Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2004, 10:44 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Colleen Kidder's $ Store Find Tipsheet

People have been having trouble with getting this document by Colleen Kidder so here it is:

Dollar-type Store and Stamping go Hand in Hand
-----------------------------------------------

Is anyone running out of ideas on what to stamp on? Need some inspiration? Take a trip to the nearest dollar store . . .these discount stores are amazing sources for us. There are always so many wonderful things to either STAMP ON or to USE as EMBELLISHMENTS or some other STAMPING TOOL. Hopefully this compilation of ideas will give you lots of ideas and keep us busy stamping for weeks.

One last thing. . . do be careful with shopping because some of the discount store items can actually be more expensive compared to regular stores, so shop wisely.

Here are a few of my favorite finds:

- - Plastic CD holders. Inside these were quality sleeves with a nice, stiff but flexible plastic cover (similar to lightweight binders without the cardboard inside). I bought them to travel with my CD's that I burn pictures on. Again, you can stamp them with Stazon and color the images in with Sharpies. Stamp on the front of the holder to indicate what is inside or to whom the CD holder belongs.

- - Glass "marbles" used in floral arrangements. They're cheaper there than craft stores and they have SHAPES. I bought the ice cubes, stars and moons etc. The round flat ones will become thumbtacks - part of my "Office in a Box" using a large gable box (since it won't fit in the paint can)
. I will sell these at the next craft fair I do.

- - Pocket Kleenex - 10 for $1! I wrap these with cardstock to make a Get Well "card" (not my idea...but I borrowed it and my customers enjoyed it). These are also great to put into survival kits for mom, college students, teachers, etc.

- - Self adhesive sewing grade Velcro squares - cut each square in 4 to fasten the lid of the pocket Kleenex holder, post it note cover etc. This package is like $2 at *mart-type stores or sewing stores. Remember, don't use industrial grade Velcro for these projects. The Velcro is so strong that it'll rip off the paper before it opens! Sewing grade Velcro opens easily and the adhesive is strong enough to stick to the paper without ripping off.

- - Clear vitamin e gel - use to make custom glitter gels with the glitter stacks! I made 6 stacks of 5 colors each and only used 1/2 of the huge bottle that I got for $1

- - Blue hair gel for water cards. WOW! I bought a little tub at Target for $2.50 - what a mess to fill the baggies with a spoon. At the dollar store I got a 32oz SQUEEZE bottle. Much more convenient to fill the baggies and far cheaper.

- -Premade bath kits including a cute drawstring bag, bath puff, mirror, nail brush, and pumice stone. The drawstring bag alone goes for $1 at the packaging store. By splitting the contents of one of these kits you can make several new kits. These kits can become spa kits that you can place in stamped gable boxes to sell at craft fairs or give away as Christmas gifts.

- - Oh yes, and the little "Stick-up" note pads are always inexpensive in these stores. Use a tag and create a mini notebook. Or for the larger ones you can use card stock to make an attractive purse size note pad. Just tie it shut with some organdy ribbon.

- - Pencils...watch out because sometimes they're MORE expensive at the dollar store. If you shop carefully, you can get some cheap pencils that you can decorate with shrink plastic charms, attach micro beads or experiment covering them with mulberry.

- - Plastic pencil holders - these are those cheesy things you get at back to school time. This is a CUTE drawer in a sleeve (similar to those qtip drawer containers, but long enough for pencils and pens). It's plastic so I stamp them with Stazon. I bought enough for all my scrapbooking pens. When I am traveling, I'll toss all 12 Bold Brights markers into one...it's lightweight and compact. You could take these to a craft fair and personalize them after people bought them.

- - Composition notebooks, spiral notebooks, notebooks notebooks and more notebooks to create your own stamped cover. Everyone loves receiving these!

- - Fingernail gems. These are packaged to be used to decorate your nails but why waste them on something that will soon need redone anyway. Purchase these great little packs and use the gems to decorate your cards instead. They look so cute in the center of a flower or on the strap of the shoe from the new Steppin' Style stamp set. There's just so many places you can stick these little gems!

- - Balloons and birthday candles to attach as "little extras" to birthday card fronts and use for birthday baggies or survival kits. I used them on a surprise birthday invitation with the words . . . "Don't Blow It" and then on the inside I said . . . this is a surprise 40th Birthday Party for Sue Hills (she is a friend and also a SU! demo, she'll be so happy I told everyone how old she is. Of course this party was SEVERAL years ago. Oh, stop I am so bad!) LOL.

- - Bookmarks with matching gold tie tack. I discard the bookmark and use these "tie tacks" on my birthday cards for family members. It really adds something special to the card and the recipient has a pin that they can attach to a hat, scarf, coat, etc. and always think of you and know they are loved when they see it. I love to get the ones that have fish hooks on and attach to a card using the Fly Fishing stamp set. It makes a great card for Fathers Day and is a great seller at craft fairs. I also then use the poem that is on the book mark as computer generated greetings for inside my cards.

- - Packaging tape. Great with Dazzling Diamonds glitter for making the "Glitter Window" peek-a-boo cards. You simply must always have this on hand!

- - Thumb tacks. Attach a polyshrink image to the top with Crystal Effects and these become designer push pins. Place on a matching stamped bulletin board and you have the perfect useful tool for everyone's kitchen or a child's bedroom.

- - Often you can find those two-year calendars. They usually have some cutesy picture in them. Just remove that, stamp your own lovely artwork and replace it in the clear plastic sleeve. They make awesome, inexpensive gifts! And you have two years to use them (or one, depending on when you found it.)

- - Votives, votives and more votives. You can do ALL kinds of things with these. Emboss directly on the glass, stamp on them using Staz On, stamp on Mulberry paper and affix to the outside of the votive, or make the vellum candle boats (sort of a "sleeve" that the votive sits inside of.) It was featured in one of the back issues of Stampin' Success. Often times they are packed in sets of two with candles already included! Votive projects are always a huge hit with customers and make fabulous hostess gifts.

- - Candles . . . all shapes and sizes. These are make wonderful stamping projects. You can do the glitter stamping technique or emboss using the tissue paper technique. This is about the cheapest I have found candles.

- - Glassware. Usually they have great jumbo mugs, bud vases, wine glasses and clear glass plates that make the perfect items to glass etch using your stamps and punches. What great gifts for Christmastime or etched glass makes wonderful personalized wedding presents.!

- - Canning Jars. No, we aren't going to can. :o) These are great for making the "cookies in a jar" and creating a stamped label for the jar and a matching swing tag. You could also just use Staz On and stamp directly on them . . . whatever you like best! You can also use these to make those "expensive" potpourri jars that you see in gift shops. Just add the potpourri, scented oils and a string of lights that you can also usually find at Christmas time in these stores. Make a stamped label and you have the perfect gift!

- - Christmas or other holiday themed coffee cups. Use these to make "Snowman Soup", or the "Cupid Soup", etc. gifts or fill with soups or teas that have been covered with a stamped strip of paper (have it coordinate with the theme of the cup and use decorative scissors to cut the paper for the extra special touch.) Make matching gift tag. Tie a bow around the handle of the mug. Place the chosen items (tea, flavored coffee, soup, nuts, ingredients for snowman soup, etc.) in the coffee cup and use the clear cellophane wrap to package. Tie with pretty organdy bow that you have attached the gift tag to.

- - Metallic garland in hearts, stars, tulips, bunnies, snowflakes, snowmen, bells, . . . whatever the season. I love using this as little add ons for my Christmas cards. Also since it is wire it is great to use for wrapping your hand stamped gifts. I like to place my candle, stamped glass ornament, stamped memo cubes, glass etched item, etc. in a piece of clear cellophane, add some iridescent shred to the bottom and bring up to the top so that the cellophane fans out. Then I use the garland to wrap around that and attach a stamped gift tag. Nice add ins when making your own bows too!

- - Speaking of cellophane rolls and the fancy shreds . . . you can get these at the dollar-type stores too. You can use the Staz On pads to stamp a design on the clear cellophane to decorate it and then you can use that to wrap your trays of cookies and breads that you give as gifts.

- - Picture frames. They always have so many options and at such great prices. I like to use these for framing a special card, thus turning it into stamp art for home decorating. It is amazing how your stamped cards transforms into "showcase art" when it placed in a pretty frame. Be sure to always be on the look out for the shadow box frames. These are perfect for collaging and our stamps are perfect to create these. Just add a few other elements that correspond with the stamps you are using the the theme you have chosen. They also have pressure frames . . . these are frameless ones that attach a piece of finished edge glass to thick cardboard using pressure clips. These are the perfect thing to place a computer generated poem . . . maybe even one you have written or maybe one that is your favorite. Then add the appropriate stamps, mount to matching background paper, attach the clips and viola! . . . a lovely but quick gift.

- - Beads. Although they do not sell these loose in little containers you can always find the on the already strung. Often beads are on pony tail holders or strung as necklaces and bracelets. You can choose to remove the beads and use them individually or keep them as the are and you don't have to do the stringing . . . just add polyshrink or paperclay charms. So much easier than stringing those beads yourself and for $1.00 or less . . . you can't beat that!

- - Jewelry "findings." This is a great place to pick up a wire neck hoop, a beaded wire bracelet or pin base (the kind that has swinging charms hanging from it) to attach your own stamped charm to. I just remove the usually ugly item that is already on there and replace with one of my creations. I also have picked up watches that I can remove a bead from and using that same setting place a polyshrink, clay and Pearl Ex, or paperclay stamped image back into. Now that we have Pearl Ex you can make really beautiful jewelry for not a lot of money and anyone you give it to would be proud to wear it!

- - Hand towels. What a great place to find inexpensive towels to use for the kitchen or bathroom. Use the SU! Craft pads (pigment ink) or acrylic paint to stamp on these and create a seasonal towel, perfect for every holiday and occasion.

- - Don't miss the home improvement section of these stores. Often it is just one aisle but oh what an aisle! Pick up some spackling compound to create 3-D cards. It can become snow (add Dazzling Diamonds glitter while wet) for your Frosty stamp. You can use it with your brass stencils allow to dry and then color and attach to a card front. Sometimes they will have veneer that can be turned into wooden plaques and tags. Drills and bits to put holes in your stamped Dominoes for turning them into necklaces and ear rings. Unleash your mind and check out what else you can find to use with your stamp art.

- - Storage containers in all shapes and sizes! These plastic containers can be stamped on and personalized. Then sell them as Gift Boxes or use to store your stamp room goodies like glitter, eyelets, charms, beads, ink refill bottles, wheel cartridges, etc.

- - Clothing. T-shirts, sweat pants and shirts sets . . . options abound and all can be stamped on and given as inexpensive gifts. The quickest easiest way to do this is to use the transfer paper that is sold in the computer sections of stores and stamp using your standard dye inks on that. Then just color in and cut out and iron it onto your shirt. It's so quick and easy that even kids can do this! But I have also been having so much fun painting on denim with Lumiere and Pearl Ex!!

- - Tissue paper, Ahh . . . my "wonder paper". Use it for making the glitter ornaments at Christmas or use it to make stamped candles. Both require stamping on the tissue paper, heat setting image if craft ink was used and then cutting rather closely around the image. For the candle the next step would be to lay it on a candle. Cover with wax paper and then heat with heat gun just until the wax melts through to the tissue paper. Tie with a pretty ribbon, some hemp, add other matching embellishments like charms or shells or take an easier approach and just place inside a matching candle ring. You can also use the tissue paper to make cool backgrounds like when doing the "Caught in a Crystal" technique. Oh, and of course you can also just stamp on it and tuck it inside your stamped gable boxes or bags or just stamp it and wrap it around your gift and tie with organdy ribbon. Any way you look at it this is something you MUST have if you are a stamper.

- - Clear Glass Ball Christmas ornaments. If you are lucky and quick you can usually find these before the start of the Christmas season. Look in November.

__________________________________________________ _____

Is that enough to stamp on for awhile? LOL! Hope these ideas will be useful to someone.

.?? .????)) ()
((??.?..?? --({{{)o- Colleen Kidder
((??.?? ()
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2004, 10:52 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good suggestions, but just wondering what is a "water card?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2004, 12:09 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Default water card

For a water card, place a small amount of hair gel in a tiny baggie and attach it in front of a stamped image and behind a punched out window. Maybe someone could post one in the gallery. I have 2 from past swaps, but they are old and dried out. One had the fish from Little Layers and one was done with Groovy.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2004, 05:32 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Default Here's a link to Beate's gel card

she just put this on recently.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Default Dollar Store finds

I would like more info on the use of the vitamin E gels to make custom glitter gels. I just don't understand what you are talking about. Bear with me, I am still fairly new to stamping. BTW, thanks SO much for all the great stamping ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 12:41 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! Great ideas from Colleen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 03:45 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for sharing this list of items. I really enjoy it. Now I'm gonna have to save it somewhere so I don't forget it.
Felicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 03:50 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wish I had an email for Colleen...She is amazing to put all these lists together! I think I have three or four other lists she has compiled! And here is another for the collection!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:17 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

My husband is SO hosed!

He HATES when I go to the Dollar Store - he is gonna hate it even more now!!!

WOOHOO - and I get momma time today too!!! Can't wait!!!

Smiles

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:47 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Kate!!! Have some extra fun for me too!!! I so can't wait until I have some momma time...I am going to a moms group this morning at church...looking forward to that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default $1.00 store finds

What great ideas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is a great list! I never would have thought of some of these things myself.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Felicia - have you tried going to "file" and save as - I save in my documents that way. My "card making" folder is going to be huge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for posting this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 03:12 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

GREAT IDEAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Default Great Ideas -

Thanks. I recently asked for the drink containers at Jack-N-The-Box and they gave me several. They hold all kinds of things and are a great canvas for stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 06:08 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Talking

Thank you for posting such great ideas !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Awesome info!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Colleen Kidder's $ Store Find Tipsheet

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
I wish I had an email for Colleen...She is amazing to put all these lists together! I think I have three or four other lists she has compiled! And here is another for the collection!
Hey there. Here I am. A friend told me someone on Splitcoast was looking for me. I'm never more than a "shout out" away.

It was fun to read one of my old tip sheets. Even more fun to see that I announced how old my friend Sue Hills was (by the way she is AT LEAST 50 by now!) :::wink, wink::: Sue is a SC stamper too so she'll be thrilled.

If you really want to reach me, my e-mail is: [email protected]
I'll leave a light on.

~ Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Great list!! Thank you for posting this. Also some good things to put in paint cans and such!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Colleen ~ Thank you so much for putting together this awesome list of dollar store finds!
I need to make a tip to my local dollar store this week.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #23  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Wow, have you opened my eyes!! Thnak you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 06:17 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

wow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 07:01 PM   #25  
PAPER SCAPER

Thanks for the ideas, their great!
Reply With Quote Likes