Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCSing to Incirlik Turkey

I am wondering if there is by chance someone that is or has been stationed at this base? We just found out that we have orders there. We were suppose to go to the Azores but those ones were cancelled because my husband made rank. So now they have us going to Turkey. Any information that you have on this base or area around it would be greatly appreciated. This is our first overseas assignment and I am quite nervous but also very excited. If you would like to e-mail me directly that would be fine as well [email protected] Thanks in advance!!

SCS # 8932
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

hi melody! we were stationed there from '96 to '98. we lived in an apt. off base for a few months, then moved on base. you have to deal w/ power outages off base and i believe propane is used for your hot water and cooking. on base is nice and we had our first son there, so the hospital is good. right off base is called "the alley", just shop after shop, lots of little kids asking you to buy some perfume for $10 and such, but a neat experience. we were able to purchase a lot of neat things there that are pretty inexpensive. obviously it's been a while since we were there, so i'm sure a lot has changed. wish i could help more, but don't want to say too much because i don't know what changes have been made in 10 yrs!! good luck w/ your move!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

I went over 15 years ago to visit a then boyfriend...he was a dud but the trip was wonderful! Make the most of living overseas...but I agree, when you can live on base, it's always better. PS. I have lived in both Panama and Korea with the military - all great experiences.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

We have not been there, but it sounds like it's going to be very interesting and exciting. I will keep my ears open for anyone who has been there and pass on any info I hear. GOOD LUCK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

We lived there from 1985-86 and loved it. We were there when we bombed Libya and oh boy was that exciting! The shopping was great, the food was good, and the dollar was doing great. I had a wonderful maid - they were real cheap then. The Turks were nice, but NEVER in a hurry. Shopping took forever.

My son-in-law went TDY there a couple of years ago and it sounded like much was the same. We lived off base for a few months - not a great experience. Very different from the way we lived. Then we moved on base to what was new housing then. It was gorgeous! We had a large family, my ex was a captain, and the only big home available was on Colonel's row. Now that was interesting. We lived across the street from his boss. Had to make sure the kids and I behaved. LOL

Have fun!
Melinda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I wish you good luck and lots of prayers Melody! We just found out that we are going to Yokota AFB in Japan in August. This is our first overseas move (heck, my first major move ever!). Needless to say, Tokyo is a lot different than Arkansas...
I pray you have a great demo who will still be willing to mail you your orders! One plus you could pull is tell her that you'll have an APO address and it doesn't cost extra!
Good luck!

Mommy to Alexis (10), Samuel (4), and Benjamin (3)
My Blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 05:19 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Good luck Melody! We are in Germany right now, our first overseas assignment as a family. (DH was here 20 years ago as an enlisted soldier.) We miss the states alot, but do cherish the experience of being in Europe.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry I can't help...but wanted to say I was born there...eehhheeemmm...33 years ago. ;-0

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

My DH did 2 tours there back in the 80's (before we met in '91) and he loved it. He says the base was nice back then when they were building a load of new houses; and Turkish life is so slow nothing much changes. The BX and commissary are pretty decent and "rip off alley" has some good deals if you're willing to look properly. His fondest memories were of tons of pistachios and Effes beer...but then he was a young and carefree airman lol. Good luck, my DH did 13 of his 20 years overseas and he/we loved every one of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi alyeph,
We were there in 1985-1987. What squadron did your husband work for? Mine worked for fuels. Maybe they knew each other.
Melinda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Melinda, apparently he was with as he put it, the 4-oh-worst (401st) in maintenance and then 2nd time was an extended TDY after he'd changed fields to communications, with the 2156th.

(o: Alyson
Reply With Quote Likes