Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who knew I could get run out of a store looking for stamping stuff

So, I have had the repeated problem at Mike's lately. Before I start with the recent saga, I need to back up. A few weeks ago, I was in the store looking at ribbons and stamping treasures. I heard someone coming so I moved out of the way of their cart. This woman said, "Oh, I hate people who don't know what they are doing and just come in here to look around!!" I don't know what snapped, but I looked at the lady and burst into tears. I normally don't cry in the middle of stores for no reason. Anyway, there I was with my two $1 stamps and spool of ribbon. I looked at the lady and said "I am sorry, I was not trying to bother anyone. I just wanted to buy some stamps and go home and make a few cards for my friends. I did not know you had to be a professional to shop here." Of course as I am doing this, I am thinking "What are you doing talking to this strange woman and why are you crying??" Anyway, I take my eyes off her and look around and there are a dozen people looking at us. Several started to clap. I wanted to crawl in the floor and run away. The lady just muttered some four letter words and left. I slithered to the check out. When I was in line, this man who I never met came up and said "Excuse me, my wife and I would like to buy your things today. We agreed with what you said." Even more embarrassed, I accepted his offer and left with my three dollars of treasures.

Anyway, I thought it was over. I went home. I stamped. I tried to forget my random tears in the store. Well, this weekend, I braved the store to get something for a new project. I slipped in hoping to avoid humiliation. I was reading the back of an ink pad when I hear "Oh, look who is taking too much time in the store again." I looked up to see the mean lady with her cart. She moved toward me really fast and stopped about an inch from me. She glared and said "This store is for people who know what they are doing." I look up kind of perplexed. She grunted and walked away.

Now, I am not a crafting genius, but is that really needed? Shouldn't crafts be fun???? I would argue with the lady, but I don't think she cares. I might make a card that says smile in case I see her again, but I don't think she would appreciate it :(

Thank you for letting me vent.
Kate

My Blog - Just me and the dog (stamping too)

My little gallery.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I would call the manager of that store and report her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #3  
8 Cow Woman

Wow :shock:

Honey, she's got other issues going on. Ignore her, she's not worth stressing over. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

WOW, what a story and what a RUDE woman! I know you felt embarassed with what happened, but I think it's cool that all those people clapped for you and those people did a nice thing for you in line by paying for your stuff! What a nice gesture on their part. I cannot believe how RUDE that women was though and then to try to clip you with her cart yet ... sounds like she must have something wrong with her to do that to you. Just keep going there and doing what you do ... and taking your time ... you certainly are just as welcome there as she is (and probably more welcome if she acts like this to other people too).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY HECK!

It's ALL her, she's horrid. You are soooooo in the right. Of course you cried, who expects to be accosted by random mean chicks in stores! And TWICE! Don't let her get you down! I'm SURE, really SURE that Michaels welcomes people to come in and gaze at stuff and think about purchasing it.

What you said though was perfect. It clearly didn't help or affect her but that's good. Enjoy your life. Enjoy it DOUBLE, clearly she's not enjoying hers!

I don't know who this woman thinks she is but I'm so angry at her on your behalf!

WOW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

That is the craziest thing i've ever heard. I'm so sorry you've experienced this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

also I like your dog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

OMG!!! I totally feel for you. I am one of those who like to take my time and look at the new products and color coordinate, look for bargains, etc. I cant stand when people come and like push their way into what im looking at, and i usually walk away and come back to the isle later. (I dont really get to browse too much, with my 2 yr. old in tow, so when I go alone, i like to look around.) I cannot believe that this woman actually said something to you though. WOW....thats pretty bad. And yes, crafts are supposed to be fun and a way for us to let loose from all the other things we do during the day. I think i would have cried too, thats just downright terrible...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

This woman has deep issues, and they have nothing to do with you! If she talks to a stranger that way, imagine how lovely she might be with her family!

I have had similar problems like that but I dont think I've ever run into them again. Im sorry this happened, but hopefully it wont bother you for long.

But if you should run into her again I would definately say something to the manager about her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have never heard anything so awful and completly RANDOM! Every store is for browsing, heck there is even a kind of shopping that describes that... "Window Shopping". I spend over an hour in Mikes per trip on a regular basis.

That lady has some serious issues. I would definately report her if you see her again or maybe even describe her the next time you are there. I bet you are not the only person she is rude to. I would hate to see you get intimidated and not go back to Michaels over someone like that.

Sending you many hugs -michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #11  
Sassy Shani

<---is shaking her head! What a FREAK! I am so sorry you have had a rough time in the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Holy cow! I've never heard of anyone being accosted by a crafting bully! Jen's right, the woman has issues. I can't even think of anything I'd say to her right now...:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really love the good part of this story ...the RAK from the other people in the store.

As for this mean poopyhead woman who keeps confronting you ... ignore her. What a poor, miserable, sad sack of a person she must be to have to say such nasty things to strangers. Feel sorry for her ... she's clearly miserable and hating life. What a sad way to be.

Oh - and stand your ground. Just look at her and do not move from where you are. Just glance at her and then go back to what you are doing and then think about the nice people in the store that one day, which will bring a smile to your face which will TOTALLY irk Miss Poopyhead! tee hee!

(((HUGS)))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I like my dog too! She is a good girl. I came home and told her about it. She went and got me one of her favorite toys. Ahhh, that is love

My Blog - Just me and the dog (stamping too)

My little gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

She's mentally ill and you have the right to complain to the manager about her abuse. I'll bet she's been tossed out of other stores and Micheal's just hasn't caught on to her yet. We are with the other customers who were clapping for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

This is the first case of "craft rage" I've ever heard of. I am utterly speechless... and that's incredible in itself!

I have never heard of this type of harassment from a total stranger like this inside a large store like M's. You have done nothing to bring out this behavior, and I agree, you need to speak to the manager about the situation. She may be doing this to others, and sounds like she's quite disturbed. I sincerely hope you never see or hear from this bazaar woman again.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

She's rotten.

BUT - if I were you, this is what I'd do. I'd make her a card and keep it in my purse. Next time I saw her - if she said something insulting or not, I'd give it to her.

I would put a nice note in it about how we all have bad days and sometimes, just a stranger's kind word is all it takes to turn it around. How you realize something is bothering her, etc... but that you hope it all works out etc.

Ok - I'd make it sound better than that. BUT - seriously, she needs some prayers.

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

What an awful experience!

But clearly this woman is mentally unbalanced in some way. I know a heck of a lot of stampers, have shopped with a heck of a lot of stampers, and I can tell you one thing we all have in common... we like to take our time browsing at all the stamping goodies in the store. I'll circle my LSS three times - slowly - looking at the same stuff just in case I missed something.

So you know what? Next time you go in there, hold your head high, and if you run into the woman, and she harrasses you again, call the store manager, and if need be, call the police. You are just as entitled to shop there as anyone else, and she is a menace who clearly needs professional help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

(((((((hugs)))))))
Don't you worry what that woman says. You go in that store anytime you want to and take alllllllllllllll the time that you want to take. The next time you see THAT WOMAN and she says something to you, just say something like, " Oh, yeah, you're that woman that everyone in the store dreads seeing come through the door." Let her worry about what people think of her.

Those stores are for everyone, beginner to professional. She is an extremely rude, arrogant jerk and she does not deserve your attention. I am so sorry that someone like this is trying to ruin what should be an enjoyable experience for you. If she continues, please let the management know. She is probably doing others that way also.

There are a lot of good people that go to that store. That is evident by the way they cheered you and paid for your purchase. Don't let the inconsiderate harassment of one stop you from going. You are not alone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

Try to shake this off and not let it haunt you. Easier said than done, I know. I am shocked that you had the first run-in and really shocked that the same person saw you and said something AGAIN! What is wrong with her? I would take the chicken's way out and never shop at that particular one again, which is easy to do here in SoCal, not so easy if you live in a small town.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Oh my GOSH! What a mean person. Maybe you should make her one of those "U suck" cards to keep in your purse in case you see her again. Maybe she's going through menopause and can't handle the mood swings at home so she goes to Michael's to accost people. (No offense to anyone going through this, I just remember what my mom was like.)

Ooooooh... Or maybe you could just make a "Mean people suck." sign and if you should see her again, just hold up the sign.

As IF there are rules for who can and can't shop at Michaels. Sheeeesh.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Nothing like making someone what pop you. How rude. I don't know what I would do. I would have probably flipped on her and made a bigger a** of myshelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Don't feel bad about taking your time to look at things in a store! I am a total slow shopper, especially when it comes to crafts. I can spend hours just looking and deciding what I would like.

As for the woman, I'm 99% sure that her reaction to you had absolutely nothing to do with you. As I heard today...a a person that hurts, hurts others. So true! She is probably hurting over something in her life that has nothing to do with you and you just happened to be the one to hear about it at that moment.

What a totally neat thing to come out of an unfortunate situation! You had a great couple come and pay for your purchase!!! WOW! What a blessing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrs5View Post
She's rotten.

BUT - if I were you, this is what I'd do. I'd make her a card and keep it in my purse. Next time I saw her - if she said something insulting or not, I'd give it to her.

I would put a nice note in it about how we all have bad days and sometimes, just a stranger's kind word is all it takes to turn it around. How you realize something is bothering her, etc... but that you hope it all works out etc.

Ok - I'd make it sound better than that. BUT - seriously, she needs some prayers.
that's sweet and cute. If you do it do NOT put your whole name and address on it though. We have decided she may be imbalanced.... Just sayin...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #25  
hdp
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would suggest speaking to the store manager to make them aware of this person. Your fellow shoppers that were clapping have probably also encountered her. As a store manager I would want to know about a problem person before they got competely out of hand. And bless the man that brightened your day with a RAK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcculloView Post
I like my dog too! She is a good girl. I came home and told her about it. She went and got me one of her favorite toys. Ahhh, that is love
Awww, now that is the best :p What a sweetie. I am sorry you had to deal with this person. I am glad you had this forum to come to though ;) how could you not feel better with responses like:

Quote:

Holy cow! I've never heard of anyone being accosted by a crafting bully!
Quote:

this mean poopyhead woman
Quote:

This is the first case of "craft rage" I've ever heard of.
As horrid and frustrating it was to read that anyone would treat you in such a way, I had to chuckle at the awsome encouragement the women of this forum are!! ;) Be proud of being "teachable", it is the one who know it all that are truely in need of learning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrs5View Post

I'd make her a card and keep it in my purse. Next time I saw her - if she said something insulting or not, I'd give it to her.

This is a great idea!

Or, you could always CASE the "U SUCK" card that is in the SCS gallery, and give that to her too. Tell her it was made with the things you picked up while browsing that store. :twisted:

HUGS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

{{{hugs}}}
Hope she isn't in any stores here locally or ever comes here to visit/shop! Talk about someone with a serious problem, eh?

Definitely let the manager know your experiences before she does anyone physical harm or anymore emotional harm to anyone else.

Best wishes and as far as I know the only limits to shopping are the store hours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Oh, and since she is so confrontational, I would not attempt to respond to her. You never know what this type of person will do and she might come back and say you asked for it. I am so sorry. Just the thoughts of a person like that gives me the creeps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Oh man, that's insane! When does she have time to make anything if she's constantly combing the aisles of Michael's looking for someone to dump on?! I suppose the wisest thing to do is just smile and let her roll on by, but I rarely do the wisest thing... I would probably greet her with a squeal and a wave next time and start gushing about whatever project I was thinking about and insist that she give me product advice, since she clearly knows what she's doing and all.
Maybe she's just frustrated because she won't try anything unless she's sure she can do it 'right' and so it ticks her off to see you brave enough to just jump in and do it... who knows! I hope she finds some peace and joy in her life and leaves you alone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

What a terrible person, can't believe her attitude. If you ever see her again you should mention that there are online places she could shop and not have to deal with anyone. Sorry you had such a crappy experience, twice.
Darcy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

wow, the NERVE of some people!!!! i take my sweet time EVERY time i shop, even in the grocery store and Lord knows i've been there a million times!!! i'm SO sorry she was so nasty to you!!! you go and ENJOY yourself!!!! i would also say something to the manager if you see her again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's the craziest thing I've heard in a while! Craft Rage....who would have thought! Half the fun of our craft is the shopping...looking at everything, touching, imagining what we'll create and for who...heck, I was in Joann's today for at least 1/2 hour and only spent $4!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

How upsetting! I'm so sorry this happened to you. People can be so thoughtless and unkind. Hugs from your Splitcoast sistahs! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{Kate}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I would definitely talk to the managers. It's a public store, you don't have to be a professional to shop at Mike's!? I wouldn't be embaressed about what you said either, and the people clapped because you are TOTALLY RIGHT! This lady has some bug up her you know where and enjoys putting other people down. If it was me and she came up to me again I would tell her that she is a sad, pathetic woman who needs to get a life. And then go and find a manager and let him know that she is harassing you.

There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. I am SO glad someone offered to buy your purchases. It shows that there are nice people out there, and you should not feel bad about standing up to mean a** women.

I hope you continue to shop at the store! Don't let this woman keep you from doing what 90% of the women do at Mike's; browse for deals!

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Never argue with the crazy people. I'm serious here....as gratifying as those wonderful retorts might be, just back away and get a manager or staff person. You never know but what you might just be the final straw for her to go postal, kwim? (Sorry to postal workers, don't mean to offend!)

Anybody that confrontational and mean, apparently all the time, is a sick person. There's just no need for you to take chances. Don't ignore it, like I said--get a staff person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am so glad you stood up to her and said what you said. Keep doing it. Do nto back down to her or anyone. Anyone can go into in M's and shop. The store is not named after her! Keep your chin up and continue to go there as you need supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

I agree that you should talk to the manager. The thing that set bells off in my head was when you said she charged you with her cart, stopping just short of hitting you. Any closer, and you would have been the victem of assault. (Yes, you were already verbally assaulted, but I'm talking about bodiy damage.) The store employees need to know this so they can take steps to protect their customers.

I would have said something snide like, 'Gee, I thought this store was for people who wanted to beautify the world around them, not for YOU to spread all the UGLY!', but the other posters were right about not getting into it with her. Just call me hot-headed and follow the love and advice the others are offering.

BTW, I spent about 2+ hours in a Michaels today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow! What an awful thing to happen to you. I would recommend that you do not say anything bad to her or give her a card, I would just say "oh hi - didn't I see you here last week?" Then turn around and continue shopping. Do not take anything she says to heart, you are a great person and she doesn't know you or anything about you! You can even tell her to have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Never argue with the crazy people. I'm serious here....as gratifying as those wonderful retorts might be, just back away and get a manager or staff person. You never know but what you might just be the final straw for her to go postal, kwim? (Sorry to postal workers, don't mean to offend!)

Anybody that confrontational and mean, apparently all the time, is a sick person. There's just no need for you to take chances. Don't ignore it, like I said--get a staff person.
Much as we would all like to have the perfect retort ready for her, I believe this is your best advice. If you see her again, simply walk to the check-out area or to a clerk, whichever is closest! That way, whatever she says or does, you will have a witness. Please don't take chances with this stranger!
Reply With Quote Likes