Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink What Model of Xyron should I get?

I'm the type of person who'd rather spend more on something than wishing I had of bought the upgrade instead. So.........

I'm needing to know which Xyron machine I should buy. I know very little about them but I just plain want one. =0

A little bit about me. Besides my boys, my other first love is paper crafting. I don't 12 x 12 scrap but I mostly do things like post it note covers, stamping on tiles, etc. I'm also an SU hobby demo.

Thanks a bunch,

***tina

Last edited by lvlabs; 07-23-2005 at 06:12 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I bought three!! The little "x", the 250, and the 510 so that I would have the right size for whatever project I was working on, and wouldn't waste any adhesive! I got them through joann.com when there was a sale if you bought two or more - so I was better able to justify the splurge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hi Tina!

All I can speak for is my own experience - I own a Xyron 900, and I adore it! You can use 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper in it, which has come in handy for me for laminating and adhering - having that 9" inch width is really nice! I use it for work and play - in addition to crafts, you can do some nice demo business-related things with your Xyron as well! The only downsides are that the bigger the Xyrons are, the pricier they are, and thus, the pricier the refill cartridges. I have to special order the laminate/adhesive combo cartridges (from Joann's, but not such big deal with their coupons!), but other than that, I can find the cartridges in stores.

No matter the size, though, I highly recommend one! Good luck with your purchase!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 150 and the 250 and I plan to get the 510 down the road. If you will mainly be doing small things like cards, I think the 510 would be the way to go. The 510 gives you the option of lamination, making magnets, or adhereing in a permanent or repositional way. I got the 250, because it was a lot cheaper to start out with ($14.99 at Walmart) and with card making you often have things that are smaller than 5" across to adhere. You can not laminitate or make magnets with the 150 and the 250. However, if you put a one inch item through the 510 you will waste a lot of adhesive. I think that's why people end up with so many sizes. I know that Xyrons have been discussed on SCS a lot, so you might also want to do a search for more information.

Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I bought the 510 size because I decided that probably the largest thing I would want laminated/stickered/magnetized would be this width, and I don't have much room to have mutiple copies of the machine! If you think you might want to do larger sized things, I would look into the 900 series and maybe get a 250 down the road, on sale with a coupon for smaller things? Tough choice, though but I am loving mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 02:10 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Maybe this is a dumb question but I use the refills (small and large) all the time but I don't own a machine. What am I missing by not having a machine?

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kzimbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Kzimbie--maybe you are missing the annoyance I've been having. I'm going to try using cartridges without the machine! Thanks for the idea. ;)

Does anyone have tips on how to change the cartridge in a 510 without ruining it?

I got my first set in a special at office depot and it came with 3 cartridges. I put the laminating cart in first and it never ran without wrinkles. I adjusted it several ways and wasted 6 feet of the 13. Stopped and put in the adhesive cartridge. Ran fine until I tried changing to the magnet cart. That worked ok, but I was unable to put the adhesive back in--it's out of synch and I can't get it straight. Major pain in neck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I have the 900 and the 250. Love them both. I'm thinking of getting the refill for the little X without the machine to use for letters on my scrapbook pages. I've heard it's less hassle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 150 and 510 and love them both.

Go Seahawks!
Mom to Daniel (9) and Emily (6)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the 150, the 250, the 500 and the 900 and love them all. I mostly make cards, so the 150, 250, and 500 are the ones I use the most. The 150 is great for little stuff, the 250 is great for medium sized stuff or multiples of little stuff (like five strands of grosgrain ribbon at once!-worked great!!) and the 500 for larger pieces. I got my 900 as a special from shop at home on tv and it's good for big scrapbook size stuff! You can always get the refills at a discount at Mike's or JoAnn's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

OK I have to say I have 5 different one's .... the "X", 250, 500 (I keep repositional in this one), 510 ( I keep permanent in this one), and the 850.
I use them all it just depends on the project. If you just want one I'd say the 510 is the most versatile. Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kzimbie... how do you use Xyron refills without the machine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzimbie
Maybe this is a dumb question but I use the refills (small and large) all the time but I don't own a machine. What am I missing by not having a machine?
I'm thinking of getting the 510, but really wonder if a machine is needed at all. So I'm curious how you are using it. Could you roll it through a die cutting machine like ZipeMate instead?

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Info

Thanks ladies for all fabo input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had a 900 model and all the refills for it.. that thing collected soo much dust nad took up soo much space, I sold it, and bought a 510 and that really satisifies my needs. I primarily bought mine to make magnets, postcards and work on a2 sized cards... so yeah if you are a scrapbooker and want a 12x12 sheet of paper to be altered.. you should look into the 1200. If you just want something to make cutesy stickers and run ribbon thru the X or the 510 might be just what you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a 510 and the X, I really like them both. The X is perfect for little letters, or anything small. It's convenient to bring places as well. The 510 is good for anything bigger. And you can use the laminate, magnet, permanent and repositionable in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Xyron

I have the 150, 510 and 900 - all purchased when JoAnns runs their 50% off Xyron machines sale (seems like they do it twice a year at least) - I love them all.
The 900 can laminate a 8�x11 sheet of paper (adhesive and magnet, too if you want) and this is what I use it for the most.
I use the 510 for making sticky sheets for serendipity squares and the all for making small things sticky for cards, etc.

I agree that the 510 is probably the most versatile for the $.

I have never had any trouble changing the cartridges at all.

A very fun tool!
Reply With Quote Likes