Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which are better..the old SU markers or the newer ones?

I have the option of purchasing either the older set of Stampin Up! Many Marvelous Markers or else the new set. Because I "just have to have it all" I do plan on buying the extra colours as well (if I buy the new set, I will purchase separately the old colours that were discontinued. However, if I buy the old set, I then purchase separately the new colours that have come out) so I won't have the issue of missing any colours.

Can anyone tell me:
1. the differences between the 2 sets and the changes they made
2. the advantages/disadvantages of the 2 sets
3. I noticed that the black area on the older ones is longer....does that mean the older ones contain more ink?
4. Has the ink been changed at all (ie. even if the colour name stayed the same, was the ink the same between the old and new sets)
5. what were the new colours and which ones were discontinued
6. any other input

Thanks!

Weezie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

well, I'm not the authority on SU markers, but my personal expericence is that the older ones hold their tip better...I had a chance, like you, between the old and new...luckily I had both sets side-by-side to do a comparison. The older ones were still very juicy(may have been used less, dunno) but the obvious difference was the tip! The new ones were not as sharp or firm..I stuck with the old ones ( :
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

sheesh, that's experience...( :
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

No idea. I just know that I have had the old set since they came out & they are as juicy as when I bought them. Some colors have changed a bit..........bliss blue (the lightest blue) changed. I think some have moved on & others replaced them. I've added a couple that I just lay between the rows. I LOVE my markers. Love doing the thumping. As some will see on the pen pal list. My 3rd card going out is thumped.

Carol
in IN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The markers I bought 4 years ago are still going strong and plenty juicy even after lots of use.

The 6 new SU markers I bought in 2006 are already running out of ink with very little use.

No question in my mind, get the older markers.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree - my old set has just as much color as a new pen. However, my pixie pink is already 'out'....I rarely use my markers so I was disappointed with the new ones. The other color that ran out early was a new green one - the dark forest color...can't remember the name right now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hate to say it, but I'd say go for the older markers. The tips DO last longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

I bought the entire SU box set about 3-4 years ago and most of them are already dried out. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviView Post
I bought the entire SU box set about 3-4 years ago and most of them are already dried out. :(
For what SU is charging for them, they should last a very long time:( I wonder why the older ones are so much better, and why they felt the need to change them? How long do Copics last, anyone had them for a couple years now?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought the entire set in late 1990's (actually my husband got it for me)and I have only had 2 dry out. I agree, the old set was more durable.
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I bought mine 3 years ago, use them a lot, and they are all still going strong.

I have also purchased a few of the new colors and have to say...they are all still going strong too.

Hope you have good results with which ever you choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

All of the markers in my original set are still juicy, as are all of the new colors I have purchased since. However, I store my markers on their sides and I always double check that the cap is snapped on all the way. Sometimes it seems that they are closed, but it's not quite snapped on all the way. They recommend storing them horizontally, not vertically.

Old colors:
Positively Pink
Baroque Burgundy
Eggplant Envy
Forest Foliage
Marvelous Magenta
Rose Romance
Bliss Blue
Mauve Mist
Mint Melody

The new colors that were added when the old were retired are:
Pixie Pink
Pumpkin Pie
Handsome Hunter
Always Artichoke
So Saffron
Regal Rose
Bravo Burgundy
Elegant Eggplant
Apricot Appeal
Certainly Celery
Bashful Blue

The reason there are 9 retired colors and 11 replacements is because they took grey and black out of the color line up and added them to a neutrals group.
Hope this helps.

My Gallery
Capricious Creations

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Paula, this is great! Thank you for posting it.
-June
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 05:32 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I have both some old and a full set of the new. I really like the old ones better, the tips are much better for writing on the old markers, the new ones if you push too hard they spray tiny droplets of ink out. Very frustrating, I have to remember to have a very light hand when writing with the new. All my old markers are nice and juicy still, got them from my mom who had them for 3-4 years I think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default Now I'm REALLY confused on which ones are the old and which ones are new...

I assumed that the old style of marker had a smoother lid whereas the new ones had a different type of lid (has a grip sort of thing on the side of the cap). Also, that the black part of the marker was shorter on the new ones than on the older style. And thirdly, that the cardboard insert or label on the old style was a darker blue where the new style label was lighter blue.
I also assumed that all the above changes came about when they updated and changed some of the colors and thus some of the older colours were not available with the newer lid style...but now I think I had it wrong and am not really sure what is considered the old style.
Of course, I am just getting into stamping so this is the first time I've ever seen any of the markers...old or new.
The confusion that I am having is that I was looking at a set which I assumed where the older style (because the label is the older, darker blue and the colours include the older, discontinued colours)...but yet they have the newer lid style. I just assumed that the older colours wouldn't be available in the newer lid style.
I hope this makes sense and that I haven't confused everyone as much as I've confused myself!
I guess my problem now is, I'm not really sure which style would be considered the "old" style and which style would be considered the "new" style...and since most people here have recommended the "old" style, I want to make sure that I get the right ones.
Am I right to assume that the "old" style is the one with the smooth lids, but then they changed the style of lids/pen (but the packaging stayed basically the same) and THEN after that they changed some of the colours as well as changed the packaging to the light blue colour?
I know this is a really trivial question, but I want to make sure that I'm on the right track here and that I'm getting the right ones.

Thanks

Weezie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the whole set of new markers and Im not too impressed with them at all..I had one dry up almost one month after I got them and I have several more that are dried up. My Tombo markers have lasted years and are still going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I love them all! I had the old ones and bought a set of new ones when they changed. I've had my new ones for a long time now (bought the new set durring SAB after they changed), about 2 1/2 years. they're still great!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New markers have lines at each end - thin line at fine point end, thicker line at brush tip end. I think that change happened with the colour change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

I have the "OLD" set of markers for 5 years now and only one has dried up, almost my least favorite color (barely banana). I do keep them on their side, with the top tightly closed. All of my tips appear to be in great shape, but I am not a demo and they only get used by me! I do have the set of newer colors and I haven't noticed a big difference in the quality of them as opposed to the older ones!

I do live in a very dry climate and have to constantly re-ink my cartridges, though, so I am surprised my markers have held up so well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weezie :0)View Post
I assumed that the old style of marker had a smoother lid whereas the new ones had a different type of lid (has a grip sort of thing on the side of the cap). Also, that the black part of the marker was shorter on the new ones than on the older style. And thirdly, that the cardboard insert or label on the old style was a darker blue where the new style label was lighter blue.

I hope this makes sense and that I haven't confused everyone as much as I've confused myself!
This makes perfect sense, because a number of changes have happened to the packaging in recent years.

Here is a picture that may help:Which are better..the old SU markers or the newer ones?-su-ink-n-markers.jpg

The picture shows two of the old style markers, and one new style.

And here is a timeline of changes SU made to their ink colors and packaging, based on what I could find in my stack of old IBCs (Idea Book & catalogs):

2000-2001 IBC Color change: Lucious Lime replaced by Creamy Caramel
2002-2003 IBC Ink Pad style changed
2003-2004 IBC New Marker style.
2005-2006 12 new colors, 9 colors retired. New style of printing for the ink pads (I liked the older way better, because the color name was printed on the edge of the pad)

So, the old colors were available in both marker styles, since the big color changed occurred 2 years after the marker style changed. I think the packaging color changed from the darker blue to the lighter blue the year the new colors came out, but I am not sure about that.

As for which are better? All of my SU markers are working fine, except for the fine tip on a couple of the newer ones. My oldest markers are 7 years old and they are going strong. I have always stored them on their sides.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a set of the newer markers, about 3 years old, and they're still going strong. No problems at all with the tips. I also have two of the journalers, and I don't like them at all. They both work with the broader tip, which is too broad IMO for journaling, but the fine tip doesn't work at all on either of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, 2katjes...that is awesome!
From the photo you posted though, it appears (to me) that both of these are actually older styles, with the newest, current style being almost identical to the one at the bottom of your photo except they now have a thick and thin line on them?

Sorry for the confusion and I apologize for being a pest, but for those who said they liked the "old" style much better, can you tell me which "old" ones do you mean? The one with the smoother cap (oldest one)? Or the one that looks almost like the current ones but without the lines (2nd oldest one)?

Thanks!

Weezie

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2katjesView Post
This makes perfect sense, because a number of changes have happened to the packaging in recent years.

Here is a picture that may help:Attachment 65274
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

From the photo you posted though, it appears (to me) that both of these are actually older styles, with the newest, current style being almost identical to the one at the bottom of your photo except they now have a thick and thin line on them?
Good point, mine don't have any lines on them. I have to look at the pic of either brush or bullet tip to determine which is which. I still don't like the journalers, though ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion and I apologize for being a pest, but for those who said they liked the "old" style much better, can you tell me which "old" ones do you mean? The one with the smoother cap (oldest one)? Or the one that looks almost like the current ones but without the lines (2nd oldest one)?

Thanks!

Weezie

The marker in front is the new style ('new', meaning how SU markers have looked since 2003.) The two markers behind it are the old style. The old style ones do have smoother caps and there are lines near the cap on the fine tip end of the marker.

Funny, how after all these years I never noticed those lines! To determine which end I have, I look for the picture of the shape of the tip, like you have to do with the new markers. Actually, I pull off a cap, realize it is the wrong end, replace the cap and flip the pen around. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes