Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2004, 08:30 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OH if our Hubby's only knew.....

Oh, if our hubby's only knew that we really don't save any money by stamping our own hand made card instead of buying them at Hallmark!!!!!!!

I just got done stampin' & was putting away my stamp sets when I realized how many I have, about 60. Now, I know this is nothing compaired to what others may have but HOLY MOLEY....60 is A LOT.
Heck if the average stamp set is $20.00 than I've got over $1200 in just stamp sets.

SO, my mind started to rack....
$1200 in stamp sets
$400 in ink pads & reinkers
$400+ in card stocks
$500+ in accessories (ribbon,eyelets,hemp,cording,brads, the list goes on)
=====
$2500+ in rubber stampin' products. UFDAH! :oops:

Now, I've only been stamping for 3 years, and I'm a "hobby Demo" so I don't make much in my SU! business. I highly doubt that I would have other wise spend $2500 in gretting cards in those 3 years!

However....my hubby is yet to figure this out (he he).... So, I guess I can keep using the infamous line..."honey, it's FREE for me to make cards rather than buying them." Oh the poor thing...he falls for it everytime!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't think my DH thinks of all my stuff in monetary terms. To him, it is mostly something that I am passionate about and keeps me happy, just like his wood working, though his hobby actually helps him make money. He knows how much I enjoy stamping and doesn't say much about the cost of it, just lets me know when I need to hold back for a while because of unexpected bills. Such a good guy!

www.cafemom.com/home/VoreisTwins
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 08:39 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

why not approach it from the same perspective as some do the homemaker profession... it's been calculated that a stay-at-home mom would make about $100,000 if paid accordingly.

so if you factor in the therapeutic aspect we get alone - I'll bet the numbers look a lot better...

HA

:-D
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Patriot
why not approach it from the same perspective as some do the homemaker profession... it's been calculated that a stay-at-home mom would make about $100,000 if paid accordingly.

so if you factor in the therapeutic aspect we get alone - I'll bet the numbers look a lot better...

HA

Michelle
OOOHHHH very very true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 10:21 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Alta Loma, CA ~~ With the *Girls* ~~~~~~~ Rubi, BeckyZ and Bia

You are never, never to mention this out load or in type again --- you never know who may be listening lol :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 10:40 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Paris,
You are looking at this totally wrong!

First of all, you have to count all of the money that you received back on your taxes over the last three years. Since you are a demonstrator they are "business expenses". So if you had $500 per year back in tax refunds then you have only really spent $1000, (not $2500).

Secondly, you would never have spent $1000 on cards at Hallmark in 3 years but, the stamp stuff will last you the rest of your life! So let's say you are going to live at least 50 more years. Over those 50 years you will send many cards: birthdays, thank yous, anniversaries, Christmas, Easter, sympathy, graduation, wedding, babies, Valentines, RAKs, etc. For only a $1000 investment! That is only $20 a year!

Plus as a bonus you can create so many non-card items: scrapbooks, coasters, notepads, pens, candles, soap, magnets, tiles, jewelry. All for FREE because you already invested in the supplies!

Lastly, the stamps will only go up in value in the future. If you ever decided to sell them they would be "collectors items" since they will be retired and unavailable for purchase.

So far you have been making very wise financial decisions by investing in Rubber Stamps, Inks, and Accessories. It is my opinion that you should continue to do so whenever possible.

This is the way I argue it at my house and so far it is working great. I passed the 60 stamps set mark long, long ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:15 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiejjackson
You are never, never to mention this out load or in type again --- you never know who may be listening lol :lol:
I agree!!!

Paris ~ I pull the same thing with my DH all the time. Think of the $$$ I save by making cards. Oooohhh, but if he only knew the cost involved. But, I have yet to make any masculine cards. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:20 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Paris,
Well now that you put it that way I am feeling guilty Ok only a wee little bit!
I have only been stamping a little over a year now and I have 60 sets!! I figure with stamping and scrapbooking (CMC for 4 years) I have well over $5000 in my little closet room! And that is being conservative!
My DH does know it is a lot but I dont think he would even dream there was that much in there.....
I love it!
I do however like the way that Patriot thinks!!! I think we fully deserve all the wonderful things we buy simply because we are home 24/7 taking care of our families. (for those of us who do not work outside of the home...)
Sure dont want to give up this hobby!!!
Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:15 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

10 sessions with a therapist @ 100.00 an hour = $1000.00
Antidepressents and tranquilizers = $400.00 per year if you have an insurance plan. Thats $1400.00 per year times 3 years is $4200.00. Take $4200.00 and divide it by the average cost of a stamp set which I figure is about $25.00 a set and that comes to 168 sets. Heck I think you still owe yourself more just for your piece of mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:28 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

When my neighbor across the street says to me, "Well Cindy, is there a stamp set you DON'T have?"

I tell her, "Ya know, I could be into shoes... Manolo Blanik, Chanel and Jimmy Choo - but I like to craft and I simply love stamps."

I once read that the shoe collection that Sarah Jessica Parker had on Sex in the City (which DH has seen and knows what her character's (Carrie's)closet looks like) was over half a mil.

I'm sure my DH would settle for my obsession with stamps over shoes anytime!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:49 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My hubby thinks I'm getting my stuff free!
LOL
NY Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:56 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Patriot

HA

Michelle
Yup, what she said! And what Pagemaster said.
And I only WISH my DH thought what Nan's husband does! LOL

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 05:04 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, he's hardly ever home when the goods come in, so it's easier to get away with.
(snicker, snort)
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 05:37 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

SHH~
Why do you think I have my SU box's delivered to my work??
Really, he made a comment once before I signed up to be a demo, but I said "do you really want to start compairing $ spent on my stamps compaired to $ spend on fishing and hunting equipment" End of conversation! Never brought up agian!

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 07:51 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

something I just remembered... when I found SU, I too used the "think how much we are saving by me making cards instead of buying them..." well husband wasn't falling for that... "You never would have sent a card in the first place, so no you're not saving money".. but he just laughed... (as long as I don't use the CC - he's totally ok...)

and of course mom is glad I'm finally off my duff and sending real cards versus e-cards now... so it's all good

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 08:14 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I cannot believe you actually said that HERE!!!! :shock: :shock:

What if my dh was reading over my shoulder or something? That would have been the end of me! I still get away with saying that I actually save money in the long run! Plus he likes that his job of having to run out and buy a card for someone at work is done. lol

Now, I know it was a mistake and I will let it slide this time as dh is still asleep, but next time I will come thru the puter and kick your butt! :lol:
How big a girl are you? *those of you who have heard Roy D Mercer out of a radio station in Tulsa OK know what I am talking about lol*
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 08:16 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the stamps and equipment sent to my house!

But I have the credit card bill sent to work!!!!!!
LOL
Naughty NY Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 08:18 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by datgh
10 sessions with a therapist @ 100.00 an hour = $1000.00
Antidepressents and tranquilizers = $400.00 per year if you have an insurance plan. Thats $1400.00 per year times 3 years is $4200.00. Take $4200.00 and divide it by the average cost of a stamp set which I figure is about $25.00 a set and that comes to 168 sets. Heck I think you still owe yourself more just for your piece of mind.
I like that line of thinking...I wonder if I should start having "therapy sessions" instead of Stamp Camps!
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 08:20 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Paris: Never, never ever give your DH your pass word here or allow him to sign on himself. This is a SCARED PLACE !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 08:21 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by alasku2stamp
How big a girl are you? *those of you who have heard Roy D Mercer out of a radio station in Tulsa OK know what I am talking about lol*
That's Roy Damn Mercer to you. Ever had your ***** whooped? You 'bout to!

LOL LOLOLOL

I don't have him here on the radio but I did by one of his CD's. Oh Lordie, I nearly peed myself laughing so hard!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 08:33 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hey! At least what you're spending money on lasts for a long time and gets used!!!

My DH like to collect action figures (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and now he is threatening Robotech).

Nan - You crack me up!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 08:56 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL! Too funny!

My dh mentioned he realizes that any "interest" that is not work related, whether it's fishing, hunting, drag-racing, gardening, etc. costs money. Some folks buy clothing, shoes, electronic gadgets; everybody has their priorities on where to spend their fun money...

What matters is that it brings joy, relieves stress, feeds the soul! He wouldn't say it quite that verbosely, being a guy, but he understands the concept and is in agreement.

Especially when he considers the cost of visiting brew pubs, attending professional sporting events with the guys, fishing with his buddies ....and the list goes on ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I can't believe that you are talking about this as it just came up last night. I am preparing for my first open house, and I am planning what I will do and say, etc.... My DH crops up with - "And don't forget to tell them how much money they'll save on buying cards!" He was TOTALLY serious. I faked astonishment and said "that's right - that is a good point to mention!". Hilarious. But truly I will mention that at least this hobby gives you the opportunity to share your interests with others in the form of cards, gifts etc... (unlike golf or action figure collecting or whatever!!)
Melissa in Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Whew! and I thought that I was the only one that had to bring the SU goods in when DH wasn't home....I see that I'm not alone. I guess you can say that I now have a new addiction...RUBBER STAMPING! I've only been stamping for 1.5 years and already I have over 120 sets, not to mention every stamp pad color and the markers and pencils and the list goes on and on. Every once in a while I slip up and leave a new bag of stuff on the counter and DH asks me what I could possibly need with another circle punch or stamp set...I usually answer his question with a question, and it goes something like this, "what do you need with another hammer or screwdriver? you must have 50 of each?" He has yet to respond to my question with an answer or another question.

I think he realizes that our collections (his tools and my stampin accessories) are much the same. Are they? That's the question of the day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 10:51 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

My hubby doesn't say a word since rubber stamps are MUCH more inexpensive than his vintage car :shock: collection!

LOL! sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

My hubby doesn't say a word since rubber stamps are MUCH more inexpensive than his vintage car collection!
Holy crap, that's an expenisve collection! Just think of all the toys you could have if you tried to match him!

www.cafemom.com/home/VoreisTwins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:18 AM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

A little tip.....when my husband looks into my craft room and sees my armoires full of stamp sets, he just shakes his head like "don't you have enough"? I just remind him of how good of a "mood" :twisted: :shock: it puts me in and he shuts right up and says "keep on stampin, dear, whatever makes you happy". And then he's always asleep by the time I get to bed, so no problem! I've got it all worked out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 06:56 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

ROFL Michelle... I will have to remember that one!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 07:13 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Michelle...that is a good one! I will also have to remember that!

I also feel a bit relieved to know I am not alone....I have been rushing home this week to "intercept" the mail! It's getting a bit stressful, since DH and I leave work at the same time...and are about the same distance from home. Luckily, he has to pick up DS! Gives me just enough time to get rid of the evidence! Hopefully the bill I am looking for will come tomorrow and I can stop this silly game....until next month!

must clear my browser tonight, and log out of SCS....just in case!
kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by alasku2stamp
I cannot believe you actually said that HERE!!!! :shock: :shock:

What if my dh was reading over my shoulder or something? That would have been the end of me! I still get away with saying that I actually save money in the long run! Plus he likes that his job of having to run out and buy a card for someone at work is done. lol

Now, I know it was a mistake and I will let it slide this time as dh is still asleep, but next time I will come thru the puter and kick your butt! :lol:
TOOO TOOOOO FUNNY! I'll watch myself next time....I'm too much of a wimp and you could kick my ***** even if I was bigger.

YOu all make me laugh soooo hard. I would love to respond to everyones input! But that would take tooo long. Just know that every single one of you have me ROF!! This is why I love SCS.

I've got a new one.......
Day at the spa to relieve stress $500
Vacation to Hawaii to relieve stress $5000
Supplies for rubber stamping to relieve stress.....priceless!!!

PS. I don't log off everytime and my DH HAS logged on as me a few times....I better learn to log out....can't let him read this tread. AAAHHHH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:07 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I was just thinking about becoming a demo, I asked my dh what he thought, I told him the start up cost was $200 and he asked me if I would use $200 worth of stuff. I casually asked him, should I tell you how much I have already spent in the past year? He just replied "Go for it". I must mention however, he is a huge hunter and fisherman. (Just got back from Africa 2 weeks ago and Alaska last night) And has a jeep that he uses exclusively for hunting and camping trips and of course it has been modified beyond belief. Anyway what I would spend for SU stuff will probably never, ever add up to what he spends and has spent over the years. So basically I could spend whatever I want whenever I want and he wouldn't begrudge me the pleasure it gives me. (What a guy) Too bad guilt will get the best of me at about $150. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiejjackson
Too bad guilt will get the best of me at about $150. :lol:
Debbie:
Don't worry we'll help you get past the guilt! Isn't that what friends are for?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:20 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Pam -

Some how I knew I could count on you!

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:25 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I try to do my part to make this site the best that it can be! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

PS. I don't log off everytime and my DH HAS logged on as me a few times....I better learn to log out....can't let him read this tread. AAAHHHH
Change your username and avatar too. In other words, go into hiding. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes