Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one . . .

who thinks that the Bella stamps are too highly priced for unmounted rubber?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, I don't think you are the only one. ;)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I was wondering if it was because it was a Canadian company but then I remembered that Pink Cat Studio is a Canadian company and you can get a whole plate of unmounted stamps from them for the price of two Bellas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I never really noticed the price before you mentioned it. The images just arent really my thing, but now looking at the prices your absolutely right....too high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, the current prices are what I might pay for a wood mounted Bella. For just the rubber, I would expect to pay 50% less. (Like at Viva Las Vegastamps!)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have several Bellas and UM rubber from other companies as well. The rubber quality and thickness is head and shoulders above the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

i agree with ^ her!

the quality is great and i think they are very reasonable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I have to be the thrid person to think that the bellas are great and the pricing is reasonable... I happen to own several.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Yep, they're expensive but I'm a BIG believer in you get what you pay for. I have NEVER not gotten a good impression with a bella. I did just order from viva las vegas because I need a motorcycle stamp for a specifc project. I only needed one good impression. I can't get it. The back of the motorcycle lacks any detail. I'm trying to emboss it with black detail powder or silver detail powder on black cardstock. It ends up looking like one big glob and I'm not a happy camper. IMO, it wasn't a deal, in fact it was a waste since I can't use it at all now.

Never had that problem with a bella.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPapersView Post
...and you can get a whole plate of unmounted stamps from them for the price of two Bellas.
Or a set of fabulous images from FontWerks! There are lots of single stamps with images I love (Fluffles!) that I personally wouldn't purchase at those prices. That's just my personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Nope- you aren't the only one.

But they sell like hotcakes, so I don't see why she would even consider lowering her prices! Since she is an small business owner who thought of an idea and pulled through with it, I think she deserves every penny she can make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321View Post
Since she is an small business owner who thought of an idea and pulled through with it, I think she deserves every penny she can make!
I could not agree more!! There are a lot of people who love them and I think that is great. But I got to try them out at a stamp camp and I could not get a good image to save my life. I think that if they had some cushion on them I would have done better. It might have been user error but because I was not able to get a clean image than I will not be buying any. If I did I would have to buy cushion and that would really make them too expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #13  
immzw4

I love the Bellas. Are they expensive for unmounted? Yes, I think they are. It's why I don't own all of them. But I'm willing to pay that to invest in some adorable images that I really love and will use, and since there is no competition for that type of image, I think she has priced herself appropriately.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
I have several Bellas and UM rubber from other companies as well. The rubber quality and thickness is head and shoulders above the rest.
I've never seen an actual Bella stamp, just many of the cards posted here on SCS, so this is good information to know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've always thought they were high for um's, but since I didn't care for the images that much, I never really thought much more about why that might be. I am used to the pricing model of um being 50% of mounted price, like somebody else mentioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I've always thought they were high for um's, but since I didn't care for the images that much, I never really thought much more about why that might be. I am used to the pricing model of um being 50% of mounted price, like somebody else mentioned.
yep, they usually are but a lot of times, part of the reason they're that cheap is the artwork and or the stamp aren't as good quailty. As someone who is spoiled with how deeply etched SU stamps are I'm willing to pay for the Bellas because they're of a similar quality. No shadows, mushy rubber making blurry lines, etc. Impression Obsession stamps are also good. Although I do put them on cushion so for the person who was using them bare, maybe that was the problem.

Of course, someo people just don't like the artwork so even at $3 each they wouldn't want them. I guess like most other things in life, we're willing to pay more for the stuff we like. So I buy my bellas and don't sweat SU's small increase b/c I love the stamps.

I *heart* coach bags and my best friend would never dream of buying them. Different strokes :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

If it's under $10 I don't really care. If I like it I buy it. A Coach purse is WAY over priced but people will go into debt to get one.

The same can be said for so many things but the Bellas are unique so I haven't thought twice about it and now that you're pointing it out I still don't mind. I agree with the others in that the quality is excellent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

If you compare them to Viva Las Vegas, they are priced right. Viva has some great images. But, many of them are not deeply etched. So you can find a fabulous stamp and pay 3 or 4 bucks for it, but you may have trouble getting a clean image. You take your chances.

That being said, all unmounted I've purchased from CHF has been great and their prices are waaay lower than the bellas. (I think it is CHF).

Impression Obsession makes great unmounted stamps. Very good quality. And they are half the price of the Bellas. AND many are very detailed. hmmm.....I am thinkin' Bellas are a little on the higher end for price. Guess that's why I have quit buying them, even though I like them. I have enough.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a matter of supply and demand -- whatever the market will bear and apparently it will bear a higher price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleStamperView Post
If it's under $10 I don't really care. If I like it I buy it. A Coach purse is WAY over priced but people will go into debt to get one.

The same can be said for so many things but the Bellas are unique so I haven't thought twice about it and now that you're pointing it out I still don't mind. I agree with the others in that the quality is excellent.
But the leather is like butta...:mrgreen:

I don't go into debt to get them, it's just what I choose to spend my money on. The same friend who would never dream of buying a coach bag drops BIG money on makeup and perfume. That's so not my thing. But she loves it. :rolleyes: :-D

Least I don't wash my money down the sink every night LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
If you compare them to Viva Las Vegas, they are priced right. Viva has some great images. But, many of them are not deeply etched. So you can find a fabulous stamp and pay 3 or 4 bucks for it, but you may have trouble getting a clean image. You take your chances.

That being said, all unmounted I've purchased from CHF has been great and their prices are waaay lower than the bellas. (I think it is CHF).

Impression Obsession makes great unmounted stamps. Very good quality. And they are half the price of the Bellas. AND many are very detailed. hmmm.....I am thinkin' Bellas are a little on the higher end for price. Guess that's why I have quit buying them, even though I like them. I have enough.

Yep, motorcycle from vlv stamps is not good. I did get some of the better than hallmark type stamps and they were fine. Sadly, the bike was what I needed, those others just jumped on my order. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #22  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There are a lot of people of this site who have many bellas and that is their choice. I, however, only have 2 (for now). I tend to buy ones that I KNOW I'll use- I have Teachabella (guess what my job is?) and Javabella (guess what one of my fave pasttimes is?). I have one of the birthday ones (because every girl has a birthday whether they admit it or not) and the globetrottabella (I LOVE to travel) in my shopping cart to order on payday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #23  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamijoView Post
There are a lot of people of this site who have many bellas and that is their choice. I, however, only have 2 (for now). I tend to buy ones that I KNOW I'll use- I have Teachabella (guess what my job is?) and Javabella (guess what one of my fave pasttimes is?). I have one of the birthday ones (because every girl has a birthday whether they admit it or not) and the globetrottabella (I LOVE to travel) in my shopping cart to order on payday!
I forgot to mention- they are extremely detailed and well cut! (maybe even better now that she has her new hot knife!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Not certain it is just supply and demand.... I don't know that a small start-up "boutique" stamp company could meet the prices of larger and/or more well established companies. If more outlets start carrying the line and the company grows perhaps the prices may drop?
I don't mind paying more money to smaller companies to have a variety of products and artists available
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

They are clearly a hot fad item. The creator, knowing that they were going to be a flash in the pan--or so she hoped, priced them high and got a frenzied following. I notice that lately they are much less seen on blogs and galleries. Their 15 minutes of fame are over. When someone creates a fad like this they price them for hot demand knowing that when the 15 minutes is over that they won't be able to give them away. Lately, stamping and scrapping have such a turn over of what's hot for such a short time, I am noticing that the hot items are outrageously priced and a year later ebay sellers can barely give them away. These are not classic style stamps ladies, and they have peaked and are on their way out. For those who really wanted them, they paid the price. The company made their bucks on their fad, but I cannot see that they offer anything with real staying power. And to answer the original question? Yes, they were purposely overpriced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryLouWhoView Post
They are clearly a hot fad item. The creator, knowing that they were going to be a flash in the pan--or so she hoped, priced them high and got a frenzied following. I notice that lately they are much less seen on blogs and galleries. Their 15 minutes of fame are over. When someone creates a fad like this they price them for hot demand knowing that when the 15 minutes is over that they won't be able to give them away. Lately, stamping and scrapping have such a turn over of what's hot for such a short time, I am noticing that the hot items are outrageously priced and a year later ebay sellers can barely give them away. These are not classic style stamps ladies, and they have peaked and are on their way out. For those who really wanted them, they paid the price. The company made their bucks on their fad, but I cannot see that they offer anything with real staying power. And to answer the original question? Yes, they were purposely overpriced.
Interesting. I decided to do an unscientific sample, and popped over to our favorite ebay and could not find a single one for sale. Now, I have not bought any myself, and maybe you are correct, but they seem to have staying power to me. Sure, folks don't post them as often as when they were new, but I have the feeling they will stay in the stamping repertoire for quite some time.

ps. welcome to SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

mary lou who...betcha I know :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

You missed the part where I said "a year later" ebay sellers cannot give them away. Talk to me around March and we shall see. Why do you always get so rude with anyone who has an opinion that differs from yours? Is that not allowed in your world?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

You missed the part where I said "a year later" ebay sellers cannot give them away. Talk to me around March and we shall see. Why do you always get so rude with anyone who has an opinion that differs from yours? Is that not allowed in your world?
What do you mean always? I thought you just joined, have you been here before? :confused: :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, you turned nasty awfully quickly! Regarding your "flash in the pan" post, did you not know that Emily (aka Stamping Bella herself) is a member of this forum and reads all these posts? You said some pretty pointed things about her products, which she pours her heart and soul into. And just FYI, she comes out with new stamps very frequently. Not necessarily something that a company "on the way out" does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got my 1st one (teachabella) and was a little bit surprised at how thin it was and how small (yes, I should have read the dimensions on it--"blonde" moment there..lol)

It's really the only Bella I wanted so I'm ok with the $.....

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

oh..and just like that, the option for sending a PM to marylou isn't there anymore, which means she's no longer a register user. marylou..where are yooooou?? LOL

I think that might be a record for our old friend.

We'll see you again real soon though!!!:mrgreen:

yes, I got teach a bella and I'm not a teacher. I thought it would be so cute to make cards for the teacher as a Christmas gift and leave them without a sentiment. At least if she has to send bad kid notes home they'll look cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Anyway, back to the OP, I'll try to take a pic of a bella next to a really floppy inexpensive UM stamp and show you the difference. Yeah, they're expensive, but I love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post

yes, I got teach a bella and I'm not a teacher. I thought it would be so cute to make cards for the teacher as a Christmas gift and leave them without a sentiment. At least if she has to send bad kid notes home they'll look cute.
Looking from the positive view--maybe a good note home too? ;)

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndieView Post
Looking from the positive view--maybe a good note home too? ;)

sure, spoken like a teacher. Do you guys really send notes home for that though. Although I think everyone mostly does phone calls now. My son lost his lunch money and the teacher was nice enough to call and let me know they looked all over for it.

Of course, my kids are angels and I'd get a good kid note home every day LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post
Although I think everyone mostly does phone calls now.
Nope, I get emails...lol
But last year his teacher did a good job of balancing good and bad. Even though there was probably more bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
Anyway, back to the OP, I'll try to take a pic of a bella next to a really floppy inexpensive UM stamp and show you the difference. Yeah, they're expensive, but I love them.
That'd be great if you could do that. My experience with unmounted rubber stamps is limited to Pink Cat Studio and Sun Spirit Studio. I haven't noted a disparity in quality of these stamps and SU's stamps. I guess I was wondering what could be so great about the Bella stamps (other then how they look) that would explain the cost difference between these and other unmounted stamps.
(As for Viva Las Vegas Stamps, I haven't ordered from them. There is so much to sort through on their website and I would rather spend my time looking at the gallery on SCS or stamping than digging through their website looking for something that appeals to me.)
BTW, in case anyone was wondering, I ordered the first two and probably only Bella stamps that I'll own today. For the most part, they don't appeal to me, but there are two that some of my neices will love receiving cards made with them. Sometimes the card making isn't about me liking the images on the card as much as it is about what the person receiving the card will like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

which ones did you get? I love them all and have found a reason to justify almost all of them. It would be easier to list what I don't own LOL

The birthday cake/present, pregnant bellas are the most useful I think. Not a lot out there like them. And I got blingabella to make engagement cards, since again, there's not a lot of those types of stamps around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I disagree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I disagree.
I don't think she's with us anymore ;)
Reply With Quote Likes