Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you stamp inventory sheets of your stamps/sets?

Hi,

I was thinking that I might take the time (gradually) and stamp index sheets of all my SU sets and then my misc. stamps. Lately I've been making cards and wanting to find this or that to go with it, only to find later that I have a set that had the perfect stamp in it, I just forgot about it. If I had an indexed binder of all images, I could look through it easily and probably find what I'm looking for (easier than going through stamps or sets). I know it will take a lot of time at this point, but DD could help. Do any of you do this?

Thanks,

Cindy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I was actually thinking about doing this as well. I don't even know where I would begin though. It seems like such a daunting task.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I did take the time and stamp all of my sets. It took a while but so well worth it! Now when I get a new set I photocopy the stickers before I mount it. I would say do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesuezeeView Post
I did take the time and stamp all of my sets. It took a while but so well worth it! Now when I get a new set I photocopy the stickers before I mount it. I would say do it!
So how did you do it, just stamp every set on a page and then you just go through the book whenever you are looking for something, or did you stamp them by image, and group them as holidays, flowers, etc.?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all of my stamps indexed and in binders. I have the binders divided by type of set or stamp (Sentiments, Birthday, Christmas, etc.) It did take a lot of time but I do like being able to look through my index to find the stamps. I have about 250 Stampin Up sets, 50 unmounted sets and quite a few other wood mounted sets. I store the Stampin Up sets by size of the SU container and have the index sheets numbered and the index sheet cross referenced so that I can easily find the set. Here is a link to some pictures of my stamp room with some shots of my index book and the cross reference.

http://picasaweb.google.com/howell.b...ey=v8ge8_paQD8
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also photocopy my stickers before adhering them onto the stamps as soon as I get them. With the old sets, i just set them sticker side down in a group on my printer/copier and laid a black towel over them to photocopy those as well. It worked pretty well, although I haven't done any of my non-SU stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I stamped by set, then I seperated them by catagory. Like flowers, sentiments, backrounds, etc. I stamped the in Basic Black and I probably in hindsight done it in Night of Navy(SU) just because it is easier to clean off the stamps. I did in on a thicker copy paper and used a 3 hole punch to put them in a binder. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesuezeeView Post
I stamped by set, then I seperated them by catagory. Like flowers, sentiments, backrounds, etc. I stamped the in Basic Black and I probably in hindsight done it in Night of Navy(SU) just because it is easier to clean off the stamps. I did in on a thicker copy paper and used a 3 hole punch to put them in a binder. HTH!
ok, maybe I will try this. Sounds like a project, but it also sounds like it is well worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

You will be soooo happy when its done. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Yeah. If I did like a few a day, I'd catch up eventually. I like the idea of dividing them by category, too. One big thing for me is the sentiment stamps. I can't remember what each says so I dig around for them each time. This would be such a time saver in the long run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I did this. It has done several things for me. It cut down on the time it takes me to pick and set to use, and it also has helped me to use sets I had forgotten I had. I basically just stamped all my sets into a book, put a number next to each set and then put a tiny sticker with that corresponding number onto the set itself. So when I am looking for a set to use I pull out the book, pick the set I want and then go get that set. The numbers allow me to be able to just look for the number of the set (numbers are in red, way easy to see) rather then trying to find the set I need. It is so much easier that way. It did take a lot of time originally but now when I get a new set I just add it. I have a section of my book for SU sets and then each non-SU co. has it's own section as well. It works great for me! ;) Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my routine when I receive a new set. I spray all sides of my blocks with sealer. I photo copy the imagines before I put them on my stamp blocks. I take the photo copy and use clear contact paper and put the photo copy in the bottom of the stamp case, cover with contact paper. This way I know what stamp belongs to what set. The contact paper keeps the photo copy clean. Helps when you are working with more than 1 set at a time. For the title of the set, I keep the white background paper on, rather than peel it off. I use more contact paper to adhere the set name to the inside of the case. (it's easier on my eyes to read off of white paper, rather then through the clear name). I put my stamps together, and stamp that set on white cardstock. There is no organization of how my sets are put into a three-ring binder. I write the name of the set in red underneath the imagines. I put the CS in sheet protectors and put into a notebook. It's so much easier for me when I'm deciding on a certain look, I can thumb quickly through my pages. Or, when I have nieces over, I have them look through the book to pick a set to use, rather then pulling out all the stamp cases. I store my cases as close as I can by theme/size. I.E.: Flowers, Winter/Christmas, Male, one-timers like: graduation, get well, halloween. I keep all my word sets together and my ABCs together. Works for me. I say go for it. It took me a couple afternoons to stamp the majority of my "indexes" but it is well worth it. Also, I put a red dot on the case if that set is discontinued. That habit started when I was a demo, and now that I'm not, I still red-dot my discontinued sets, in case I do a swap, some swappers don't like discontinued sets.

Cher
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Currently I use the binder method too with either the copied sticker or stamped images. My binder is tabbed by Company; SU, TAC, CTMH... I don't have my binder in any particular order, other than my most recent sets are in the back of each tabbed section. Going through the binder page by page is getting very time consuming as my "collection" gets bigger. I read somewhere that there is a photo program (I believe it was Photo Shop Album Starter) where you can put in multiple "keywords" for each photo so you can quickly search. I hope to set up something like that on my computer also, but will still continue doing the binder method too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I too do this. I started when I got frustrated at a stamp camp trying to decide what to stamp & had to look at each set to try & find what I wanted to use. Anywho, I have a binder where I keep stamped images of my sets, I don't have too many so for now it is easy to subdivide them by occasions & makers.

I thought I would just photocopy the stickers, but after stamping an old set that I'd had for awhile (new from SU, but past the guarentee period) & realizing that it was flawed & I could not return it. I decided that I'd be better off stamping each set soon after I got them in order to check them, so as not to get stuck with a bad set again. Plus, it was kinda fun just doing plain old stamping, not worrying about putting together a card...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

This is what I did.. keep in mind I do not have many SU! sets.
I indexed mine when I unmounted all my stamps. I don't have a huge hoard, yet ;). I do have over 100 CD cases.
I didn't index them by company and I divided each stamp separately into catagorys. Flowers, Girly Girl, Animals, Insects, Beach, Alphas, Sentiments, etc. I numbered each set of CD's for 1 catagory (Flowers I, Flowers II, etc. Holidays are separated). This catagory and # go on a label on the end of the CD. On the stamped index in the CD, I write the stamp set name, co. name, # in set, and if retired.
When I stamped the index page for my binder, I usually got 3-4 CD's to 1 page (copy paper). I write the same info. listed on the CD index too. Each stamped CD index is separated with an orange line. I put 2 pages (to make front and back) into a page protector. I buy the cheap 1's at Wal-Mart. I use as many pages as needed for the CD catagory (Flowers). I do not mix catagories on 1 page. I stamped all images with VersaFine black ink.
I read many SCSer's posts before I did mine. Taking all of the diff. ways it was done in account, this was the easiest way for me to cross reference. Me and my daughter loves the convenience of thumbing through the binder and going straight for the stamps we want. None are forgotten this way!!
Oh, I did separate my clear stamps totally from the rubbah. They're stamped in the back of the binder by company name and stored in CD's separately from my rubbah. I'm not wild about using them and don't have very many.
The only kind I haven't indexed are my foam stamps. I really do need to get them in the binder cause I do forget about them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I put mine on a Word spreadsheet and indexed them by theme/holiday, whether they are UM or M, and condition (New, Very Good, Good, or Rare). I also have where they are located on my storage bookcase (it's huge), and can easily find it to look at. I find that much more conducive to creativity, at least for me, and actually get better ideas, when I 'handle' them. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes! I have one binder that is an index to all my rubber stamps. Unless I have been on an SU shopping spree -- then I get way behind.

I have about 8 binders filled with unmounted rubber stamps (seriously - I have been doing this for eons). I ALWAYS use the index binder to search for stamps. The pages are only paper and not NEARLY as heavy as the binders filled with rubber.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 02:44 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Whenever I order a new set, I print out the detail page of it from the on-line catalog, then I cut it down to a 3 X 5 card size and keep them filed by category in a little file box. Works for me.

It's especially helpful when I am looking for...let's say, a special kind of flower. I can look through the file cards rather than boxes and boxes of sets that I have lying around. Now, this doesn't help with the other stamps that I buy from other companies, but I have far more SU! sets than I do other company's.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 03:50 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I have all mine stamped in a binder. But, I also, slowly, and going thru the galleries here and copying the cards I like best and putting them all on a sheet and sticking it into the plastic covers with the stamp set. So all cards using that set.... you know what I mean? So when I am flipping thru the binder, I can say, I want to use this set... then flip over the sheet protector and see some examples that I loved and say, oh, look at Suzie's card! or whatever. I usually don't case them exactly, just get ideas.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 03:56 AM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a binder with all my stamps indexed on cheap, HL white cs. They are divided into broad categories (Alpha, Word, Saying; Nature, Backgrounds, Holidays, etc.), and then subdivided by more specific categories (SU! Flowers, Hero Arts Flowers, Bugs, etc.). There's also a category for SU! sets that are not easy to categorize (like Artfully Asian or Like it a Latte). I do cross-reference when I think it will be helpful.

I'd be lost without my index.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 04:12 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default binder

I also have my indexed into a binder. With the stamping up stamps I have I either stamped them onto cardstock, have copied the sticker labels or just copied the image from the catalog. I have them in broad themes like all occasion, flowers, fall, winter, Christmas, etc. in the binder. Then I put the stamps in those multi-drawer storage bins that you can buy at staples or Walmart by the theme. I'm just starting out, so my stash isn't large yet, but it works for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #22  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of my sets have a copy of the index/sticker sheet in their storage box. This helps to know where to return each stamp during cleanup.

Currently, I am making an Excel spreadsheet listing all my SU stamp sets (I am including item number, name of set, number of stamps in the set. I'm also listing the name of the catalog, page number, and price it last appeared in.)

I've concluded that my sets need to be in numerical order, otherwise they will always have to be shuffled on the shelf. It's more likely new sets I buy will have higher numbers so they can go on the end of my storage shelf.

But, I am more familiar with the names of sets, and they give a better clue as to what images are in them. So, I plan (I'm great at planning ... not as good at doing LOL) to keep an alphabetical listing with the stamp sets. Eventually, there will also be an image index. I haven't decided if I want the image index to be of an entire set or if I want groups such as flowers, sentiments, Christmas, other holidays, etc.

I'm also deciding how to store my retired sets since I only buy/keep sets I love but don't want a customer to fall in love with something I can't easily get for them.

Oh boy, I am not even sure if my ramblings make any sense but I hope i they are not helpful they are amusing!

Happy Crafting!

Tina

(about to have a second cup of coffee)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I photocopied each SU! set and scanned it into my computer. I have the copies to show me which stamps belong in the set, and to look thru for words when I need them, and I have the scans in case I ever need them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I also keep an index notebook. I stamp each set on a paper, mark the name of the set at the top, and put it in my notebook, which is divided into the same categories that SU uses - floral, nature, etc. I have a miscellaneous category that I put sets that really can't be categorized - Little Pieces, Shapes & Shadows, etc. I also do the same with non-SU stamps, but I put those sheets in the same categories - just marked "non-SU". This takes a lot of time to set up, but it is well worth it. It is so much easier to go through a notebook to find a particular stamp. It is the tiny stamps that come with some sets that are totally forgotten that makes this index so valuable. You won't be sorry you did this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Ok, now what about sets that also have sentiments like SU's Heartfelt Thanks? Do you stamp the thanks on a separate sentiments page?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I used to be so good at keeping things in a binder. I would stamp each and every stamp in a 3 ring binder. They were all in catagory - ie: Floral, Saying, Holiday and such. Actually I have some stamps that I had only stamped in the binder and never again. But that was a long time ago. Now I just keep the names of them in the computer. Once my collection grew too much I found it to be a chore. I never looked at the book....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

thanksfor the great ideas,
i also photocopy images before mounting SU stamps,
otherwise, I have categories: asian, holiday, flowers, thank you, birthday;
gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I LOVE these ideas! What organized women!! I am going to do this now for sure!! I do something a little different too. I have a binder with an index divider for each stamp set I have (if you had a ton, you could use the alphbet dividers instead). I print off pages from the SCS gallery of my favorite cards or ones that I want to "CASE" and file them under the stamp set in the binder. It makes it so easy when I want to sit down and make cards to find ideas. But I am definitely going to do the stamp index thing too! (Sorry if that was kindof a "highjack"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Like so many others, I have all my sets, and individual stamps indexed in a binder. I have each set on it's own page.. if it's a new set, I photo copy the sticker sheet. The ones I had before I started indexing I just stamped on a page. My single stamps are divided into "sets" and also indexed. I also copy my index sheet and put it into individual categories such as Flowers, Christmas I, Christmas II etc., Sayings I, Sayings II etc... . They correspond with the label I put on the CD cases I store my stamps in. (I'm all UM). That way I can either search by set or if I'm looking for hearts, I just go to the Valentine section. There are a few stamps I was unable to UM.. mostly the Michael's wood stamps. They're all in one box, and the index sheet basically refers to the WM box I have.

On the same note, I heat embossed the lids of all my embossing powders. They're stored in a drawer, so having the tops of the lids show what's inside the container is so helpful so I don't have to pull out all the little bottles to see what's inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Smile My system

I have both a paper index and an electronic index for my stamps. Both indexes accomplish the same thing, it just depends on which personality is taking over at the moment or where I am when I want to look for something.

I start with scanning every sticker sheet. (I started out unmounted years ago so I have never used my sticker sheets!) For non-SU! stamps or any without a sticker sheet I stamp on a sheet of paper and then scan it. I then decide what key words/categories go with every stamp (ie: holidays, sentiments, thanks, coordinating wheel, flower, food, masculine,... you name it, I probably have a category). Once I do that then:

Electronic Index: This is kept in my laptop that goes with me every where.
With each scanned image I can assign key words; I use my categories from above for that purpose. I can easily search for a specific stamp by searching for key words. I use iPhoto for this purpose.

Paper Index: These are kept above my work table in my craft room.
I print out the scanned image along with the name of the stamp set and the CD case number it is in. I print as many sheets as I have categories for the stamp set and file the sheets away in the appropriate notebooks. I have multiple notebooks, each notebook has similar categories (ie: the sentiments notebook has alphabets, numbers, thanks, sympathy, congratulations, etc. sections; the occasions notebooks has holidays, birthday, baby, wedding, etc. sections). When I use a stamp to make a card I move the sheet to the back of the section; this keeps me from repeatedly using the same stamp set.

Between the two indexes I can find what ever I am looking for. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

All my sets are numbered with the wood blocks in each set having the set number on them. That way if they get mixed up, I can easily see which ones go with which set. I also scan the images (the sticker sheet) before putting them on the blocks. I number the page with the stamp set number and name. I keep the pages in order in a binder. I have a table of contents which has the set #, the set name, the amount of stamps in the set, the catalog # coded as R (retired), H (hostess) ect. I can easily flip through the binder to see which sets I would like to use, and what the number is. I have them in a cabinet stacked by size, but can very easily figure out the size of the box by how many stamps are in the set. Then just look for the number I have written on all 4 sides of the stamp box. I hope that makes sense, it is late :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 03:43 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

I have a list in an Excel spreadsheet, alphabetized by the name of the stamp set for my SU! sets (I don't have many stamps that aren't SU!). I keep this in the front of a binder where I have stamped each of the images onto paper and then inserted into clear plastic sleeves. I have them sorted alphabetically, also. I just keep my Christmas stamps in the back of the binder, also sorted alphabetically. It's definitely worth the inital work.
All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I use a cheap rolodex for this. I stamp the image on the card and write on the back of the card the name & company (because I have unmounted all of mine). I have the cards in catagories on the rolodex and these are the same catagories I use to store the stamps. So if I'm making a sympathy card I look in the rolodex under sympathy and I see all those stamps. It works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I di for insurance purposes. I have lots of money invested in my scrappin and stamping stuff. So this way I will have some proove of what I have I just need to take some photo's of them and the rest of my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Since I didnt read the entire thread, this may have been said already. When I first started, I stamped a page for each of my sets to be put in a notebook. That fell by the wayside of course. NOW I print out one of the indexes available on SCS for that card set. Wow! How easy is that? I also use a copy to put on the bottom of the plastic box w/the stamps in it. Of course none of them are in binders yet!!!! But I do have lots of manila folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBabyView Post
I have multiple notebooks, each notebook has similar categories (ie: the sentiments notebook has alphabets, numbers, thanks, sympathy, congratulations, etc. sections; the occasions notebooks has holidays, birthday, baby, wedding, etc. sections).

I really love the idea of having seperate binders for your different categories. As of now, ALL of mine are in one binder, so you can imagine how thick it is becoming with all of the duplicate indexes. I'm going to have to "CASE" your idea!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

I have my stamp catalog in 'books' of unlined 4x6" index cards that are bound with Rollabind discs so cards can be easily added and removed. When I get a new stamp or set, I stamp it on a card and note any information that's important to me on the card as well.

Since I have quite a few <ahem> SU sets, my SU catalog is currently 4 volumes. My TAC catalog is one, soon to be divided into two. For those companies, I file the set cards alphabetically, by name of the set. For other companies' stamps, my books are organized alphabetically, by the company name. This system has worked very well for me for a number of years now.

Just recently, I set up spreadsheets in Excel for the sentiment stamps I have -- it makes it a lot simpler when I'm looking for a particular sentiment in a particular size. I go to my list and find the name of the company or set that it's in -- saves me a lot of time looking through all my volumes!

No matter how you do it, I highly recommend having some kind of catalog of your stamps' images -- it really makes life easier in the long run! Good point on the insurance aspect, too -- our tools & toys are getting more expensive all the time. :mrgreen:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #38  
Embossing Fanatic

Rose, I just joined last night. I was reading your thread( is that what it is?-I'm really new at this). You mentioned you print out an index from SCS. Where is that on this site? I would like to do that! Thanks! Donna from Cincinnati
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffydonnaView Post
Rose, I just joined last night. I was reading your thread( is that what it is?-I'm really new at this). You mentioned you print out an index from SCS. Where is that on this site? I would like to do that! Thanks! Donna from Cincinnati

in the gallery...

the first entry for a stamp set is an index. most all have an index by now

good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

here is my index book if you'd like to see... TFL

my 'index book' by momis mama at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes