Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demonstrator $$?

I am interested in becoming an SU demonstrator, and I know that of course one of the big perks would be discounted products, free products and early pre-orders. Aside from the stamping bonuses, is it possible to earn extra money as well, or do you find that it usually just goes back into stamps? I'm not asking you to share specific amounts or anything, but just wondering if being a demo could also earn me some extra cash, and what's necessary to earn some extra money (monthly or weekly workshops and classes? downlines?) My demo told me that she really hasn't earned too much extra money... most of the money from classes has been put back into her stamp collection. Is this the case for most of you? Thanks for the input!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #2  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Definitely goes back into stampin stuff, BUT hurts way less knowing they you are buying your stuff with your "profit" from that workshop or whatever. Back when I had a club, I would know my profit from the screen after entering the entire order. Then I would spend it on the stuff I wanted for me! No household $ in the stamproom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Steph,

It all depends on your goals and how much time and effort your willing to put into it. I'm a hobby demo by choice and intentionally put all my money back into stamps, and I only do one or two workshops a quarter. You can stay active by just placing $300 in orders a quarter, so some people only order for themselves. There are others (many who frequent this site) who put a lot of time and effort into it, watch the money they invest in product very carefully and make a good profit. I've read that you can be a successful business demo with just the stamps in the starter kit, it isn't necessary to buy more than consumables. If you are interested in doing SU (or any other stamping company) as a business I recommend checking out this site: http://www.stampingismybusiness.com/ . I have a few of his CDs and they have great information on them. Right now I'm dealing with some health issues and haven't had the energy to follow through on them, but I will be in the not to distant future. Good luck, and happy stampin! Kat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperdoll StephView Post
I am interested in becoming an SU demonstrator, and I know that of course one of the big perks would be discounted products, free products and early pre-orders. Aside from the stamping bonuses, is it possible to earn extra money as well, or do you find that it usually just goes back into stamps? I'm not asking you to share specific amounts or anything, but just wondering if being a demo could also earn me some extra cash, and what's necessary to earn some extra money (monthly or weekly workshops and classes? downlines?) My demo told me that she really hasn't earned too much extra money... most of the money from classes has been put back into her stamp collection. Is this the case for most of you? Thanks for the input!!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2007 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Deleted referral verbage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Really the best discount and minimums are The Angel Company and you can definitely make a profit on any of them, just have to not spend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #5  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
Really the best discount and minimums are The Angel Company and you can definitely make a profit on any of them, just have to not spend.
While I may agree they have lower minimums I am not "crazy" for their "type" of stamps. I love their papers though.

I could make money at SU if I wanted to but I am only a hobby demo and use the profits I get from my customers to buy more stuff that I have on my wishlist. If you are like me you have LOTS on your wishlist ;) It is all up to the individual if you make money really!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to echo some of the other comments. There are a lot of variables.

First, your personality. Do you like to sell? Are you a people person? Have you ever sold anything before? Many folks will tell you that a good product will "sell itself." I disagree. IMHO the stamping market is flooded with good products. So, you have to convince stampers and non stampers that you are offering something (product, camaraderie, skills, etc) that they can't get elsewhere -- either by going to a different SU demo, buying on ebay (ugh), or buying Non SU.

Second, who is your potential market? Can you come up with a list of folks who you would invite to a stamping event? How many do you think would come? NONE of my friends are crafty in the slightest. But maybe yours are. Are there dozens if not hundreds of SU demos in your area or just a few?

Third, you do not need a lot of stamps to be a good demo. Really, if you discipline yourself and come up with a marketing plan -- there is no reason why you can't make a profit (assuming #s 1 and 2 above are taken care of!!). A few sets, a background, a wheel and you can make dozens of items. With the 2 catalogs a year, you will have to be willing to invest in a few new sets every once in a while, but many demos go crazy buying sets and never even mount them!

Finally, recruitment combined with sales is really how you make money with SU and most home based businesses.

And, the final final, you can always try it and see how it goes. Pick your upline carefully. Enjoy. There is no penalty for dropping and you might really make a go of it, love it and live happily ever after!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, I make money at SU, and yes, I put it back in, but that's my choice. I could certainly get away with spending less on SU! (but don't want to ), and really, the reason I started demo-ing with SU was to pay for my habit! Now I can spend guilt-free on my stamping and have $$ left from the household budget for other things (I am the sole income-earner - my DH is currently a stay-at-home-dad: our mutual choice)
I have paid bills with my SU earnings, paid for my trip to a Regional seminar (that I didn't have to go to), have bought birthday gifts for my daughters, etc.

I have one technique club that meets roughly bi-monthly and a group of ladies that hostess for me roughly bi-monthly as well. I run a card buffet (kind of like a stamp a stack) about every 2 months and sometimes sell my cards. I have 2 downline, but that's more accident than design :mrgreen:

Not everyone has the same level of success, but it is certainly possible to make money doing this.

One last word of advice: make sure you sign on with a company you trust and that has products you truly love... otherwise your business won't go anywhere...
HTH
See my growing gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintrubluView Post
Yes, I make money at SU, and yes, I put it back in, but that's my choice. I could certainly get away with spending less on SU! (but don't want to ), and really, the reason I started demo-ing with SU was to pay for my habit! Now I can spend guilt-free on my stamping and have $$ left from the household budget for other things (I am the sole income-earner - my DH is currently a stay-at-home-dad: our mutual choice)
I have paid bills with my SU earnings, paid for my trip to a Regional seminar (that I didn't have to go to), have bought birthday gifts for my daughters, etc.

I have one technique club that meets roughly bi-monthly and a group of ladies that hostess for me roughly bi-monthly as well. I run a card buffet (kind of like a stamp a stack) about every 2 months and sometimes sell my cards. I have 2 downline, but that's more accident than design :mrgreen:

Not everyone has the same level of success, but it is certainly possible to make money doing this.

One last word of advice: make sure you sign on with a company you trust and that has products you truly love... otherwise your business won't go anywhere...
HTH
Ya! What Melanie said. Very well put!

Being a demo for SU is a business and you need to treat it that way, as a business. Spend less then you take in.

Anyone who turns their hobby into a business can find it hard to control their spending. It's the nature of the beast. Like having a key to the candy store. (ok, now I want candy)

I also have to agree that any demo should look at the coaching from John from http://www.stampingismybusiness.com/ . He tells it like it is and will help maximize your profits while still loving what you do. Have fun while helping others have fun. It doesn't get much better then that.

The beauty of being a demo is that you can make it what ever YOU want. Pay for your goodies, pay a bill or 2 or make an income from it.

Good luck Paperdoll Steph and let us know what you end up doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. I have business experience and would love to host workshops and classes, but one of my concerns (as was mentioned before) is finding people who are just as passionate about stamping (and in particular, SU products) as me! I'm not sure if right away I would like to start it up as a business, as one of the main perks is that being a demo would help support my hobby and I would LOVE to be able to buy more things without breaking the bank.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. I have business experience and would love to host workshops and classes, but one of my concerns (as was mentioned before) is finding people who are just as passionate about stamping (and in particular, SU products) as me! I'm not sure if right away I would like to start it up as a business, as one of the main perks is that being a demo would help support my hobby and I would LOVE to be able to buy more things without breaking the bank.
Where do you work? I work at my local hospital and TONS of people have heard about me possibly becoming a demo.

Plus my husband and I are newlyweds, and my mother in law is an easy target. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Definitely you can make money with SU! I spend as much as I want on my hobby, I pay for my mobile phone bill, internet, bought myself office equipment, pay for all my petrol, etc. and I contribute to the family finances every month. It all depends though on how much work you want to put into it. If you want to make money like with a regular career then you'll need to have a balance of your own sales and signing up others to also become demonstrators.

Here's my advice, pick your up-line wisely - make sure she will be there for you to answer questions and steer you in the right direction and make sure she is also enthusiastic.

Cheers,
Angela
www.angelasargeant.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

...but one of my concerns (as was mentioned before) is finding people who are just as passionate about stamping (and in particular, SU products) as me!
Thi is where you come in... it's up to you to get them passionate about stamping. And if you really love the product, and really believe in it, your excitement will rub off and the sales will come. ;)

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkidsView Post
Thi is where you come in...
"This "... sorry! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I "can" make money being a demo if I want to. That is what is so awesome about it. At the moment I am a little burnt out (I go through phases of being a demo), so I have a club going and instead of putting my profit back into SU, I am buying school stuff for my kids and a little bit of some "extra" things I need or want for the house with my profit. I normally put it back into orders, but I have pretty much all I want for the moment. I went to Convention a few years ago and I worked my butt off scheduling workshops and classes just so I could pay for everything from my stamping $$. It worked too. It took me about three months and I paid for my entire trip all by myself. The main thing is to set goals for yourself. It is easy to sell because SU has such amazing stuff. If you want to make money, then allow yourself a certain dollar amount to order each month. It does take self control, but you can do it if you try really hard! Good luck with whatever you decide!! You'll LOVE being a demo!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I just saw this and wanted to add that I have a lot of customers who think I am a stamping fool. They aren't into it as much as me, but they admire my passion and I give them tons of ideas that are super simple. You just have to make the average person (who isn't creative) see that you don't have to be crafty or artsy to make a beautiful creation with stamps. Try to start with a couple of workshops at your house. Just tell people you know you are just starting out and ask if they could come and at least try it! It is hard to get it off the ground, but once you do it is super fun!!!
Reply With Quote Likes