Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you cheat?

do you buys stuff from staples or office depot that is basically the same as su stuff, but like 20 times cheaper?

i just got these metal edge tags that were 50 for $6, and they're used for keys (like mechanic garages attach them to your keys when they keep your car). but they're hte same exact thing as the metal edge tags.

i know you don't use these things to do workshops, but for your own stuff, you do only use su stuff, or do you just get whatever is cheap? i mean, aren't these all the same things?

i also got a huge roll of plain white wrapping paper for $4.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 01:16 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I am not a demo, so I cheat whenever I can (please don't flame me for saying that!! LOL!). I buy my white cardstock at Wal-Mart made by Georgia Pacific; my mono-adhesive from Viking Office Products when it's on sale for $1.88 each; VersaMark, StazOn, PearlEx, etc., from my local stamping store, etc., etc. I don't like to take away business from my two demos, but they do the same thing when they need to. The fact that I have to wait 10 or more days to receive my order, plus pay 10% shipping kills me, so if I can get the same thing for less money elsewhere I will. Exclusive SU! products can't be beat ... I have all the Classic ink pads, paper, markers, pastels, watercolor pencils and over 100 stamp sets. SU! accessories are top notch, but if I can save a little $ on the other things, I will. (This also gives me more $ for stamps!!) Just my $.02.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 01:20 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I do for my own use. For demos I would definitely use only SU where possible.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 01:25 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am finding myself cheating less and less.. I was using the Walmart cardstock by georgia pacific... then one day grabbed a piece of SU ultrasmooth white cardstock and said... wow! What paper is this! I was stunned at the difference. The SU paper works better for watercolor.. does not curl as much! so I am thinking its fun to save a buck here and there and YES I do buy my envelopes at Wallmart.. but some things there is no comparison... even if I don't notice it at first. This was a great eye opener... and the buttons from the store just dont ever match perfect! etc.... mono.. yes buy it from Viking! You'd be nuts not to! Again no flames... I own my own business and run it like I want just like you do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 01:39 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

I used to cheat, but figured that everything I buy from SU goes to my monthly and quarterly totals, so I do it less now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 01:51 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Default Cheating

The only thing I cheat on is mono adhesive. I use too much not to search out a bargain. Everything else I try to stay with Stampin' Up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

The only I cheat on is Mono - and only when I'm in a pinch. If I'm not using SU products how can I expect my customers to? Compare a sheet of the Ultrasmooth White CS with the stuff from Wal-Mart and you'll find that the SU CS is brighter and feels nicer. Ususally you get what you pay for and any avid SU demo can spot other materials a mile away.

The worst thing is when a customer at a workshop is telling the others not to buy cardstock, ink, etc. because you can get it cheaper elsewhere. Not only is that rude but it puts the demo and hostess in an awkward position.

My biggest pet peeve is demos trying to pass bargain craft store materials off as SU ones. I've thrown out so many swap cards because the demo didn't use SU materials. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 06:39 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I so far have only bought the mono from Viking, and just last weekend I used my 40% off coupon at Michaels to buy the paper crimper. Only because I'm a new demo and want to have everything and it's just cheaper for me that way. I will probably end up buying my Staz-On ink at Hobby Lobby as well when the inks go on sale.
Felicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #9  
Total Quack

I cheat from time-to-time, but not on much. I get cards from Michael's (25 for $5 with envys!) and use them for a base. I prefer to stamp on the US white, but I like to use a cheap base if possible. I also get mono refills there because I don't have to pay for the shipping.

I *love* my SU stuff, though, and I love being a demo.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 06:46 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

i agree that the su stuff is better, and i only use su cardstock and paper, and would never use something that isn't su and try to pass it off as su. but i don't do workshops since i use my su discount just for myself. when i do swaps i only use su stuff if the swap calls for only su products. but for stuff like the metal edge tags, when you remove the paper inside, the metal ring is exactly the same as any other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 07:25 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I cheat all the time!!! However, I am not a demonstrator. I work for the company that supplies Staples, Office Depot, Office Max etc with their office supplies. I work for the wholesale company, therefore I get everything at cost. Gotto love it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 07:30 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Ya know I used to cheat when I first started with SU. I needed to build up my supplies and fast. I wanted it ALL!
But I can tell you know I do not cheat (ok...ok...only on mono :oops: )
My goal is to earn the cruise this year.....the biggest goal I have ever set for myself! :shock: So I know EVERY dollar will get that much closer.
I also noticed at convention alot of the Big Wigs said buy from yourself.
One more reason I have cheated less and less is because it is VERY hard for me to tell my customers to buy it from me, when I don't. I don't like the feeling I get. Like I am deceiving them or being a hypocrite.
PS.... by the way it is also very hard for me to tell my boys to go clean their room when MY room is a mess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 12:21 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I cheat from time to time, but only on products that are not exclusive to SU, like the mono, or paper cutter refills. I don't have alot of extra $, so every bit I save is more I can spend on the good stamps and paper from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 12:28 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

I cheat on the mono too...like crazy I do! HOWEVER, have any of you thought about what to do now that SU has changed to that "SNAIL" stuff? I'm willing to bet that it's exactly the same thing, but of course in black with SU logos...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 12:37 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, call me a snob - but I like beautiful high quality cards. So I only use the SU stuff.

Aloha,
Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 02:02 AM   #16  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I only use SU cardstock. They have the best quality cardstock hands down. I usually only by my mono from Viking of course, and some fibers here and there. SU just dont' have a wide variety of the neat fibers out there. I usually see what I can get for "supplies" in the local craft stores, but I have all the SU ink pads new and old style, and like to keep my $$$ to buy all the great stamp sets with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 02:52 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a demonstrator nor would I ever want to be. There are just too many limitations. :( I would hate to have to get rid of all my retired stamps, for example, because I love to find ways to combine the new and the old.
I buy tons of non SU! stuff, and I think you'd have to agree that my cards aren't poor quality! Having said that, I do buy all my cardstock, regular EP, ink pads that are exclusive to SU!, and, of course, stamps from SU!. I do, however, have many non SU! greeting stamps, because I hate to buy a set when I know I won't use half the stamps in it.
As far as embellishments go, they could put me in the poorhouse if I didn't buy them elsewhere, and it would limit my creativity if I stuck with SU! for those. I have an un-written rule that I won't pay more than 30 or 40 cents for an embellishment, and there are many items out there that qualify, if you look outside the stamping and scrapbooking aisles!
I don't use much fiber, but I could never justify spending so much for so little. The few fibers I have are skeins of unusual yarn that I buy and share with others.
Most of my tools are also non SU! Those things are contracted out to other companies anyway, and just have the SU! logo on them.
This post will probably get me flamed, but I'm just being honest. When all is said and done, I do spend a small fortune on SU! stuff. Just ask my demonstrator! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 02:54 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Hanging head in shame..........

Yes, I cheat! Except on the cardstock. You just cannot beat SU's cardstock!

NY Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:06 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

As far a cheating....I have been buying scrapbooking and stamping supplies for over 10 years. I have way more supplies other than SU products.

I just recently signed up to be a Demo since there are no craft stores over here in Sicily. I love SU's cardstock and inks. Also the tags that SU sells don't have holes in them and I really like that. You can put the hole anywhere you want if you need a hole in your tag. But if you are taking the paper out of it then it wouldn't matter.

No flaming here! Buy what ever makes you happy. It is a great idea for Demos to buy SU exclusively if they are trying to increase their sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:31 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I try not to cheat, but as a new demonstrator with little money and supplies, I have to when I can! I agree that SU cs is the best! I used to buy other brands, but once I started using SU's I don't like to use anything else. I am a hobby demo so sales don't really matter to me at this time, I buy what I have to to keep me active!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:35 AM   #21  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will see me in the Micheal's aisles getting things SU does not sell, like little baskets or glass marbles, etc. But as for SU items, I cheat on Mono only. I've tried lots of other items/brands before I became a demo, and honestly the quality has no comparison. There are so many cool ideas out there, and sometimes I look at things just to get ideas and then make them at home with SU items.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 03:48 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default cheating

I cheat only on Mono. And the new Snail adhesive is exactly the same but put into the black with SU on it. I buy my refills from Viking since I don't like glue sticks at workshops (or anywhere else for that matter) Mono is the only way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 04:15 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

As a customer, I cheated ALL THE TIME. On everything - ink, cardstock, mono, EP, eyelets, etc. Then I noticed my cards didn't look as nice as my demo's cards. Turned out it was nearly impossible to match cardstock and inks to get the same effect while using different companies. So I started using SU cardstock and bought a set of inks. Then I was HOOKED - once I saw how easy it was. I still cheated on white, until I noticed the difference between the cheap white and SU! Ultrasmooth White. Now that I'm a demo, if SU! sells it, that is where I buy it. I get a discount and the discount goes up based on sales, so I am my own BEST CUSTOMER. I will admit to having cheated in a pinch though. On blade refills or pop dots - stuff that customers wouldn't catch on to. And I do buy items I want that SU! doesn't carry - like my postage stamp scissors - I love those for faux postage! I just leave it out of my workshops. I had most of the tools before becoming a demo, but now I'm on the fence about getting the new toolkit. I have just about all of that stuff but it would be so cool to whip that kit out at a workshop...I'm thinking I will get it if my commission is good on this next workshop I do. I had to buy a bunch of the new sets first - that was my priority - LOL!!

As for retired sets - I'm in my 2nd year as a demo and so far haven't gotten rid of anything!! YIKES!! I did sort them out and have a whole storage tub of ones I can live w/out so will probably sell. I allowed myself one shelf in my room of retired sets that I want for my own personal use. These are mainly ones for scrapbooking for the kids.

HTH! Good topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 04:32 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

So ... like ... when you become a demonstrator ... do you have to sign some kind of agreement that you will not mix other vendor's art supplies with Stampin Up?

I understand the reason why as a salesman you want your customers to buy only Stampin Up products ... but are some of your customers your friends? If they are ... do you not tell them that they can buy the EXACT same thing at the local craft store for 40-50% less than what SU sells it for? For some people this type of info will let them afford to buy another stamp set or another color family of paper and ink ... that they would not be able to if they bought exclusively from SU. For other people, they would still buy the product from you ... because they want their "party" sales to be at the next level to get that one stamp set they have been drooling over ... or there lives are too busy to run to the local store.

I really love this site ... what I love is the creativity that is oozing from every page in the gallery and the willingness for anyone and everyone to answer your questions about a technique.

However, some of the comments made by demonstrators on this site are rather insensitive. I have to giggle though ... because the community on this website is growing so large ... that there is a very good chance that one of your customers is going to read one of your comments and not buy product from you again. Luckily, there are thousands of other demonstrators willing and ready to take those orders at any given time. I am not one of them ... as I am just a SU customer who has purchased over 100 stamp sets and a couple of large trees worth of paper in the last 2 years.

I guess there is no way that this post does not flame someone ... but my intention is for everyone to think about what they are saying on this site ... you just never know who may be reading your words .....

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 04:40 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

I only cheat on Mono because of the time frame they can get it to me and silver small brads in a pinch. The rest I buy faithfully from SU. I figure there's no way I'll make the cruise, so I'm not hurting my business by buying my mono from Viking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 04:47 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Keagle, what you said expresses my sentiments exactly. While I agree that a huge amount of SU product is far superior to what's available in craft stores, etc..., (cs & matching inks), I cannot believe that any demo would expect a buying customer to purchase some of the embellishments & supplies that are not exclusive to SU from them when, with a little careful comparison shopping, the EXACT item can be purchased for much less elsewhere. I appreciate my demo *so much* because in the very first workshop that I attended, she just happened to mention that she would never encourage any of us to purchase a particular item because she knew that it could be purchased elsewhere for less $$$.

~~ today. . . ~~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 05:16 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default It isn't called cheating if you aren't a demo!

Well, my 2 cent's worth - I am no longer a demo (now I'm coming "out of the closet" because few people know I recently resigned), in part, because of the restrictions to SU only products. I LOVE our stamps, inks and cardstock, and definitely prefer them. I have demo friends who refused to even try H20s because it wasn't a SU product. G'me a break. They are wonderful!

All my friends and customers buy from multiple sources. They buy cutting tools/punches from CM (which are truly superior to the Coluzzle, in my opinion). They buy from Club Scrap, 2peas and multiple other sources. They are online saavy and do not like to pay tax, shipping and handling. In NY that can make a substantial difference in price! When SU branched off into scrapbooking, they were behind the times and couldn't adapt their product line to meet the fickle trends of the online buyers of scrapbooking materials.

I wanted to sell stamps. That is what I demo'd and that is what I sold. I didn't push the inferior Fiskars cutter that people could buy with a 40-50% off coupon elsewhere, or the mono refills that Viking has on sale for $1.88 each with no tax, s/h either! I encouraged sale of SU products in which SU clearly is above the pack - our stamps, ink and paper.

Now I sell my cards and make more than I ever did as a demo - and I'm enjoying myself more! I just love to stamp, but hated schlepping stuff around. I'm too old and lazy and just wanted to focus on my own creations. I'm happier for it, too! Why should I feel guilty about using non SU products? If they contribute to my pursuit of a creative card, I'm going to use them without guilt!

All my best,

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 05:50 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Keagle, you said it all. I'm not a demo, as I have mentioned numerous times before, but if I can save on the s/h of an SU item(s) and purchase the same exact item like the crimper, brayers, VersaMark, Spectrum pads, and many more items, then I will do it. Mainly so I can use what I have saved toward stamps from SU. I do buy all of my paper, ink pads and markers through SU because they are the best and you can't find colors at any store to match SU cs. I just think that if I am going to pay $7.50 for VersaMark, I don't want to have to pay the s/h of $3.95 (yes I have a demo who doesn't do workshops. I also have a second demo who does do workshops and when I purchase from her, I get the most for my money. Oh well, enough said. On to reading more and stamping a lot more.

My .02 worth.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 05:51 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I used to "cheat" quite a bit, buying sponges, mono, daubers, eyelets etc... from other places.Then I decided I wanted to start earning the cruise and my upline told me the first thing is to buy from yourself. It isn't about money, it is about committing to my business. If I was an exec at Walmart would I jog over to Kmart just to save a few bucks?Nope, and I won't either. As others have pointed out, this is a choice on my part, and a controversial one. Everyone has to make the choice for themselves, and the beauty of it is, it is our business and WE CAN.

I wanted to clear up something. SU doesn't have any rules that state you must use all SU products as a demonstrator, although it would look kind of ridiculous if we are touting how great our inks are and we pull out and use Brand X at a workshop. You can definitely stamp with whatever you want to use, there are no SU police checking in looking for contraband.

There are a lot of beautiful stamping and scrapbooking supplies out there, and although I think SU is the best (bear with me, I am a little biased!) I freely admit that we aren't the only show in town and fully acknowledge that to customers. If you treat your customers first as friends, you will be honest with them and they will respect you for it. When people ask, I will truthfully tell them that this particular item can be purchased cheaper elsewhere. I tell them the pros and cons of purchasing it somewhere else(loss of hostess benefits, incentives I offer, having to go purchase it, vs the cost savings) and then I let them make the decision as to what they would prefer to do.

I as a demonstrator now choose to be loyal to my business, and it has paid off for me, I am doing a heck of a lot better than I was when I was out "bargain" shopping and the mental shift in committing to my business has made the difference.

Stepping away from the soapbox now... :lol:
Milette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 05:51 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default As a new demo...

I was taken aback a little bit when reading some of these comments. It seems like there was a harshness to some of the posts when referring to Demos "expect[ing] a buying customer to purchase some of the embellishments & supplies that are not exclusive." I can only speak for myself, but I don't "expect" a customer to buy ANYTHING from me. Of course, I HOPE they will buy lots!

IMHO, SU carries a lot of supplies as a "convenience" if you will. Not all communities have a local SB or craft store right around the corner. (Where I live, it seems like we have one on EVERY corner, but I digress!) When I am presenting a workshop, I am selling the "interest and excitement of stamping" and along with that comes the ingredients and tools necessary to do that. SU! has incredibly high-quality products - stamps, cardstock, papers, inks, etc. not to mention that ease of using the 48 color system. All the extra goodies are there if ppl want them or need them, and if they prefer to go to M*'s - I get that. I'm sure many ppl can tell you stories about giving a workshop and then finding out the attendees learned the new technique and then went to buy the supplies elsewhere. Fair?

Now, as a demo, I'm not going to spend my workshops sending ppl to M*'s for products we sell. I'm also not offended if someone at a workshop mentions it, it just won't be me. (Good friends are different, and yes, I would tell them.) If someone ASKS ME about buying from M*'s, I will give them my opinion, based on the product they are asking about, ie - cardstock - no ; paper trimmer - yes. There is a fine line between volunteering helpful information and harming your business. Each Demo has to draw that line for themselves, I guess. I think what bothered me the most is the attitude that you think a Demo is somehow being unfair or dishonest by not telling you about all the deals you *might* get at other places. I don't think that is a fair analysis. Does McDonald's tell you that Wendy's sells their chicken nuggets for only 99 cents? :lol:

I think most Demos try to look out for their customers' interests and we wouldn't have chosen this business if we didn't want to help ppl stamp!

Thanks for listening!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 06:08 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by keagle
but my intention is for everyone to think about what they are saying on this site ... you just never know who may be reading your words ....Kimberly
Well said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Stardust -
I promise that I did not intend to flame. I respect that you are in business to make money. Of course, I would never expect you to pull out the sales paper at a workshop to let me know what is on sale. But ... if I am on a tight budget ... and I am really debating between a $19.95 crimper and a $19.95 stamp set ... well IMHO - it would be better to encourage me to get the $19.95 stamp set .. cause it will need more accessories than the crimper.

I have bought some of the SU accessories to boost my party sales, so that I can get a hostess stamp set. I am a stamp collector ... wouldn't you be happy if I purchased 100 stamp sets from you in the last 2 years? I "think" I have helped my demo(friend) boost her sales over the last year as well. I encourage anyone and everyone in business for themselves to succeed - it is the American dream.

I just take offense by some of the comments that I might be using some inferior products because they are not SU. I have every classic ink pad, marker and paper that SU carries. I love their products ... but I also love products they don't carry: Versamagic chalk inks, H20 Twinklers, Bazille (sp?) textured card stock, Aqua brushes even before SU sold them, etc.

Wish I had not posted now ...

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 06:16 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

I am a very loyal SU customer. But I do cheat on embellishments. MM has alot of cool things. I also love PP. Love going to Arch. or M's and scooping up all different kinds. I'm open to new things. I'm a supply, technique and stamp junkie so I would never limit myself to one company! :lol:
Old 08-18-2004, 06:16 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

I have never ever cheated! Before I became a demo I had never heard of SU or any other company like it. I never even thought about making my own cards and so when I was forced to go to that party, and fell in love with it-I fell hard! I have never bought anything or used anything other than Stampin Up for the year I have been in it. I saw a really cute cute stamp set that I need for back to school scrapbook pages in the CTMH that one of MY customers had on her desk here at work, but I refused to buy it. It felt really strange even looking in their catalog. Cute as it was, I could never cheat on my SU...its almost like another husband...ok, well, not that close, but you know...

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 06:27 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had several expereinces where a customer buys from me somthing that even they know they could get at a craft store. Why: because they don't have the TIME to go there or can't get there without the kids (and shopping with kids is awful) & because they know I will show them how to use it if they need help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 06:31 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I cheated BIG on mono from viking. I know a demo who would use that for customer orders as well, but I nkow I couldn't do that. I have also cheated on ribbon. I love patterned ribbons, and found a great online source (reasonableribbon.com). My biggest disappointment with SU is the wait to get the goodies. Sometimes I really need instant gratification! But I have to agree that true SU exclusives and color matching are second to none.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 06:39 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

keagle wrote:
Quote:

I am a stamp collector ... wouldn't you be happy if I purchased 100 stamp sets from you in the last 2 years?
Hey, keagle, PLEASE, PLEASE move up here and be MY neighbour and BEST friend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes, I cannot afford to buy non-exclusive SU! items such as mono from SU!, even if it DOES effect my bottom line as a demo. $1.99-$2.99CAD (Office Depot) vs $6.87CAD is TOO BIG a difference to ignore. While I don't tell my customers of the specials other companies may have on, I DO tell them to closely check the prices of the non-exclusive SU! items with the local market. Mostly, I don't have to say anything because they already know BECAUSE they are used to buying via local stores and NOT catalogue sales. (SU! moved into Canada in Apr 2002.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Default depends on what it is.....

Card stock, inks, stamps etc - SU all the way!

I used to use the GA Pacific paper until - like someone else said - I pulled a piece of "the good stuff" and WOW! Will never go back!

deco scissors - I cheat. My cutter is a Fiskar and my Heat tool is a Marvy - gotta love Michael's coupons! My mono - I buy on sale when ever I can. My PearlX is also from a local craft store.

My "bone folder" is actually one of those little brown scraper from Pampered chef!!! (Package of 3 for 1.25!! or something like that!)

My Brads - I started using them b/f SU carried them - I saw them in a magazine and couldn't find them locally so I actually called the shop in KANSAS and phone ordered them! so those are also counterfeit!

I am not a demo - so for me - I cheat as I don't HAVE to be a purist. BUt I have to say - when it somes to C/S,embossing powder, stamps and inks - I'm an SU snob!

Smiles

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 06:52 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

I like what Stardust had to say:

Quote:

I think most Demos try to look out for their customers' interests and we wouldn't have chosen this business if we didn't want to help ppl stamp!
I truly enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Bottom line: Do what feels right to YOU!! No one is looking over your shoulder and telling you what to do.

With that said, HAPPY STAMPING!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 07:25 AM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Kimberly,
I'm glad you posted! I, too, take offense when I hear people say that the products I'm using are "inferior"! I certainly don't think the cards I turn out with these materials are inferior, and neither do the people who buy them from me! I enjoy the creativity involved with stamping and try to keep the costs of my cards low so that I can sell more, and, therefore, make more!
I appreciate a demonstrator being honest about the products they sell. I wouldn't expect them to tell me about deals elsewhere, but I'm glad when they do! Mine knows that I spend a lot of money with her and send a lot of business her way, so I don't think she's offended that I buy from other sources. (Hi, J.B.!)
Reply With Quote Likes