Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2004, 05:24 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin' Up and Animal Testing

Happy Monday, Everyone!

A few days back I had written to Stampin' Up to find out whether they or their current vendors conduct animal testing with any of the products we sell. Here is the response I received in return. It sounds encouraging to me:

Dear Heather,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the testing of our products. Stampin’ Up! is concerned about how our products are made and our preference is to avoid using products that require animal testing wherever feasible.

In the manufacturing process of our rubber stamps we do not use any animal testing. We do, however, buy products from over 100 vendors. We have recently noted in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) documents we keep for each product that a few manufacturers use animal testing to verify the safety of products.

Is there information you could share with us about resources that we could use in approaching our vendors about this issue?

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Thank If you have further questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Sharee Hughes
Electronic Demonstrator Support
Stampin' Up!®

I then returned with this response. I truly hope that they do discuss with their vendors some cruelty-free testing alternatives. Here's the email I sent back:

Thanks so much for your quick response in regard to Stampin' Up's use of animal testing.

If Stampin' Up management would like more information on how to broach the subject of animal testing with its vendors, you may find many helpful pieces of literature and documents on the PETA (People For the Ethical Treatment of Animals) website at www.peta.org.

In your reply, you had stated that a few of Stampin' Up's vendors admittedly use animal testing. If possible, could you please supply me with the names of the vendors who were listed in the MSDS documents you have on file as currently using test animals for their products? I would be interested in sending them each some information regarding cruelty-free alternatives to live testing. Also, please include a list of the actual products that these companies supply to Stampin' Up. As an avid animal lover and vegetarian, I choose to neither lend support nor income to companies who do not support cruelty-free living for all creatures.

The ever growing number of people who comprise the animal rights sector of the country account for millions of dollars of trade each and every day. It would be great to see our company, Stampin' Up, listed among the other wonderful businesses across the nation who do not use nor condone testing on animals. Being a member of this "testing free" force and therby being listed in the free booklet provided by PETA to concerned consumers, will ensure added dollars of annual revenue to Stampin' Up for years and years to come.

If I can be of any more assistance, please feel free to call me at 330-927-xxxx. Thanks so much for your help in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Heather Taylor

Stampin' Up Demonstrator and Animal Lover

STOP ANIMAL CRUELTY TODAY! Visit www.peta.org

Just thought I would share what an animal friendly company Stampin' Up is with my fellow stampers. Have a great night!

Heather

*edited to take out your phone number;)

Last edited by camsmom; 05-03-2005 at 06:39 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #2  
Failed Lurker

Good for you! It had never even occurred to me that there might be animal testing involved in SU products. Can you get them to tell you WHICH product they are, so that people have the option of avoiding them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I am very interested in what they have to say also.
Tonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I would be interested as well. I am also a "Heather" and "animal lover" and one of those "Weirdo Vegetarians"!!!!

Thanks for inquiring about this, and for sharing the information!

Look for what is good and you will find it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:59 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Heather! You might want to delete your phone number from this copy of your letter, though!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Ok, I can't resist adding that I too am a vegetarian Heather. I'm all excited because my three new pairs of non-leather Birkenstocks are supposed to be delivered today. Yay!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for posting this, it never occured to me that any company making craft products would test on animals. As an avid animal lover, thank-you for educating me and please let us know when you hear again from SU! I am curious to know which companies do this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2005, 06:30 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I'm curious...

did SU ever give you the supply list you requested?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default A little research

I emailed SU! for the list of products they carry that are tested on animals. No reply just yet. I did a little further investigation and emailed Tsukineko, manufacturer of Kaleidacolor, Encore, Staz On, Versamark, etc. and they replied with NO ANIMAL TESTING. The company name actually means " CAT in the MOON".

Thanks for caring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi
Okay I do try to buy products that are not tested on animals but I have been told by the local pet store owner, mom and pop shop in a small town, that peta has been trying to make it where you can no longer own a dog/cat/any animal and they want all puppies and kitties "fixed" so they can no longer bred. I didn't look on petas website to research this or anything but I love my dog she is like one of my kids somethings are just taken to far. I know that this isn't really related but just want to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up

Awesome letter and idea! Keep us posted on what you find out and maybe the few products that are not cruelty free I will ban or send support of the compnay changing their practices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

This is interesting. Thanks for the letter and the information.
I have friends who are definitely involved in the Humane Society and the like, and this will be good news to them (me too!). I'm new here, but I see the dates are from 2005. If anyone knows if there are updates, or where I can find more information on this topic, would you please PM me? TIA!!!
Cheers,
Stacy
Stampin' blog here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Hello, this thread is over 10 years old. Did anyone ever get an answer?
Reply With Quote Likes