Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTMH?

I went to a crop this weekend and was introduced to CTMH products. I'm curious about their stamps in particular. The demo was showing me how they worked (I wasn't familiar with acrylc stamps). After she was finished, another friend pulled me aside and said she had some of their stamps and didn't think the images from them were very crisp and often came out fuzzy. The demo's images seemed to come out just fine. Could it perhaps be that my friend's technique is the reason she is stamping fuzzy images? I'm curous what everyone's experience is with these stamps. Thanks in advance for your opinions! ;0)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 04:15 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a couple of alphabet sets from CTMH and have had no problem with them. But I've read that acrylic stamps can get gummy as they age but that might have been a bad batch or something if I recall correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 04:30 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a ton of CTMH stamps (and I'm an SU! hobby demo, so you know this is coming from a biased source) and I think they're great. I've read somewhere that acrylic stamps in general don't have the same crispness of image as traditional rubber, but I don't think that's a reflection on CTMH's quality. Perhaps acrylic stamps just aren't as forgiving when someone has a heavy stamping hand? Anyway, I've always been perfectly happy with everything I've ever bought from CTMH, so if you see something you like, my advice would be to go for it!

Consider me your official enabler. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I think CTMH stamps work fine. I have a ton of SU stamps but only one CTMH alphabet and I have never had a problem. You will get both viewpoints on this board. If you liked them then you should give them a try.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Acrylic stamps require a light touch when stamping with them. You don't need to press much at all, and, if you do, you will smush the stamp, thus getting a fuzzy image.

Suz
CTMH Director
http://www.suzastampin.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 05:03 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I agree with Suzastampin, the only time my images have not been crisp is when I pushed to hard. I used to demo for CTMH so I have tons of their stamps and I still love them! I haven't had any of them go gummy on me either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I have quite a few CTMH stamps and think they're great! I really think the quality of the image is determined by the stamper, not the stamp. With acrylics you don't need to press very hard as many like to do with rubber stamps. Also, a nice firm stamping surface helps - those plastic banquet tables are horrible. CTMH also includes a foam *cushion* in their packaging to use if needed. Really, I think they make great stamps and would recommend them, and their acrylic blocks can't be beat. Do you feel enabled yet? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankieView Post
I really think the quality of the image is determined by the stamper, not the stamp.
I definitely agree with this statement. CTMH stamps are good quality stamps too so that also makes a difference.

Sometimes with the new stamps, they need to be seasoned just like the rubber stamps do. You can ink up the stamp and stamp off several times or use a soft eraser over the stamp and then clean. Also it is important to use either the foam insert that comes with the stamp set or a large piece of craft foam under your project to give it some cushion.

One of these days when I get around to it, I am going to stamp something in wood and then the same image in acrylic and post to see if people can really truly tell the difference.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you saw what the demo produced with your own eyes, I guess your friend's results could be "operator error." You might want to ask to play with some yourself and see if you like them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

First, I am CTMH demo, so take it for what it's worth.

My MIL and I have had CTMH clear stamps from the time they were introduced a couple years ago. We love them and have had no quality concerns or problems. Between us we have about 300 sets, too, many which are used constantly. We do take pains to store them properly - away from sunlight and in a cool room. However, I try to do the same for my rubber.

I do think it's a myth that rubber stamps better. I have rubber and clear and they seem the same to me. You do need a lighter touch with clear - you can't go slamming down the stamp. Also, you really cannot rock the stamp while you stamp, or it will be blurry - but that is true of rubber also.

I've never had to season CTMH stamps first, but, as a general rule that is a good practice. I am scared to ink a card or scrapbook page before trying it on scratch paper first.

It does make a big difference to use the foam sheet included under the paper you are stamping.

Finally, CTMH inks are formulated to work with with acrylic stamps for optimal image quality. So, if you are using poor quality ink, you may experience beading and other issues. However, I have used SU and CTMH inks with no problem. With pigment ink, you do have to lift the stamp straight up or it will smear. Again, this is also true of rubber.

If you are just getting starting with clear stamps, I recommend one of the CTMH E-Series Alphabets, either Boutique or Rustic. You will use it a lot! I'd also recommend a smaller alpha. It's so nice to be able to rearrange letters to the word I want or need at the time. For images, any two step stamping set is good - after you two step with clear, doing it with rubber feels like such a pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
If you saw what the demo produced with your own eyes, I guess your friend's results could be "operator error." You might want to ask to play with some yourself and see if you like them.
This exactly what I was going to suggest. Ask to test drive your friends CTMH sets. Then you will know for sure if you like them or not and if you want to invest in them. Have fun

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

I heard if you rub an eraser over your CTMH stamp before you use it your image would come out clearer and crisp.

I had problems in the past getting use to using CTMH stamps, I wasn't using the foam thingy for some images, I was pressing to hard... and now I think they're great and couldn't be happier with CTMH stamps. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I haven't had any problems with my CTMH stamps. I like the fact that you can see exactlly where your stamping. I also like the images they have they are very nice and great quality looking stamps. prices are good too. THERE layouts are the best. they way they design the cards and scrapbook pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I just started buying CTMH stamps in recent months, and I have had absolutely zero problem with them. They are good quality and they come in darling little plastic envelopes for storing them. Don't listen to your friend if you like them. Some people do not like acrylic stamps, perhaps she is one of them.

Sibylle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Just like with any new stamping or crafting medium, there is a learning curve. Clear stamps have the same learning curve as rubber; remember you're first rubber stamped image? I agree with Joan, give them a test drive and formulate your own opinion. Enjoy the drive! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm another one that is very happy with my CTMH stamps. They are, I think, some of the best quality acrylic stamps out there. It was CTMH that got me hooked on acrylic stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I have two stamp sets from CTMH, I love them. I wonder what kind of ink your friend was using with them? I find the classic stampin up ink beads up a little on them. Their ink works very well, I have a few of them. Also love their scrapbook kits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2007, 01:55 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks ladies for all of your enabling...I mean, opinions. I think that I might see if I can barrow a couple of CTMH sets and just play for a day or two. There are so many cute acrylic stamps out there, I hate to limit myself to just rubber!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default Wash them

Acrylics can be washed with soap and water. Allow them to air dry and they are just like new. I've not had to wash any of mine and I've been using them for 2 years.

:-)
Kristy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you use an ink that bleeds and then you press really hard you will get a fuzzy image. My sister had the same problem. I showed her that you can stamp lightly and the image comes out fine. She was also using a cheap ink pad and it was bleeding a bit as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

I am also a CTMH demo. I have never had a problem with my stamps at all. In fact, I became a demo because I bought SO many sets of them. I'm only a "hobby" demo....

It sounds like OE (operator error)... If you press TOO hard, it will get fuzzy. But I love the fact that I can SEE where everything is going BEFORE it hits the page...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Will washing help if they don't stick any more? My friend loaned me a few of her sets cuz I am actually having a CTMH party at the end of the month, and with one of the sets the stamps just fly off the carrier sheet and also the block. Should I wash them for her and let them dry? Flat side up?

Thanks,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Reading all these opinions is great! I placed my first CTMH order a couple weeks ago (almost $200) and it's coming Friday and I can't wait! It'll be my first experience with acrylic and I was nervous buying so much when I've NEVER used acrylic before, but I'm taking the plunge. Your replies are making me much more confident in my order! I can't wait to play this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Washing stamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
Will washing help if they don't stick any more? My friend loaned me a few of her sets cuz I am actually having a CTMH party at the end of the month, and with one of the sets the stamps just fly off the carrier sheet and also the block. Should I wash them for her and let them dry? Flat side up?

Thanks,
Anne
Anne,
Yes! Please wash her stamps (all clear stamps can be washed this way) in warm soapy water. I use a cereal bowl full of warm water with a drop of my dish soap. Run your fingers over them lightly to remove any stickyness, you can even let them soak for a short time. Then rinse and put down to air dry. I usually use a paper towel to dry them on.
I hope this helps, and have a GREAT party!
Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Reading all these opinions is great! I placed my first CTMH order a couple weeks ago (almost $200) and it's coming Friday and I can't wait! It'll be my first experience with acrylic and I was nervous buying so much when I've NEVER used acrylic before, but I'm taking the plunge. Your replies are making me much more confident in my order! I can't wait to play this weekend.
Have fun. I'm so glad you took the plunge. hehee. Please share what you come up with.

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post

Thanks,
Anne
Yes, wash them. Use a little dish soap...nothing with lotions or antibacterial in it as it will leave a residue. Put them in a colander so they don't go down the drain. It's best to let them just lay to dry rather than using a towel to dry them as it could leave fibers on them. I usually lay mine back side up, but I don't think it makes any difference. Also, be sure to wash the acrylic carrier sheet too, as it could have some skin oils or residue on it.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 05:16 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the washing tips. She will be surprised when she gets them back!
hehehehe

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Default Use the foam pad!

If you place the foam pad under your paper your image will come out clearer. Someone mentioned this before, but it is worth re-iterating! And the light touch! To everyone who just took the plunge & started buying CTMH, it's addicting--so much so that I had to become a consultant to support my addiction! LOL

Liv
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Question will simple green hurt CTMH stamps????

I just received my first set of stamps from CTMH and I'm excited. I use a Simple Green/water/glycerin mixture on my SU stamp scrub to clean my rubber as I stamp ---- will this cleaning technique hurt my CTMH stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

I've never tried that and I'm not sure. I love the cleaning spray that we sell, but I have been known to use baby wipes or even just run them under water! If you use Staz-on Ink, you'll need to use that cleaner in order to avoid staining your stamps. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post
I just received my first set of stamps from CTMH and I'm excited. I use a Simple Green/water/glycerin mixture on my SU stamp scrub to clean my rubber as I stamp ---- will this cleaning technique hurt my CTMH stamps?

I've never tried this, so, can't say. I usually keep a wet paper towel on a plastic plate at my stamping table. I just stamp off on the wet towel after I've used my stamp, then, will wash under running water later.
I've found that with the CTMH acrylics, unless you're using Stazon or a pigment ink, that almost all of the ink ends up transfering to your paper anyway, so, there's not much left on a stamp.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I only have one set, but I've had no problems. In fact, I want to order more!

The more we thank, the more we discover we have to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I have used CTMH and LOVE IT. I am really diving deeper in to it now and can't wait to get my hands on my sets coming to me. But anyway, the first time I did it at a multi company open house event I brought my 3 yr old daughter and we both made a little card at the make n take for CTMH. She had no issues stamping a nice snowman. Looked as good as mine. (ok not AS good but we can forgive her for non centeredness)

My point being is that I think if you are used to stamping down hard to get a solid impression (I used SU for a long time) ... and right now I am thinking of a popular daisy set from SU that needs a lot of stand up and stamp type of work, then you might be doing it too hard on the acrylic.

No stamp is "better" than the other but everyone has a preference and everyone should stick to what works best for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I like both clear and rubber. I started out with SU and I ventured into the clear stamp world when I found a really cute stamp that came in only clear so I bought it and I have been hooked ever since. I am now a CTMH demo and I love the product. I love the way that clear stamps are easier to store and take up less space. I did find that the first few times that I used the clear stamps I did have to use a lite hand with them but now I get really clear images, I also agree that the ink makes a difference as well. Cleaning the clear stamps is simple but you have to make sure that you don't drop a small stamp down the drain. Have fun with which ever kind of stamp that you prefer but just remember unless you try something new you will never know what it is like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wavin' hi to ya, Linda! Not sure if you noticed, but this is a thread that was last posted to over a year ago... anyway, I do agree with you...everyone has different likes and dislikes, no one's is "the" perfect way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Nothing wrong with breathing life back to something right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzastampinView Post
Acrylic stamps require a light touch when stamping with them. You don't need to press much at all, and, if you do, you will smush the stamp, thus getting a fuzzy image.

Suz
CTMH Director
Hey Suz...
It's been awhile...I thought of you when I saw this posting!!! Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Anyway...LOVE CTMH stamps, I've never had a problem with them...

My husband said...."It was him or scrapbooking"...I took pictures of him packing and made the cutest pages!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a lot of CTMH stamp sets but have quit buying them because they do not take some inks very well, like the Classic from SU. Also I agree their images are not as crisp as most rubber stamps. I don't think it's the actual stamp but the design of the stamp. I just perfer the image from the rubber better. I have other brands of acrylics that are fine. That's why I think it's the design of the stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleska901View Post
Nothing wrong with breathing life back to something right?
LOL, nothing at all. I think I was just thinking about sometimes when a very old thread will get revived and all of a sudden people are trying to answer someone's question or maybe even getting mad all over again if it was a touchy subject, not realizing that the thread was way, way, old.
Reply With Quote Likes