Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let Stampin' Up know if you agree!

Hi all-

I've just finished up another big project with my watercolor pencils and was yet again disappointed. I love almost everything SU has so don't think I'm a complainer. However, I think it would be wonderful if SU made the watercolor pencils in the 48 colors. Or at least started with a set of 24 that matches SU colors.

Let them know if you agree.

ps: The greens are especially disappointing...hard to match to cardstock greens and no olive without mixing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 02:16 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I agree

I too, have written to SU! about these. I adore these pencils. I think they're are the best ones on the market right now. But I'm super bummed when it comes to the greens, blues, oranges, and pinks. I wish there were a few more. And don't think that I don't mix as much as possible. Sometimes I just use a touch of ink to help blend a closer color. :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 02:21 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Water Color Pencils

Does anyone have the new ones? Are THEY closer to su's colors? I'm waiting to order until I'm sure I'll get better colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 02:35 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sue....I think they are not new at all....there is no "new" sign next to them and they look the same!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I too love my watercolor pencils and I was wondering why they didnt match them to the 48 colors when everything else matches...

Christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Default Watercolor pencils

I rarely use mine for that reason. None of them match the inks or cardstock!!! :( I wish too they would come out with 48 to match their other inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 04:13 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

UHOH, I just ordered them using my demo's Great Rewards. Darn!! Should have ordered something else. If they are not going to match the colours I just may not try selling them. I've got a gazillion of these type crayons from my architectural career.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 04:21 PM   #8  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest I really like the WC pencils. No they don't match *exactly*, but I think they do the trick pretty well. I also wonder how many people would pay double what they cost now for all the colors-maybe that is something SU is nervous about (?)

Whenever I have demo'ed with them I have sold many-they don't "match," but do coordinate. Just mho

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Would I love to have matching water color pencils? Yes! Do I think it will happen? No. Here's why. Pencils are a lot harder to match than inks and paper. There is so much that goes into the making of a pencil and water color pencils that it would more than likely be very cost prohibitive to make our pencils in the 48 colors ~ or even 24 colors. My charcoal pencils cost me $45 and if I wanted all the colors the manufacturer offers, it would be well over $100. Don't ask me why, I don't know, but it seems to be just the way it is with the pencil industry. I've heard from others they've been asking for new pencils for a few years, I actually just wish SU would come up with a press release explaining their decision on this. Tell me it's cost prohibitive and I'll say OKAY! But don't leave me in the dark, please.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 08:39 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Good point, Kymber!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 09:06 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I wouldn't worry about whether they match when you demo them. I used them at a workshop with 8 guests and 4 people ordered them. Everyone loved them with the blender pens. I use mine all the time.

Carolyn
[/quote]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 09:36 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got a new tin of the SU watercolor pencils. They are the same. Although the colors don't all match the SU colors, they do work great, and my customers love them. I too would love to see them in the 48 SU colors, but will demo them as long as they sell at my workshops.
Now if my aqua painter would just get here!
Sencie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2004, 07:15 AM   #13  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

hmmm I have yet to jump in and buy a set of watercolor pencils. I guess maybe that should be on my list soon. To bad they are not in the starter kit... lol... Hoping to order that by the end of October, or maybe sooner
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just ordered them with great reward points! I have been wanting them for a long time, can't wait to try them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2004, 07:57 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I too have wondered why they did not sell the pencils in the 48 colors. I have customers ask too. If it would be too costly, they could sell them in the 4 color groups individually.
Even with them not coming in the 48 colors, I do like them. I only use them if I use them along with the blender pen. Doent' like the look otherwise. It's a good seller for my customers. Most people cant' afford the markers, so it's a good option for them....but to have the 48 colors :!:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
Would I love to have matching water color pencils? Yes! Do I think it will happen? No. Here's why. Pencils are a lot harder to match than inks and paper. There is so much that goes into the making of a pencil and water color pencils that it would more than likely be very cost prohibitive to make our pencils in the 48 colors ~ or even 24 colors. My charcoal pencils cost me $45 and if I wanted all the colors the manufacturer offers, it would be well over $100. Don't ask me why, I don't know, but it seems to be just the way it is with the pencil industry. I've heard from others they've been asking for new pencils for a few years, I actually just wish SU would come up with a press release explaining their decision on this. Tell me it's cost prohibitive and I'll say OKAY! But don't leave me in the dark, please.
Yeah, but...

Most art stores also sell pencils of all sorts, including watercolor pencils, individually by color. Even the most expensive brands are less than $2 (and usually closer to $1) per pencil. So, even if there were 24 pencils the cost would easily be in the same ballpark as the set now.

I'd really like to go down and make my own pack of pencils in my most used colors. Exact match, probably not (especially since thewatercolors depend on how darkly you draw and how much water you add to blend the pigment), but it would certainly be closer and more represenative of the colors in SU's palatte.

I do love the pencils themselves, though. They're smooth and look pretty...just wish they colors were better planned out (I mean really, 4 yellows?)
Reply With Quote Likes