Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I join a stamping club?

How many of you are part of a stamping club? Do you like it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I was in a club before I became a demo and I LOVED it! It was a night that I got to get out with other women and enjoy something that I loved! Go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOVE IT!
you must do it!
best way to meet people, learn new techniques, and stay current on what is available! i love being able to stamp with others too. i usually stamp alone at home.
i think you'd really like it! good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

YES, absolutely love it. For all of the reasons aready posted plus we work on designs that I probably wouldn't try on my own. Being in a club also affords me to use tools and supplies that I don't have - it helps me make good decisions about my personal purchases. Love the socialization too. Try it!!!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Yes..I've been in a Stamp Club twice (each lasting 10 months). I'm not able to be in one this time around....very upset about that! It's so much fun and it's an easy way to add to your collection!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

YES!! YES!! YES!!

I miss my stamp camps..I belonged to 2 when I lived in California and I loved it. Do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely yes!

I've been in 3 stamp clubs. I think it's the very best way to make the most of my hobby money. Just think, guaranteed hostess benefits! I'm guessing if you join a club now you'll be getting the new catty as soon as it arrives to your demo.

There were no down sides at all for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

My sister does a 'club' with family - me, my mom, my sister's SIL, and a couple other relatives. They meet once a month (I'm in the club but live OOT, soon to move back home though) and make a card or two. My sis sends me a copy of what they make, but I'm looking forward to going home and being able to make the cards myself and learn some new techniques.
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

It's really great if you don't know enough people who want to come to a workshop, because you still have a chance at hostess benefits. And it's good "adult" time too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

The only potential drawback is if the style of the demo organising the club does not mesh with your expectations. I've read a few threads where some customers were in the dilemma of being unhappy with how the demo of their club did things, but only finding this out after they'd already committed to the club and its monthly minimum purchases. If you have a set of expectations about when and how your items should get to you, how easy it is to communicate with the demo, etc etc and you are not familiar with the one running the club, it is a good idea to get some feedback from other customers beforehand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I guess it depends what kind of club it is. I think there are several types out there. The Card Club that I belong to is not the kind where you have to buy something every month. We meet once a month (taking turns at someone's house. The hostess provides dinner.) We have a theme or topic each month (set up for the whole year). We socialize, exchange cards and have dinner. Every now and then we might learn a new technique. Some are demos, some are not. We have been doing this for several years!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
The only potential drawback is if the style of the demo organising the club does not mesh with your expectations. I've read a few threads where some customers were in the dilemma of being unhappy with how the demo of their club did things, but only finding this out after they'd already committed to the club and its monthly minimum purchases. If you have a set of expectations about when and how your items should get to you, how easy it is to communicate with the demo, etc etc and you are not familiar with the one running the club, it is a good idea to get some feedback from other customers beforehand.

Ooohhhh good points Mel! I guess I would only recommend joining a club of a demo you're already happy with. It can also be a tricky situation if one or more of the other club members drive you crazy. Luckily they're all for a limited time. So maybe you can start with a 5 or 6 monther.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

I belong & so far I'm loving it...something to look forward to...new techniques & ways to use different stamp sets...I do not regret the 10 month committment...the month I hosted (all the months are at my demo's home, so just have to bring a treat), the total orders were over $435...so I got lots of great hostess gifts & free product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Another vote for do it!! My demo runs an informal club once per month... it's a great way to learn new techniques and use new supplies! My demo does not require any minimum purchases which is great! It has also been a way to meet great new people!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I think I am going to join the stamping club my demo offers starting in September. I did not join last year, because I thought I would spend LESS money not being in the stamp group. I was so wrong. I think I actually spent MORE money not being in the stamp group ... I was forever placing small orders here and there and got no hostess benefits because my orders were never near the minimum by myself. So being in the stamp group, I know that I will only place an order once a month, and because I change my mind so many times before I would actually place my order, I could work on trimming my order down a bit ... does that make sense? It does to me, lol. Also, I would be guaranteed the hostess benefits, even if I only spent the monthly minimum. Its also nice to have the adult time away from my son (he's 7) and hubby (who drives me crazy at the best of times!). There, I think I've just talked myself into joining up again. The first year I did it, I really had a great time with the other ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Love it!! and I have a Neat new Demo!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love mine! You should try it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I think I have become a better stamper due to the club I am in. I don't think it is your normal Stamper's 10. We come up with a theme for each month - like May was "Faux me out (faux stitching, postage, etc.)". We then come with enough cards to swap with the other members. Someone is the hostess each month. I think we have been stamping together for about 4 years now. Having a theme each month helps me step out and do something I might not have tried before.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes do it. It keeps you in sync.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:52 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I belong to one and it's great. We have 10 girls and the host for the month picks the technique we will use at her party. We do two cards and a scrapbook page at each party. It gives you an opportunity to see/use products that you wouldn't ordinarily.

Great thread.

If I have God and my health, I have everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 04:12 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I've been in a stamping club for the past three years and love it. The best part for me--I don't have to do a party on my own to get hostess benefits once a year. The last party I hosted on my own was such a nightmare--over 45 invitations went out and two days before I had only ONE friend who definitely could come...then the day before two more told me they could, but one never showed up. Then another gal didn't come but gave me an outside order of $2.95... It was such a bomb and I felt bad for the demonstrator and I swore I'd never do a party again! It was a happy day when I got the news that another local demo was starting a club, and I joined immediately and have never looked back. Of course, this new demo is great and always has new techniques or looks for us to learn--I could understand the disappointment of joining a club and not having good stamping going on each month. But you still get those hostess bennies worry-free!!!
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #22  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I am a demo, but here are the reasons my club members liked club:
1. It was always at my house, so they got a night out away from the kids etc
2. The hostess of the month brought a food treat but didn't have to clean her house-remember it is a my house.
3. They went home with projects
4. THey were gonna order $25 on stuff a month anyway but this way they get a social occasion and other benefits
5. When It is there turn they are welcome to bring other guests and collect outside orders. (most months my 7 gals topped $600)
6. I offered things like a monthly swap, free reinking of their pads, surprises, garage sales of my old stuff.....only to club members.
IF you can gather 5 friends who wantto join a club you may have more leverage with a demo about how you want to do it. (when, where, perks) I know I would be willing to give a lot for a pre-formed group coming to me and asking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 05:09 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my stamp club (and my demo, for over 10 years now!). I've had workshops at my house, have also placed quite a few catalog parties ($150+ order where I'm the hostess), but now I much prefer the stamp club format - I'd rather space out my spending and still enjoy the hostess benefits when my month rolls around. No wear and tear on my house or time to prep (like with a workshop party), just a FUN night of stamping with friends. It's something I really look forward to, and our demo is THE BEST - we learn a new technique, make some cards, and get to see all the new stuff.

Since it's only a commitment of a few months, I'd say go for it!!
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I'm in a monthly club. We take turns hosting at our homes which are within a few miles of each other. We commit to spending a minimum so each hostess gets benefits in her month. The first time, we committed to six months, the next time 12 months. We each get a free catty. I was lucky enough to host during SAB this year and got a huge amount of free stuff! We didn't all know each other but are now very friendly and our demo has to keep us on track b/c the chatter can get out of hand. Our demo brings new ideas and will do things we request as well. I have had a great experience and I it controls my spending, more or less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

I'm not in a buying club- but I love my card club.
I think the chance to get out of the house and meet some new ladies, and to have the chance to form friendships is the best thing about it. The second best thing is making the cards! We each prepare enough materials for everyone to make our card (I think there are 6 of us) then at the club we each make each card, and do a lot of chatting!

I'm not sure I'd join a hostess club, because I wouldn't want to commit to spending- and I place my own hostess order each year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 06:08 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently in two stamp clubs!! (equal opportunity spender!!) I love it...it is nice to get out with friends, stamp and learn new techniques!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

I'm in a monthly club and I love it. I've only missed it once (this past week) since I joined last year, and I was so sad I couldn't go!

Clubs are great opportunity to stock up on SU goodies a little at a time (ours has a $15 monthly order amount), and to network with others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in buyer's club before I became a TAC demo.

Our demo ask us to put down a deposit for the 5 months...Which was given back at the end of the 5 months. $25.00

This way everyone would be commented to stay with the club. No one like losing $25.00...

There were 4 other ladies beside myself and we all agreed on spending $25.00 a month.

Each month we would all get a chance to play Hostess
And earn the Hostess Benefits. Which was a good thing.

The group was an online group so we placed our order by the 15th of each month and paid her for our order.

Everything came to her house and she would then in turn re mail everything out to us.

The group ran for 5 months a time!

I have try doing this with some of my customers...But haven't had very many that wanted to do it.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Where would I find a stamping club???
:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stamping
I think I am going to join the stamping club my demo offers starting in September. I did not join last year, because I thought I would spend LESS money not being in the stamp group. I was so wrong. I think I actually spent MORE money not being in the stamp group ... I was forever placing small orders here and there and got no hostess benefits because my orders were never near the minimum by myself. So being in the stamp group, I know that I will only place an order once a month, and because I change my mind so many times before I would actually place my order, I could work on trimming my order down a bit ... does that make sense? It does to me, lol. Also, I would be guaranteed the hostess benefits, even if I only spent the monthly minimum. Its also nice to have the adult time away from my son (he's 7) and hubby (who drives me crazy at the best of times!). There, I think I've just talked myself into joining up again. The first year I did it, I really had a great time with the other ladies.
This makes perfect since to me. I think I spend less belonging to a club too because it gives me a chance to plan for my purchases long range. I know I will buy this many times while the catalog is good, and I time my big orders for when I am the hostess to get the most out of my purchase. And I love having the adult time with people I like doing something I enjoy.

But wait, what if I am the one driving everyone crazy?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsEknoid
Where would I find a stamping club???
:confused:
Ask your demo if she has one going that you could join. My demo offered me incentives to start one including a free SAB stamp set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapshappen
But wait, what if I am the one driving everyone crazy?????
Now that is funny!!!!!!! I never looked at it that way, I probably DO drive them crazy too!!!! Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 09:50 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapshappen
Ask your demo
Do you mean a SU Demo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsEknoid
Do you mean a SU Demo?
SU, TAC, CTMH- you should ask the demo for whichever company you want to buy products from!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee
I am a demo, but here are the reasons my club members liked club:
1. It was always at my house, so they got a night out away from the kids etc
2. The hostess of the month brought a food treat but didn't have to clean her house-remember it is a my house.
3. They went home with projects
4. THey were gonna order $25 on stuff a month anyway but this way they get a social occasion and other benefits
5. When It is there turn they are welcome to bring other guests and collect outside orders. (most months my 7 gals topped $600)
6. I offered things like a monthly swap, free reinking of their pads, surprises, garage sales of my old stuff.....only to club members.
IF you can gather 5 friends who wantto join a club you may have more leverage with a demo about how you want to do it. (when, where, perks) I know I would be willing to give a lot for a pre-formed group coming to me and asking.
I love everything about what you do as a demo!! I wonder if my demo has ever thought of doing having a stamp club??? Hmmmm...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #36  
Inking Addict

I love my club. We get a free catty and take turns being hostess. We have to spend a min. of $25. and usually end up with at least a $300.00 party. My demo has club at her house, the hostess for the month brings the snacks, but the demo supplys the drinks, plates, and utensils. We make a least 2 projects or cards every month. We have a great group of ladies and we all enjoy it very much. Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my craft club. My next door neighbor is the host, she is an SU demonstrator and comes up with the coolest stuff for us every month. In return we purchase at least $15 a month from her. I love going and making stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
SU, TAC, CTMH- you should ask the demo for whichever company you want to buy products from!
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to find a demo...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thank you!

Thanks for the info everyone!
I will be joining a stamping club - 6 month committment with a $25 min purchase each month, which won't be hard to do! I just met this demo once so I don't know if it's a good fit for me, but I'm going to give her a try anyway. I love the cards she makes so I think it will be fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, I belong to a club. My demo started it, we all take turns hotessing it and we spend about $30 or more if we want. It is once a month.

tami
Reply With Quote Likes