Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2004, 02:53 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SWAP DILEMA

What would you do?

I recently joined a swap that had my swap with another demos name on the back with the return swaps. I thought this could only be a mistake as I pulled off her label. My label was underneath. Has this ever happened to anyone? I am trying to decide if this is a compliment or not. I recognize the name as a hostess for a swap I did around convention time. Just to clarify this is a swap from 2+ months ago. So the problem is that another demo used my swaps with her own name. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Cindy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 02:59 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Wow....I guess it's a compliment that she thought yours was good enough that she would want to take credit...but I can't imagine ever doing that to someone!! Why would you even participate in a swap if you weren't going to make the cards? I think that's just terribly wrong!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 03:00 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

You mean that what you contributed to the swap had someone else's label on the back? Or is it a card from a swap you did earlier and she was using it in place of making her own? Either way I think that's rude! You do all the work and someone else gets credit for it? No way! Was she the swap coordinator?

I've never done a swap, so obviously I've never had that happen to me and I really don't know what I would do except be dumbfounded!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 03:15 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I'd say it's not a question of whether it's a compliment or not! It seems like fraud to me. I would contact the person directly and let them know that even though there may have been "extenuating circumstances (trying to give them the benefit of the doubt) that taking credit for your work is not acceptable and they need to rectify the situation by whatever means that would satisfy - examples: they could send you a new card and/or contact all the swapees to give credit where it's due. If the one that did this, is the hostess, I'd do the same thing plus I'd add her to the flaky hostess list in one of the yahoo stamping groups. I can't remember the name but PM me if you want the info - I'm pretty sure I have the link somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 03:34 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe she couldn't use your swap for some reason and wanted to send it on to someone who would?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:13 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by justheather
Maybe she couldn't use your swap for some reason and wanted to send it on to someone who would?
That would be all well and good but to put HER NAME on SOMEONE elses artwork is jsut plain WRONG! IF she ran out of time - she shouldahve contacted the Hostess and Explained.....

I don't want to leave you hanging since I COMMITTED to doing this would it be ok if I sent you a swap done my an acquaintance a sa fill in. her work is awesome and I KNOW you all would really like it too.

Or SOMETHING - but to put your name OVER someone elses - That is like Stamping Plagerism!!!

Smiles

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Besides making cards, I also paint decorative wooden ornaments. A few years ago we had a garage sale and another crafter bought a bunch of my finished ornaments. She was selling them at the next craft sale. She had to know I would be there, I organize the sale. I figured 'what-ever', they actually didn't sell. I didn't confront her, she knew what she did.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:42 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 179 Likes on 56 Posts

I had something similar happen with our own SCS RAK group.

I received a very lovely RAK card one day, but the layers weren't being held together with the adhesive. I had to pry it apart a little more to fit my piece of tape inside. (I wanted to display the card with my demo cards.) As I pried the layers apart, I could see a different label on the back bottom. Well curiosity got the best of me, I took the rest apart, and there it was - someone else's name and info. Apparent that the RAKer had just placed a new backing on a cardfront she must have gotten in a swap!

I felt bad for the person who originally made the card, since she was the one with the original idea.

JoAnn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 06:00 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jreks
I had something similar happen with our own SCS RAK group.

I received a very lovely RAK card one day, but the layers weren't being held together with the adhesive. I had to pry it apart a little more to fit my piece of tape inside. (I wanted to display the card with my demo cards.) As I pried the layers apart, I could see a different label on the back bottom. Well curiosity got the best of me, I took the rest apart, and there it was - someone else's name and info. Apparent that the RAKer had just placed a new backing on a cardfront she must have gotten in a swap!

I felt bad for the person who originally made the card, since she was the one with the original idea.

JoAnn
Isn't that just doing a recycled RAK? I have had people do that before, only they usually tell me they didn't make it....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Default Re: SWAP DILEMA

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
What would you do?

I am trying to decide if this is a compliment or not.

Cindy
CASEing is a compliment as far as I'm concerned. She flat out took credit for your work and I think that stinks!!! I think it would be better to back out of a swap than to take credit for someone else's work.

As far as the RAKs go some people have sent me a card but wrote the note on a seperate piece of paper so I can re-use the card if I want. I would never send it as a RAK and take credit for it as mine. I do love having these cards that I can use and usually send them to friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

How horrible and absolutely classless!

I would contact her (and the swap hostess) and let them know that this isn't acceptable at all. If she substituted your card for hers, then wasn't the swap short a card? That's not fair to the other swappers either.

It's not a compliment at all. It's someone being lazy and tacky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 06:35 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Taking credit for somebody else's work is wrong wrong wrong! I don't think it's a compliment at all. It's somebody being dishonest and sneaky, and trying to pass of someone else's hard work as their own. I think there is nothing wrong with sending someone else's card on to another person, as long as a note is included crediting the original artist, or their label or info on the back is left intact.

Now, it's an entirely different thing to CASE someone's card and make it your own. You put the blood sweat and tears into it. YOU put YOUR name on it!

What if I put my name on the Mona Lisa and gave it to a friend, with the intention of having them think I painted it? I know it sounds ridiculous, but to me it's the same thing.

Sonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2004, 09:52 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I think its very very rude!

MAybe...if you were provided email addresses of the others involved in the swap you could contact them about this situation. Than they could see if they recieved any swaps that look suspicious too. If it appears this person is taking credit for items she didn't create than maybe a few of you could confront the person and let them know this is not acceptable!

Either way...I think it is important that she gets CAUGHT!! You obviously caught her and she needs to know it so she STOPS!!!

That was just wrong wrong wrong!!!!

PS. Cindy - I promise this won't happen with my Quality Counts swap!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks to all for your replies. I have heard back from this individual and she apologized. Said the swaps she received from me during her swap were late so she sent me her set instead of sending my swaps back to me. She sent a couple e-mails and sounded genuinely sorry.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2004, 02:43 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Uh-huh.
Sorry she got caught!

It was really despicable thing to do.

Oh well. At least you got an acknowledgement and an apology.

NY Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2004, 01:18 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Isn't that just doing a recycled RAK? I have had people do that before, only they usually tell me they didn't make it....
I agree - it is in bad form to use someone else's work and pass it off as your own.

I have done swaps for awhile now. I am an SU! demonstrator, so I go through all my swaps and take out the ones that have used "discontinued stamps" at the end of the year, because I can't demo these sets anymore. These card fronts I use on regular folded cards, usually for my own family, HOWEVER, I make a new label for the back of the card so the person who did it gets credit. If I can't give credit to whomever made it because I can't read the signature or what ever, I ALWAYS indicate that I DID NOT make the original front.
Reply With Quote Likes