View Single Post
Old 08-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #16
justheather
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
Would I love to have matching water color pencils? Yes! Do I think it will happen? No. Here's why. Pencils are a lot harder to match than inks and paper. There is so much that goes into the making of a pencil and water color pencils that it would more than likely be very cost prohibitive to make our pencils in the 48 colors ~ or even 24 colors. My charcoal pencils cost me $45 and if I wanted all the colors the manufacturer offers, it would be well over $100. Don't ask me why, I don't know, but it seems to be just the way it is with the pencil industry. I've heard from others they've been asking for new pencils for a few years, I actually just wish SU would come up with a press release explaining their decision on this. Tell me it's cost prohibitive and I'll say OKAY! But don't leave me in the dark, please.
Yeah, but...

Most art stores also sell pencils of all sorts, including watercolor pencils, individually by color. Even the most expensive brands are less than $2 (and usually closer to $1) per pencil. So, even if there were 24 pencils the cost would easily be in the same ballpark as the set now.

I'd really like to go down and make my own pack of pencils in my most used colors. Exact match, probably not (especially since thewatercolors depend on how darkly you draw and how much water you add to blend the pigment), but it would certainly be closer and more represenative of the colors in SU's palatte.

I do love the pencils themselves, though. They're smooth and look pretty...just wish they colors were better planned out (I mean really, 4 yellows?)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!