Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-16-2004, 04:08 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 80's girls out there?

Talking about retro has been cracking me up. I know the discussion on another thread was geared toward the 50's, but thinking of the 80's as retro makes me chuckle to myself. Talk about feeling old. So, for all you girls that remember the 80's as 'your era'...what do you remember the most from the 80's?

I graduated from high school in 1987...so the 80's were significant to me.

Duran Duran and Wham (when we really weren't sure what gay meant and had no clue that George Michael fit into that category!). Had posters all over my walls and a lifesize poster of John Taylor on my ceiling above my bed!

Stirrup pants, long sweaters (preferrably neon colors...I had lots of neon pink!)

Earrings that were so big they practically ripped your ears off...tall hair and spiral perms.

Guess jeans and Hang Ten...Bonnie Bell lip smackers

Vally Girl talk...Like, totally (did that ever go out of style? or is it just coming back again!)

geeze...I could go on and on.

What do you remember most?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I remember the long sweaters that you put a belt around and then poofed the sweater over the belt! I remember pinning my jeans to taper them. Defenintley the BIG hair! I loved New Kids on the Block! Ahhh! I had a 1000 posters on my walls and ceiling! Friendship pins on your sneakers, long beaded necklaces, lots of bracelets. I'm sure there is lots more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I graduated in '83 and the following stand out: Baggy Jeans, MTV when it played music videos ALL the time, Ronald Reagan in the White House, Preppy clothes (Izod, Jazz shoes, Button down oxfords), Adam Ant. Skirts down to your ankles, Gauchos (if you have to ask, you don't need to know ), Puffy shirts, Clogs, REO Speedwagon. Oh boy, I'm getting nostalgic. LOL! I just went back for my 20 year reunion last year and it was so much fun seeing everyone all grown up (and out! - including me!).

What's so sad is that we didn't realize that we should take the time to enjoy it all because life passes by way too quickly. I just wish I hadn't stood by the sidelines and watched so much. If only I had the guts and knowledge then that I do now! Deeeep sigh...

Terri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't graduate until 1992, so most of my childhood was in the '80's.
So what were some of your favorite TV shows? Mine were probably Little House on the Prairie, Full House, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Growing Pains.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I loved the eighties. I graduated in 89' and love most of the eighties music. Thank goodness we have an all 80's station here.

I remember feathered hair and leg warmers. I used to wear a belt around my waist, on the outside of a sweater! Jeans jackets were popular. I remember when I absolutely loved Michael Jackson but now I can't stand him (he is just too weird now).

I am sure there is lot more. I can't wait to see what everyone else remembers :lol:

Stacy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:37 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Default I loved the 80's

oh my! all your posts are bringing back memories. I loved the 80's!!!!
Duran Duran, Wham, Tears For Fears was my favorite. Go go's, The Cure. Preppy style clothing was in when i was in jr high, pink and green, and argyle socks. Most of the clothing really makes me laugh though, when i think back. Big sweaters with tight pants, leg warmers. LOL!!!

Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:39 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Default I loved the 80's

oh my! all your posts are bringing back memories. I loved the 80's!!!!
Duran Duran, Wham, Tears For Fears was my favorite. Go go's, The Cure. Preppy style clothing was in when i was in jr high, pink and green, and argyle socks. Most of the clothing really makes me laugh though, when i think back. Big sweaters with tight pants, leg warmers. LOL!!!

Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, I loved Family Ties. It was set in my hometown and we used to call my brother Alex P. because he acted just like him I used to love Amazing Stories on Sunday nights too, and of course, the Cosby Show. Our Cable station has an all 80's music channel here and it's so much fun listening to it, even my kids know a lot of the words!

T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Do you love my new avatar??? SOOO 80's.....I have this album!

Sonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default 80's girl and new!

I am new to the group but also a die hard 80's lover! Graduated in 1991 and miss the music most. I listen to it all the time...

Glad to see I am not the only one!

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Who remembers parachute pants!??!!??!?!

I had several colors!!!!!! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Class of '91 here. LOVED the 80s, especially the music, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, The GoGos, Wham! Broken hearted when I found out George Michael was gay. :( I still listen to 80s music. I remember jelly bracelets being very popular and now my daughters are wearing them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:51 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

ohh yes the mc hammer pants, i had polka dot ones :oops:

men w/o hats.
the t shirts that changed color w/ temperature
plastic neon bracelets
jelly shoes!
putting up hair your hair in a ponytail......on the SIDE of your head :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I graduated in 1986 and I remember Miami Vice and Members Only jackets. I remember those baggy long sweaters and leggings. Boy, some days I still wish those were "in". I remember Milli Vanilli and Tears for Fears. WHAM was so "hot" - goodness if we only knew! I remember the day MTV started and that group singing "I want my MTV". Duran Duran, too. I remember when Michael Jackson was making headlines for a totally different reason! Oh, the good ol' days!!!!!

But you know, I wouldn't go back. I'm so happy being 30 something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Does anyone watch I Love the 80s on VH-1??? Memories...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I LOVE the 80s!

I haven't heard anything about tight-rolled jeans! That was a MUST in my middle school in the 80's

Culture Club, the Bangles, Wham, New Kids. . . . . ahhhhhh so good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Class of '83 reporting in!!

Duran Duran (The Reflex!!), Adam Ant, Devo, Thomas Dolby! The Cure... I remember thinking they were pretty outlandish!! LOL... Oh, I could go on and on music wise. I agree....Michael Jackson was actually good back then.....but back then he was still Michael, not La Toya! ;) IMHO, that is......

Friendship pins...I remember those! Leg warmers...I hope to forget that one day! Big wide belts that hung down one SIDE of your hip...bulky sweater pulled up and "poofed" like our hair! Big Bar Hair we called it! Gauchos? I still have nightmares about those!! :shock:

And neon? Pink it was for me......my best friend was a dayglo green kinda girl. Down to the lace fingerless gloves, ladies! Oh yes! Face facts! We were fashion disasters, we were. Oh, but we were so so TRENDY, weren't we?!

Earrings? Oh yes, I was the queen. Got my ears pierced in Grade 11, first weekend (significance - JoyofStamping understands, don't you Joy?!) and proceeded to wear the dangly-est, brightest things I could find...until Friday night! ;) At one point I had toilet bowl earrings.....and the next set of holes had rolls of toilet paper!! I am not kidding here!! My GF's used to laugh because you just never knew what I'd have on next!

Spiral perms or feathered hair. First one, then the other....LOL And if it was permed.......it was as poofy as you could get it....back combed too! I got married in '89. One GF has noted that my wedding will be emblazoned forever in her memory as we, all 4 of us, had the permed, poofed hair......only mine looks different because of the danged veil and they french braided it that day! Oh...and our wedding color? Fuschia!! (Which is the '89 translation for '83s neon pink!!) One wedding gift was pink flamingo lawn ornaments...LOL

OK I had better stop. More will come to me and I'll torture you then!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I graduated high school in '86.

Madonna. In her 'borderline' phase before the 'material girl' phase hit.

My first Coach bag. Ray Ban sunglasses. Top Gun. Dating a guy because he looked like Nick Rhodes and wore eye makeup too!

MTV, Paul Young. Duran Duran's Girls on Film Xrated version. Rio. 7& the ragged tiger (buying red gloves because John Taylor had a pair!).

I lived in NE Florida at the time - I practically lived at the beach with a perpetual tan. Saltwater = no pimples. I had better skin back then!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie S
Does anyone watch I Love the 80s on VH-1??? Memories...
OMG, I love that so much, I drop whatever I'm doing when it's on and submerse myself in the nostalgia. (I really love the celebrities and their witty comments too! Hal Sparks can have tears in my eyes from laughing!

BTW, I was class of 1989!
And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:07 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

What about the Coke and Pepsi Logo shirts that seemed to be all the rage?? How about when Reebok tennis shoes first came out? Yikes....reading some of these post brings back many a fashion nightmare!

Jana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:07 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I graduated in 1988

I remember parachute pants....leg warmers, Z Cavaricci (sp) pants, Corniche jeans, and jeans had to have "tight" bottoms....heaven forbid, you wore bell bottoms!! Sweatshirts/T-shirts that had your name ironed on (I used to go to flea market every Saturday and buy a new one)...I had WAY too many of those. Big hair, and big earrings....wigwam socks...they were really heavy, and you got to "scrunch" them down...very colorful if I remember. I also remember wearing sweaters from Benetton...they had a big "B" on the front.

Wow, I am reliving those days...I am sure I will think of more.....

<waving to all the 80's girls!!!!>

Thanks for the memories.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

My cable company has DMX music, TONS of stations. I always have the 80s one on when I clean house or stamp. I want to get it for the car too, no commercials!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I graduated in 1990 and one of my favorite things from back then was Saturday Night Live...the skits were so hilarious back then. I loved Tom Hanks doing Short Term Memory guy, and Dana Carvey. What really cracks me up is that I reminisce about this stuff, and my husband looks at me funny....he graduated in 1996!

I was really into the music, especially alternative...I listened to the Ramones and the S*x Pistols (am I allowed to say that?), the damned, the Smiths...ah, the good ole days! I am so happy now because I have XM satellite radio...I can listen to the 80's channel if I need a dose!

Oh, and I loved Devo and Talking HEads!!! MTV just isn't the same anymore! (but I love VH1) Oh my gosh! I'm in a new demographic! It can't be! Am I getting OLD??????

I love Hal Sparks too...my gosh he is funny! Another great show is "where are they now?" They had one on the other night that was all about the Brat Pack! I loved Molly Ringwald!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:16 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

OMG! I was in LOVE with John Taylor...my friend loved Simon LeBon (so there was of course no competition there). John Taylor is still really good looking too! I was surprised when I saw and interview with him about 2 years ago!

Girlygirl...Your avatar is from the Rio album, right? Thought it looked familair. "her name was Rio and she dances on the sand..." Girls on film was considered a racey video back then...now it would be on primetime television!

Gauchos! I remember them, but would like to forget them!

I had jelly bracelets (in black and neon pink) all up and down my arms with my black lace headband tied like Madonna did.

Ribbon barrettes ( was that the 70's or 80's?). Dark liquid eyeliner and electric blue mascara. We were fashion disasters back then! I think at one time I actually wore my hair in a side ponytail! How aweful! I also remember chewing Bubbalicious bubblegum and that chewing gum loudly and snapping it was cool.

Growing Pains was one of my favorite shows! I thought Kirk Cameron was so cute!

I could still go on and on and this is my 2nd post on this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I graduated in 94 but I love the 80's!
What about the ID shirts, TAXI pants & shirts, Edwin Jeans.
Madonna, Duran Duran, Journey, double or triple colored socks,
black Madonna bracelets, spiked hair on the front like the shape of a flower, lots of hairspray, polka dot pants, house music with house shiny shoes like MC Hammer. It is too much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:21 PM   #26  
Hot Mess

Default 80's

I was a kid in the 80's but I remember leg warmers!!! I had them in several colors. I also remember BIG bangs with lots of Aqua Net Hairspray. My brother and I listened to Bruce Springsteen and Cindy Lauper. I also had several pais of MC Hammer pants and Jelly shoes!!

Amy "Pro" K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:23 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazygirl

I had jelly bracelets (in black and neon pink) all up and down my arms with my black lace headband tied like Madonna did.

Ribbon barrettes ( was that the 70's or 80's?). Dark liquid eyeliner and electric blue mascara.
I meant to say earlier.........we wore the silver bracelets....about 50 of them.....all the time. Bar Wear for the Big Bar Hair Girls...

And the electric blue mascara? My neighbour still wears it! LOL

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Qcbetty....we weren't allowed to wear the bangel bracelets in school because they made too much noise! I had them though and wore them to dances and basketball games! Dang I was so cool!

I think you should tell your neighbor that she needs toss the blue mascara!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:31 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I know everytime I hear about 80s being retro it makes me feel old at 35. I was a Duranie and had a life sized poster of John Taylor on my wall along with every other hottie of the time, I don't think you could see the wallpaper. I saw them play twice in concert along with David Bowie and remember screaming the entire time. I wore big sweaters with tank tops underneath, huge fake pearl necklaces that you could wrap around your body several times, long shirts over stirrup pants, short pink mini skirts, crop pants, big hair, big plastic earrings in every color, tapered jeans, etc. Lots and lots of neon.

Kari
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:32 PM   #30  
Hot Mess

Default 80's

I also had this necklace that was a plastic chain that had all these charms that clipped on it. It went well with the jelly shoes and the jelly bracelets (forgot about those!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:33 PM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Default WOW Great topic!

I am an 80s girl....nevermind the jelly bracelets how about the jelly shoes. I still love the Hair bands...Poison, Ratt, Bon Jovi, Slaughter....Had big curled bangs....How about favorite 80's movies...Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink are a couple of my favorites!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh yeah I graduated in 1991!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:35 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

The music from the 80's is the best, Journey, Bryan Adams, Madonna...

What about shoulder pads (aahhh!!), I swear there were football players with less padding. Plaid wool skirts and velveteen blazers were popular at my high school.

Pam
'83 graduate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:37 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

What about the big hair bands? Love Poison, Bon Jovi!

I graduated in 88! VH1's Love the 80's is the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:38 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I still watch Pretty in Pink and the Breakfast Club when they are on TV! I rememeber when I was 16 my friends older sister helped sneak us in to see Breakfast Club because it was rated R!

I saw Duran Duran once and Erasure opened for them (before they ever had a it...it was the summer of '87).

I thought the tight bottom jeans was the early 90's...I only remember this because of the guy I was dating and an awkward situation that involved my jeans being rolled up and tight at the bottom :oops: ...that was '92...was I just late in that fad? I'm blushing thinking about this :oops: .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Pretty In Pink!!!!!

Watch it all the time, over and over and over.

Top Gun another hit movie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:41 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Oooohhhh...Top Gun, Tom Cruise. That says it all (drool). :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Class of 91...I remember the 80's like they were yesterday...oh yeah, ask my husbnad, and he would say that I am still in the 80's

Z-Cavarici pants...tightly rolled

Poison!!!!!!!!!LOVED them...what do I mean LOVED, sounds past tense

Aqua Net

Guys that wore more hairspray, and make-up than the girls

Blue eye shadow, and eyeliner

Dirty Dancing....can never get enough of that movie!!

Then you have the toys...Strawberry Shortcake. He-Man, Care Bears

Break Dancing (that was in the 80's right?)...I remember trying to do some of that

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

Well, I didn;t graduate until '94, but I'd still have to consider myself achild of the 80's! I still have a secret (whoops, not anymore!) thing for 80's music!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #40  
Hot Mess

I LOVE Dirty Dancing! And Poison!!!! I saw them last year in fact!! Brett Michaels comes to Omaha a lot. Actually, I love all the hair bands! The rock station here plays hair bands from 8-9pm! Lots of Poison, White Snake, Bon JOvi, etc.

Amy "Pro" K
Reply With Quote Likes