Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2004, 04:41 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Demonstrator Questions

Could someone please tell me the highs and lows of being a SU demonstrator? I used to be a consultant for a basket company and it was not very enjoyable! I REALLY love the SU product, which I use all the time. In other words, I am addicted and debating the whole direct sales/home based business thing. I did not have a supportive upline at all the last time. For one stretch before I quit I had not heard from her in 16 months. I have a wonderful demo for SU and have no doubt that she would be supportive but I am just a little gun shy. Please all you SU demos give me your honest opinion on the whole she-bang! The REAL pros and cons.
Thanks a million!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:56 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Default demo pros and cons

I have only been a demo for about 6 mo. You probably already know all the pros. Hostess benefits, 20% off Su products, Stampin Success & On Stage magazine, access to ideas & brains of other demos.

The only con I am experiencing is that when I meet new people, I have to remind myself to see them as potential friends, not potential customers. Sometimes I get so wrapped up with trying to up my business that I feel I miss out on other things.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Default Thank you!

Seriously I have not checked into the benefits of SU. I am trying to talk myself out of this so much that I have not even asked my demo!! My friend sells for another company and is encouraging me so much. My DH is very supportive too but I want to know from someone the benefits because if I ask my SU demo it is out in the open and only 2 people know I am considering it. I go to parties once a month so I have a lot of friends who love it. Actually I am going to a party tomorrow night and am debating asking the SU demo the same thing if I can get her in a private conversation.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

The good:
Low minimum- $300 per quarter. For me, this means keeping a stampin club going, or having one workshop per quarter. I don't spend this much on my personal stamping, although I know some people do.

Support- my upline is in the process of quitting, but there's enough "stuff" on the SU website so that I can keep going, no matter what. There's forms, ideas...on and on. The monthly magazine has great ideas not only for projects, but also on how to run your business profitably.

The people that staff SU's phone lines are also great. They've never made me feel small or stupid for calling. And they've fixed every problem I've brought to them.

Getting the catalogs early- the mini catalogs come about a month before they go out to customers. I'm the first kid on my block to get the big catalog, too.

The bad:
$300 is alot to buy for yourself quarter after quarter. You really do need some sort of customer base to keep going.

20% is not a whole lot of wiggle room for profit. To actually make money, you're really going to have to keep in mind what things cost you...like catalogs, inspiration sheets, give aways, discounts, credit card fees, etc.

Some areas are saturated with demos. People tend to be loyal to their demos, especially if they get great service and/or discounts.

The ugly:
As you well know, having your own business takes work. Calling people, sending out flyers and email, and breaking out of your immediate group of friends.

Having said all this, I love being a demo, but I can certainly realize that it's not for everyone. My downline (I only have 1 right now) loves it, too. Her favorite part is that she doesn't have to be pushy. The products sell themselves...and her customers come back for more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 07:06 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Default SU Demo questions

I can tell you from my point of view that I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I've been a demo for 5 years, just got my anniversary pin, it's pretty with the little diamond in it. I have had highs and lows throughout those years. I am a hobby demo and don't have any recruits as of yet, my customers are so much fun....and right now that's enough for me, but love the support I get from other demos. It is the best family of stampers and scrappers I have ever meet...or chatted with througy emails.
The $300 minimum can scar people away, and so can the cost of the kit, but I had lost my full time job shortly after 1 year of being a demo, I thought meeting the requirement each quarter was going to be impossible and that I'd have to quit. I started doing daycare in my home to help make some money to support my hobby....best thing I ever did too.
I found out that if it was meant to happen, it will!
I love the SU family, they are the most helpful bunch of people I have yet to meet in person.
I have a Creative Memories consultant friend, she says she needs to keep a $10,000 inventory in her home to do her business. She does well at it, but has continually bought stamps from me, because she liked my scrapbook pages better than her own. We even share the same customers. I'm glad SU doesn't require us to keep inventory on hand for sales. Direct sales are so much easier and doesn't take up a room or house to store it.
I hope this helped you and if you have any more questions you would like me to answer, just email me at [email protected]
I love to share with others.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2004, 06:55 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been a SU customer for almost 2 years and finally decided this June to take the plunge! I'm glad I did because I am having fun with it! I haven't had a workshop and don't really plan to. At this point I am only doing a stamp camp with my sisters and one hostess club that I share with my upline.

As with anything you do, there are ups and downs. Remember you get out of it what you put in it. I like not having to have an inventory, I wouldn't have done it if I had. The thing that sold me on the whole idea was that I was going to spend the money anyways, and since you have 4 months to meet your first $300 quota I figured what did I have to lose? If at the end of my first quarter I had not met it, I would quit! I was out nothing! You get to keep everything you buy, can sell the business forms, etc on here and with the starter kit you get to pick and choose your stamp sets and ink pad colors. There are some things you have to buy, but others are only a recommendation! I am finishing up my 2 month and haven't regretted it so far! Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Hi! Just thought I would give a little insight from a different perspective! I am a sales director with Mary Kay and I work with women all the time who are in the same position you are in! Should I or shouldn't I? And the best thing that you can do for yourself is give it a try! You will never know unless you do! What is the best thing that can happen and what is the worst thing that can happen? Give yourself only 24 hours to make the decision and then go with it otherwise you will drive yourself crazy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2004, 06:30 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Default My suggestions...

I have been in a similar position as you and I can share my story with you. I was in a direct sales company (cosmetics) and had no success. I wasn't happy with it, and basically got into it because I wanted the product discount. I never had more than a few tiny sales here and there and finally just never ordered anything again. I realized that part of my problem was that although I LOVED the product for myself, I never felt comfortable telling people that I thought the product would be great for them. I felt awkward basically telling people that they needed to wear makeup or take better care of their skin! It just wasn't me!

Then I discovered SU! I have always been crafty, and always loved stamping. I didn't even know SU existed until I met a demonstrator at a craft show. I fell in love with the product and ordered several sets. I kept ordering until one day someone commented that I should teach classes on how to make cards. A light bulb went off in my head and I decided to look over info about becoming a demonstrator.

To be honest, I didn't even really read anything. All if knew was that I would get a 20% discount and I was sold. I signed up the next pay period with my demo. It was such a great decision. I have made so many good friends and been able to support my own habit, while having some extra cash in hand to enjoy a night out, or buy my son a new outfit.

I have been a demo now for over 2 years. I started off slow and have gained momentum over the years. I have 3 downline whom I try to support in any way I can. I have a great group that gets together once a month (I supply materials to make 2-3 projects each time), and I NEVER have to worry about making my minimums. I also book at least one show a week, often 2 or more. I am now able to stay home with my son for his first year and contribute to the bills and spending allowance!

When someone asks, I give them the following as great reasons to consider becoming a demonstrator.
1) Flexibility (You pick how much you want to put into your business and do it when it works for you!)
2) Potential (Great opportunity to meet new people, make great friends, and to make some cash)
3) Support (Hopefully you can have a great experience with your upline. There is also amazing support from SU. The website and demo support line are so helpful- they will answer you quickly and honestly, and do as much as they can to help you!)
4) Ideas (Two heads are better than one, and with all the SU demonstrators out there who are willing to share...you will never run out of ideas! Plus, each month you get a great magazine in the mail that has tons of ideas, tips for workshops and business mgmt, etc.)
5) Ease (OK, I'll be honest here. SU products sell themselves. They really are the best around, and trust me, I have tried many other products! When I go to a workshop I feel it is my job to show people their own potential and to give them the skills neccessary so that they can create projects and not feel like "I can't do that". Once they get their hands on the products and learn how to use them, they are sold! Also, no inventory..yeah!)
6) Incentives (Cruise, pins, rewards based on sales and recruits, convention, early ordering on specials, first peak at catties...tons of incentives, but NO pressure!)
7) Extra Spending Money (20% off the top of each sale. You can spend it any way that you like. Bills, fun, new car, whatever!)

I hope that this helps you. I would suggest that you sit down and make a list. I know it sounds corny, but it may help. Think about pros, cons, and your expectations. Call the person whom you are considering joining with and see what she has to say. Ask her for some info and discuss it with your family. Don't rush into a decision, there is no hurry, and you want to be sure that the decision you make is right for you!

Best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

Aloha- Mackinley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2004, 06:39 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi there! I can TOTALLY relate to the problems of being a basket consultant. It's nothing like being a Stampin' Up consultant. The company listens to their sales force, which is a wonderful benefit and speaks volumes about the Stampin' Up philosophy and business practice.

The prices for the ctalog actually DECREASED this past year...not something you'd probably experience with another direct sales company.

The sales goals are more than attainable. Plus, you can order and mail out your quarterly mailings with a mere click of the mouse. No more long, tedious hours of getting your mailings ready.

Please feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected]. I hope you'll call your demo after reading all of your responses and send that kit order form in right away! good luck to you!

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2004, 06:58 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Hi all; I know I am fairly new to this board but I have to say many thanks. I have a very supportive upline (all the way to 2 levels up) and I know that our group adopts many that have moved to our town into our meetings, stamp camp and everything else we do. SU has given me so much in exchange for what I have offered to my friends and co-demonstrators. I would suggest to anyone getting interested into SU that you must talk to your demonstator. She and only she will be able to tell you what their group does and when they meet and what kind of support you can offer to her. I have 1 in my downline and she has 1 under her. I try to meet with them every quarter because our group that we are in has a monthly meeting and we talk then and I do call them both on the phone to check up on them. One of the most wonderful thing about SU is the Statement of the Heart. I think that every demo whether she knows it or not follows it as their own. I have thought long and hard over the years, (almost 5 now) about staying in or getting out because of the lows in my business...but you know what, every time that I thought about it something great happened and I realize just how much I love being apart of SU and how much it has made me grow as a person.

Good luck to all of you that are thinking of taking the plunge. Just remember that if for some reason that your new upline just isn't what you need or your upline quits, you have this board of wonderful demos and I am sure that you could be "adpoted" by another group in your area.

Happy Stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2004, 07:05 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I have been in SU for almost a year and a half. I love it! I too have done other direct sales business'(scrapbooking) and by far I am having more fun with this business than I ever thought I would. I have an eleven month baby boy so I joined while I was pregnant. I loved that the minimum was only $300 each quarter so I was able to stay active even right after my baby was born. I have the flexiblity to have as many or as few workshops as I need to. When the family is busy with stuff I have at least one event each month and that keeps me active. The stamps and supplies really do just sell themselves. I get to buy new supplies to play with and every time I demo something new all my ladies just have to buy it. No pressure. I don't feel like I have to sell them on anything. All kinds of support. I feel like this is a company who cares more about you as a person than pressuring you to have higher sales. My upline is great. There are so many ideas out there that you will never run out of stuff to do. Right now I just support my habit. I am about to step it up and I love that there is so much potential there for me.

I also have a 4 year old (5 in November) and an eight year old. I guess one of the greatest things I love about this business is that I can take the two of them into my workshop and stamp with them. Try involving your 4 and 8 year old kids in baskets. My kids love making things for their friends and teachers.

Try it, the worst that can happen.
Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2004, 03:26 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I've been with SU for 7 years. I don't do much. A party or stamp camp once in awhile. It's easy to get 300 a quarter. 1 stamp camp and I usually get $500.00 party. My up line I never see. She has moved out of town. I love it and plan on keeping going.

Nancy
Rhinelander WI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2004, 03:37 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I've been a demo for onlyl 6 weeks, but I love it!! I had one event, an Open House, and that was a $500 workshop, not counting the stuff I ordered! And you get 30% off your first Hostess Order! The Starter Kit is a great deal by itself, too!

My husband was skeptical about my selling stuff to my friends - til he saw how excited these people were (they'd never stamped before) and how they LOVE it! Only half the people I invited could come, and they stayed for 4 hours, while I taught them all kinds of stuff!

When you have an Open House or workshop or Stamp Camp at your house, YOU get all the Hostess Benefits!! I got lots of free stuff with that first order! And one of my friends wants to have her own workshop at her house!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2004, 04:14 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

HI
I will give yet another view... I am not a demo. I have a wonderful friend who is and the option of 3 demo's within 10 miles (that I know of). I decided NOT to become a demo for a few reasons. First let me say that I did not feel like I have the time to "work" the business...
#1 - It was only a 20% discount (I know please dont yell at me there are many other incentives)
#2 - My demo is GREAT - she has classes that I love to attend and she takes care of us with all kinds of extra treats (candies, freebies etc) I would rather attend a class than have a class...

So I was not planning on working the business only to use the discount for my personal ordering. I could not justify spending 300 each quarter on my own for only a 20% discount. When I put all the numbers to paper it was really not enough of a savings to sell me.

ALL THAT BEING SAID - If I thought I had the time etc etc etc to run a business then I WOULD do it in a heart beat. I also was a consultant for another company for almost 4 years and loved it. I only had a hand full of customers and NEVER had to do a class or workshop and did fine. I was unable to keep up after the 2nd child and my husband started a new job that kept him away too much. Anyway - if you plan to have "customers" and "work" it even just a little it would be worth it!!

Stampin up products are great and seem to be the "In thing" right now. And they do sell themselves......As I know I am a Customer that loves them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2004, 05:10 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Thank you all very much for your insight and encouragement. Part of me wants to pick up the phone and call right this second. I do have a lot of friends that are into SU and we all get together to look over the new catty and the retirement lists when they come out. Also we take turns having monthly workshops. I know the business is there but am just a little nervous to take the plunge. I am going to sit down and discuss this with my husband again and see what we really think are the pros and cons. I will let everyone know what I decide.
Thank you all again for answering my questions. You are a great bunch of people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I love being a demo! I am a full time teacher and only have a small SU business, about 1-2 workshops a month. I always am way above my minimum, I make enough money to support my habit, and I love to share my hobby and mingle with all the other SU demos. If somebody did not say it yet, we make 20% profit up front and then get a rebate check in the mail each month for anywhere from3% to about 8-9% I'm not sure. I wouyld also like to say that SU is a very well run company. I spent 14 years in direct sales with Tupperware and I can say that Stampin Up seems to be a much better run company. Well I better get back to my class and off this site!! Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm one of those people who always said I would NEVER sell ANYTHING. I'm NOT cut out to SELL STUFF!

But now I'm an SU demo. I'm new, just a couple of weeks, but I LOVE THE STUFF. And judging from what I've seen at workshops I've attended ... the demos don't NEED to sell the stuff!

The most recent workshop I went to (right before I signed up) was at my upline's house. She had a stamp camp, which she does every few months. During the workshop, one of her friends from her neighborhood was kind of famously saying that she could NEVER be that creative! That the cards looked good, but that she could NEVER do them herself! Everyone who knows her was kind of laughing.

That woman was SO excited by her creations that she placed a $100 before leaving. I sat and watched while my upline took her order, hoping to learn from a pro. It was interesting to see how my upline DIDN'T sell the stuff -- she let the friend's excitement do all the selling.

So that sold ME. I signed up a week later.

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I have to add in, too! :lol:

I love being a demo, but I must warn all demos: go easy on your personal orders in the beginning! I felt that I had to have so many stamps, and all I really needed was lots of paper, ink, and envelopes. I spend way too much at the beginning.

I do love what I do and I believe that a hobby demo can easily meet the minimum and have lots of fun and earn hostess benefits at stamp camps.

if you really want to earn an income, start recruiting at the beginning. That's the way to make a bigger income. I'm hoping for a small income to pay for my kids' extra-curricular activities etc.

Good luck!
vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

The best reason I have for being a SU demo....I can say to my husband "Got to go to work!" and head into my dining room (AKA the stamp room) to play! I just love "having to stamp!"

I have made great new freinds I would never have met otherwise!

Worst reason to be a demo...I spend more money now on stamps then ever! But it is tax deductable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 06:42 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I have to add my 2 cents worth. My first Stampin' UP party as a hostess was over 14 years ago. That's right. And I would host a party once a year. Then 2 years ago I though I can sell this!!!! I am only a hobby demo so far no down line. It is absolutely so easy. I have not had a party under $350 and I really do not work hard at it. In fact this summer I did not have one workshop- our summers are so busy - but I always let my customers know when I will be placing an order and I alway meet my quota of at least $300 quarterly. GO FOR IT! I love the Stampin' UP magazine that comes monthly and the website. There is so much information out there to get ideas. This website if fabulous. I just found out about this website this summer. Good Luck. You will love it . I just wish I would have started selling Stampin' UP! 14 years ago!!!!!
MB Hughes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I've been a demo just over a year. I pretty much have supported myself on my quarterly limits and will have to 'quit' next quarter as I will not be able to make my min.

My problem is that I work with my upline. She had already snatched the stampers and potential stampers at work. I didn't really think about that when I started...I just wanted to jump in and be a demo...didn't think it through good enough first. I live in one of those saturated areas where there is practically a SU demo every 2 blocks! The few people I had purchase from me in the beginning stopped buying from me and I think it's because my upline started sending them her monthly newsletter with all of her specials in it. They had attended a stamp camp that we did together and she got their e-mail from that. I don't think she did it intentially to get my customers to buy from her...but her specials were better than mine and I can't afford to compete with her that way.

So you will need to look at where you are going to get customers from and if you think that they will be repeat customers.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I've never really posted - I'm a bit of a lurker, but I thought I'd give my $.02! I've been a demo for 18 months now and I must admit I really enjoy doing this! I've been somewhat successful without even really trying. As everyone has said, the product really sells itself. I originally had signed up to support the hobby, and now I'm finding that I'm actually earning some extra money out of this.

Here's what I honestly don't like:
1. I have found that since I've started having more workshops, I don't really stamp for fun anymore. I'm making pains to change that, I forgot how much I truly enjoy the creativity!
2. Getting ready for workshops can really be a pain sometimes. Cutting projects for 15 and having 5 show can really suck. Yes, I have tried to simplify - it's a work in progress.
3. Too much of a good thing! There are just way too many cool things in our catalog that I MUST HAVE, which means less $$ in the pocket.

I'm only going to list one PRO, but it's a big one for me:
1. Friends. I'm not someone who has an easy time making friends. It often surprises people that I have a real problem with anxiety. -this post is even difficult for me- Speaking in front of a group doesn't bug me, it's talking to an individual scares the cr#% out of me. In the past 18 months, I have made some real friends. Some are customers and some are other demonstrators. I talked to my husband about my time away from him when I have Sunday workshops (our one day together) and he said to me that even though he misses our time together, he feels that it's worth it because he's seen a positive change in my self esteem. That's a benefit that I didn't know was going to come my way. I honestly have SU! to thank for it.

I think that's all!

Allison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 08:28 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Here's my 2 Canadian cents!
I really wanted to sign up months ago but due to financial backing, I had to wait until this Aug. I have been a demo since about the middle of Aug.
I am probably spending more than I should but I have a plan! Ya right.
Before I took the plunge I got out all my reciepts for all the card making supplies I have bought since Jan. I added the amounts up and cried for awhile, I figured out the monthly average and decided I was spending just over $100 on stamps, paper, ink, adhesive, etc. So with this in mind, my husband was still talking to me, I decided between my good friend and I we could make my minimums. I want to do demos, so I might even come out ahead.LOL
I haven't placed my first 30% off order yet. I am waiting until Oct. 1st so it counts towards my first quarter's sales. I have already bought the Business Booster kit, it's an awsome deal. I am having an Open House at the end of Sept. so that I can put the order in on Oct. 1 and reap the benifits. I will be doing a Mystery Hostess night, so I will be giving away the hostess benifits, even though I want free stuff.
I am also planning my purchase in advance. I want stamps for Christmas, my daughther wants stamps, so I will plan these purchases by quarters. My husband's getting stamps whether he wants them or not.
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 08:44 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Kelli-that is hilarious. I'll have to think about which stamp sets my husband will be getting for Christmas....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I signed up in July and love it (my family probably wants me to shut up about SU, but I can't). That said I did go a little overboard on my first order but I NEEDED every color pad and paper that I didn't already have. I think 20 new sets was crazy as well but 6 of them were free.

I too would spend between 25-40 dollars per week on stamping/crafting related stuff but that has since gone down to about 10-15 (things that SU does not carry for my other crafting and scrapbooking needs, plus I am a supply hoarder and just can't pass up cute embellishments). Since signing up I have gone into the craft stores and walked out without a purchase...that never happened before!!!!!

I don't plan on buying anymore stamp sets until Sellabration (yeah right what am I thinking? and who am I kidding??) so for the rest of the year I am trying to concentrate on other supplies. Wish I had a hubby I could buy stamp sets for but as somebody once said "I think, therefore I'm single."

I own every tool imaginable except a Sixxix (sp?) so I am good on that end. I feel the pressure to own every color ribbon though......beads and button don't really do anything for me...yet. I love to quill so I wish SU would sell some of that..even though I own every color quilling paper (but would love to demo this).

But why I signed up you ask? Yes the discount, yes the best product out there but primarily the kinship...never have had a large circle of girlfriends because I could never find much in common with them (I am a sports junkie and always talk with the guys at work about that and in general most of the women there know nothing or do not care about sports) but now it is changing...Yippee skippy!!!

kiki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I was a Stampin up! hostess for almost 3 years, and spending an average of 25-50 a month. When i told my husband that i wanted to be a demo, i said I need to 'support my habbit!'

I have only been a demo since the first of August, and my up-line came to my house and did my first workshop for me. (i am so thankful that she did!) all i had to worry about is getting the people to my house, which for a new demo is stressful enough! I got 4 bookings off my first workshop, and enough people to start a monthy stamping club! I am so excited!

I am a stay at home mom with three girls, and SU! fits so well into our schedule! I can be home with them during the day, schedule my time to go to soccer games, girl scouts, and make time to get away and spend a night or two a month and do what I LOVE Stamping!!

Downside: I really have to watch what i spend, i want to have everything in the catalog.. (which really isn't so bad )

Good luck to you!
Allison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2004, 12:51 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of things nobody has mentioned....

1) You can get hostess benefits! SU! pays for the hostess benefits and not the demonstrator. (Many companies the consultant pays for the hostess benefits.) This means that if you wanted to you could put in one $300 order every quarter. You would get 20% off, a FREE $300 level Hostess stamp set, and $35 additional FREE stamps and accessories.

2) Stampin' Start. If you do sales of $1500 in your first three full months as a demonstrator you will earn 2 FREE stamp sets! If you recruit someone during those three months you will also earn 2 FREE stamp sets! You could earn 4 FREE stamp sets in your first 3 months!

3) You can go to Convention next July!!!!

I love SU!

Heidi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2004, 04:46 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[/quote]Getting ready for workshops can really be a pain sometimes. Cutting projects for 15 and having 5 show can really suck. Yes, I have tried to simplify - it's a work in progress.
Quote:

Hey Allison, I always stamp my extras for my personal use and to give out as samples. I never have time to stamp my own cards for thank you's etc! :?

That takes the sting out the fact that several people didn't show at a workshop.

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2004, 09:02 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

So far I have been more of a hobby demo. I had 6 people in my stampers club, I held a workshop in my home once a month and tried to do a stamp camp once a month. It was mostly the same people that came to these events. I focused on keeping them stamping and excited about SU. I haven't had any problems with cutting materials for a lot of people and then they not show up (except my Christmas workshop). But I decided that I would do one of three things with the extras when I get them. 1) stamp them for my own use and giveaways 2) stamp them and sell them at a craft fair (I've wanted to do one but I've been intimidated by stamping enough cards. this will give me a good start) 3) as I branch out and start running SU as a business instead of a hobby I hope to have new customers all the time. If i have a workshop with a new set of ladies, I'll do the same cards at their workshop and save the time of preparing a whole new set of samples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2004, 12:23 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Default Cutting extras

Okay, I feel a little silly. :oops: I never thought of making the cards and using them for my own use. That would just be way too practical. Thanks for the tip!

Even when I get frustrated, I am very happy being an SU! demo. I consider it to be a very good decision that I've made!

Allison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2004, 12:47 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default SU demonstrator questions

Hi. I'm a hobby demo who takes orders from friends and family WHEN they ask me about it. I can honestly say that I don't think there is a downside to signing if you are already a good customer! You can stop whenever you like or when your funds dry up. In the meantime, you get all kinds of great goodies, the discount, the fabulous Stampin' Success magazine, advance copies of the catalog and minis and whatever your upline sends your way. I'm very happy I signed. My stampin' area is full of supplies, I always have cards to send out, and I'm working on getting all "caught up" on my scrapbooks. I make lots of nice, inexpensive gifts and wrapping with my supplies and our little guy loves to stamp, too! He "gets" to stamp as a reward for good behavior, imagine that.
Reply With Quote Likes