Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crystal Effects Techniques

Did anybody hear any other ideas for techniques using Crystal Effects at convention?

The ones I got include . . .

1. Iceicles. Using wax paper, use crystal effects to "draw" the icicles or other design you're looking for. When dry, remove wax paper.

2. Colored Crystal Effects. Using a disposable dish of some kind, use some reinker to die the crystal effects. Then, use an old paint brush to transfer the colored crystal effects to your card stock.

3. Embossed Crystal Effects. Sprinkle glitter or embossing powder on the crystal effects.

Those are the only three I made note of. I'd love to know if there's more than this that I missed or have not heard of. Please share your ideas and techniques for using crystal effects.

Check out my Gallery!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Bump?

Check out my Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I coated an image with it to give it a glossy, epoxy look. Here's my sample:

Best Fishes Ink It Up by askagain at Splitcoaststampers

It's a really fun look. I'll have to try the icicle thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I use CE to enlarge text, like an epoxy sticker would do... put a little over a particular word and it darkens the ink, magnifies the text and makes it stand out a little bit more in general. I also like CE with microbeads! It holds like no tomorrow and has enough give in the beginning to let me pull off excess or stray beads.

Thanks for the icicle tip... how neat is that?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Wow... Thanks for sharing the great ideas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I just did a project with the caught in crystal technique
The samples on here are the artsy variety, but it really makes a neat background for any style of stamper
http://www.rubberstampsclub.com/tips/crystal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

These are all very cool techniques.

Please keep sharing as I love to hear new ways to use the product.

Thank you!

Check out my Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I'm just re-reading my post, and I just wanted to clarify that I did not make the lovely samples on the site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

You can actually paint over your hodgepodge hardware pieces with Crystal Effects and SU's reinker ink. Just mix them together with a toothpick on a yogurt lid, then "paint" with a q-tip or old paintbrush. It is cool to color-coordinate your hardware to your project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

great ideas!
tfs, gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I have also made faux brads using crystal effects.........I just punch out whatever size dot.....usually I use 1/4 inch......in whatever color cardstock you want your brad to be...........drop a dot of crystal effects on it and voila!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I have used ce as glue for my surprise poptop cans and to cover over my images on tile. These are great ideas on this thread ---thank you so much for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Default This is from Colleen Kidder!

I tried to attach this, but couldn't. Colleen has made lots of tip sheets and has kindly shared them with us. Enjoy!

Crystal Effects is also known as 3-D Crystal Lacquer. It is a water based lacquer that adds depth and texture to your hand stamped projects. Crystal Effects will appear "cloudy" as it is applied but it will dry to a crystal clear sheen. The favorite way stampers like to use this product is to apply it to areas where they would like a 3-D look or "raised effect" . . . whatever you apply it to will seem to j-u-m-p right off the paper. However, there are other fun and fabulous ways to use Crystal Effects and I've listed a few below but first let's get the basics down.
Tips for using Crystal Effects:
--------------------------------
* Use and store Crystal Effects at room temperature.

* Allow Crystal Effects to dry completely before handling. Thin coats will take only a few minutes but thicker coats may take a half hour or longer to dry completely. If you handle before it is dry you risk adding your fingerprint to your art work. :o)

* To prevent bubbles, Crystal Effects should not be shaken.

* Prior to use, place the bottle upside down in a coffee cup, letting any air bubbles that might be in the bottle to rise to the top. This will keep bubbles from appearing in your finished project.

* Once I start slowly applying the Crystal Effects, I try to NOT pick the tip up off of my project until it is completely covered. Viola . . . no air bubbles. For me, the key is to move slooooooowly and do not lift tip from surface during application until you are finished. This way there are no air bubble being �blown in� to your work. It may take you a little longer to get all of you work covered, but the outcome, is well worth it!

* The tip of the bottle may become clogged. To prevent this from happening place bottle upright on table and allow the Crystal Effects to drain back down into the bottle. Then you can use a piece of plastic coated wire (such as a straightened, plastic coated paper clip) to clear the tip of the bottle before you seal it. If the tip does become clogged, before I begin my project, I use the same paper clip to open a pathway for the Crystal Effects to flow smoothly. Keep the paper clip attached to the bottle by wrapping a rubber band around the bottle and sticking paper clip in it. If you find your tip really clogged just unscrew the cap and rinse with warm water. Then dry and replace cap.

* To achieve a thicker coating of Crystal Effects I have found it is better to apply several thin coats. If you try to apply it all at once you may cause the dye ink underneath to blur or "feather." Also, Crystal Effects is water based, so if too much is applied at once the paper may buckle.

*Do not use heat gun to speed dry time. It becomes extremely �bubbly� and unattractive.

Traditional Use of Crystal Effects:
------------------------------------
#1: Layer it on your projects to give a smooth glass-like finish.

Spot Gloss: Apply a thick layer of Crystal Effects directly to the stamped image with the applicator tip. Let dry completely (about 30 - 60 minutes) before handling.

All-Over Gloss: Use a paintbrush to apply a thin, even coat of Crystal Effects to the entire image. Let dry (about 3-5 minutes).

#2: Use the applicator tip to apply a thicker layer of Crystal Effects to "select elements" of your design to add emphasis. Apply a second or third coat if your first layer was not standing up off your paper enough to please you. Some ideas are to apply it to leaves, flower petals, insects, teacup, umbrella, window, eyeglasses, Christmas ornaments.

#3: Simulate dew on a petal by adding little droplets to flowers. You can also add it to the petals of actual dried flowers or fake plastic ones. This really does look like dew and you won't spend a fortune buying designers ones from stores.

#4: Highlight only special lines on an image such as the squiggle in the Sketch a Party or the Season's Sketches sets.

#5: Use Crystal Effects to outline your image. This provides the look of embossing without needing the heat gun. This looks especially inviting when used as "frosting" of a cake, like in the Sweet Treats or the Announcements set.

#6: Try applying the Crystal Effects in layers. By that I mean apply a thick line of Crystal Effects to the outline of your stamped image. Allow that to dry and then come back with a brush and apply a thinner coat of Crystal Effects to the inside area that you outlined. Allowing time to dry between applications will keep the areas from merging and will add depth and make the image look 3-D. You can also add a 3rd and 4th layer by applying a second coating to an area that has already dried. It will really make your images POP!

#7: It truly gives the look of glass and as such looks wonderful when used on glass items such as the light bulb in the Little Inspirations set or the Christmas lights in the Border Builders set . . . Makes the lights shine. Use Crystal Effects on the fish bowl in the Little Hellos stamp set or use it to create a faux glass "Bug Jar" and use one of the bug sets to stamp some bugs to go in the jar. (Very cute with the Cute as a Bug set.)

# 8: Experiment with different applicators to add textured patterns to your stamp art. Use a paintbrush to apply a thin coat and swirl the bristles to create small circles, half moons, or squiggles to achieve different results. (Think of those large portraits by Ol*n Mills. that have circles swirled over them to make them look like paintings). Use a stencil brush to dab on Crystal Effects for a rougher texture. Use a sponge to create a spackeled look.

Other Fun a Fabulous Ideas for Use:
------------------------------------
#9: Use Crystal Effects to seal your shrink art pins. This creates dimension and provides a more exclusive look to your shrink art. This is the perfect way to seal your poly shrink wine charms while providing a great glassy finish.

#10: After applying Crystal Effects to an image, sprinkle a little Dazzling Diamonds glitter on top. This adds more dimensional sparkle than using other types of glue and looks great as candle flames, camp fires, etc.

#11: Create a dimensional paint. Add Crystal Effects to small containers you can find in the paint section of hobby stores and then add a drop or two of Stampin' Up! Classic re-inker and stir using a toothpick. Then apply color as desired to your stamped image allowing a few minutes drying time between colors so they won't blend. This provides truly beautiful results.

#12: Crystal Effects makes the perfect glue for any project!! Use it to attach your poly shrink plastic embellishments, beads, feathers, and bows. It is very strong, great for adding hard to hold magnets, pin backs, and wire to your stamped projects. Be sure to let it dry completely before handling.

#13: Use it to make flat marble magnets or bulletin board tacks. Purchase the glass marbles/pebbles that have a flat side to them in the floral section of craft stores. Then use the circle punch to create the perfect shape to place behind these see-through marbles. Stamp desired image on the card stock circle and color it in using the SU! Markers. Use Kryl*n Matte Acrylic or use the Kryl*n Workable Fixative to seal markers. Next, apply Crystal Effects to the flat marble and not to the stamped image. Then press the marble onto the stamped circle. If you don't have the K*ylon to seal the markers, applying the Crystal Effects in this manner (to the marble instead of the stamped image) will keep the image colors from smearing. Apply a bit more Crystal Effects and then attach a magnet or push pin to it.

#14: Here's a twist on using it to make the flat, clear marble magnets . . .Trim small school photo to fit the back of the stone. Poor crystal effects directly onto the picture. Then adhere to the back of the stone. Let dry and then add magnet to the back for a refrigerator magnet of your little darlings.

#15: Use it to glue vellum to card stock. It won�t show through. I�ve found the best way to keep vellum from wrinkling or �popping up� after application of CE is to apply it with a fingertip or Q-tip applicator in a very thin coat . . . DO NOT apply it straight from the bottle.

#16: Make Glitter Gloss using Crystal Effects, Dazzling Diamonds or other ultra fine Glitter, and an old paint brush. This is really simple. Squirt out some Crystal Effects onto a scrap of acetate or other non-porous surface. Using a toothpick, stir in some glitter until you have the consistency you want. Then using a paintbrush, brush the glitter gloss onto your stamped art, stamped tiles, polymer beads, etc. When dry, it gives a glossy and sparkly look to your art. Try using this to add glitter to snowcaps made with liquid appliqu�, add highlights to ornaments, Valentine hearts, etc. Anywhere that you want to add a bit of sparkles. You can also use this same homemade glitter gloss on hand painted ceramics and clothing.

#17: Make a Stained Glass Glitter Window. Stamp image on window sheets using Staz On. Allow a second or two to let it dry. Next, use the tip of the Crystal Effects bottle to move it (CE) around to cover each individual area with a thin layer of the CE. While it is still wet, dump on glitter. Only do one color of glitter at a time. let each area dry at least an hour before going to the next color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Default Here's the rest!

#18: Use it for "fray check" on the ends of your ribbon after you have cut them to the desired length.
#19: Place on top of Radiant Pearls or Pearl Ex and get even more pearlescent shimmer and shine.
#20: Use Crystal Effects, stamped tissue paper and Dazzling Diamonds glitter to create beautiful, sparkling ornaments for Christmas or any special occasion.
# 21: Create "Shimmering Pearls" by adding a small amount of Pearl Ex powder to some Crystal Effects. Then apply over your stamp art with a brush.
#22: Add Crystal Effects to areas of images that you've dry embossed and achieve even more "pop"!
#23: Use it to re-glue any stamps that have either come unmounted from the foam or that you took off the wood block because you wanted to trim and re-mount.
#24: Use Crystal Effects to seal beaded pens. After you make your pen, set it into a block of Styrofoam. Let your pen cure (inserted into the Styrofoam) for 24 hours. Then dip the pen upside down into the bottle of crystal effects. Tip it right side up, and insert back into the Styrofoam to dry for another 24 hours. It works like a charm sealing the pen so that he beads won't fall off.
#25: Use Crystal Effects to seal Domino art when you've used chalks or Pearl Ex to color in your image. The Crystal Effects creates a wonderful thick sheen when applied in more than one coat. Or you can use it as a sort of Modge Podge to attach a stamped tissue paper design to the Domino (similar to the candle/tissue paper technique or the glittery glass bulbs technique.)
� Copyright Colleen Kidder 2004
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

These are great ideas, thanks so much for posting. I've printed this and will put it in my techniques file.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

3. Embossed Crystal Effects. Sprinkle glitter or embossing powder on the crystal effects.
How does this work mixing emboosing podwer on the CE?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

How does this work...mixing the embossing powders with the CE?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Great ideas. I bought the crystal effects just for a little dimension I had no idea it could do so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

This list is endless..than kyou for taking the time to share it with us...I have been intimidated by CE and have never used it but I think I can!

My gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...&ppuser=127746

Please visit my new blog
http://simonessweetsentiments.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for these great ideas. I am inspired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love crystal effects and there are several ways to use it I have not tried. Thanks a million for all the wonderful ideas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 06:38 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

You can also do the cracked glass technique with it (instead of multiple layers of EP). Just be sure you allow plenty of drying time!!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 06:28 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Crystal effects

I have made magnets using crystal effects and clear glass flat marbles. When I use the crystal effects as glue to adhear the stamped imgage to the back of the glass. After several hours the ink (even waterproof back) begins to blead and feather. Is there a sealer I should use before applying the crystal effects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

You can also use the reinkers and CE to paint your pearls from the pretties kit, the flat back kind.

Lay them on a piece of wax paper and paint them with the colored CE and let dry.

Thanks for all the other suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great ideas... I've had a bottle of this stuff sitting around unopened for ages now. Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianalc7View Post
Is 3-D Glass almost the same product? I cannot find Crystal Effects locally.
I am not familiar with 3-D Glass. Crystal Effects is a Stampin' Up exclusive product. Please contact your local SU! demonstrator to purchase.

Check out my Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albrecht1830View Post
I am not familiar with 3-D Glass. Crystal Effects is a Stampin' Up exclusive product. Please contact your local SU! demonstrator to purchase.
I always thought the name was exclusive, not the product...like the SNAIL....same as Tombow mono oe many, many, many other SU products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

this is really fantastic, thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Does anybody know if "Crystal Effects" is non-toxic ???

Check out my Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albrecht1830View Post
Does anybody know if "Crystal Effects" is non-toxic ???
It's non-toxic and acid free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

But can it be mixed w/ vermouth?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Lightbulb Thanks for ideas

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone for all the great ideas. I am planning on ordering some crystal effects from the Stampin Up party I am attending this weekend. Can't wait ..... Do they last a long time like embossing powder does ? Happy Embossing ! Beckaroni :rolleyes:

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Default I just found this on a blog

I found these ideas on Belle Papier Blog and thought I'd share them with everyone.

Great Ideas for Crystal Effects�

* Use it on stamped images to make glass, water, even eyeballs =) realistic
* Glue on beads with it
* Repair stamps
* Repair household items with it
* Apply with paint brush to use as a sealer
* Adhere microbeads with it
* Sprinkle glitter on it
* Paint with it�add drops of ink from an ink refill to it. Paint onto acetate or other hard surface that it is hard to get ink to stick to
* Add it to flower petals to look like dew drops
* Create water puddles or raindrops
* Use it to make faux page pebbles
* Try a fun stamping technique such as Caught in Crystal or Tissue and Acetate

Quick tip: Cut the tip of your new bottle of Crystal Effects off carefully. You don�t want to large a hole or you may have difficulty applying the product. Another idea is to keep your nozzle down until completely done adding your glaze to prevent bubbles from forming.

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Perfect timing!!! I just had a club member ask me to highlight the uses of crystal effects at the next meeting.

Great ideas ladies. TFS!
michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

IWhen stamping on glossy tiles to make them wipe off boards, it is useful as a sealer for the tile as you can just apply it over the design without getting it over the whole surface.

http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/thestampgirls/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedtoStampsView Post
Spew!
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all of these ideas. I'm going to print them and hang them on my wall in the scrapbook room, then maybe I won't lose them. TFS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedtoStampsView Post
HEEHEEHEE! Thanks for the great laugh; I LOVE your sense of humour. With Crystal Effects who needs cocktails, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes