Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 PM   #1  
The Digi-Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Open Letter to SCS (esp. Demos)

Hi everybody!

Here's the deal. I love Stampin' Up! When I think about new stamps, new ink, new colors, new anything related to SU, my blood starts pumping faster and I get so excited I can't hardly think or breathe.

Right now, I'm not a demonstrator. I used to be, but right now I'm not. But I still love Stampin' Up! more than you know!

Because I love SU! so much, I go crazy waiting to hear about the next deals, the next specials, the next everything. Why? Because I want to order it all! Why else would I want to know about the specials?

If I were shopping at GAP and I saw a shirt on clearance that was Emily's size, as a good sister, I would call her ASAP! I'd want her to get in on it! Even if I saw a shirt the clerk was sort of looking at and moving *towards* the clearance area, I'd probably give her a heads up. Why? Because that's what friends do for eachother! And if an employee gave me a sneak preview of a shirt they were getting ready to feature in their spring line, I'd be *all over* it!! Would I steal it and send it off to a third world country to have it mass reproduced for my benefit? Well, duh, of course not! But I'd be there in line on the day it was ready for purchase!! And I'd drag along my fellow GAP-lovin' friends.

(are you sick of the analogy yet? I am! LOL!)

I just want you to know that any information I share is because I am genuinely *excited* about Stampin' Up! I am not out to get you, or your customers, or anyone else! I'm so stinkin' excited that I can't handle it! I want to share with my fellow SCS sisters all that excitement!

Maybe in the past, my methods seemed "sneaky" or "leaky" and that bothered you. I truly apologize for the sneaky manner in which I handled that. I should have just been upfront and said "woohoo! I'm so excited about what I just found out from my demo!" I can't go back and change that. It's just a fact of life. I have a really wild sense of humor and found the whole situation hilarious, but I understand that God has made us all with unique personalities. What is humorous to me is not humorous to everyone else. I understand that. I respect that, truly, I do.

I want to support you in your business. I truly do. I want to help generate TONS of excitement and buzz over the new products SU! puts out. That's why I post here. I love SU!

Change is hard. New technology means it is really impossible for secrets about the new products to be kept. Back in the day, when I posted on SUFriends, we had the same dilemma.... stuff was "leaked" the minute it came out. It just happened. Again, though, the *intent* was never to harm SU!, it was with PURE excitement and joy over the new stuff.

I can empathize with how hard it must be if a customer calls and you don't know what to do. But I can also guarantee that even if no demos leak here on SCS, that will *still* happen. Why? Because SCS is just one of many sites that share information. And there are demos like my sister Emily who are on the phone within seconds of getting new info and sharing it with their customers (who are excited and tell others immediately). There really is no way to trap information!

So maybe we need to find positive ways to deal with that. When Susie calls you and wants to know all about the special she just read about (and you're sitting there clueless with your jaw on the floor) you can choose to be angry or you can choose to use that as a springboard for you to find out the truth and then give your customers all the extra juicy details.

Please understand my intent. I'm not saying we should tolerate unethical things like putting up websites with scanned copies of the minicatalogs. I'm not saying we should do anything illegal. But please understand the heart of customers, YOUR customers. We want to know what stuff we have to look forward to. We're *just* as excited as you are. And I know at least one person will say "well, then you should sign up to be a demo"... but seriously, if we were all demos, there would be no customers. Customers are the HEART of Stampin' Up! Without customers, there's nothing!

I love you guys! Let's remember why we all are here. We love SU!

Love and rubber snuggles,
Kimberly

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 02:51 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

That was well said. And how could anyone not LOVE your sense of humor? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

mamakimberly.... You have expressed my thoughts exactly. I especially love this:
"but seriously, if we were all demos, there would be no customers. Customers are the HEART of Stampin' Up! Without customers, there's nothing!"

You are so right!!! I am not a demo either, and to hear information about SU gets me excited as well. Terrific post, and thanks again for all you have done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Just HAD to respond...

I have been stearing clear of all this nonsense going on but needed to do this:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS TO YOU MAMAKIMBERLY }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Ok, I feel better now... It's just sad that you felt the need to do this- you are a kind soul with a *great* sense of humor. Don't let all this craziness get you down. There are many of us out here who know you have good intentions.

-Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kim, what a great letter. I have never been a demo and am not currently a demo nor do I plan on becoming a demo in the near future. However, I too get excited to know about the next special or new product SU has to offer. I don't care about having the news before anyone else. I just want it for my own benefit. I think this whole thing has been so blown out of proportion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:04 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree that was well said. I feel the same way. I for one had a demo
that sends us the info as soon as she gets it. Lots of times it's the email that she was sent!! I love to share and do with everyone that may or may not know yet!! It's not that big a deal who tells it so that it gets told and then bought. Which is all we all really want to do is buy more stuff!!!!

Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

rubber snuggles back at ya!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:32 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

mamak--

I haven't been around SCS that long, but I love your sense of humor and the enthusiasm you share on this site. As a demo, I've never been offended by anything you've said or done. Thank you for sharing with all of us!

Sending rubber hugs,

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:37 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I'm not a demo either, but I also get excited about new stuff. I'm hungry for any and all info ASAP. My demo is really busy with lots of stuff these days, and a lot of time I hear about things here before she does. That doesn't make me not like my demo or not order from her; I love my demo! I will be making all my purchases and hosting my workshops with her, no doubt about it, but I don't wait around for her to tell me what is going on.

I haven't read anything lately on this topic, so I'm not sure what compelled you to write this letter, but if you have been getting a hard time from some angry demos, I think that is just a shame. I appreciate anyone who is willing to share information with me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice Letter. I just love Stampin UP too! I love getting all excited, and am just on pins and needles about the retired list. My demo just had surgery....hoping she will feel like sharing! But if not, I can come here and you guys will share...Won't you???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that nothing should be done illegally. I know that SU has reasons for their rules, whether we agree with them or not. But, it blows me away that some demos are saying they wouldn't tell their customers about this site. So what if a few surprises may be leaked. I can't believe how many sets my demo has sold because of this site. Sets come out that I may not like at first and then I keep seeing the great cards here and get "talked" into HAVING to have it. Or, when the demos start posting cards made with sets that aren't released to the public yet. By the time they are available I HAVE to have it! The first second it comes out. I believe that my demo makes a lot of money off of me and my friends looking at this site. We may catch her off gaurd by knowing things early, like color changes. But, she sure sold a lot of paper and things the other day because of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #12  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

well I just hope all the "leaking" is done now. Stampin Up is on to us and soon it will be soooooooo hard to get anything out of them until the last day I think!! We just need to be patient and wait, after all customers can't order until June and their mini's if their demo's sent them one will be arriving after the 15th, or your demo probably will have some sooner than that.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kimberly,
Your apology was very sweet (and funny!), but I don't think you have anything to appologize for. The excitement generated by posts such as yours only increases interest in SU! products, which, in turn, increases all demonstrators' sales! As soon as I learned about the new colors, I was on the phone with my demonstrator ordering a slew of reinkers, and I doubt that I was the only one! If I were the first to find out news like that, you can bet I'd be on here as fast as I could to tell everyone the news.
Thank you for "sharing what you love"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

I haven't been here very long, and I'm not a demo. I'm just a person--a customer if you will--who is really interested in stamping and especially SU! And I don't really have an opinion on this whole thing--I just think that nothing illegal should be done. With that said, I have to say that you, MamaK, are one of my favorite posters! I think you rock and I always enjoy reading what you have to say Bravo!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

MamaK,

Here!! Here!! You have a way with words!! My sentiments exactly!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:10 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I agree with your post, Kimberly. I'm sorry that someone got bashed for sharing information. I for one truly appreciate getting the information without having to wait. It's just that we looove the products and want to know! An analogy---my husband works for a big corporation and just recently found out his department is being bought by a small company. No one was "supposed" to know just yet, but some people including competitors somehow found out the information and confronted my husband about it. What can we do? Just deal with it and accept that information cannot always be sealed.
Anyhow, thanks to whoever wants to share their information!! I do appreciate it. It's not like we are given the President's social security number, phone number or the like. Lol. ((putting on my armor))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

While I can appreciate your point of view, your analogy is a little off. ;) A sale at the GAP is a time-sensitive thing - with limited supply. Not the same can be said of most of the info leaked here.

Obviously those who are not demos are going to "side" with you - who wants to wait for the good news! (meant totally with a smile!) ;) Still, though, it is a choice you have to make for yourself. You obviously aren't going to stop posting the information and with a demo as a sister, no matter how much it may upset the other demos here (and really their opinion is the only one that matters, if you are evaluating ethics - customers aren't REALLY affected). (edited: I mean customers are not affected by info being released right as it is squeezed from the SU demo site vs. a day or two later.) Excitement will be built no matter when the information is released! Odds are you will have new information as soon as, if not before, most demos do. Not much point in continuing to debate it. You have to do what you think is right

-Christina

Last edited by stardust; 04-28-2005 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: to clarify a little!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:37 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=mahodgman]I'm not a demo either, but I also get excited about new stuff. I'm hungry for any and all info ASAP. My demo is really busy with lots of stuff these days, and a lot of time I hear about things here before she does.

I completely agree, I love to come here and get excited to go out and be creative. I love to read your posts MamaK you remind me of myself, bursting with enthusiasm. I just haven't been around here long enough to feel comfortable yet. Give me time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:50 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stardust
Obviously those who are not demos are going to "side" with you - who wants to wait for the good news! ;) Still, though, it is a choice you have to make for yourself. You obviously aren't going to stop posting the information and with a demo as a sister, no matter how much it may upset the other demos here (and really their opinion is the only one that matters, if you are evaluating ethics - customers aren't REALLY affected). Excitement will be built no matter when the information is released! Odds are you will have new information as soon as, if not before, most demos do. Not much point in continuing to debate it. You have to do what you think is right

-Christina
Why do you feel that customers are not affected and that demo's opinions are the only ones that matter? I really don't understand that statement at all. How does this negatively impact your business? As I posted earlier, my business goes to my local demo who doesn't always have the latest info. She is not negatively affected as far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #20  
The Digi-Freak

And please know that you are entitled to disagree with me.

I have no problems with that.

I just wanted to represent the customer side. That's all. I am sad that Christina feels customers are not important, but that's her business and her issue to deal with in her business.

I am not out to judge or point fingers or preach. I honestly don't have the patience to do that ;)

Kimberly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
Stampin Up is on to us and soon it will be soooooooo hard to get anything out of them until the last day I think!!
I hate to sound stupid, but I think I missed something,,, what do you mean by this? "on to us"? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

(and really their opinion is the only one that matters, if you are evaluating ethics - customers aren't REALLY affected). -Christina
OMG -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:04 PM   #23  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDSDinks1993
I hate to sound stupid, but I think I missed something,,, what do you mean by this? "on to us"? :confused:
What I meant is they know that this site has been giving everyone "early" information. Oh well.. I am done with this thread now!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:04 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

[QUOTE=mahodgman]I'm not a demo either, but I also get excited about new stuff. I'm hungry for any and all info ASAP. My demo is really busy with lots of stuff these days, and a lot of time I hear about things here before she does.

My demo is great I would not be doing my first swap if not for her. And just a few weeks ago she told us about the color changes and some other new stuff. I found this site on my own about a year ago for stamped samples. I have not been on for the past year and I have never been more excited then I am the first time I learned about SU 5 years ago.

I personal try not to find out the secrets but if I come across it I will check with her 1st and keep it to myself.

I loved your letter mahadgman and I feel the same way too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Default Hmmmm......

Mamakimberly et. al.:

I *am* a demo. And I just *LOVE* that y'all get as excited as I do!!! Ya know, if it's supposed to be this big, huge "Academy Awards" type secret, then it should be released on the website *FIRST* for super-secret announcement purposes and availability to everyone...then mailed out to the masses. Otherwise: as far as I'm concerned, once it leaves their doors, it becomes public knowledge.

I remember someone saying a few weeks ago about the new colors: "...this isn't public knowledge yet..."

What??? Hey! Wait! For those that *LIKE* the colors that are retiring, let them start ordering them en masse as soon as they want! What, were we supposed to keep this a secret? There was nothing in the literature telling me to keep it a secret!

Anyhow....keep getting excited. I personally *LOVE* to see it - it keeps me going on days when I'm not all that enthused, and helps me see things from a customer's perspective instead of a demo's perspective. Also lets me know that my opinion isn't the only one that matters!

And BTW: This is my NSHO...but opinions are like butts...everybody has one. ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #26  
The Digi-Freak

Kaylyn.... there's another half to that quote.... "and if they don't, they're full of poop"

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

While I appreciate that some demos feel the need to keep things secret, I don't agree. I have more than once had a customer thank me for telling them something early so they could better plan for their purchases. I don't have unlimited funds for stamping and neither do my customers. I would hate for them to be bummed about missing out on something due to lack of funds and be unhappy with a purchase. I do think this makes it a time sensitive issues. I applaud all of you who are supporting this site for the wonderful place that it is. I started coming here as a customer and have stayed as a demo. I don't feel any more entitled to any part of it as a demo than I did as a customer. It's not a secret society. There were no initiation rituals and I did not sign any pledges of secrecy. I completely agree with Kaylyn's comments about once it leaves the door it's public information. SU can surely post on their own site the day of if they truly wanted it kept secret. I love to build excitement about things and I hope my customers feel the same way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:22 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Thumbs up SU

Kimberly, I love your humor and your enthusiasm for stamping!! I always enjoy reading anything you post. I am not a demo and have no plans to be one. I have purchased more stamp sets, etc. from looking at this site than I ever planned on. I am sure there are plenty of people like me who boost their demo's sales by what they see posted here. My sister (my demo) always laughs at me as I give her another list of "stuff" I just have to have because I saw it on SCS!!
I like to hear about new items and any other news concerning SU so I can plan out my purchases. It is very frustrating when you budget and plan to buy certain stamp sets and then two weeks later you find out they are on the 50% off list. This happened to me this year and my initial reaction wasn't a happy one. I agree that the customers make this business the success that it is. No need to apologize in my opinion.

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDSDinks1993
OMG -
I think this is being taken differently than I meant it, so I wanted to apologize. I only meant that in a discussion about whether or not it is fair TO DEMOS to release information earlier than SU wants it to be public - that demos are the ones affected and therefore it is their opinion that seems to matter most. I in no way meant to imply that customers' opinions are not important. Never in a million years would I say or mean that and I truly truly apologize for the misunderstanding.

And to the OP, I am sorry I confused you with your sister. That is why I thought you were no longer a demo - it is your sister who is not. Sorry about that.

Whew - no more flaming PM's okay? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahodgman
Why do you feel that customers are not affected and that demo's opinions are the only ones that matter? I really don't understand that statement at all. How does this negatively impact your business? As I posted earlier, my business goes to my local demo who doesn't always have the latest info. She is not negatively affected as far as I can tell.
Mary,

I am not going to rehash this again here - only will say that each Demo runs their business differently - and customers would not be negatively affected by finding out most of the info that is leaked here a day or two later. Just my opinion obviously and I meant no offense whatsoever to customers. I love my customers and in fact ALL SU customers - they rock and they keep us in business!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:40 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonTigg
rubber snuggles back at ya!

OMG!!! I just love this!

And Kimberly - you so cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:45 PM   #32  
The Digi-Freak

stardust, I'm not a demo, my sister is! ;). I'm glad you rehashed your statement makes more sense now, it's all good in the 'hood!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
And please know that you are entitled to disagree with me.

I have no problems with that.

I just wanted to represent the customer side. That's all. I am sad that Christina feels customers are not important, but that's her business and her issue to deal with in her business.

I am not out to judge or point fingers or preach. I honestly don't have the patience to do that ;)

Kimberly
Kimberly,

This so hurtful! I didn't say customers weren't important, just that when it comes to this topic, and the reason it has caused an uproar - it is a demo-only issue and only a demo could truly understand why they would feel it's inappropriate. Gosh- I am truly surprised by your post. I have tried to be polite in voicing my opinion. Sorry to have offended any customers - I truly did not mean it that way! :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #34  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: In my Happy Place with no one bothering me....I hope!

Wow!! This is getting Way too heavy!! Let's everyone take a deep breath and remember... there is stamping to be done!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:47 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
stardust, I'm not a demo. I'm glad you rehashed your statement makes more sense now.
Okay, I was confused by a PM I received from your sister. Thought it was from you - and she made a point about being a demo. Ack! Now I've got it. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #36  
The Digi-Freak

I just want to reiterate, stardust, that while I disagree with what you said (and yes, I've been a demo before), I am not upset with you. And I totally am glad you rephrased your comment.

OKay? No hard feelings. Only love.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Cool Info is Good preferably sooner than Later

My Demo tells us all the stuff that is coming out new so that we can prepare and that has helped my mom out majorly since she has just became a demo because she knew when the best time was to become one. Our demo told us about the 50% of stamps before hand and that helped out big time by helping us save money off that and being able to order something else. I think it is a great idea to share info and to help people better prepare for their purchases. As a demo a person is suppose to be helpful and guide thier clients to the best route so that they are satisfied and keep buying. If a person knows what coming up then they get excited and anticipate things and save their money for the great new product. So keep on sharing what you know cause that is what this site is all about, being helpful!!!
JESSI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up

I have never posted before but I feel the need to be heard. I found out about the paper color changes last week on this website. It was perfect timing, my demo was to host a stamp camp on Saturday. I told my friends at work who were going to the stamp camp as well. We discussed and debated how much paper and inks to order to stock up on our favorite colors. Saturday came and we gave the demo time to spring the news on us herself...she didn't, when I asked her why, she said she hadn't planned on mentioning the color change because she didn't have samples of the replacements. It wasn't until she found out how much paper/inks we were all ordering that she told the rest of the group. She even used my list that I got from this website (she didn't bring her copy to the stamp camp).....and she thanked us. I bought over $100. worth of paper and was greatful to be be ordering quickly because when it's gone, it's gone. If it had not been for this site and all the "excited blabbermouths", I would probably have not gotten a real good shot at laying in a supply of my favorite colors...Thank you !!!!!!

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Mama K I think you rock!:cool: I am a demonstrator and I ran to the phone and called all my clients right away and got alot of orders for the retiring colors! CHA CHING! What I want to know is does everyone really think that the employees of SU! who knew before us didn't leak to someone. Come on!
Even if they weren't supposed to I'm sure someone did, it's human nature. I think I need to make friend with someone who works at SU!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 06:22 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I didn't say customers weren't important, just that when it comes to this topic, and the reason it has caused an uproar - it is a demo-only issue and only a demo could truly understand why they would feel it's inappropriate.
Christina,
Don't fret, it looks like things were taken out of context and assumptions were made. I think that it is clear as to the point you were making.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes