Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-08-2004, 06:08 PM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna hear about my notebook fettish?

I don't know if it's just because I love paper art but I can't pass by a cute notepad, journal, etc without buying it. And it's not just the notepads, it's office supplies, pens, thumbtacks, whatever. Right now, I have 8 spiral journals on my desk(all of which were just too cute to pass up), 2 pads of paper, a stack of sticky notes and probably 20 pens, one is my favorite, it's the Dr. Grip which is a pen and a pencil in one. Plus everyone knows I love notepads and such so they get me more for gifts, which I love, don't get me wrong. Then there's my refrigerator which has tons of magnetic notepads for grocery lists, etc. I gotta have one for every mood. Oh, and how about my purse, there's a decorated sticky note pad, and a journal for sketching cute card ideas I see in magazines. And for recipes, I probably have 10 different kinds of cute 4 x 6 recipe cards. I even have one of those little door hanger white boards in my bathroom so I can doodle while I toodle. Does anyone else like notepads and office supplies as much as I do??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 06:27 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, my, yes! The Dr. Grip dual pen/pencil is the best! I buy new pens every time I go grocery shopping. Heaven help me if I go to Walmart. My pens are stored in big flower pots. And paper...don't get me started. I have a book case full of note pads, etc. I think I've been to Offic Max six times since Friday. I just like being there. I sure am glad I'm not the only one!

Darla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Yes Yes yes! I have an office supply fetish too. The pens, the note books, the little pads. School Supply time is the worst. I want one of everything! I'm horrible about notebooks, always buying a special one, or pretty one and then never using it because I dont have anything special enough to write in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thank goodness someone responded, I got to thinking that maybe this is kind of weird. I LOVE school shopping for my girls, I get to relive one of my favorite childhood memories. I didn't care about clothes, but that school aisle was like heaven. I can remember my mom sprang for the BIG Crayola box one year.....ya you know the one, with the *sharpener*. I was hot stuff I thought. When I got the school supply list this year it said "2 plain folders". How boring, so we got the coolest ones we could find plus all the glittery pencils and neat pencil sharpeners. Oh my, I think a Target run is in order........did you see the $1.00 section with all those cute notepads. I spent $48 on $1.00 items the other day.......ya know, you wouldn't want to run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I have a notebook and paper fetish. (I like that word! LOL) It all started in Japan in 1990. They have the coolest stores and stuff.

Before I knew it, I had around 100 different packages of stationary. Of course, I never wrote on them because they were just too interesting.

There are entire stores dedicated to nothing but pens and paper. No other office supplies. Just pens and paper.

A department store with a whole floor of nothing but pens, one floor of stationary, one of notebooks and planners. Paper and Pen heaven!

Oh and the washi paper and origami paper. *drool* Amazing stuff.

Nowadays I'm much more selective with my notebooks because "I can make that" kicks in. But those pens? Get outta my way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 07:17 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yes! Paper/pen fetish!!!! Definitely goes back to the old school supply days. Whew - so good to know I'm not the only one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 07:21 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default hee hee

and I thought I was the only freak! thanks for making me feel like I am semi normal for buying my notebooks and pens like a crazy woman stocking up for a notebook famine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Paper/Pen Fettish

ME TOO!! I am so glad to know that I am not weird. I absolutely love the back to school supply sales. I am in every aisle looking at the different pens, paper and paper organizers. Someone at work once counted 87 pens in my desk--I only like the fine point ones!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 07:46 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Fine point????? Ooooooo Noooooo. Medium point only!!!! Fine point to me is like fingernails on a chalkboard!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 08:02 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

There is nothing wrong with a paper fetish or office supply fetish!

I've had mine since I was a little girl and hope they never find a cure for it!

Oh, I inherited my paper fetish from my mother.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm VERY picky about my pens! I MUCH prefer gel pens - the good ones, not cheap ones! I love Gelly Roll (their website is awesome too!) by Sakura. I have their regular pens in all colors (incl metalic), then the Lightening ones (don't have much use for those and I've stopped buying them). Then they came out with the Stardust ones - a bolder line with glitter!! There are about 3 different sets of those. THEN, the best of all is the Moonlight ones!!! A bolder line with awesome colors that can be seen under a blacklight (but I don't have a blacklight, so I haven't seen that). I also like Pilot P-700s (medium point) and P-500's (fine point). I also like some of Sanford's gel pens, but have had some trouble with them drying out long before the ink is gone. I almost NEVER write with a ballpoint pen!

I'm actually thinking of emailing or calling Sanford about these since I have at least 50 defective pens of theirs.

As far as paper goes, I keep a journal and have for about 5 years now. I use Rollabind discs (the large ones) to hold together the Rollabind journal paper, and then I use the Levenger translucent covers (front and back). Long ago I got the Rollabind/Circa punch on Ebay for $10, so I can put anything in my journal that I can punch. Since I've gotten into paper crafting, I've been stamping/scrapbooking a cardstock cover for each journal. I just made one today with Old Olive cardstock and I used a card front I'd made using the pumpkin from Fall Whimsy and the crayon resist technique.

I think I've gone on enough - but yes, I love pens and paper!!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I'm new here, so I just have to ask:

Are you trying to say that most people are not in love with office supplies?!?

Vanessa (who is looking at her three new notebooks on the shelf right now!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Wanna hear about my notebook fetish?

Ooooh, nice topic, Michelle! Aren't we all wild for PAPER around here... I ditto the Japan reply, too. I went there six times one year and bought little things just because they would gift wrap everything absolutely perfectly in the coolest papers!!! That is one thing I remember most about my trips, in fact. I almost didn't want to give away the gifts because the receiver had to tear that wonderful paper with the perfectly creased edges.......Now I sound like a krazy kook. But, I'm sure if you ever saw the beautifully warpped, uh I mean wrapped (Freudian slip there?) packages with cool little seals on them......well, hmmmm...I do sound nutty. :twisted: Yikes!
My husband has the pen thing, I just like Gel pens in pretty colors...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 08:36 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

The best thing about when I was an Administrative Assistant was that I got to order the office supplies!!!

Everything was in COLORS!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 08:55 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Re: Wanna hear about my notebook fetish?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathi Ann
I almost didn't want to give away the gifts because the receiver had to tear that wonderful paper with the perfectly creased edges.......Now I sound like a krazy kook. But, I'm sure if you ever saw the beautifully warpped, uh I mean wrapped (Freudian slip there?) packages with cool little seals on them...
Maybe on you next trip you could bring a few empty boxes and have them wrapped instead of what you buy. Then you would get to keep the wonderfully wrapped package and still give the gift which you can just toss in a brown paper bag - well, may be you should stamp the bag a little?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

You know.. most Sanrio Surprise stores (hello kitty and friends) wrap up your purchases perfectly.. then put a sticker on it.. its so cute! I've only ever been to one store branch where they didnt' wrap it up like that, maybe they were out of paper? Heaven forbid!! P.S. I too have a paper/pen addiction.

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.com/go/londonrain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 12:03 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkuhnhausen
I have a notebook and paper fetish. (I like that word! LOL) It all started in Japan in 1990. They have the coolest stores and stuff.

Before I knew it, I had around 100 different packages of stationary. Of course, I never wrote on them because they were just too interesting.

There are entire stores dedicated to nothing but pens and paper. No other office supplies. Just pens and paper.

A department store with a whole floor of nothing but pens, one floor of stationary, one of notebooks and planners. Paper and Pen heaven!

Nowadays I'm much more selective with my notebooks because "I can make that" kicks in. But those pens? Get outta my way!
Ahh those were the days.... I lived in Japan too. ;)

Does Stamping count as Excercise??
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/zbownas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 12:04 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
Fine point????? Ooooooo Noooooo. Medium point only!!!! Fine point to me is like fingernails on a chalkboard!
AMEN!! I hate it when my pens are sharp enough to slice the paper!! ;)

Does Stamping count as Excercise??
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/zbownas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 02:05 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

OK. OK. I admit it.

I'm an office supply junkie too.

But I prefer to call myself a "stationery aficionado".
;)
NY Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 02:47 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Count me in on this one! I'm probably the Queen of this group. I'm looking right now at FIVE the plastic containers from Wal-Mart (you know the ones that are about 8x5, 3 1/2" deep with the colored tops in the office supply section - FULL of pens, gel pens and hi-liters. There are two big pencil cups full of pens on my computer desk, two more on my night stand and three more in my office at work. Yesterday I was early for an out of town meeting, so what did I do???...Found a Staples and went in and spent $39.00 buying nothing but pens! It has to be an illness! Journals and notebooks...I have a box full of them right here in the computer room, another box in the closet, and a stack of them on this computer desk! Thank goodness I'm not the only one! Maybe we should start an Office Supply Junkie Group! Help! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 04:05 AM   #21  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

OhhhH!! Too cruel! I had forgotten about those places in Hong Kong!!! When we were in HK (my husband and I met there and lived there for 5 months in 199, I would spend WAY too long at those places.

THEN, my roommate told me.... her best friend's father worked in the manufacturing and distribution center for one of the more popular paper companies. We got to go to their **outlet** and you could get huge bags of stationary for $3!!! Oh man, I had a blast! I had the cutest dim sum paper ever!! With little tiny matching stickers of talking dim sum buns

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 04:28 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Count me in - maybe that's why I feel like I've "come home" here! Very few things compare to a nice new pen or just the right pencil (the boring accountant comes through!) And how about the smell of new Crayolas? I drove my mother nuts when I was young, could spend my whole baby sitting savings at the stationery store ... I don't think she'd be relieved to know how many of us there are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 04:45 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterPixie
The best thing about when I was an Administrative Assistant was that I got to order the office supplies!!!

Everything was in COLORS!!!!!!!
Aaaahhhh, Emily.......the common complaint in my office is I don't actually go desk to desk getting their preferences in pens! (I only do that for a few people!) I, on the other hand......have the BEST selection!

Pen fetish is right. Gel pens. Drives DH crazy as he only uses "real" pens...

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 04:52 AM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hey let's hear it all of us!! I too prefer a roller ball type pen, MEDIUM point. I really like Uniball. I always keep a few new ones tucked away and my husband has found my stash. He chews on the end of every pen and it drives me nuts. Did anyone have one of those pens while growing up that had like 8 different colors, those were cool. Or how about the pencils that had 10 little refills all stacked in the pencil barrel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 05:09 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Just gotta weigh in here! I vividly remember the first time I went with my daddy into an office supply store - this was well before Office Max and the like. The store was small and dark, with shelves to the ceiling all around the walls.......it was wonderful. I was six. I couldn't wait to be in second grade because then I would need a 3-ring binder, and I could get those pastel-colored subject dividers to go in it. My favorite writing instrument is still a fountain pen...and I'll never own enough paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 05:20 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by scdecker
And how about the smell of new Crayolas?
Aaaaahhh - yes!!!!!!!

When I worked in the 'workforce' for a collectible company of about a couple hundred people, the president had this policy that only PINK post-its and PINK paper of any kind (including the 5x8 pads) were for HIS use.

That way if you rec'd a folder or something with anything pink you knew it came from him.

We all hated this, and my co-workers were 95% female.

As a result, I have mostly pink post-its, pink paper clips and pink 5x8 pads. My DH thinks I'm nuts but it stems from not being allowed to have pink for so long!! HA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 05:24 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

Ha! When I started getting my little girl ready for Kg., we checked off most of her supplies by going down to my cupboard! I had most of the things already bought from great rebates, sales and clearance! Most Mom's buy their kids' clothes ahead...I buy school supplies!!!
Quote:

This is me too!!! I had so much fun spending someone else's money on cool office supplies! We were the trendiest office around!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-09-2004, 06:10 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

OH I thought that I was the only one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that my husband has decided that it's hopeless. I went 'school shopping' with my daughter (of coarse she's homeschooled) and got all kinds of folders, notebooks, binders, college ruled paper even, pens, pencils, etc. My husband asked what we needed with the things like the notebooks and I asked him if he knew how many notebooks we used. He stopped asking at that but we didn't 'need' them, but they were on such a good sale price and I just couldn't let it go. That's not to say that we don't use the notebooks, just that we didn't 'need' more right now. :lol:

And here all this time I thought that I was the only one that had a problem with the office supply stuff and back to school isles.

I think you've all made my day! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 06:37 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

My family makes fun of me all the time about this!! I love little notebooks, notepaper, notepads - you name it! They also think I'm a little wierd because I become very attached to my pens. My absolute favorite is my little Pilot Retractable Fine Point - blue ink - we've been together for 10 years now!! My boys really get a kick out of that - when they need a check for something they start hollering "Somebody find "The Pen"! Oh well, it could be something worse, right?

Sharon

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/sharon_worley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 06:43 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I love pens too! I have so many different kinds. My favorite is a basic papermate blue medium pen, and they are cheap but they write so good. I hate the little ink globs or when it gets real faint.

Now you guys have me wanting to go to office max on my lunch break, it just happens to be really close. I'll have to pick up one of the Dr. Grip pen/pencils, I have been wanting one but just seem to never get one yet.
hmmm....what else....

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 07:18 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default School Supplies

I too am glad to hear that I'm not the only one with an office/school supply addiction!!! My girls tell everybody how I just can't stop buying notebooks, crayons, school glue, folders, etc. every year when the specials are on just before school starts! But, really now, this IS the best time to buy, the prices are never better all year! When I started with SU I had to pay $0.35 for folders that I usually get for $0.10 during the back to school sale. Not now, I'm stocked up! I really had to fight the urge to buy more crayons and glue this year, as I still have several un-opened packages from last year, or the year before... But, now that I've learned about Viking...well, I have a great supply of legal pads under my stamp table, and they are such beautiful colors too!

And, by the way, even though my oldest is in college and the youngest is a Senior in High School, where do you think they come for paper, and notebooks? um hummm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 07:29 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Me, too!! Paper, pens, stickers - you name it!! Especially POST ITS!!! Oy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Some day a long time from now some relative will be cleaning out your things. As they go from one room to the next, they'll be wondering if you really thought you would use all those pens, pencils, notebooks, etc. The place they donate all those boxes to will be so thankful for the multiple years worth of supplies that they will build a new art room in your memory - with the money that they no longer needed to spend on those supplies.

I, on the other hand, prefer to do my donating over time vs all in one lump. So, whenever my pencil point gets a little too dull or my crayons a little too rounded. I just drop them off at a local church or some other place that has a lot of kids. My time is too valuable to sharpen pencils or crayons! Just think if I were to sit here and do that, I might miss out on the best sale price ever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 10:38 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew I had found a home on this site! This thread just proves it! My friends had me thinking I was insane in my love/fetish for office supplies. This just proves I am not alone! My favorite part of getting ready for back-to-school was shopping for the perfect school supplies!

After law school, I just decided I couldn't deal with my office's idea of appropriate office supplies, and just started getting my own. I have a serious pen fetish and MUST have the perfect legal pads and appropriate color post-its!

However, my love of office supplies has been tempered by my newest love - stamps, stamps, and MORE STAMPS!!!

Here's to all of us addicts!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Default Notebook Fettish

Girlfriend if you are weird then I am really weird. Let me tell you I stopped by the Dollar General store yesterday and I know the guy at the checkout thinks I am weird. But then he was a little weird too. He kept staring at me. :shock: LOL I bought like 20 notebooks so I can stamp them up cute for friends, teachers, and myself(shhh). I am truly sick.haha I saw some neat ones in the left over "back to school" stuff. They have a plasticky (new word I just invented) front so I just stamped one with Black Stazon to try it out for a teacher notebook. I am going to post it shortly. I will add the teacher's name after it is posted... Will have to raid the store again before they are gone now that I know it will work!!

Oh, and then I was at Walmart this morning and saw these really nifty magnet Write ON Wipe Off magnet thingies. You can buy extra pens. Got the last one though here so will have to wait for some more. I am going to stamp something on them also. Will post this in a while too. They are only about 3 by 3 I would say. There will be a rush on these after the post just because they are something new to stamp on. I am not sure what I will stamp on it yet but will be something small. The whole back part is a magnet. I am going to stick one to the front door so I can write notes to myself. My brain is constantly in overload...

Anyway, we all need therapy I think.haha :lol: I will be the first to sign up with a support group.ha

Check out my posts in a little while...SMILES!!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/stampaway
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 10:44 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

I'm so glad to find others just like me. I could spend hours browsing through Staples and Office Depot, not to mention the office supply aisles at Target and Walmart. You just never know what cool new stuff they'll come out with next, and it's not like cool new baby stuff that you don't have any use for now that the kids are older. You can always use office supplies. (Yes, I was obsessed with baby supplies too)

I think it's hereditary. My father has an enormous collection of mechanical pencils, and lots of pens. I don't like writing with pencils though. I've got to have a medium point ballpoint pen that's chubby (to help my carpal tunnel). I've been trying to talk my dad out of his Mont Blanc ballpoint, but he won't cough it up even though he doesn't use it anymore.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 11:12 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4Him
I'm VERY picky about my pens! I MUCH prefer gel pens - the good ones, not cheap ones! ... - but yes, I love pens and paper!!Susan
No cheapo pens for me; fountain pens when ever I can get away with it.

And as far as being a "stationery aficionado", I just gave 9yo DD my last "teenager stationery pad" ... it had Ziggy (remember him?) on it with a bunch of sayings including "they're coming to take you away, ha,ha,ho,ho,he,he".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 03:18 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MICHELLE WOODERSON
Thank goodness someone responded, I got to thinking that maybe this is kind of weird. I LOVE school shopping for my girls, I get to relive one of my favorite childhood memories. I didn't care about clothes, but that school aisle was like heaven. I can remember my mom sprang for the BIG Crayola box one year.....ya you know the one, with the *sharpener*. I was hot stuff I thought. When I got the school supply list this year it said "2 plain folders". How boring, so we got the coolest ones we could find plus all the glittery pencils and neat pencil sharpeners. Oh my, I think a Target run is in order........did you see the $1.00 section with all those cute notepads. I spent $48 on $1.00 items the other day.......ya know, you wouldn't want to run out.
I havent been to target lately. Well at least not the one here in seattle. My BF thought I was nuts when I bought office supplies while on vacation! I need to go this weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing the new dollar section.

Oh and did you know Crayola is doing custom color boxes??
Cool stuff huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 03:21 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Japanese notebooks are exciting arent they? I use one at work as my daily taking notes book, and its almost full, so it's time to go shopping! *droools* Every thing is smooth and fun to touch, or cutesy and fun to play with .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 05:08 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

So, does that mean you all are hoarding mini composition notebooks? I'm having a hard time finding any much less some on sale!
Reply With Quote Likes