Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-04-2004, 04:36 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Labor Day weekend scrapbook challenge!

Okay, everyone who is not going out of town, let's try and get some scrapbooking done!

As a demonstrator, I have to admit that I have let my kids' books get WAY behind. I was so busy stamping, that I have not made many layouts except samples in the last couple of years.

Yesterday, I just decided to do something about it. I had gone to our church's scrapbooking crop on Thursday night and made a layout for my DH's album, so I decided to continue my roll.

I got 4 layouts done just in the time I had last night! My middle daughter, Emily, has not had any pages done for her since her 5th birthday (she is 7 now!!!). I did her first day of kindergarten, her kindergarten school pictures, her 6th birthday party, and her soccer pictures from last year!

In the process, I used up a lot of stuff I had bought and stored and did not use. And I have to admit, did not stamp on a single layout. I want to get rid of more of my non-SU! supplies and use it up!

Anyway, my count stands at 4 layouts/8 pages...take up the challenge and lets see how many layouts/pages we all can produce. Final count will be taken on Tuesday morning! Everything done from Friday to Monday will count!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 04:40 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, this is perfect for this weekend! Chan is going fishing with my dad today (yes, they take a disposable camera along . . . more pics to scrap!), and Adri and I will stay home and STAMP & SCRAP! I can't wait to see what everyone else does with the long weekend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:26 AM   #3  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in on it-but I'll have to wait until Monday-tomorrow is Camden's b-day party. Great challenge!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:38 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it count that I started a little early???I've been scrappin's off and on all week, trying to get cought up in my family album that I have sadly ignored for over a year.....I've been so busy trying to keep up to date in the girls' books! Hopefully I will get motivated to do some more this weekend!
I do plan on going to Michael's to use my 50% off coupon!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:42 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Okay, we'll count the whole of this past week's effort, just as a way of evening up the lead I got last night. But if we do that, I'll have 5 layouts/12 pages. My DH's spread was a 4 pager! I use those panoramic page protectors on a lot of his layouts because he has so many band photos.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:50 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I won't get as much done, but I'm up for the challene. I do have a big weekend planned at my house. But I plan on using my toddlers nap times to get some Christmas layouts done. I have to get those done in order to start new Christmas layouts for upcoming Christmas pics!!
SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:57 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is a great idea! My consultant does 365 pages a year! I am not up for that yet!!! I will be out all day today and most of the day sunday but maybe I can get some in monday! We need to think of this and post BEFORE the next holiday weekend!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 06:57 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in too! I need something to get me going. I've got three boys into every activity & sport imaginable. Great idea, Jan. Thanks for the challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 07:16 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

ok...my total since about Tues 7 layouts/14 pages.....2 more in progress. Hope the total goes up this weekend! Happy scrappin' everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 08:24 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I'm IN!!!

I've gotten 5 LOs done this week. Every now and then I have to switch between stamping and scrapping just because I get tired of the same thing all the time. I started working on our Disney album about 10 days ago & it has been a blast. Everyone is underfoot this weekend so I'm not sure how much I'll get done, but I'll sure try. DH is going out of town Monday thru Friday so I know I'll get a ton done next week. Great Challenge.

Question: Is everyone going to post their LOs? Other than paper & alphabet stamps, I'm not really using a bunch of SU stuff. Should I still post them here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 08:30 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Default scrapbook pages

Oh Boy! Do I was I had a scanner. I mainly do just scrapbooking and I just love it. Most of my customers are scrapbookers as well and that's what I teach them. I hope everyone will post their creation for all of us to see.

Gotta Go!

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been scrapping all week... helping a friend with a wedding album. I won't count those, but I have also been working on a 6x6 of my own photos from infancy to about age 10. I've got 8 pages done. Do I have to do 4 times what everyone else does because they are 6x6? In some ways, I think this is a bit more difficult because you have less space to use for designing the layout. I've just changed my avatar to the first page of the album...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 01:45 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I love the idea of posting the layouts. Can we have a special collection gallery to show what we've gotten done?

I got two more layouts done this afternoon! Granted, one was just a layout with my daughter's student of the month certificate and I made a pocket page on the other side to put the school newsletter where they announced her as student of the month, plus the letter from the school telling us she was named SOM. Very fast and simple!

Then I got her gymnastics pictures from 2001/2 on a layout with her gymnastics achievement ribbon.

So, total so far I have: 7 layouts, 16 pages! I'm going to work on some more this evening; dinner is going to be from Schwan's, LOL!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 02:48 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Just found out DH is going out tonight, so I get to SB while the kids are watching a movie and after they go to bed!!! YEA!!! (not that I don't like spending time with DH, but I get nothing done if he is at home).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 02:52 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Whoo hoo! I was able to finally complete a challenge! I worked on my son's first Christmas(figured I'd better do it before the second one rolls around!). I got 8 pages done! HOORAY!
I went to a CM workshop today and did it. My next scrapbook challenge will have to be to try to use SU materials in my book!
Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 03:01 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Sounds like everyone is doing great!

I have to laugh, because while I was out photocopying the church newsletter, I stopped at the scrapbook store which is a few doors down from Kinko's. I took along the Chatterbox supplies I won from Simple Scrapbooks last month (Yay!) so that I could get paper to match. I don't have a lot of 12" x 12" paper and only have the assortments from SU!, so I figured I'd hop in and get a few papers.

I ended up spending almost $80!!! All on papers and a few stickers to match, okay, yeah stickers, LOL! Oh, well...I am at least scrapbooking again, so I will use up this stuff! Really! I swear!

Down to make more layouts! Keep posting!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 05:31 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Morning report:

3 more layouts!

Preschool Graduation - I used my Crayon Alphabet Upper for the title! 2 pages
1st Lost Tooth - 1 page
My New Bike - 1 page

Total so far 10 layouts, 20 pages!

I want to hasten to add that I am not journaling on these yet. Just getting the pictures down :-) I used to do my journaling on the spot when I had a computer and printer down in my area, but now that I have to come upstairs, I have been leaving the journaling for a time when I can do it all at once. Yeah, I know you are supposed to put some handwriting in there...my other efforts do have some of my handwriting, but I really prefer to do computer journaling.

My DH's book doesn't have any journaling yet...I told him he has to write it all out!

I'm also studiously ignoring every scrapbooking magazine or idea book I have purchased in the last 2 years. So I have done NO shabby chic layouts, there is not a single tag on any page. There are no lumpy-bumpy embellishments, I have only put two star-shaped brads on one of the pages to hold the vellum pocket corners down. I have given myself permission to scrapbook in bright colors and use stickers (but not too many). Much the way most people scrapped 3 years ago and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Part of what was holding me back was the idea that everything had to be a work of art or look like what I saw in magazines and that's bunk, I decided!

When I was at our church's scrapbook crop the other day, one of our regular people came (out of all two who attended). She is your very basic, basic, basic scrapbookers. She prints her photos, not on glossy or even photo paper, but on plain ole' bond (though it's acid free). She's still using papers and stickers she bought at least 5 years ago, LOL! It did me good to see her, because she is obviously enjoying putting together her albums HER way. So what if they are not the most beautiful things in the world, they are still HER books.

So get out there and scrapbook! You'll be glad you did! Don't worry about what style is hot and current, do them your way. At least you'll get them done! And if you like to spend hours on one layout, good for you! Just enjoy the process!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:51 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Location: Whereever the Marine Corps send us! Currently in Brunswick GA
Default Count me In!!!

okay i'm in to!! This will be my fist challenge on SCS! I am here in tampa waiting out the hurricane so I have nothign better to do then scrap!! I got 3 pages done last night. 2 12x12 pages on my son and i's mommy and me pictures and a 6x6 page of my grandmother and my son and nephew, titled grandma's boys. I used the in full bloom SS kit and let me just say that I love it!!! They are way to easy!!
Okay now I gotta get back to scrappin to keep up with you girls!!
I'll keep ya all posted!!
Scrappin in the storm :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 09:16 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

My Morning Report:

I did 2 more single page LOs done last night and then I got totally stuck (but it was 12:30 am) so I stopped. Total done in the last week: 9 pages (all single page LOs). At this rate I may finish my Disney book within the next week.

Off to get the kids lunch and then back at the books (scrapbooks that is!).

Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 09:35 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Default Me too!

I have a new craft room put together by my wonder dh and still have 'stacks' of things to go through...partial layouts, papers to put away, stickers to organize, etc. I decided last nite to pick a stack and either
1. throw it away if I don't need it
2. put it in the "kids scrap' box that I keep when I have friends come over to scrap and bring their kids
3. organize it OR
4. scrap it!

I did 3 two page layouts! One from last winter, one from camping in 2002 and one summer day water fun layout from the summer. Can you tell I skip around> LOL. My next project is to finish the 6x6 wedding book of a friend so I can get dh to mail it off on Tuesday. I had already done 4 pages, but need 5 more. This is at least my major goal...and to start on another 'stack'.
Thanks for the challenge!

Jenn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 04:13 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Not nearly as productive today...yet. I had church this morning and then just dinked around this afternoon. I got one layout done...2 pages. It took longer because they were REALLY good pictures so I wanted the layout to be just right.

I ended up scanning the best picture in and blowing it up to 8 x 10. That made the rest of it easy. Probably used all the ink in the new color cartridge I bought for my printer! :lol:

Right now I've got a hunger headache and I am waiting for the pizza man to get here and relieve me! After that, watch out! I'll have to switch to scrappin' a different child's photos. I maxed out the Colorbok album I bought Emily, so now I think I'll work on a different one! I'll be ordering more page protectors on my next order!

Evening count - 11 layouts 22 pages

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 04:18 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Okay, I am in on this challenge also!! I just got done helping my friend (& Upline) make a memorial scrapbook for her mother-in-law. (MIL is currently in a coma - emd-stage cancer) so while I won't count my pages I did with my friend (15!!!) I think scrapping my family will really cheer me up!!

Thanks!
Debbie Seyer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 04:46 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Default new count!!

Boy I have been scrappin away in this darn storm and right now the count is at 3 12x12 pages and 8 6x6 pages. Now I am gonna try to scrap som 12x12 pages. My DS's SB is 12x12 and our family one is 6x6 just because it is so easy. Sometimes though I think the 6x6's are a little harder cause you have to get everything just right with just one photo!! I have used my in full bloom SS kit today alot and I just love it!! I might just have to get another on my next hostess order.
Okay back to scrappin!! Gotta go do some 12x12's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 05:40 AM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Hey Ally! Hope you are still there after that storm! What a mess!

I have to admit I got nothing else done yesterday...only the 1 layout I posted about. I spent all evening on this one-eyed slave-driver, LOL! Can I help it if you ladies are all so fascinating to read about?

Today will be different. But first, I need to go to Michael's and use my coupon. I have to run out for milk, anyway, right? And I need to get something to put on the grill for DH to do his Labor Day duty. So I'm off! Keep posting what you've gotten done!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 07:20 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Everything is fine so far here and we have not lost power for any long amount of time. I just contacted the prez of my bank and my bank is closed tomorrow so I have an extended labor day weekend!! Kinda glad but not glad for the reason we are out. My nephews birthday was planned for today and we were gonna have a cookout and pool party but its not gonna happen now so i'll just have to take pictures of us playing board games and waiting out the storm!!
Okay I am up to 4 12x12 pages and 11 6x6 pages. Hopefully I'll beable to scan some this afternoon and post them. Do we have a special place we need to post them to?
Okay back to scappin I have another layout sitting on the table callin my name!!
Hope you all get some serious scrappin done!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 05:00 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Another productive day!

I scrapped my daughter Laurel's pictures today. Here they are in the order I did them:

Wizard of Oz - class play from 3rd grade (May 2003) - 2 pages
School pictures - from 3rd grade! - 2 pages
1st Day of School - 3rd grade! - 1 page

I'm not done yet and I WILL leave this computer after my kids are in bed! I hope to have even more done for our final tally tomorrow. Tonights total:

14 layouts - 27 pages!

As far as posting them, we need Jenn to make us a gallery, I'm thinking!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 05:23 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I'm on a roll! I've done 4 LO's tonight on my Disney book & have another started of my DS's 4th Birthday party at Disneyland (it was so cool).

So far: 15 pages done this week. Only about 4 more pages and Disney is DONE!!! Then I have the rest of the California trip to SB.

Thanks for the challenge Jan; this has really kept me scrapping this weekend.

Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 06:20 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

WOO HOO! I did 4 6x6 two page layouts today! With the 3 12x12 2 page layouts already, this is the most I have done in months! Feels good to get things done and finished.

Jenn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:14 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Woohoo! Everyone got something done! I agree, it feels really good to have gotten so much done! Now is the time for the final tally. I finished 3 more layouts with 2 pages each last night!

Soccer pictures from May 2003
School pictures from 4th grade (Sept 2003)
Student of the Month 4th grade (Sept. 2003)

I am really pleased with the soccer layout. I used some 8 1/2" x 11" Paper Pizzaz grass paper that I had stashed from when I first started scrapbooking on top of 12" x 12" Green Galore. It looks mah-vellous!

I filled up the page protectors in Laurel's album too! Total for last week:

17 layouts, 33 pages!

I also did an audit of my scrapbooks I've completed. Out of 15 8 1/2" x 11" Pioneer scrapbooks, more than half are falling apart due to the posts ripping out of the holes. My children really enjoy looking at their books and are not always that gentle with them. Plus some of them are just a little too full. I'm going to have to try to rescue these and put them back together, but I don't know how well it's going to work. I usually put a plastic washer under the post to make it hold again. I will never buy another Pioneer!

I think what I'll do is take the ones that are still good and redistribute the pages so that there aren't as many in some of the books. In the meantime, I'll start buying the leather SU! albums as replacements, but it will take a while to afford to replace them all.

In the meantime, I've started scrappin' 12" x 12", so I need to invest in two new 12" x 12" albums; one for holidays and one for "family fun" which is anything that doesn't fit in any other album! I guess I need to place an order just for my personal scrapbooking needs; that way, I won't include it in my tax return since it will all be on one order!

So, let's have our totals! Then we need to arrange a special gallery to show our results, I guess!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:22 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Well I didn't finish my Disney album; however, I really feel like I got a lot done this week & I only have 2 more pages in the Disney book. That feels great because the 2 trips were over a year ago now.

Final total for last week: 17 pages (2 to go - which will get done today).

If we don't get a special challenge gallery, we could always just post them to the regular SB gallery and then come post our member gallery links on this thread.

Thanks for the challenge, Jan! I'm going to keep it going for myself this week.
Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 05:09 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

So sad :( I did not get to scrap this weekend....
We had already planned a trip to town without kids on Sat. so we met my wonderful MIL and FIL in "town" so they could take the kids and we were to look at a house that they had been Looking to Buy and low and behold they took us in and we found that it was ALREADY theirs.... So they are really moving into town from the family home of 30+ years built from the ground up by my FIL.... We had not a clue they were really going to move. We thought it was another one of my MIL's whims! If so it was an expensive whim and now they have 2 houses to take care of for a bit!! Either way we still went shopping and out to eat for our anniversary and we cleaned the rest of the weekend preparing the "New" house for move in this week. SO I did not get a thing done at my house nor did I get to scrapbook but seeing the excitement in my MIL, it was all worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 06:31 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I had a productive day yesterday! I did 4 LO's = 8 pages of our summer vacation to Mexico!! I also looked at my baby pictures (very old since I'm 36) and have to decide what type of scrapbook for these. Any ideas, anyone at all?

Thanks,
Debbie Seyer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 10:39 AM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I have the same problem, since I photcopied a lot of our old family photos quite a while back and have not done anything with them yet. I really want to make a scrapbook so my kids know what my childhood was like.

I was born in '61, though, so there are a ton of papers out there that are like the design of the era, since retro is so hot right now.

A cute idea, since a lot of your childhood was in the 70's, would be to make a "The Seventies Show" sort of theme!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 01:01 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I FINISHED MY DISNEY BOOK!!!!! YEA!!!!!!

TOTAL done this week: 19 pages (28 pages total in the book - all finished in the last 16 days).

I am now going to work on the rest of our California trip.

Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Yay!

I ended up going scrapbook shopping. I had to take a hostess packet to a customer out in a far flung suburb where there just happened to be a scrapbook store (what a coincidence! )

I spent SO much money! :oops: I found a lot of papers I had been looking for, including Diane's Daughters (dianesdaughters.com) and the Chatterbox wallpaper line that goes with the stuff I won off of Simple Scrapbooking...well, I couldn't leave without those! It was a really cool store; they just moved there (Brighton) from Howell. It's that age-old dilemma: do you buy it now when you see it and then have it for when you want it or do you take the risk that a) you will get home and wish you'd gotten it or b) some day down the road you will go back to get it and it will no longer be available!

This afternoon I spent some time sorting through my 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I'm going to have a garage sale and I'd like to get rid of some of the papers that are for baby pics (I've done most of the baby pics already) and papers I just think are butt-ugly (lots of those) or don't make my socks go up and down anymore. I had a lot of tri-dot papers from Keeping Memories Alive that I'm getting rid of. I ended up with a nice stack of paper. Now I need to go through my alphabet stickers, templates, etc. and get this stuff together so I can have this sale soon.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 08:32 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Hey Jan, I added my pages to the 12x12 sb gallery (also in mine). I kept Jenn busy for a while approving uploads.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kendra

Let's see yours now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 04:38 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Girls, Girls, Girls! I just had to jump in and say WOW! You guys are such great inspiration. I haven't done much scrapbooking, only a couple small ones for swaps and to try my hand at it. It's not as intimidating as I feared. Still takes me FOREVER to do one page.

But, congrats to Kendra! I saw her Disney SB! Great job! Let's see what the rest of you all can Wow us with!

Thanks for sharing...Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 04:48 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes Kendra - your pages are great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 04:54 AM   #39  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I'm impressed too! Did you scan and stitch all these, or do you have a large format scanner? Or did you take pics? Enquiring minds want to know!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

I took digital pics and then cropped them down. It took forever! I wish I had a 12" scanner.
Reply With Quote Likes