Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2004, 06:48 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Etiquette

I am hosting several swaps ... and am having a few non-participators. I have seen this happen in the swaps that I participate in as well.

I am sending off my first card swap this week and it will be one card shy. I feel guilty about this ... as hostess of the swap, should I create the missing card?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 08:01 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

No need to replace the missing card yourself. You have fulfilled your duties as hostess if you've tried your best to make it work. I usually expect one or more of my own back since not everyone does what they agreed to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 08:10 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I think this is sad. I am getting ready to post a swap in a few days and I had wondered about this. I was in three last month and each time got one of my own back, even one that had only 5 participants! The hostess usually says, "please, if you can't fulfill this, please do not sign up." Now, I totally understand when "things happen" and there is an illness, emergency, etc. In that event, I beleive you should notify the hostess and work something out. But from reading the SWAP followup posts, this happens all the time! Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 02:58 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Today ... I got a swap back (from another site) ... It was for 8 cards ... I diligently made my 8 cards (using "In the Wild" ... thought they were very cute) ... spent the money to send the swap off.

And .... :( ... I get back 2 of my own, 3 of one and 3 of another! I was hoping to get 7 other ideas and I only got back 2 ideas. The reason why I swap is because I am a touchy feely type gal ... I like to pick up the cards and "ooohh and awweee" over them ... touch the paper and the embellishments and sometimes peek under something to figure out how they did that.

Especially ... in this case ... I wish the hostess had a made a few herself ... at least then I would have had more of selection even if it came from one swapper.

So ... back to my original post ... I think I will try to make the card that is missing from the swap ... at least swappers that took the time and spent the money (for mailing) to participate will not feel cheated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:02 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Ask for angels. Sometimes women who did not originally sign up for the swap will fill-in in a pinch. What is the swap for?
-Daina

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:03 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I am sorry to here about your luck with the swaps. I am in four swaps from now until mid- Sept. I sure hope this does not happen to me. YIKES!!!!

I, just like all of you, am looking forward to receiving numerous examples that I can ooo- and ahhhhh over also. Hope things work out for you in the future.

Keep your fingers crossed for me and my swaps -please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:09 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Acewear -
Thank you for that idea of asking for "swap angels" to fill in a pinch. I love the idea.

I really don't mind making the cards for this swap ... at work ... I made a few designs in my head.

And you know ... something tragic could have happened to this person or to others ... boy, life sure can get rough sometimes. I understand. I was just hoping to get some converstation going ... and some advice ... "swap angels" is absolutely wonderful!

Thank you,
Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:14 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Kimberly,
Wow, I am really sorry to hear this. I know that I am in one of your swaps, and I am looking forward to getting back several ideas. I do know that there are several swaps that I would like to participate in, but working FT prohibits this - I know that I have to be realistic. BUT. if I have made the commitment to someone, I will follow thru. If you know ahead of time that someone isn't going to participate, maybe notify the other people in the swap to do one less card. I know that I don't mind getting one of my own cards back. (just not several)That way you have one of each card done. (I don't always make enough to keep one of my own)
I know that it gets frustrating when you've put in so much work.TW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

i was in a swap recently and got like 5 of my own cards back... :( people just shouldn't join if they can't do it. what a waste of postage and time that was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #10  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I always thought that if you were in a swap say with 10 people, you would get 10 different cards back, 1 of your own included? This is not the case? Don't know if I would do anymore swaps if I get back multiple of one card. Will have to see, I have 2 swaps out (my first 2) waiting for them to come back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:18 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Kimberly,
I like the idea of a swap angel! Put me on your list to contact if you run short and need something (even short notice) after the swap closes, and you're short a set of cards or so.
How fun!
TW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:24 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

On another list I used to visit, we had a database of swap angels - people willing to step in if they could when a swap fell short. I filled in for a couple myself, being more a swap angel person than a long-term swapper - I don't have time to fuss and fret over my design, and my swaps get returned fast, (plus the warm fuzzies from being helpful).

Just a general posting requesting angels for a specific swap would probably work, too, if a database isn't feasible.

HTH -
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:24 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't want to discourage any one ... swapping is great! Again ... my really bad experience is from another site not this wonderful one!

I guess I understand a little more when people use "stern" :o words in their swap details! :shock:

The "Words of Powerful" swap is the one that I am hosting which has been a very favorable experience! The talent of these women are amazing! I hope to get my scanner fixed soon, so that I can share these with everyone. This will most likely be a repeat swap with different words. Very cute ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Maybe something should be set up as far as swap rules. I am on another site that has very strict rules regarding what a swap hostess responsibilities are and what a swappers responsibility is. You cannot participate if you drop a swap for a set period of time. Do it twice and you can't swap anymore period.

Maybe we need something like that. I know how disappointing it is and yes, things do happen, but you will find that some just don't care if they drop and they will continue to sign up.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:54 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Swap

I just had the same thing happen with two of my swaps.

Three people sent emails asking me to sign them up for the swaps. I sent confirming emails and got a reply, then they refused to answer my emails asking when their swap packages would be mailed out.

Not only is this terribly rude, it affects the out come of the swap and is unfair to the other people participating in the swap. For example if you need 5 people and 5 sign up, but only 4 people send the packages, you can't send 5 different packages back out.

It also delays the swap packages from being mailed to the people who did send their swap packages in as you are waiting for a reply from the people who didn't send their packages in not knowing if they are participating or not since they won't answer your emails.

Maybe we should post a list of the people on SCS who sign up for swaps and don't follow through.

That way the hostess can decide if she will accept them into her swap knowing they didn't follow through on other swaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I really like the idea of "Swap Angels".

I think I will incorporate this into my swaps in the future.

Add to the details of the swap:

"Communication is very important. If I do not receive confirmation from you that you have completed the swap and it is in the mail or is going to be mailed (a few days before the due date), then you will no longer be in the swap".

And then send out "swap angel" requests for their replacement. I know as a hostess ... I would defintiely throw in some kind of embellishments as a thank you for jumping in at the last minute.

I have another quesiton. This is not intended as a "flame" ... I am seeking opinions here ... Someone recently told me that they choose not to join ALL+1 or #+1 swaps, because she would prefer to do swaps where the hostess is participating as well. Do you mind if swap hostesses ask for extra card for themselves? I really am trying to define the polite way to host a swap. I have several going right now ... and 80% of them are #+1 swaps.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 04:24 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

my .02: until just very recently, I thought all swaps were x+1. I didn't realize there were some that weren't. Having said that, IMO, I consider the effort the hostess puts in is worth the extra card that I make.

~~ today. . . ~~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 04:32 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Edith -
Most of the swaps that I have seen are #+1. There is a lot of effort that goes into swapping, but I just wondered how others felt about it.

I have a "Photo Transfer Technique" swap
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

which is only a # swap, because the reason why I am hosting is because I want to try this technique. The pressure of swap deadlines makes me push ahead and learn new things.

No one has signed up for this swap yet ... which is okay ... I'll just learn it on my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 04:49 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

My guilty confession. Recently my stess level has been at Defcon 5. I've had swaps that I committed to and sets that didn't arrive in time. I went crazy. Last night I sent an email to the hostesses (3) and they were all very sweet. Apparently as far as the new set swaps I committed to (all on SU's site) everyone is behind because of the shipping issues. I've been granted an extension and I love these ladies for allowing me that and being understanding and I, in turn, started cranking out cards last night.

Sometimes dropping or asking for an extension is understandable, but communication is the key. Don't say you'll do something and then just disappear. And if you do, don't be surprised when someone does it to you. I had a gal sign up for 3 swaps with me and I with 2 of hers. I fulfilled my first committment, but received nothing from her. I waited. Nothing, not an email, not a package of swap cards. Finally I made the decision if she could not participate and fulfill her commitment to my swaps, why should I with hers. I haven't heard from her still, but I feel no guilt as she put me in a big spot with my swappers.

Everyone hostesses differently. I take 12 on a 10+1 so that no one gets their own card back. It's worked well so far. Everyone has been happy. Last month, however, I was in a swap where they gal divided the participants into two groups. Group B got all different cards; Group A, my group, got three of their own back. I would have put everyone in one group so no duplicates were sent back, but that's just how I do it.

I love hostessing swaps, my problem is not being rigid enough about deadlines with my swappers. But so far, people have been happy with what they end up getting back when I've waited. You can have rules, but when people and life are involved, it's not always easy to put the hammer down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 04:50 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Default swap Angel

Kimberly,

I would love to help you, by being a swap angel.

Debbie
cockapoo51
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 05:03 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by edith199
my .02: until just very recently, I thought all swaps were x+1. I didn't realize there were some that weren't. Having said that, IMO, I consider the effort the hostess puts in is worth the extra card that I make.
Ditto. And her gas for running to the post office. And all her trouble.

I would never host a swap but love participating. Thanks to all hostesses who go to the trouble of hosting a swap.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 08:27 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently Hosting a swap including 26 participants. I already anticipated on someone or sometwo dropping out. So I've made 2 sets of swaps. Set #1 is my "wow" swap. and SEt #2 is my "kinda wow but more of a back up" swap. If I don't have to use set #2 than I'll just make them into cards. I stamped "friendship" on them so I'll just send them out to all of my friends as a 'just because' card. THey love that stuff!!!!!!

HOpe that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 04:17 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Kimberly, Yours is the first swap I will have ever participated in, (stampin around swap) Every one I talk to, says that is a lot of cards for a swap. I don't mind because I figure I will get a lot in return. I sure hope no one drops out of this one. I am so looking forward to reciving my first swaps in return. Thank you for hosting. My .02 worth is, if you committ you must complete! Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 04:46 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I tried a few swaps here and there and I was most disappointed in them because I always felt like the effort I put into my cards was hardly ever matched by the return cards. I mean really, how would you like to get a card that was just a piece of folded patterned paper with a stamped sentiment stuck on it - not even framed! But, I didn't give up. Now, I'm in a swap that I will be in for as long as it goes. We have around 30 participants. Everyone makes 10 cards. Then the hostess matches skills so you get ten cards back that are somewhat at the same work level as what you have put into it. So, for people that prefer to make extremely simple cards, they will more than likely be matched with simple cards back and for people like me that put a lot of time, effort, layers, embellishments etc into cards, I tend to get cards back that have also taken time and extra effort. It works wonderfully. If I were to ever hostess a swap, this is exactly the way I would do it, too. Just makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 05:05 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have participated in now just a few swaps and have loved all the cards I have recieved. I have however learned a few things about swapping...like don't join a swap until the date is set and the amount is set...I am a little freaked out about one last swap that I am in that is ALOT larger than I had originally bargained for, and I am talking ALOT!!! So next time I join it will be a swap with a defininte cut off for the number of stampers and knowing the time frame as well...oh well, who doesn't work better under pressure!
I just revieved my Autumn swap back and LOVED all the cards!! It was a great one...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 06:16 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

grandmascraps -
I agree that the stampin around swap grew much larger than I ever expected ... I had a few pm asking if I would split it ... in hindsight, I might should have. But as people were joining it ... it sounded like everyone wanted a sample from as many wheels as possible. I know as a customer who has bought several wheels ... I am truly challenged on what to do with them.

I think the basic theme of this thread is communication. So, I would completely understand if a few people wanted to drop out of such a large swap ... or maybe ask that I host another swap for people short on time (like new moms and such) that was limited to a certain number of people.

I know one swapper was really wanting to know the total # of swappers before she left on vacation, that is why I cut it off when I did. She was going to work on the swap while she was vacationing. So .. I'm sure she and others would be a bit disappointed if they made 44 cards and then the swap was cut in half.

Please don't ever hesitate to communicate ... ask questions .. and I think that if people change their minds before the sign up deadline that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And things will happen ... when you will not be able to complete a swap ...just communicate it. I love the idea of Swap Angels, I know that I would be glad to become one. I have sent a email to Jenn asking how we could maintain such a list of people. I'm sure she will have a great idea next week.

And if you are in the stampin around swap and you have concerns over making that amount, please pm or email me so we can discuss it. Maybe I can find others who have the same wheel and could split the swap with you.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 06:40 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default swaps

so what exactly is involved in swaps? i have been stamping for about 4 years now...on the verge of becoming a demo myself, and have a TON of cards made that family and friends order from me all the time....is it just basically a theme, and everyone sends card examples to everyone else? how does this work, and how do you get involved? i love seeing new ideas! thanks!

steph
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 06:50 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have 9 friends that I craft with in some form or fashion. We decided to try a swap. The first one we did ... we did a "free for all" - anything you wanted to do. Since there are 10 of us total ... we designed a card and made 10 cards using that same design. We get together at each other's houses once a month and exchange the cards. The free for all was nice ... but some folks found it a bit too challenging not to have a focal point. The next one was Flowers and then Summer, etc. I found it so amazing that some of us used the same stamp set and came up with such different ideas. I love that about stamping!

And then ... I found SCS. I am in around 30 swaps right now!!!! Why? I seem to dive in head first and I love all of the ideas that are coming in every day now. I'm sure in a few months, I will chill out .. but right now - this is a blast! (Keep in mind that I am a mom to two cats ... not kids! - Makes a big difference on available time).

Under Forums, choose Swaps ... you are sure to find a swap that will interest you. I would start out small and like Keri said earlier, a set # of cards is always better for time management.

Hope to see your creations soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 07:02 AM   #29  

Yikes, Kim! 30 swaps? I'm in 2 and I was getting a little stressed out! You must have an awesome system for getting these done!

dawn

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 07:06 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default swaps

ok...i took your advice and looked at the swap forum....so, do you mail your cards to the person hosting the swap, and then they send them out to everyone else? and if you are the person hosting the swap, are u in charge of all that postage yourself? maybe this is dumb, but everyone's using "stamp lingo" lol...like 19 + 1 and things like that....for those of us that are just beginning to swap, it's information overload...can someone put it in english for me? :lol: thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 07:10 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

That is 30 swaps with the last one's due date in October ... and 50% of them are 6 cards or less. The smaller swaps are from the www.papercraftsmagazine.com site. These are the swaps that I have been a bit disapointed in .. the small swaps ... it is worse when you get back a few of your own on these. I am dwindling down on signing up for those.

I thank God everyday for my SU Demo. She came into my life when I needed a bit of therapy ... lost my Mom, Dad and one of my sisters within a 4 month period. I spend a lot of moolah on supplies - but it sure is cheaper than seeing a therapist! :lol:

When I am doing the mechanics of putting the cards together for a swap ... that is when I am designing the next one in my head. I just bought some real coffee beans this morning for the "Let's do coffee" swap ... I am in. I hope my idea works out!

I am also one of those odd ball people, that is actually much more creative and productive when I am under stress of a deadline. Go figure!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 07:34 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

I just finished hosting my first swap here on SCS and I ended up not getting cards from 2 people - I ended up taking thier piles and splitting them amoung everyone else - that way they didn't get thier own back but got 2 of another card made by someone else.

I agree - I would have much rather known ahead of time that someone could not have followed thru with the swap rather then just not sending anything or not even communicating.

I like the idea of having more people in a swap and not getting your card back - I know whenever I make cards for a swap I always make a few extra while I am "in the groove" that I either give to friends or just hang on to to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

stampinstephy-

#+1 - You send the swap quanity + 1 for the hostess. If the hostess is participating, then the +1 is not normally requested.

I usually put each card in a plastic baggie, with a slip of paper - with my SCS name, real name, email address, "the recipie for the card that I made". A recipie is usually the card stock, inks, markers, stamp sets, other embellishments used to make the card. If a special technique was used, I briefly describe it as well.

I then put all of the cards in one larger plastic bag to protect them in transit.

I buy the large brown envelopes and address it to myself ... also have the return address myself as well. The reason for this .. is that if there is a shortage on postage, then it will be returned to me not to the hostess. I also write on the outside of the envelope which swap it is ... this is so when I pick it up out of the mail box ... I'll know which swap I will be openning.

I also put some extra postage in a small envelope and write "Extra postage" on the outside of the enelope.

In a larger envelope, I put in the plastic bag of cards, the SA envelope, the extra postage envelope. I address it to the swapper and put my retrun address on this envelope. I also write on the outside of this envelope the name of the swap - a nice thing for the hostess to have and ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing is to write your SCS name on the envelope. It is hard sometimes to know that MightyStamper876 is really Pam from Texas.

I take this to the post office ... they weigh it and tell me how much it will cost ... I then remove the SA envelope from my package and put that amount of postage on the envelope ... slide it back in ... seal it up and then the post office will meter it ... I pay for the postage ... and I'm out the door.

The hostess will receive your envelope as well as all the others ... when she has received all of them .... she starts the swap by pulling out one card from everyone's pile of cards. So .. if it is a swap of 10+1 ... there will end up being 11 piles of cards ... all the same ... She then takes each pile and goes back to the original envelopes and starts stuffing them. You will get back one card of your own. This is done to simplify the swapping process. The hostess does not seal the envelopes ... she takes then to the post office .. and they all have to be weighed to make sure that the amount of postage is adequate for each person. If not, then the extra postage that was sent is applied. The post office is not too thrilled to see you walk in with 20 different envelopes ... but it is getting easier.

Things to make it easier on the hostess:
Send envelopes that have the strip that you pull off to close the
envelope ... licking 20 envelopes at the post office is not fun.

Same thing goes with postage ... almost all postage is now self adhesive, but there are some still out there that you have to lick. Yucky.

I also recommend making the envelope that is being returned to you a padded envelope. I sometimes will put my cards in the SASE padded envelope and then slide the envelope into a larger one. It protects your cards. You do not know what kind of embellishments will be used on the cards you will be receiving.

Let me know if you have any other questions ... or if I have left anything out.
Reply With Quote Likes