Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I learned from the Buy/Sell/Trade MB

Always be sure to ask the condition of the stamps you buy. I did not think to ask and was not happy when they were received. Bad on me for not asking before I bought them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Good to know!

What condition did you receive in, if you don't mind my asking?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

The same has happened to me and now I ask a hundred questions about the stamp set before I trade;)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry about your experience. I've bought about 10 sets off the board and have never been disappointed in any purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Don't get me wrong the board is a great tool to pick up stuff. I purchased five sets from five different people and only two of the I received were in bad shape. I guess I thought the posting would have mentioned how gunked the rubber was. Again I don't blame the people I bought from, it's on me for not being an informed consumer. This won't stop me from buying items in the future, I'm just urging others to ask before you buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Unfortunately (or fortunately-not sure which!) for me, I'm REALLY picky about my stamps. I take immaculate care of mine and do everything I can to NOT get stains on the wood and I clean the rubber the second (literally!) after I use them. I've barely touched my Basic Black ink pad cuz it leaves a stain on the rubber that despite all my efforts won't come off.

So I totally feel your pain! I ask a ton of questions before i buy a set--I really like to have a picture of it to reassure myself of the condition. Needless to say, if you ever buy anything from me, you'll KNOW what care I took of it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, and really, getting a picture is paramount if you are so picky. Good condition is such a relative term. To me, a used stamp does not need to be completely ink-free to be in "good" condition. It is an art tool, after all. "Used" means used, after all.

It's all so relative, you just can't be sure what people mean, so a picture in this case IS worth 1,000 words! Whenever I've sold on ebay, I always include pictures of the rubber side as well as the label side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

do they stamp ok?

I agree with the above poster a picture is a must!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Picky...ouch.:confused: I don't mind ink stains. I expect for the wood block and even the stamps to have ink stains. Stamps should be well loved!

I haven't played with them yet, I wanted to try and clean the rubber with mineral spirits because of the acrylic paint stuck on the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Acrylic paint is a whole different story than ink - I can see why you're disappointed!

I have some stamp cleaner from my lss called Joy of Stamping EZ Duz It - it's pink, smells vaguely of windex, and has to be shaken whenever it's used, because it separates - but, man does that stuff work, even on old staz-on stains. AND it's safe on acrylic blocks. I've never tried it on acrylic paint, but I have used it to remove old metallic ink and it worked. Although if mineral spirits don't work, I don't know that this stuff would.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirokeyView Post
Picky...ouch.:confused: I don't mind ink stains. I expect for the wood block and even the stamps to have ink stains. Stamps should be well loved!

I haven't played with them yet, I wanted to try and clean the rubber with mineral spirits because of the acrylic paint stuck on the image.
Acrylic paint stuck on the image? That's not picky - that's messy ... and would probably interfere with the stamping.

Picky is one of those words that can be interpreted several ways. There are those to whom it is important to have the wood and rubber clean. There are others (like me) who aren't worried. You could call the first group picky - but just as easily call the second group messy/sloppy. Don't let the words get to you.

In this case, if there's paint on it, even I would be upset (and I'm definitely messy/sloppy - just ask my family :rolleyes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried staz-on cleaner? It does a pretty good job. I know there are several non-stamp cleansers that stampers here have used - try doing a search ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

That happened to me once. Luckily I was able to remove all the acrylic paint (although I can't remember what I used, I think I washed them in dish liquid). They stamped fine after that. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have that ultra clean stuff?

There are these extra gunky stamps that are for general use at the LSS her and peeps never clean them and they are all nasty. Anyhow I took some ultra clean and started cleaning them and it worked, this was old dried on gunky fuz and general gunk.

I'm sorry your stamps are not acceptable, I hope you get them cleaned up.

(I let my kids stamp with mine so they have marker on the wood and stuff, I'll be sure to take a pic if I ever sell them!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I am in the "messy" category, although I would not say 'gunky". Most of my stamps look used -because they are - but they stamp just fine. As far as the wood, yes the mounts get stained, I think its overkill for people to expect used mounted stamps have spotless wood. Like asking an artist to have her paintbrush handles have no residual paint.

JMHO, but everyone is different and to each his/her own.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I found a stamp at Goodwill of some great trees and the price was great. It had green acrylic paint on it and I turned it rubber up and sprayed it with stampin mist cleaner and just let it set for a while. Then I used a toothbrush to clean it. Most of it came off that way. I the used just warm soapy water and the toothbrush to get the rest off. The cleaned again with stamp cleaner to condition the rubber. I hope they come clean for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I finally broke down and bought Christmas Cardinal on ebay. The seller posted a picture which showed that the two main stamps were badly stained where she had used black Staz-On, but they were trimmed nice and close and the wood was in good condition. I decided to bid on the set and was very happy to be the high bidder.

I was able to use Simple Green and a toothbrush to remove all the old Staz-On. They look almost like a new set!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Kiss Off will take acrylic paiant off stamps...wipe a damp cloth over the die, then rub KO over the die. Let it sit over night, then scrub with a toothbrush (I use one of those cheapo battery operated ones). Rinse with clear water. If any paint remains, repeat. If the paint is thick and hard, it may take two or three 'treatments' to getall of the paint off...but it WILL come off.

Get KissOff at Michaels...it's usually up by the register, but sometimes it's back in the art supply department. It's in a tube (like lipstick).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I actually just purchased a few stamps on here from the Sell board, and I asked about their condition. From what I've been told, the stamps I bought that are used are very lightly used, very minimal staining. I've bought a used set or two from eBay and haven't had a problem yet.

I can deal with some staining as long as it doesn't interfere with my own stamp pads and the stamped image. I have a few of my first sets that have staining because I used cheap ink pads until I started getting more SU! pads. I might try that cleaning mentioned earlier to see if I can get some of it off.
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for all the great tips, I'm sure once the paint comes off they will work great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Kiss Off will take acrylic paiant off stamps...wipe a damp cloth over the die, then rub KO over the die. Let it sit over night, then scrub with a toothbrush (I use one of those cheapo battery operated ones). Rinse with clear water. If any paint remains, repeat. If the paint is thick and hard, it may take two or three 'treatments' to getall of the paint off...but it WILL come off.

Get KissOff at Michaels...it's usually by the register, but sometimes it's back in the art supply department. It's in a tube (like lipstick).
Reply With Quote Likes