Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Acrylic stamp questions

Okay, I am in love with 2 of the Paper Trey sets. Here's my problem.....I've NEVER stamped with an acrylic set, and I don't have a clue in this world how to buy the blocks or how to use the Paper Trey stamps. Would some kind soul be willing to give me a tutorial so I won't be so nervous about ordering a bunch of new stuff?

Thanks. I just need someone to hold my hand.

Cathy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I am interested in knowing how to use them too. I have seen some great stamp sets by I, like you, don't have any idea how to order the blocks and mount them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think many members of our community would like feedback on this issue, I am moving the thread to General Stamping. ;)

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am no expert but I own tons of My Favorite Things clear stamps and some Paper Trey too...
They are so easy to use you will wonder why you hesitated. The stamps peel off and cling to a clear block. I actually just bought a larger clear block (6 by 4) at Target and a smaller one (2 by 2) at Michaels for the first time I got the stamps. I have had no problem with stamping---although I remember at first the classic SU stamp pads didnt work as well as pigment ink (versamark for example). But now I dont have a problem with the SU inks either, I am wondering if it because the stamps are worn in. Not sure.
But they are very easy to use and I love the ability to see where you are stamping..that is very cool!

Good luck. It really is very easy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

With the packaging it says to rub the stamps with an eraser before stamping to get the factory oily stuff off and get the ink to stay on better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought a package of small clear stamps in the dollar basket at Joann's. Also got 3, dollar each, clear blocks. Instructions came with the stamps on how to use. I found that the liquid chalk ink pads (Color Box cat eyes) stamped a better impression than the black dye I have--may be the brands I have--Stampcraft dye ink from Wal-Mart; Versacolor pigment ink and Stampabilities dye ink.

I plan to get some more stamps and blocks as I like being able to see where you are stamping better than with my rubber wood mounts. I can also see where storage would be much simpler. I am fairly new to stamping and don't have many stamps but my stamp container about "runneth over".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink Clear Stamps 101

What Clear Stamps are made of:

Clear stamps are typically made of vinyl, silicone, or photopolymer, with photopolymer considered high grade/quality, and vinyl/silicone being considered low grade.

Shopping for, and working with, Clear Stamps:

For those that may not be aware: The term "acrylic" actually refers to the mounting block used with clear (and UM rubber) stamps, not the stamps themselves. ;)

Vinyl/silicone repel water-based dye inks due to having low surface energy. Pigment or chalk inks will perform better on those than any other ink. They also have a tendecy to stretch, distort or "squish" when too much pressure is applied; practice to find the right touch.

Vinyl/Silicone
, are also usually featured on clear acetate carrier sheets, BUT, while perf lines that separate the images are there, you may still have to separate the images or cut them apart manually. They are typically much less expensive than photopolymer, and frequently manufactured in China.

High quality photopolymer stamps are featured on clear acetate carrier sheets, and each image is already separated from the other images in the set.

Photopolymer has a higher durometer and higher surface energy, akin to rubber, and will receive most inks, including water-based dye inks, quite well. Photopolymer stamps are more expensive than vinyl/silicone . . .

When shopping, keep in mind that you do tend to get what you pay for . . .

To use clear stamps:

Simply peel the image, with care--some clear stamps, especially vinyl/silicone have a tendency to tear-- off the carrier sheet and position it onto the clear acrylic block/mount. It will automatically cling without adhesive needed.

Clear stamps may or may not need "priming"; to resolve any repelling issues you may be having with water-based dye inks, see above regarding vinyl vs. photopolymer with regards to that. You may also rub the surface of the image with a pink or white eraser to gently "roughen" the surface. I wouldn't advise anything more abrasive than that, however, or you may damage the image.

At any time they lose their cling, simply wash them in a bowl of warm (not hot) soapy water, and then air or pat dry with a lint-free cloth. Be careful! Pour them into a collander, and rinse them that way, so you don't accidentally lose any of 'em down the drain. :shock:

Generally speaking, Clear Stamps will typically stain or "absorb" the color of the inks they are used with, but if properly cleaned after use or before switching ink colors, this will not impede or affect their performance, nor cause ink pad contamination/transfer issues.

You can store your clear stamps in CD jewel cases, if they came with one--or buy them inexpensively at WalMart.

Or, you can simply replace them back onto the clear carrier sheet they were packaged with, and "file" them. I use an expanding, divided/tabbed plastic box that has a handle on it, that I found at The Container Store. I keep my acrylic blocks in the box with them, as well.

I'm sure I forgot something, but, hopefully, this is enough to give you the confidence to make your first clear stamp purchase. :grin:

Last edited by JulieHRR; 06-10-2007 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Ack; repetitive statement re: the dang block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love Julie's explanations. So thorough and scientific. Were you an all A student???

Clear stamps rock -- most of them. Particularly high quality stamps include
Impression Obsession and Papertrey Ink, Memory Box and Limited Edition. Technique Tuesday, A Muse Arts, Hero Arts are also worthy purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I love Julie's explanations. So thorough and scientific. Were you an all A student???
Alas, no. :( I *really* sucked at math . . .

But, I'm *weird* in that I just really like knowing detailed stuff (relatively unimportant to most folks, I would guess???) related to art stamping --oooh, Stamper's "Trivial Pursuit"--wouldn't that be a hoot to play???!!!!

Quote:

Clear stamps rock -- most of them. Particularly high quality stamps include Impression Obsession and Papertrey Ink, Memory Box and Limited Edition. Technique Tuesday, A Muse Arts, Hero Arts are also worthy purchases.
ITA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Paper Trey stamps do not take to SU! Classic Ink that well, IMO. I just got two sets and while I love the images, I'm not sure how often I will use them if I have to pull out the craft ink instead!

I will try the eraser trick and see if that helps...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Okay, my confidence is growing, thanks to JulieHRR and her "tutorial". I think I just might try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

I don't have a tutorial and my Paper Trey sets haven't arrived yet, but I love my MFT stamps! I bought a bunch of acrylic blocks all different shapes and sizes to use with my newly unmounted stamps and my Bellas so they work wonderfully with the acrylic stamps as well. I love all of the ones I have tried.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KorillianView Post
Paper Trey stamps do not take to SU! Classic Ink that well, IMO. I just got two sets and while I love the images, I'm not sure how often I will use them if I have to pull out the craft ink instead!

I will try the eraser trick and see if that helps...
This is so interesting. I haven't used an eraser but my SU classic ink works great with my clear stamps, including Papertrey. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
This is so interesting. I haven't used an eraser but my SU classic ink works great with my clear stamps, including Papertrey. :confused:
Ditto. I have not had a problem with SU classic inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

That makes 3 of us.... in fact I got better images using SU's dye inks at first. For me it took a while before I got a nice image using pigment inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Cathy,

If you're a visual learner, you could contact a CTMH rep and go to an event, they use acrylic stamps. I'm sure some nice SCS member would love to have you over for an evening of acrylic stamping.

Like another person mentioned on this thread, I have better luck with SU! craft ink when I use acrylics. I need to try the eraser trick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Julie sure knows her stuff! I have to agree with Joan and the others who say they have no problems with papertrey and SU! classic inks. I always think I am going to tear the stamp, but that has not happened yet. And it sure it nice to see where you are stamping. They are my 2nd fave, behind unmounted rubber cling stamps. I'd say, go for it. MFT and Crafty Secrets are great acrylic stamps, IMO.

Oh, how I love Crafty Secrets. Ok, I'm hijacking the thread, but they are acrylic. The good stuff Julie was talking about. Boy, are they CUTE!!!!!!!!!!! So wonderfully vintage. And I am wondering about PaperTrey and what they are made of?? Crafty Secrets are sturdier and feel thicker. I don't worry about tearing these. They feel so solid.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I own one set of Paper Trey stamps. They were my first clear stamps, and I think their great! I use mostly craft or pigment ink with them.
I would suggest that you purchase the acrylic block/mount
with the grid lines. They help to "line everything up".
Don't worry, stamp happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Re: HHR's tutorial -
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Ee gads Your Highness - you are good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
What Clear Stamps are made of:

Vinyl/Silicone
, are also usually featured on clear acetate carrier sheets, BUT, while perf lines that separate the images are there, you may still have to separate the images or cut them apart manually. They are typically much less expensive than photopolymer, and frequently manufactured in China.

High quality photopolymer stamps are featured on clear acetate carrier sheets, and each image is already separated from the other images in the set.
Julie, so does this mean that if the images are cut apart already it is the high quality? I have two packages still unopened, one by Autumn Leaves (Rhonna Farrer) and the other by Printworks Clearly Defined. Nowhere on the packaging does it state what they are made of but both sets are cut individually. I sure wish they would just label the package (you know, good quality, not-so-good quality :mrgreen: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

One thing I have found with using SU Classic inks and my PaperTrey sets, instead of "pouncing" the stamp on the ink pad, I need to pounce and move the stamp back and forth. This seems to cover the entire surface well. Otherwise, I LOVE PaperTrey stamps. The Butterfly Kisses is my fave so far. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybooView Post
Julie, so does this mean that if the images are cut apart already it is the high quality? I have two packages still unopened, one by Autumn Leaves (Rhonna Farrer) and the other by Printworks Clearly Defined. Nowhere on the packaging does it state what they are made of but both sets are cut individually. I sure wish they would just label the package (you know, good quality, not-so-good quality :mrgreen: )
I, too, wish they'd put vinyl, silicone, or photopolymer on their packaging and, at the least, at their websites.

Autumn Leaves' clear stamps are actually made of vinyl. You're right, they are already separated in the package, but their durometer (density), and water-based dye ink repelling issues indicate to me that they are vinyl; they don't take ink nor stamp like photopolymer.

Doesn't necessarily mean they're bad stamps. I own several Rhonna Farrer sets and I've learned to work with their nuances, by practicing on scratch paper, so I have the pressure better equalized/not too hard, and by using either chalk or pigment inks only with them.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the Printworks Clearly Defined series. :( Do you have any of the aforementioned photopolymer stamps that Joan listed? If you do, then you can compare the feel and density/firmness of those to the Printworks stamps--there's a distinct difference and you'll be able to tell at that point whether the Printworks stamps are made of photopolymer or not. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I just got Green Thumb, Faux Ribbon and Little Lady last week...roughed them up real good with my daughter's pink "school" eraser and they stamped GORGEOUS with the Classic inks the VERY FIRST time!! I could not be happier with these stamps!!

My Blog - New!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Ooohh! My Little Lady set came in the mail today! Can't wait to play. I have hip dysplasia in both hips and I've been in a lot of pain lately (may be having surgery soon-bummer) so I'm excited to have new stamps to play with while I'm resting on the couch. Now to find an eraser...

Becca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Close to My Heart clear stamps come with instructions on how to use them, clean them, and what they are made of.

Of course any CTMH consultant will show you how to use them, also. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

JulieHRR's tutorial was totally terrific! About the only thing I can add in my experience is to use a fun foam sheet under what I am stamping. Since the acrylic/photopolymer stamps don't have a mounting cushion. I used to push down to hard and get a smooshy-blobby (such grammar?!?!) image until I started using a foam sheet underneath what I was stamping.

What I've realized is no matter the brand I have to experiment with my inks and stamps and find what works. But then that's part of the fun of creating for me!

Just my 2 cents.....

Thanks ladies....really loved this post and this weeks newsletter about the sympathy card verses is one I found truly valuable as well.

I just love this site!!
Tootles,
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tablescrapzView Post
JulieHRR's tutorial was totally terrific! About the only thing I can add in my experience is to use a fun foam sheet under what I am stamping. Since the acrylic/photopolymer stamps don't have a mounting cushion. I used to push down to hard and get a smooshy-blobby (such grammar?!?!) image until I started using a foam sheet underneath what I was stamping.
I haven't needed any sort of cushion when I use Papertrey stamps. They stamp just like wood mounted ones to me and I press pretty hard. I have every set they make (except the one that comes out in two days) and I absolutely love them. I also ordered some Palette hybrid inks with my last order and those are just dreamy. They stamp like butter! So fabulous! And, Belle Rose is a dead on match for SU's rose grosgrain ribbon.

On your question about what blocks to get - Papertrey sells a basic block set for something like $5. I got that when I made my first Papertrey order. That set works great for all of their stamp sets except Faux Ribbon. For that one, or any set with long stamps that you want to line up in a straight line, get the longer block that has grid lines on it. You use the lines to line up your stamps and it's so easy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

hehe..."higher durometer and higher surface energy" -- Who knew?

I have tried only the Michael's clear stamps and for the price of them, I was pretty happy. Lots of cute little images to play with.

Thanks for another great write-up, Julie. <bows from waist, even tho it hurts my back>

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 05:26 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Ladies,
I am a Close to My Heart Representative. The only thing I would add to all the great info. is that you often need to "season" acrylic stamps. I use a very light color ink (this won't stain the clear stamps as much) and you stamp several times over and over (ink, stamp, ink, stamp...) When you first start stamping with a new stamp sometimes the ink will puddle up and you will get little dots instead of a clear image. If you season the stamp several times it will begin to make a clear image and then it will accept most all inks I think. I too have heard the eraser idea, but I just usually season them and they work great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 06:05 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

One note on inks, if you are looking to use dye based inks on your clear stamps I would really recommend tring CTMH inks, becasue they are formulated to work on clear stamps and the results are clear (no pun intended, well maybe a little;)). My experience using different dye based inks on clear stamps is that CTMH works much better. And as the OP stated seasoning (I prefer to use a white eraser) will also help you get much better results especially when using dye inks.
HTH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I just received my first sets of acrylic stamps. I bought two of Rhonna Farrer's sets from Auntumn Leaves (Swirls and Flourishes). I also bought the Bella Brush set from Fancy Pants Designs.

I tried the eraser trick and it definitely improves the image when stamping with Dye Inks. I only have one Craft Ink pad - Whisper White - and that stamped well the first time around.

I think these stamps will get better with more use. I did notice the images getting better with use - thus far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Or, you can simply replace them back onto the clear carrier sheet they were packaged with, and "file" them. I use an expanding, divided/tabbed plastic box that has a handle on it, that I found at The Container Store. I keep my acrylic blocks in the box with them, as well.
I'm always searching for ways to organize my stamps. Do you have a photo you could share? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 05:22 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
One note on inks, if you are looking to use dye based inks on your clear stamps I would really recommend tring CTMH inks, becasue they are formulated to work on clear stamps and the results are clear (no pun intended, well maybe a little;)). My experience using different dye based inks on clear stamps is that CTMH works much better. And as the OP stated seasoning (I prefer to use a white eraser) will also help you get much better results especially when using dye inks.
HTH
Okay, I would agree with Heather, when I first started using acrylics I would use my SU inks but I would have to use a lighter touch and it would require me to check each stamp to make sure it got ink in all the right spots. Then I decided to get one CTMH ink pad and it did not require as much playing. I could actually stomp stomp a couple of times and be done. Although, I did find that the SU craft inks do work well. I have the spots (which are almost out of ink unfortunately) and they really clung to the acrylics.

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I ventured into using clear stamps/acrylic a few months ago. I have found a wonderful CTMH rep named Jan who has been very kind. I love all kinds of stamps...my room is ready to burst. But I cannot quit buying all kinds...even the Michaels $1.00 stamps. Love them all...Hi my name is Amber and I am addicted to stamping......................................
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

oof. So does anyone w/CTMH experience know what to do if you used colorbox Chalk Ink on a stamp and now it won't come clean??? It's a bbq set and the grilling utensils are stained w/brown chalk ink
I tried Ultra Clean cause it says it's for clear and rubber stamps but my friend is not sure how to get her new set clean again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

oh, is it safe to use that Awesome stuff from Dollar Tree on the clear stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Nichole Heady of Papertrey also has a great write up on acrylic stamps and ink on her blog:
http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...c_stamps_.html
I have a few varieties of acrylic stamps and Papertrey's are the best quality and will take any ink (especially after repeated use). If you are considering them make sure a gridline block is in your purchases, it is irreplaceable for lining things up - especially Faux Ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampylisaView Post
oof. So does anyone w/CTMH experience know what to do if you used colorbox Chalk Ink on a stamp and now it won't come clean??? It's a bbq set and the grilling utensils are stained w/brown chalk ink
I tried Ultra Clean cause it says it's for clear and rubber stamps but my friend is not sure how to get her new set clean again
Unfortunately there will be times when the stamps are permanently stained. For example, when you use a redish tinted ink on your stamps, they will get tinted a pinkish color. Now I have not had personal experience with this particular Chalk ink, but the stayzon I have used has never been able to come off and has not affected my stamped images and I have been using this particular set many times in the last year.

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Are CTMH photopolymer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

PAPERTREY stamps are outstanding! i have never stamped with clear non wood mounted stamps, and i took the plunge. i LOVE the stamps and they are an outstanding quality and value.
you won't be disappointed! i din't use and eraser or anything like that on them, used them right from the package.
Reply With Quote Likes