Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2005, 05:53 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how did you as a new stamper go about

deciding what to buy? did you just buy whatever struck you at that moment?
or were you methodical. i tend to be more methodical, and am the type that wants it all lol! but that is overwhelming really. i have 2 color families of the stamp pads and will have the third by the end of the month (just had my turn hostessing for my club so will get the bulk there). then i want to start on the markers....i have a bunch of stamps already, so am more inclined to just use what i have there and buy the colors i need, then the paper. i have to say i thought a marker was a marker, but i LOVE the stampin up markers!
so, how/what did you all do?
thanx
tracyg
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:02 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I am a new stamper and a new demo and I am planning on purchasing accessories first, then adding to the actual stamp collection. I want to add paper, ink, accessories and "bulk up" on that first, then hit the stamps. I do intend on purchasing some stamps next month so I can get rolling for my Christmas stuff, but beyond that, the stamps will be my last stop on the stampin' railroad...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:20 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I started with 1 stamp set, 4 stamp pads (black, versamark and 2 colors), and 2 colors of paper. My next purchase was another generic set, one word set, and the variety packs of paper in the color families. If you don't have paper yet, I would get some of the variety packages before more markers. I did buy what struck me, but soon I realized that I didn't have enough sentiment stamps to use with all the images, so I had to invest in those. I've been stamping for 3-4 years now and I still don't even have all the colors of inks! I do know which colors I really like and use most by the papers I use, though, so I figure that the inks I don't have I would probably not use that much anyways. (I would reccomend getting all the markers, though, because that's a good way to have all the color!)

When you pick the color family that you're going to get your new ink pads in, I would pick one of the ones that is changing the least with the new catalog. I think BB and EE are replacing the least colors, so I would get one of those so that I wouldn't have to buy as many of the new colors later.
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:20 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Try to go to as many stamp camps as you can before you begin to buy. This way you will try different techniques, accessories, and colors. You can find what you like best then make educated decisions on what to buy. I didn't follow my advice when I got started and now find myself with accessories I NEVER use because although they seemed cool in the catalog but I don't really like them now. Same with stamps--just because you see one sample with a stamp and you like it doesn't mean its a set for you. So, the real advice is to give yourself time before you start buying. REALLY hard, I know , but you may be better off in the long run.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:28 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

The first purchase I made was a stamp set that I loved and I checked the back of the IB&C to see what else was used on the project that showed off that stamp set in the catty - I purchased just what was there to make the card. But I never ended up making that card at all! From that point, I just bought things I enjoyed using at workshops or sets I thought were really nice.

I bought wheels because my demo did a special where we got a free wheel handle with purchase.

I use everything I have. Once I see an idea and really like it, I buy the tools I need to use that technique - and then I use them over and over. I also LOVE those Inspiration Sheets. I didn't like the "It's a Party" set until I went to an Inspiration Class my demo did. That sheet got me hooked on that set and showed me how versatile it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default great idea, thanks!

[
When you pick the color family that you're going to get your new ink pads in, I would pick one of the ones that is changing the least with the new catalog. I think BB and EE are replacing the least colors, so I would get one of those so that I wouldn't have to buy as many of the new colors later.[/QUOTE]

before joining a su club i just bought a bunch of ink pads, not in color families. when i joined the club, i looked at the pads i had, chose the one color family that i had the most of and then bought what i needed to 'finish' that family and so on...make sense? so now i have all the rr, and all the bb's. i was set to finish up ss but your suggestion makes so much more sense!
i need MOST of the ee, so i guess i will go there instead! whew! that got long
winded!
hugs
tracyg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:03 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I bought one or two stamp sets and a couple of inks colors firsts, one being Greetings for all Reasons. So, I would have a variety of sentiments. There is a similiar set that I now think is better, but I forget the name. Then, I bought some assorted cardstocks.

When my demo or Stampin' Up has specials, if I am going to use the item, I take advantage of those.

A few of us wanted the markers, but did not want to drop the $$, so we did a Marker Club where we split the cost amongst 4 of us for four months and alternated the color families. 2 of the months were during Sell-a-bration. So we each got another one of those stamp sets from the over $200 in sales ($50 each) for the markers. We each had a workshop and had that marker set towards our sales that month and that was the month you got the case for the set. I thought my demo was brilliant to offer this.

Then, I buy stuff I really want at each workshop/stamp camp I go to. It might be some stamp set I must have, some embellishments, toolkit, stencil etc. Like when vintage brads and gingham ribbons came out - had to have them.

My friend had to have all the inks and she really does not stamp much, she does not have stamps or cs to use w/ the inks. I want all the inks also, but I just get a few at a time, so I could stamp.

If I could go back though, I would have bought one of the starter kits first or assembled my own little "starter kit", then you get a little of everything. Those kits have a stamp set, assorted cardstock, envelopes and inks...and you can do the add on in you want embellishments, etc. I ended up with one anyway, since I love All Natural and the inks, cs, etc all go with that set well.

Whew, that was TMI, I'm sure!

[email protected]

"The joys of parents are secret, and so are their griefs and fears"

-Frances Bacon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started with the minimum supplies to make rather simple Christmas cards this past year. Then I kind of went off the deep end from there - having too much fun!

Life is Better in the Village!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I always save up and go on a binge after the new catty comes out, and another one in Jan/Feb. for SAB. Two years ago I got the markers during SAB, and it was great. (Who wouldn't want 2 free stamp sets...and I easily got it up to 3!) I would DEFINITELY try to get them as a whole set, because the case is wonderful! I also started with the spots, and I'm slowly filling in with full-size pads as I discover I'm using them.
It seems to me that while there's always a stamp set I'd LIKE to have, once I built up a few, I didn't really NEED any new ones, but there's always a new technique. So I agree with the person who said to try to go to events and find new things to do with the sets you have.
If you have RR pads that are being discontinued, and you haven't opened them yet, I'd hang onto them sealed for a few weeks. Check out the new colors, see if you like them better and then see if there's someone who will trade you for them. Just a thought.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I'd say...BUY PAPER. Nothing makes a SU card look like a SU card than the paper. I used to think..."Paper, what's the big deal?" Now, I won't use anything else! I am in a club, and I spend about $75 each month. Of course I do slide extra orders to my demo every so often outside of the club. I usually order each month: One stamp set or BG stamp, 3-4 stamp pads (I'm collecting all the colors that way), a new or different embellishment or punch...and usually a pack of paper or a glue pen. It varies some, but I know I'll always do the stamp pads on each order. I don't have any markers yet, but I'm sure I'll start those as soon as I have all the pads.

But in my opinion...you can take a $1 Mikes stamp and make a card that looks like a million bucks with SU ink and paper!

A.

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started out by buying stamps/paper/ink/etc. for cheap when it was on 50% sales at the local craft stores (hobby lobby, etc.). Then, once I knew it was more than a "passing fad" I moved to SU! and just bought whatever struck me at the moment. I started having shows too so I could get free stuff! Now, three years later, I fill half of the office with my "stuff" and I'm not even a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I started with Watercolor Garden, French Script, a Christmas set, and black ink pad and cheap markers. I gradually added ink pads and other versatile sets. I have almost all the ink pads now and lots of sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 02:41 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I am still a new stamper...or consider myself a novice. I started with one color family per order (only done three orders so far) and bought the card-stock, ink, etc. Then I would try to expand my stamp collection with either a speciality set (e.g. Valentines because it was coming up and DD was going to make them for school) and something generic enough for the cards I am making (mostly birthday, thank-you, thinking of you). For my last two orders (I was my own hostess) :-) I also got something for a new technique I had learned (e.g. chalking or glitter or embossing). I still have a small collection (relative to the others here)

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

I am a fairly new stamper and I must say I am not really methodical at all. I did start with one color family and bought stamps, papers, colors etc.. based on the inspiration sheets (I was able to obtain a complete set and that has been really helpful for me). This month I had a workshop ($900 in sales I am proud to say) so I am was able to complete my stamp pad color families and now have all 4 sets of colors plus a lot of new stamps to play with. I mainly buy what catches my eye and what I think I will use. Although I will have to slow down my shopping a little I admit I am so hooked and have been enjoying this site and getting so many ideas!! Can't wait for the new catalog next month!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started out with paper from one color family and the US White/US Vanilla and the ink pads from the same color family. I started out with the stampsets in my kit and Mini Mates. After that I would set aside a certain amount of money each payday that I could spend on my stampin' stuff. I would always try to do at least $150 so that I could pick up the hostess benefits.

When I purchased each color family, I also bought a plastic bin that I could store the paper in. This way I could stay organized as I bought more stuff.
I also bought the CDJ PortaInk carrying case for the ink pads.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I started with mostly stamps, very few ink pads and a little bit of paper. No tools to speak of and I'm kinda regretting it now, because there's so many things I want to try but I don't have the tools for it (Heatgun comes to mind).
Reply With Quote Likes