Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever tried to sell your UM SU sets?

I am wondering if the value goes down?

Any thoughts?

Ciebelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I'll be following this thread because I was wondering the same thing. I buy (and trade for) a lot of used sets, and would not buy unmounted because I am in love with my wood blocks/stamps. For me, I would just not buy ones that are unmounted, but I'd be curious if it does affect value. You'd almost have to think it would because the catty price includes the blocks, so you're not getting what you would have paid for. I'm sure if it was a highly collectible set, you would have a chance to get a pretty penny, however!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Default Ebay story

My mom-in-law is an SU demonstrator, she told me that a set called "darling dragons" or something like that went for $750 on ebay a couple years ago ... I've been trying to get ahold of some of the retired sets on ebay and i've seen some in the $75 to $100 range, so I'm sure for a few of the sets being UM doesn't affect the value as much as you think it would!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Yeah, I'd imagine a lot would have to depend on how easy it is to get your hand on the set. But I would seek out UM over mounted because it would save me the trouble of unmounting myself. More and more people are going UM, so I imagine that it'll be easier selling them than it used to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I should clarify...I am wondering about when we UM to stamp with...and us acrylic blocks.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #6  
immzw4

I unmounted all my SU! sets (except two that are "rare" and that I found I don't really know how to use). I would bet that the value goes way down on unmounted SU! stamps. I love unmounted, and wouldn't ever worry about the value of the stamps after I unmount as long as I can use the stamps, but any thread about unmounted and SU! has a long list of posts from the lovers of wood mounted, and I think SU! and wood mounted just seem right together. I can't imagine a person who adores SU! not feeling like *he's getting something less than when there is no wood with the stamps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

One of our Splitcoast members recently sold a HUGE collection of unmounted sets on eBay. I watched the price very closely (hoping I could get the whole collection really cheap). Finally decided not to bid because the price was close to original.
Granted, she did not have any "rare" old sets. Those might be worth keeping on the wood if you are seriously planning to sell them.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Well, suppose it depends on who is looking at your auction...if it was ME, I would actually be willing to pay a buck or two MORE for um because it saves me the hassle of doing it myself and spending my own $$ on the EZ mount!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

ps...I also would never unmount my *coveted* sets, like Godspeed, etc...not for resale value, but because they are my BABIES and I would never hurt them!:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Selling here, not on ebay, I've found that the value doesn't go down, just a change in interested parties. And, of course the shipping is WAY cheaper.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 06:25 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
The main reason I unmounted my stamps was so I would not have to sell them. I was running out of storage and after lots of searching and long talks with DH (who got tired of being a sounding board, LOL!!!) I decided that unmounted was the way to go. DH's best arguement was if I sold a stamp or set and wanted it later I wouldn't be able to buy it again, so it was better to have the stamp unmounted than not at all.

I figure if I ever come to the point where I have to sell off my stamps the value is really in the image and not the mounting. When I first started stamping I would purchase unmounted stamps and put them on wood blocks. So if the image was wanted the purchaser could mount or not as fits their stamping style.

I spent two years going back and forth about unmounted or wood mounted before going unmounted. I have no regrets. I am disappointed in the tack it over and over not sticking as permanently as I'd like to the document protector sheets which I put in binders. So I'm redoing that by cutting the document protector sheets smaller and slipping them in ziplock type bags. No more binders. Instead they'll be stored by set, by theme in plastic boxes. The plastic bags will hold any dies that fall off the sheets (so my puppy doesn't chew the die, we caught him with a die in his mouth fortunately he hadn't tarted chewing, LOL!!!) and I can still use the dies. Those where the tioao has stuck can go on the block, those where it hasn't I can either reapply the tioao or use double sided tape.

Redoing the storage will also allow me to regroup my sets, in the past the words have been separated from images (the sets broken up) and I have found I don't use the words like I thought I would. So as I redo this system I'm putting them back into sets. And the ziplock bag system will be a lot like the CD system so I think it'll work really easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Me, personally would not buy a set that had been unmounted even for a lesser price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

no kidding...
you almost threw me off my chair!!!!!!!!!!!!
i sold this set about 6 month ago here on the board for an apple and an egg!
i can not tell my husband this number!

Quote:

Originally Posted by law6449View Post
My mom-in-law is an SU demonstrator, she told me that a set called "darling dragons" or something like that went for $750 on ebay a couple years ago ... I've been trying to get ahold of some of the retired sets on ebay and i've seen some in the $75 to $100 range, so I'm sure for a few of the sets being UM doesn't affect the value as much as you think it would!

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermanyView Post
no kidding...
LOL... I have no idea what an apple and an egg might cost!!!! Is that good or bad????

I assume you mean that you would be selling them with out the corresponding wood bc you would have already discarded it.

Anyway, that dragon set is really "rare" and highly sought after. Those sets might not be as effected by the unmounting process.

I think most of the super common sets (like those that have been SAB and in the regular catalog) will loose some of their value no matter what. If you notice, it's easy to get a common set like Fab Four for a very cheap price.

If it were me and I were looking for a set I would be disappointed to see that there were no wood blocks with it bc I do prefer the wood mount. But that's just me.

If I was dying to have it then I'd probably go for it but only if it was less expensive than a set with the wood, cuz I wouldn't have to search around to find an appropriate sized block. kwim?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermanyView Post
no kidding...
LOL... I have no idea what an apple and an egg might cost!!!! Is that good or bad????

I assume you mean that you would be selling them with out the corresponding wood bc you would have already discarded it.

Anyway, that dragon set is really "rare" and highly sought after. Those sets might not be as effected by the unmounting process.

I think most of the super common sets (like those that have been SAB and in the regular catalog) will loose some of their value no matter what. If you notice, it's easy to get a common set like Fab Four for a very cheap price.

If it were me and I were looking for a set I would be disappointed to see that there were no wood blocks with it bc I do prefer the wood mount. But that's just me.

If I was dying to have it then I'd probably go for it but only if it was less expensive than a set with the wood, cuz I wouldn't have to search around to find an appropriate sized block. kwim?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
One of our Splitcoast members recently sold a HUGE collection of unmounted sets on eBay. I watched the price very closely (hoping I could get the whole collection really cheap). Finally decided not to bid because the price was close to original.
Granted, she did not have any "rare" old sets. Those might be worth keeping on the wood if you are seriously planning to sell them.
That was me. ;) I sold a set of 75 unmounted sets with a value of over $1700 and I got $550 for the auction. If they were still on wood I'm not sure what I would have got for them. I also sold another set of 50 to the same winner of my auction for an additional $450. Better deal on those.

So...... yes, the value does go way down if you sell them in huge lots but not sure if you take the time to list them individually. I'm not complaining though because I was able to buy a Bosch, a new digital camera, and a new DVD/TV for my craft room with the money. We were all very happy about that one!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

On the Darling Dragons thing, you can get it MUCH cheaper. I've seen it go for $20-$30 quite regularly... there are some crazy people out there who don't know where to look (like I do!) .. I just got Snow Globe for $15, mounted.... it pays to do your legwork!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

There are two going on ebay for 5.50 plus SH they have 1day 6hours left.

"not me selling"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
On the Darling Dragons thing, you can get it MUCH cheaper. I've seen it go for $20-$30 quite regularly... there are some crazy people out there who don't know where to look (like I do!) .. I just got Snow Globe for $15, mounted.... it pays to do your legwork!!
This is SO true! I got "Dreams and Dragons" - mailed to me - for $17.50!!!! It is mounted on foam though, but hey, for $17,50, I can live with it or mount it on EZ Cling! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes