Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2004, 10:37 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Cardstock... I need help!?!

Ok, so when I first starting stamping I purchased some pre-cut SU cardstock and my creativity was booming. I loved being able to grab what I needed immediately and get to stampin'. My trouble is, I am now out of the precut stuff and have ordered the combo packs from each color family but I am trimming challenged! I have the Fiskars deluxe rotary trimmer (I think!!) and I just can't cut the same size twice!
Do you do a lot of cutting all in one sitting? Do you cut only what you need? What sizes do you use most often? Do you want to cut all my cardstock for a small fee???? :lol:
I am just looking for feedback! Someone help me!! :shock:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 11:28 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I have a Fiskars Rotary cutter

I will sit down and cut a bunch of white cardstock all the same time so I have a bunch of half sheets ready to go to be folded and stamped if I want a card quick. In fact i thinkI need to do that tonight...I use a lot of white and then use mats and whatnot rather than using the colored cardstock as a base for the card if I am making them for personal use or for gifts.

If I need a quarter sheet for a mat or whatnot I first cut my sheet in half and then cut one of the half's into two - so I have 1 1/2 sheet and 2 1/4 sheets - I have a separate folder for my extra 1/2 and quarter sheets so if I need to do a card for a certain occasion and I want to use colored card stock for a base or a mat I check to see what colors I have and see if any of those colors will work first.

I also have a folder with scraps of just SU paper so If I just need a little square of red or green or pink I check there first.

With my rotary cutter (I have the big one not the one they sold in the SU cataloge) I have it marked at the 5.5 and the 4.25 so I can line my cardstock up just right.

Sometimes one side will come out slightly bigger then the other I just shave down the larger one a tad on the trimmer and call it good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 11:37 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

What do you do with those little 1/2 inch strips you cut from the cardstock you are layering onto the half sheets? I have no idea what to do with these. I have a bunch of little white strips and they are too small to stamp anything on them. I just hate to waste the paper tho....

Holly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 11:38 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

Default just my two cents...

I actually gave up using paper cutters because of the same problem you had...I could never cut two pieces the same size. What I use now is the fiskars cutting mat (I bought mine at Michaels). It is marked in quarter inch squares. Then I bought a metal ruler with a cork back to keep it from sliding, and an x-acto knife. I find this way easier and more precise. Just watch the tips of your fingers...I cut a couple of them pretty good before I learned to move them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 11:41 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Some of the office supply stores will cut your paper for you for pretty cheap and they can do a large stack at once. I'm planning to get a pack of white and vanilla plus each of the assorted packs cut into quarters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 03:57 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the great ideas. I at least feel a little more motivated to keep at it and not go the the *bay for more pre-cut paper. I might however end up at the local office supply store! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Take it to Kinkos and they will cut a large stack of paper for you all at once and they only charge per cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 08:59 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I second on taking it to Kinkos. Only take a fairly large stack. I believe they will cut up to 500 pieces at one time. I for one hate the rotary trimmer, it's never perfect and the edges are always fuzzy.

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I just cut my paper as I need it for each project I might be doing. I also have a tote I keep all my straps in and search through that if I need a small piece.. I use the fiskers cutter and love it.

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 09:29 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I use a bypass paper cutter because I have carpal tunnel syndrome and can't do much pressing to cut large amounts on the Fiskars trimmers. I was blaming my cutter for my quarter sheets being off, but the deal is that the SU cardstock is just about one sixteenth of an inch longer than its published size. Just line it up a hair past the 5.5 mark or the 4.25 mark and you'll get 4 even quarters. My bypass cutter is an Xacto brand, and I got it at Staples 4 or 5 years ago for less than $15. Two of my friends have the large Fiskars rotary and I get even cuts on both of them, so I don't think it's the cutter.

I've been cutting extra cardstock for my workshops, and when I have a chance I just make up all the extra cards for myself. It's such a luxury to have everything already cut and measured.

HTH,
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 10:21 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

What is the typical per-cut charge at Kinko's? My baby paper cutter is just not cutting it (Ha!) these days. I am making 20 swap cards and even my husband commented on the ragged edges of the prototype I made! So I can't do a thing til I solve this dilemma. Do I go to Michaels and get the Fiskars similar to the SU one, do I express order from SU, do I order the Carl and see if I can get it here within a week? Decisions, decisions... Yikes! :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 10:31 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you're getting "fuzzy" edges, your blade is dull. I have the Fiskars trimmer that SU! is now selling in the catalog. I love it. I wasn't terribly thrilled with earlier versions, but the new one has great grid marks which makes it really easy to line up paper for standard cuts. And the Triple Trak blades are much more stable than the old style blades, which makes for straighter cutting.

It will never be perfect. But if I wanted "perfect," I'd go to Hallmark.

RT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReindeerTrout
If you're getting "fuzzy" edges, your blade is dull.
I know, but I JUST replaced the blade last week. and I don't make *that* many cards a week! LOL I can go buy another blade but really, if it's going to go dull after cutting 10 sheets of paper, what's the point?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 10:51 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

My cutters are pretty old, but my blades are not. I change my blades frequently. I do use my cutter quite a bit. But, I but cardstock in bulk. Basically for my cards. So when I have a ream of cardstock for my stamping, then Kinkos is it. I like to have them ready to stamp on. I believe it's $5.00 per cut. It's been a while since I've had it done and I have no Kinkos here in my new town. Uugh!!!

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Sounds like.... Kinkos here I come! Especially since nobody has taken me up on the offer to cut my cardstock... hee hee hee :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 01:28 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

If you are cutting with a new blade and you are getting frayed/ragged edges -- it is time to turn over or change out the cutting mat. You probably know that it has four sides to use. If can be lifted out and rotated.

Aloha,
Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Most of the copy stores will cut up to 5oo sheets at a time. The ones close to me charge $0.50 a cut with a two dollar min. I usually take quite a bit of white in at a time and have it cut various sizes. I love it! It really saves me so much time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 01:41 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I had the same experience with the Fiskars rotary wheel and sliding blade cutters. They didn't cut consistently and I had a hard time getting the same sizes. Also, they quite often didn't even cut straight. I bought a Dahle swing arm paper cutter at my local stamp store, and it has made everything so much easier! No more struggles with cutting! I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:52 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda s
If you are cutting with a new blade and you are getting frayed/ragged edges -- it is time to turn over or change out the cutting mat. You probably know that it has four sides to use. If can be lifted out and rotated.

Aloha,
Glenda
The cutter I'm having trouble with does not have a "cutting mat." I thought those were only on rotary cutters? Am I confused? :?

I have a basic Fiskars sliding blade (my name for it) cutter - have replaced the blade 3 times in 2 months. I know I need to use something different, just can't decide between the new SU cutter, a rotary Fiskars, or a Carl Cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

My mistake. I thought you had a rotary cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 05:19 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Fiskars rotary cutter and have been very happy with it (once I realized I need to change the mat fairly often). Have not had the problems I've herad others complain about. That being said...I saw the Carl Cutter demonstrated at a local rubber stamp convention and I was drooling!!!! I will HAVE TO get it eventually. Just haven't been able to justify it yet...especially when there is really nothing wrong with my Fiskars.

If you want the Fiskars check Costco - they sometimes have it for a good price with extra blades. Another plus for the Fiskars - they have a blade that is perfect for cutting faux postage!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Bring on the creativity! We went to Staples today and I had apx. 350 pieces of cardstock cut. I did one of each color, a lot of glossy white and a lot of regular white cut in 1/2 to card size. Then I had a ton of everything cut into quarters. It cost me $8.00. Totally worth it to me!!! I figure that I can trim the quarters to the many sizes and shapes that I want. So... thanks for the great idea... the lightbulbs are back on! = )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stardust
I have a basic Fiskars sliding blade (my name for it) cutter - have replaced the blade 3 times in 2 months. I know I need to use something different, just can't decide between the new SU cutter, a rotary Fiskars, or a Carl Cutter.
The new SU cutter is the new Fiskars cutter... I bought one at a craft store some months ago and just love it. But I think I change the blades at least once a month. I don't cut all that much craft paper either, but I do use it to cut EVERYTHING. I even use it to cut plastic. I think the blades are more stable than the old ones, but they don't last very long.

I gave away my rotary Fiskars... it was too bulky. I don't think I've ever heard of a Carl Cutter... any idea where I could check that out online? Thanks!

RT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2004, 03:34 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Carl Cutters are available through everafterarts.com (or maybe it 's everaftercrafts.com? ) Mike is great - he offers the products at 50% of retail to SU Demos. I went for the top of the line, and I love it. As long as I pay attention to lining the sheets up, I can cut 8 - 10 sheets at a time. Could never do that with the Fiskars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2004, 10:46 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scdecker
Carl Cutters are available through everafterarts.com (or maybe it 's everaftercrafts.com? ) Mike is great - he offers the products at 50% of retail to SU Demos. I went for the top of the line, and I love it. As long as I pay attention to lining the sheets up, I can cut 8 - 10 sheets at a time. Could never do that with the Fiskars.
8-10 at once! Oh, now I'm really drooling! I bought the new Fiskars at M*'s - because I needed it right away, but also bought a new blade for my old Fiskars and that seems to be fixing the rough edge problem for now. Maybe I will return the new Fiskars and order Carl!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2004, 10:57 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I take my cardstock to a local printing shop. They cut and score it for a nominal fee. If you have them score it first then cut it, it comes out cheaper.
Audrey
Reply With Quote Likes