Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 AM   #1  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok, it happened to me.

I have read many posts here wondering why no one commented on their uploads. I TRY to locate some that need a comment every day. I uploaded things yesterday and some have no comments and some even have LOTS of views and no comments.:( Is it WHEN I uploaded? Or is my stuff really that bad?
-Vee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:14 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Vee, I think your stuff is beautiful!! I think the timing of uploads has a lot to do with it! I still can't figure out which days/times are "better", but I have seen it in my own gallery, some stuff just seems to go "unnoticed":mrgreen: but dont take it personally!! keep sharing your creations!

hugs

Alex

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #3  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Well, yesterday was the fourth, maybe people were actually spending time with their families!

I myself find I view a lot more galleries if they have a link in the signature. Yes, I know you can click their name and tab down, but it takes me away from the page I am on.

I don't always go through the daily uploads due to time. So, I try to randomly visit galleries!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:24 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I find that it doesn't really matter when you upload, it's who your are that gets you the comments. If your one of the big names on here well no matter what your card looks like your bound to get lots of comment just for the fact of who your are.
Personally I try to leave comments back on peoples cards that have left me comments. One good turn deserves another I say.
I've left you a comment your cards are cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by madstamper33View Post
I find that it doesn't really matter when you upload, it's who your are that gets you the comments. If your one of the big names on here well no matter what your card looks like your bound to get lots of comment just for the fact of who your are.Personally I try to leave comments back on peoples cards that have left me comments. One good turn deserves another I say.

That is what I have been thinking, but what do you have to do to get in the group?
C

My Creative Side

Some days just look better upside down" Eeyore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've wondered that too. I was actually starting to feel a little sad that 3 of mine have 0 comments after a week uploaded and lots of views. :( I thought they were pretty cards so it is a little upsetting. I browse the gallery a lot and leave tons of comments.
I'm going to visit yours now!

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

I find that it doesn't really matter when you upload, it's who your are that gets you the comments. If your one of the big names on here well no matter what your card looks like your bound to get lots of comment just for the fact of who your are.
Personally I try to leave comments back on peoples cards that have left me comments. One good turn deserves another I say.
I think one of the reasons for this phenomenon is that many people have the most 'popular' artists "buddied" so they get notices when those folks post. That means they only have to follow a link to find their posts.

So... it takes a little more searching to find the "diamonds in the rough". Keep on posting and keep on looking for those who need a smile.

Another factor is posting a ton of things at once. I know I try to comment on one or two of a person's post but it's not likely that I'll comment on every card. Maybe just post 2 or 3 things at a time.

Also check out the challenges, more people keep track of what's being posted to a challenge.

Remember that you post for yourself and your own "collection":p! Many fabulous cards go unnoticed in a community this large!!! Think of the volume of cards that are posted in one day..... wow.....!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I guess we just have to keep making cards and maybe, just maybe one day one of the big stars will like our card, perhaps make a comment or (sigh) put us down for one the week ending favorited cards and the others will follow.Then perhaps we will start to get lots of comments on our cards too.lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I experience the same thing all the time. I was hoping if I put a link to the card in the challenges I participate in I would get more comments ... but no ... I guess that's not the case either. :(

I do try to leave comments for people that don't have any or don't have a lot. If I see a card I love with a ton of comments I usually don't add to those but will probably favorite it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys have fabulous galleries!!!!

Just a tiny suggestion, you may want to work on photographing your creations in natural but not direct light... with no flash... and with a neutral background. (I go outside in the shade or out on a cloudy day, or with a natural light bulb in a close lamp). I haven't perfected it yet, but I'm getting there! LOL
Sometimes the way a card is photographed catches the eye... or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #11  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

I guess we just have to keep making cards and maybe, just maybe one day one of the big stars will like our card, perhaps make a comment or (sigh) put us down for one the week ending favorited cards and the others will follow.Then perhaps we will start to get lots of comments on our cards too.lol
Vee and Austamper,

Don't get discouraged. I see lots and lots of people posting this kind of question/comment so rest assured, it's not you or your artwork.

You might want to try participating in one of more of a couple of "Comment Threads" posted in one General stamping forum. Here's the link to the latest one: Comment Thread

It's kind of like a chain letter - you reply to the last post and comment on two cards in the person's gallery who posted just before you. Then the next person to post comments on two of your cards. It might be a way to get your "name" out there, plus you'll get to see some other people's work that you might otherwise never see.

Good luck and keep uploading!

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Don't be discouraged...I think that happens to a lot of us...some of our cards get noticed and some don't. I don't think its anything personal. Just keep uploading and remember that even if a comment isn't posted, your card was looked at and probably made someone smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the gallery trying to leave comments yesterday, and had issues.

If I went all the way to the card to leave a comment, I could not get back to the thumbnails (I may just not know how), I would have to go right back to the first page of the gallery and then into last 7 days and then try to figure out where I was.
So frustrating for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
You guys have fabulous galleries!!!!

Just a tiny suggestion, you may want to work on photographing your creations in natural but not direct light... with no flash... and with a neutral background. (I go outside in the shade or out on a cloudy day, or with a natural light bulb in a close lamp). I haven't perfected it yet, but I'm getting there! LOL
Sometimes the way a card is photographed catches the eye... or not.
I have a hard time with photography and am working on that all the time. I haven't figured out the best place or setup. I did buy an acrylic plate stand to put the card in. I took a picture of a card I made yesterday in a different setting with all natural light, haven't downloaded it yet so we will see how it worked.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar T. GrouchView Post
I was in the gallery trying to leave comments yesterday, and had issues.

If I went all the way to the card to leave a comment, I could not get back to the thumbnails (I may just not know how), I would have to go right back to the first page of the gallery and then into last 7 days and then try to figure out where I was.
So frustrating for me.
Maybe this will help you:
When you want to comment on a card, put your cursor on the card's thumbnail... while pressing down on the shift key left click on the thumbnail. Depending on your system, this should open the card in a separate window. When you close the card's window, you should go back to the page with all of the thumbnails.
Happy gallery cruising!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, I particularly noticed your beautiful cards yesterday and am glad to say that I did comment! But I have this issue so many times... sometimes I wish I could reload it to the front of the latest uploads to see if it gets more exposure!

The hint to try the comment threads is bang on. I do that often so get more comments that way. And that way your name gets out there so more people recognize you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I agree with you lbirus!!!

I think it is all in the way the upload is photographed. If you will notice, some of the bigger names on SCS really put alot of effort in the lighting, etc. and it really pays off on gallery comments.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeView Post
I have read many posts here wondering why no one commented on their uploads. I TRY to locate some that need a comment every day. I uploaded things yesterday and some have no comments and some even have LOTS of views and no comments.:( Is it WHEN I uploaded? Or is my stuff really that bad?
-Vee
Hi Vee,
The same thing happens to me, but ya know what? I like my cards and that is what is important. They may not be on the same level as other cardmakers on here but I feel I'm brave enough to share. And the longer I keep making cards the better I will become at it. I just share because I enjoy doing so. I can look back and see how I've improved and that is gratifying to me. Keep sharing... your cards are lovely!!!!

PegMN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

One thing that helps is to add lots of keywords. i.e. birthday, baby, watercoloring, Stickles, eyelets, ribbon, etc. That way when people do a search, for example, baby cards, yours will pop up along with all the other ones.
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I belong to one of the user groups (Stampin' Flybabies) and we tend to comment on each other's cards a lot. We have a lot of swaps and post our swap cards plus RAK's and TAG cards a lot (we have a TAG swap...you send a card to someone and they tag you back with a card). The key words idea is great. I usually just scan my cards and you can really see the detail and colors quite well.

By the way, Purple Flowers, I love your quote about fractions. It reminds me of another one: "There are 3 types of people. Those that can count and those that can't"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #21  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Thanks for all your suggestions! I will check out the comment threads, upload only a couple things at a time, and work on my photography. (this photog part really frustrates me) I feel a little better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Yesterday I had a DD gallery open. Being the curious person I am, I went back to her first uploads. Many only had 2-3 comments. And this was only a year and a half ago! But that didn't stop her from continuing to upload, and now look where she is! I've had some cards get 20+ comments, but most have WAY less than that. I figure at least I'm brave enough to share my work and doing so is a step in the right direction. I do find that I get more comments if I've linked to it in a challenge thread or if I'm using a current SU set. More often than not my non-SU stamped cards don't get as much 'publicity.' In fact, I have pictures of several cards to upload, but decided against it b/c they don't use SU stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:43 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Lots of good points from everyone
I do agree with everyone: the time you upload, the lighting in your photograph, whether you are part of a group or chatters here on SCS, all of that can effect how many comments you recieve.

The most important point though is to just upload because you want to do it and because you like your creations and not to worry about what anyone else thinks. All of that really doesnt matter in the big picture, KWIM?
;)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by qvandeView Post
One thing that helps is to add lots of keywords. i.e. birthday, baby, watercoloring, Stickles, eyelets, ribbon, etc. That way when people do a search, for example, baby cards, yours will pop up along with all the other ones.
I agree. I have noticed that the more keywords I use in my uploads the more attention it gets. If I don't give many details or keywords on the card the views are lower. I have noticed too tho, if you aren't a fan club member and you have to wait for your uploads to be approved the comments aren't there either...just because when someone clicks on your photo in the gallery there isn't anything there until it is approved. It says 'Image pending approval' or something like that. There are a lot of nice cards that I want to see, but can't for that reason..so I'll save it and go back to look later.

When I'm in a thread, such as this one, I will look at everyones gallery off their post. When I see one I like I'll comment on it, put it in my faves and then go through their gallery at a later date so I can spend more time looking at the galleries.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Default Don't feel bad...

I don't have many cards in my gallery and a lot of my cards are cased, so I don't get a lot of comments either. I like to keep my cards in my gallery because I give most of my cards away so i go back to my gallery to see mine. Although it makes me feel good when people comment...

Check out my blog:
http://addictedtostamping.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I noticed a BIG difference in the comments on my cards with 2 things.

The first, the picture! I used to scan my cards and it just didn't catch all the glimmer, shimmer and dimension. Now, I prop it up, stage it a bit and it looks SO much better there isn't any comparison.

The second, the challenges. The challenge regulars are very generous with the comments. If you browse a challenge gallery (ie, do a search with the challenge title like *sc130*), you won't find a card without a comment.

I have made a couple friends here on SCS due to swaps and such, so I do look for thier cards just to see what they are up to. But by no means do I leave comments on their cards only. I have 2 very young toddlers, so my comment time is mostly relagated to about 20 minutes before bed, so I don't get many out! Lots of ladies are in the same boat as me. I take the views as just a much a compliment as a comment. To take the time to click on a card to see it closer is a compliment.

Remember, there are literally THOUSANDS of cards uploaded EVERYDAY. It's not possible for every cute card to get comments. But, don't give up, it's who we send the card to that really matters! Hugs,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choc0holicView Post
In fact, I have pictures of several cards to upload, but decided against it b/c they don't use SU stamps.
Please upload them. I love non-SU stamps. Just be sure and list the stamp company name in the keywords.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXGrandmaX6View Post
When you want to comment on a card, put your cursor on the card's thumbnail... while pressing down on the shift key left click on the thumbnail. Depending on your system, this should open the card in a separate window. When you close the card's window, you should go back to the page with all of the thumbnails.
Happy gallery cruising!
WOW, I just tried this and IT WORKS! How awesome is that???? Do you know how much time I spent before, opening another window and clicking and pasting the address of each card (for commenting) just so I wouldn't lose my place while browsing the gallery? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Happy gallery cruising!

This definitely helps, thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Please upload them. I love non-SU stamps. Just be sure and list the stamp company name in the keywords.
I'd never thought of putting the stamp company name in the keywords when using my stampendous or other stamps. I do put in the bella name, but from now on I'll be putting in the manufacturer on non-SU stamps. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I think everyone should continue to upload our cards after all we are doing this for ourselves at least I do. And if I bonus and get a comment I take that as a compliment. This is my relaxation time and doing this make me happy so thats all that matters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it's best to avoid uploading on holidays unless your card will be linked to a challenge. It's also important to get a good picture so it's noticed in the thumbnails in the gallery. I look through daily uploads almost everyday, but I only look at cards and comment on cards that Wow me and inspire me to recreate all or part of it. I know there are many good cards I'm missing, but if I viewed and commented on every card, I'd never leave my computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I think everyone should continue to upload our cards after all we are doing this for ourselves at least I do. And if I bonus and get a comment I take that as a compliment. This is my relaxation time and doing this make me happy so thats all that matters.
I agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

NEW CATALOG!
I know I can say that I usually try to comment on cards I "open" but lately I've been reading more threads than looking at cards
1) because of all the new catty chatter - trying to keep up with this and that and all the new stuff about the catalog
and
2) because I am bored with everything right now and can't wait to see some new catty cards. So I haven't been browsing the gallery too much.

keep them coming! Your cards are great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I've read through the above posts and agree with the tips. I've been commenting on galleries and definitely keep posting. I am seeing lots of great cards! My goal is to eventually get through everyone on the list.

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=52833
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't comment on a lot of cards. Actually, I spend a lot more time in the forum than in the gallery. But I rarely comment on any card that already has over 10 comments on it. I don't think I have anything "fresh" to add. But I almost always post on what I like when I see 0 - 1 comments. There is a ton of work here that seems to be underappreciated. But it really is good. Just my 2 cents worth.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

I didn't upload cards for a very long time and only recently started. Most of my cards that use SU are cased from here so pretty much what I have uploaded in not SU. Agree with what most everyone says about commenting. A lot cards everyday and I try to look at today's editions a few times a day, like now when I'm home for lunch. Also leave comments for those who have left a comment for me. I just like to say I have a gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been hangin' around here for over 3 years.

I have been participating in the forums, visiting with anybody and everybody, and assisting them with their stamping questions as best I can during that entire time.

I've been sharing my artwork in the galleries during all that time as well.

I've seen this site grow from a few hundred users to well over 125,000.

I've seen the galleries grow from mebbe a hundred uploads in a month, if lucky, to over a hundred DAILY! There are over half a million images in SCS galleries. HALF A MILLION! That is AMAZING!!! There is no other gallery like it on the web, thanks to the many people who so graciously and generously share their artwork here! :mrgreen:

Quite frankly, the number of comments an upload may or may not receive has a great deal more to do with:
  • Timing of day
  • Day of the week
  • Day of the month
  • Number of uploads occurring within the day that you upload yours
  • Outside events like holidays which decrease the traffic on the site, as folks are actually enjoying real life with their families
  • Popularity of images used
  • Popularity of the "style" the piece is designed with
  • Quality of photography is huge! (if the thumbnail sucks, chances are the bigger picture isn't gonna look any better, so people will by-pass it and move on quickly to the next image that DOES catch their eye)
  • Color scheme of piece
  • Layout of the piece
  • Uniqueness of the piece (does it stand out in some way as different among the hundred+ being uploaded on this particular day?)
  • Whether or not the piece is related to one of the many popular SCS challenges, where folks actually post links to their pieces to show that they completed the challenge
  • Whether or not the piece is related to VSN (Virtual Stamp Night) for similar purposes as the daily challenges
Due to time constraints/work commitments/family, etc. I personally do not have time to view the hundred+ daily uploads.

I go into the gallery when I am looking for something specific, and if something catches my eye, I comment. I personally do not, will not, discriminate commenting on a piece because I think it has so/too many comments, or because the artist is well known. I personally do not care who the artist is, and how many OR how few comments the piece has. If I like it, and have time to say so, I do.

That is my only criteria for commenting.

Everybody's gonna do what they're gonna do. But, for what it's worth, that is what I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I have been a lurker/looker on this site for a VERY long time. I have just recently started to upload and mainly for the AMuse challenge. This was a requirement (as others needed to view the card) so any comments are indeed a bonus. I appreciate the time people take to make comments so I always try to view the galleries of those that do leave me comments. I will be honest, I don't have a great deal of time to look at all the daily uploads so I have set times when I view the gallery. I am sure I am missing many great cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Alas, I think this is sometimes true. It is simply because these great gals have their name out there. Through publishing, DD, blogs. So it makes sense that their cards would get a look. I know I always want to check out what they are making. However, if they have 30 coments, I tend to just view and not comment.

I think the best time to upload is Sunday morning. People are relaxed, at home. They may have more time to leisurely flip through the gallery. Everytime I have posted a card on a Sunday, it gets comments. Any other day? Sometimes, but sometimes nothing. Even when I think it is a darn cute card! I don't take it personally anymore. I just keep on uploading.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes