Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2005, 02:50 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Etiquette for someone posting someones stamped ideas?

I know that we copy and steal everything CASE, but I was surprised to see someone had posted what they made at my stamp camp. They were my designs like I had made them for stamp camp. The stamp credits were not given as they were not Stampin' Up! stamps, they were The Angel Company TAC stamps. Not that I need the credit for the design of the cards, that was not given also. If she had taken the idea and stamped her own images I don't think that would have just fine, or if she had asked my permission.

Am I being too sensitive, what is the etiquette for posting things that you have made, but are a copy of what someone has designed?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 03:02 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Nevermind my original post- I'll PM you.
Joy

Last edited by GavynnsMom; 04-20-2005 at 03:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 07:14 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I am sorry you are hurt - but this is my opinion And ONLY my opinion and I am saying it with LOVE and not ill will........

Many of us use the same designed - layouts - whatever you want to call them.

I am thinking in particular to Andrea Sophia's layout challenges -

YEs she give credit to who designed it - but when WE post them we don't always specifically state - lay out inspired by so and so -

I ahve used Michelle Laycocks' fan design fro a swap and YES I included credit for her as her design is copyrighted......

but honestly - I think you should feel flattered - it was not an EXACT duplicate was it - were colors or stamped images changed????

Just my opinion - but it if weren't for all you creative women out here I would NEVER get ink onto paper - my brain jsut doesn't work that way!!!

I hope you can work it out with whomever has caused you stress.

Smiles

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 08:07 AM   #4  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Gwen - just a comment from a mere stamper (I'm not a demo)... when I leave a stamp camp, I am usually SO excited about something I saw there; whether it's the color combination my demo used, the new stamp set, or some other cool thing (like the alphabits we used recently, or the little bunny "rock" we made). I am always tempted to post the cards I've made, not to imply they were my own design, or that I'm some great stamper... but to share my excitement over something new, or different. To give back a little something that I take daily from this site.

I don't know the intent of the individual that posted cards from your stamp camp -- only she knows why she did it -- and didn't mention where they came from. I'd say give her a yell... I would be SO embarrassed if my demo called me on it because I would never post anything with the intent to 'steal' fame. It would be entirely innocent.

Just food for thought!

Last edited by Cat; 04-20-2005 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 08:19 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Personal opinion, if you make it, you can post it. If a stamper pays to come to a stamp camp and makes a card, they have the right to post it. They paid for it, they did the work, they own it.

But that's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

She should have posted something like "inspired by ..." but since she didn't, that's the way it goes.

How would you feel if (this happend to my friend): She teaches a class every month, had a person come, brand-new stamper. She made the projects, came for a few months and then stopped all of a sudden. They ran into each other a few months later. My friend saw her in her workout gear and mentioned that she had heard that she had started teaching (my friend assumed that she was teaching a yoga class) and the woman got all flustered and started explaining herself...like yeah, the stamping classes are going great...my friend couldn't figure out what she was talking about until later that day, she was mentioning to someone else that knows this woman that she had seen her etc...THAT lady said oh yeah, she's teaching YOUR CARDS at the (local stamping/scrapping store) that's why she got all embarrassed...ya think?
Walnut Creek, California
email: [email protected]

Know someone who is buying or selling real estate? Relocating to the Bay Area? Let me know, I LOVE referrals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 09:49 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

I�m of the firm mind set that we don�t own our ideas and if we teach our ideas, others should pass them on. Imagine if you will that no one could pass along the knowledge learned in school. Where would the world be?

I don�t think any idea is �original� it�s all got an aspect of some other card. Should no one layer because someone else did it first? SU�s motto is: To love what we do and share what we love, as we help others enjoy creativity and worthwhile accomplishments�..in this we make a difference.� If you are going to teach, expect what you teach to be passed along. You can�t blame one woman for getting a job that the first woman could have gotten if she tried.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wink

Actually I think CASE stands for Copy and share everything - not steal.

Maybe you should post your cards just before your camp so you can be the first.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kzimbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

When I post cards, I try to give credit to the person or magazine who inspired the idea if it was not mine. I would not be inclined to post something that I did at a stamp camp without changing something significant. I would hope that the person who posted the cards at the very least mentioned that she made the cards at stamp camp. However, I would hestitate to say that she couldn't post the cards at all. The librarian in me thinks that it is always best to give the source or origin of the idea if it all possible.

If I did see an exact copy of a card I made without giving credit, I have to admit I might be a little bit upset, but I'm not sure I would pursue it beyond venting to my friends.

Just my 2 cents.
Take care, Brenda

Last edited by Qbee; 04-20-2005 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 04:09 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default ideas

I have just recently started uploading my cards. So I have a hard time remembering which ones are my idea solely and which ones I got inspiration for. Then there are the ones I just copied=). I have started marking the new ones I make so I will remember for future reference. I would never want to offend.
If you give credit to others people will notice and do the same. I think it is a nice gesture. If they don't oh well! They at least liked your card well enough to make it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Thanks for all your input. I was just curious. I didn't want credit, I really don't need that. Sometimes I also copy things, but we all usually tweek things to our liking. I haven't posted anything, I need to work on that.

I had never heard that CASE meant copy and share everything, every time I heard it, it was steal. I guess you learn something new every day!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 05:21 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

From a newbie's standpoint:

I wholeheartedly agree with the lady who talked about the excitement in learning new things. I'm new at this too, and VERY excited about what I'm taking in each day I come to this forum and discuss locally with my stamping friends. I haven't even signed up yet, but I will before the month's end, and when I do I look forward to learning more, and bettering what I learn. And ultimately paying it forward. I think this mindset completely fits the SU policy which someone was so kind to reiterate here. Hopefully I'm inspired enough to come up with my original designs someday, but in the meantime I think this forum and ones like it are meant to share. If not folks would not be so inclined to upload their creations.

Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

When someone gives you something, do you ever fail to say "Thank you!" ? That's the way I feel about ideas I've been "given" by another stamper. Giving credit is my "thank you" to the designer whose work inspired me. It's just common courtesy, something, I'm sorry to say, is in short supply in today's world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 07:16 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

As someone who loves to case, I believe if your are making cards and passing them on to friends, gifts, etc giving individual credit may not have the right oppurtunity to be shared or told. But to post something identical that originally is not yours, to me that's saying "Look I made this".. This is only my opinion whether right or wrong, I think credit should be given on a post. I always tell people I'm not that creative, and I do copy alot when my cards are recieved as gifts. But then sometimes I suprise myself and come up with something really nice. I'm rambling. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 07:27 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

As a frequent 'stamp-camper', I believe that the cards made at the stamp camp, if uploaded, should definately be credited to the person who held the camp. We may tweak the card a little bit, but most people do it exactly as the person designed it. Because it is so similar, it would be like taking that persons card and uploading as our own creation. Those demos spend alot of time preparing for those camps, and it only takes a second for us to write in the description, so give credit where credit is due!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #16  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a weird thought.

On one card-posting group I subscribe to, I frequently see, "Inspired by SCS."

That's it, no name or anything. Well, there about a million people on SCS. I mean, isn't that kind of silly? I think maybe people do it just because there have been a few times when people here got real ticked off at what they perceived as someone stealing their card. They see it as a CYA thing. (Cover Your A**.)

But as has been said, if YOU make the card, it becomes yours. I personally don't bother to credit anyone UNLESS I COPY EVERYTHING EXACTLY. In that case, I'm looking at the card long enough to get the name. Most of the time, ideas come in and out of my brain, and I may or may not at some later point spit out something that just might resemble something by someone else!

Whew!!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Maybe it's just because I'm one of those people that are creativity-challenged (meaning that I can re-create almost anything, but can't come up with a decent design myself!) and am always CASE'ing, but I just never really gave much thought to the need to "give credit" other than maybe just saying "I copied it." I guess I just always figured that the reason people posted their creations here were to share them. If I made something at a stamp camp or somewhere & was excited about it, I'd probably want to share it here, too, and I doubt I'd even think to add "I copied it"....not because I wanted people to think it was my own design, but just to share it. Of course, I wouldn't lie by failing to correct someone if they commented on how creative I was, or whatever. I'd tell them where I got the idea (though I'd probably still say "stamp camp" rather than give my demos name). When I see a card that really grabs me, I never even consider who originally designed it...I'm wow'ing over how much effort the poster put into it & how great of a job they did on it. If I had to give credit, by name, every time I re-created something, I just wouldn't even bother stamping at all. I couldn't do it!

Leslie
Click here for the scoop!
My itty bitty GALLERY. Comment, please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 11:12 PM   #18  

I hear ya, Leslie. When I first started using the internet relating to stamping, it was to see and copy other cards!!! People would post the recipe so you knew exactly what to do! LOL That's where I'm coming from.

If you decide you are creating artwork that you don't want copied without being cited, then don't post it here or put it out into the internet.

If you enter it into a contest, don't post the scan til after you win or lose. LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 11:43 PM   #19  

I think if you come home and want to post the card YOU made at stamp camp, you might mention you made it at stamp camp, isn't it cute? You really don't know where your demo might have got the idea, so maybe assigning her name to it isn't right either. But at this point, you did make the card. So if your name is attached to it, by default, at least you did physically make that card.

I do not assume that every card in the galleries was that person's original idea. I just assume that THEY made that card.

If someone sent me a handmade card THEY made, and if it was so gorgeous I wanted to post it, (assuming I knew she hadn't!), THEN I would definitely say that my friend had made it and given it to me. But if I copied that card the next day, the new card would be mine.

That's the essence of the difference, to me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2005, 04:19 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzimbie
Actually I think CASE stands for Copy and share everything - not steal.

Maybe you should post your cards just before your camp so you can be the first.
Actually it's either. Copy and Steal or Copy and Share.....depends on who you ask and how they were "taught"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2005, 04:52 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Default giving redit...

someone once said, I believe it was Einstein, that genious is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. Hopefully I got that right.

I kind of think that applies here. For a long time when I wanted to make a card, I wouldn't even look at the galleries because I truly wanted a design to be my own. Now, I realize that mostly, others are the "genious" that I use for my 10% inspiration, and I supply the 90% persperation to actually make the card. The poster of the card went through the same process.

Except for some cards in the IB&C and a few from the SS magazine, I don't make cards EXACTLY as posted - just can't, any more than I can make a recipe in the kitchen without adding my own little touches of "creativity." I get the "inspiration" and then make the card "mine" with my own little touches, tweaking this, using a different stamp set (mostly because I don't have the same set the poster used), changing colors, different embellishments, etc.

If I copied a card exactly, I would certainly give credit - just like in a term paper - to avoid plagerism. If I put it "in my own words," then I think I've supplied the persperation and the effort and results are mine.

Sorry to ramble, and I hope it wasn't too confusing.
Pardon the typos, I'm late for class and don't have time to preview!

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2005, 05:58 AM   #22  
PAPER SCAPER

What I think is rather funny is when I run across a card that is just my style that I�ve been doing for years and I think it�s a pretty good idea and then POW there it is on someone�s gallery.
The card I have linked is just such an example.
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
There is no way possible that Kelly copied my design because I have yet to post a gallery anywhere on the Internet and the card I made has not yet been sent to the soldiers site where she does post each card received. But our card style looks so much the same you�d think one of us cased the other.
She used rubber cement where as I used decorative paper, different stamped design going across on the white also and I did not use the jute or any wording on the front. But this style I�ve used with many different stamp designs since I started carding five years ago. Funny how so many human minds can think alike. Oh! Great card Kelly.

I still think that if you show your design to the public or world (internet) to see you must expect it to be copied and in fact I thought that is why we all share our ideas.

She should have mentioned doing it at a stamp camp if you know in fact she was at your camp. Was it your very own idea? I myself don�t usually do a card exactly like I�ve seen it on another source, that�s just me.

I do have one card that I designed and have not shown to anyone other than close friends in hopes that the right contest will come along for me to enter it in. I�ll probably see it somewhere before then!!

Rox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2005, 06:12 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't read all these posts in this thread, but wanted to tell you not to be upset. I'm sure the person that came to your class doesn't know the proper ettiquette (I know I goofed that spelling) of posting something you did elsewhere off someone else's design. She was more than likely very excited about the card she made and wanted to post it. If you are truly upset about this, tell the person if they wish to post something done at your class please give credit where it is due. Personally I wouldn't want to offend and would just smile and take it as a compliment. If it is on here (SCS) post a comment to it and say you loved having her at the class and she did a great job on this card. If it was a Demo, then maybe I would be a bit upset, but if it is just a customer, take it as a compliment!!

BTW, I agree with someone's post about putting your cards up just before your class, that way you'll be the first!!
Reply With Quote Likes