Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-14-2004, 07:05 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to become a demo...BUT.....

I am hoping that one of you fabulous ladies can help me.

Ok, a little background....
I was introduced to SU! last year via the internet. I purchased a catty, and placed an order through a demo in another state. As soon as I received my rubber, I was hooked. But, I work full time, and do not know of any other stampers. So, I didn't pursue anything. In May of this year, I attended a Memories Expo, where I did a SU! make and take. I loved it!! I filled out a little card at the table, and I had left. I had never attended an SU! class or stamp camp before. Then, I starting receiving phone calls, and e-mails from a SU! demo. Not knowing who she was, I did not respond. Well, it turns out that I had met her at the Memories Expo, but do not remember who she was. (there were a few SU! there that day)
So, this is my dilema.....I would guess that it would be easier to sign under a demo that was in close proximty to where you live? The gal I have purchased from in the past is many states away, and I am not sure about the protocol with a new demo.
As for the demo that has called and e-mailed.. I know that she lives near me, but I have not had any contact wth her. Should I call her? E-mail her? I met a great gal the other day at work, and she loves the new catty. I am excited that I would already have a customer!!! I was reading about quarterly minimums and was wondering if this was the right time to sign up?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I really, really want to join.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 07:09 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Jen, I would at least met the demo that lives nearer to you and see if she is someone you can get along with and would you be comfortable working with her. Having an upline severl states away I think would pose more problems for you than having one nearby. Who knows, this demo may turn out to be one of your closest friends.

Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 07:12 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi!

Congrats on your decision to beomce a demo! I just started this month. My advice would be to sign under someone close to you. It helps if you need to borrow something, if she participates in group meetings that you can also attend, etc. I say if you think the person who was e-mailing you is someone you think you could work with, give her a call or send her an e-mail. Nobody is going to turn away a possible/probable recruit, whether you've never talked to her or just haven't talked to her in a long time. I don't think I had ordered from my upline in about a year, when I finally decided to take the plunge (I had been ordering from someone long distance in my hometown who would offer discounts and stuff), but she welcomed me with open arms when I said I wanted to sign up under her!

Good luck with your decision!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Hi Jen!

I was in the same boat so I got on the web and found my closest consultant and told her I wanted to sign up. She is so awesome-I am so glad I signed under her rather than someone further away. Now if I need help with a technique, low on supplies I could borrow from her (or vice versa) or if we just want to get together and PLAY - it's easy!!! It worked for me, I just see a lot of advantages to a close upline!!! You could always contact her, ahve a party (as an "interview") and see if it is someone you would mesh well with!

Have a great day!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 07:21 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

You are not obligated to sign up under the demo you purchase from or the woman that's been contacting you. Some people may think you should as a courtesy/support kind of thing, but IMO you need to find an upline that's going to provide how much (or how little) support you'd want. My suggestion is that you find a couple demos in your area (ncluding the one that's contacted you unless she's someone that just kind of irritatedsyou for whatever reason) and meet them - maybe go to one of their workshops. I would also let them know that you're"interviewing" potental uplines so they would not be "shocked" if you choose to sign up with someone else.

I think it helps motivate or keeps you motivated to have an upline that you like and respect - meaning he/she runs their business in a way you want to run yours and treats their customers how you'd lie to be treated.

good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 07:22 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I think it all depends on what you are expecting to receive from your upline. Personally, I hadn't had any terrific experiences (nor had any of my friends) with demos in our area. I was looking for someone who I could learn from (latest and greatest techniques, etc.), and while I'm not a dynamic stamper by any means, I did want to find someone who's style I really liked, was better than I was, and felt could teach me a bunch. The internet is a wonderful tool and my upline is in TX (the wonderful, awesome Beate!!) and while I would *love* to be closer to her, I feel I am benefitting wonderfully from her via the web. I guess it's up to you whether you feel you need the support that comes from meetings and such.

"Love is never wasted. It may not be reciprocated,
it may not be fully appreciated,
but it is never wasted."
Neal A. Maxwell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 07:28 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say having an upline close by is a definite advantage. Since you have no real ties to anyone, my advice would be to "shop" for an upline. Go to the demonstrator locator on the SU website and find 2 or 3 demos in your area and "interview" them (along with the demo you mentioned). Believe it or not, not all demos are really interested in having downlines. Probably any demo you contact would be thrilled to have you sign up under them, but it is in your best interest to find someone who really wants to be an upline...someone who would like to be involved in really helping you. Of course it's also important that you "click" with the person - someone you can have fun with. Although you can make it without an upline (SCS is a great resource), it is so much easier and more fun to work with a great upline!!! Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 07:30 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Jen - So happy to hear that you are finding the joy of stamping! It really is fun and rewarding and I wish you many years of excitement and success.

I agree with others here - in general, I think you want to go with someone who lives close. But you could have someone who is far who can still support you better than anyone else. My upline is in Hawaii (and I am in Texas) and we "talk" via e-mail two to three times a day! She is there for me any time I need help. I would not trade for anyone else.

I think the most important thing is to get someone that you can click with. Give the lady who calls you a call and see if you can go to her workshop or class. I would not even mention about signing up or buying from her. Just see how she is.

Unless you live in a real rural area, chances are there are tons of demonstrators in your town. I encourage shopping around. Find the one you can trust and have fun with.

Now is a great time to join especially if you already have friends who want to start but I would suggest not rushing into it. You want to find someone who is there for you - vs. someone who wants you for them.

I think it is so wise of you to be doing your homework here I know it is really important for you to have a great upline and do well in your business. Great job on starting your business even before it is starting! I am sure you will be a great demo! Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 07:41 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I think you can make it in this business whether your upline is local or long distance. Many demonstrators with local uplines have less support than those with long distance uplines.

I personally have a recruit in Texas (HI ANDREA!) that I have never met before. I don't think she gets treated any differently than my local recruits. Other than the fact that she doesn't get to actually see my smiling face! LOL!

You can make or break YOURSELF. An upline's only obligation to you as stated in a recent Stampin' Success is to be there to answer questions when needed. That's all. Someone can do this long distance as well as locally.

You need to do what is best for YOU in this situation. There are so many resources online (and on this website!) that will teach you stamping techniques.

You should be commended for doing your homework in this situation. I know lots of extremely successful demonstrators that are where they are due to their OWN pursuance of success. Nobody has held their hand along the way, yet they have discovered their own methods. You can do it no matter what sort of help you receive! We will all be here to support you!

- Susan Eubanks
www.inkedblessings.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I must echo Susan Eubanks on this--GREAT reply to this question--as well as Thenolanz. Both eloquent and well said and IMHO very true.

Also, Susan points out what I think MANY recruits need to realize from the get go: Your success depends on YOU, not your upline.

For me personally, a great upline is one who can answer questions or help me find the answers when I can't find them myself and relays cool stamping ideas or tips via email; an information and experience resource.

Mine does that and I wouldn't trade her for the world and yes, we are long distance. And, that's how I train my own downline, as I am long distance nearly 4 years now from them.

Be cautious of "giveaways" and/or someone who claims to offer performance based incentives ... in many cases they are used as enticements to get you to sign on, but the recruiter doesn't follow thru ... not true of all who offer them, but I've seen it happen enough that I don't put stock in such deals ...

(side-bar: IMHO if a new demo'r need "incentives" from someone else to sign on or perform well in sales, then their motivation is not internal and they are unlikely to truly succeed--but that is yet another conversation for another time ...!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I agree with all the previous posts. I have an upline that is about an hour away. When I first became a demonstrator she was extremely helpful in teaching me the ins and outs of SU. And she was my mentor for the 2 years prior to that as my demonstrator. But because of the slight difference in distance I found it helpful to sign up for classes at my local stamp store and I learned a lot of the newest techniques there. And then I was told about SCS (doing the happy dance) from my upline and I have all the support and creative inspiration I could ever need. Take your time and find someone you can work with, and that you like. Stamping is suppose to be fun, so have fun!!!!!!!!

Stampin'Hugs
Charlee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 08:32 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SIL was my Demo before I jooined. she was in montana. when i wanted to join, she suggested finding someone close by. I am glad that i did. we often combine our supply orders to save on shipping and i have learned a lot from the others in my side line. My upline has dropped now. but I feel a much supported by those ladies. we host our own meetings and talk about business, we also swap stamp sets and other supplies to help each other out. so I would have to say that having one close by is the way to go.

I slightly disagree with Julie on the incentive thing.......mostly because I am offering a joining incentive right now. I know that i will nurture my down line. But I have NO knowledge of things gone wrong, julie probably does. she has been around longer than I. I just want to grow my buisness and friendships with fellow stampers.

you might use the demo look up fuction and call those ladies. Find out about there style, buisness Savy, if they have a downline and how often they meet. meet them face to face.

there can be a lot of neat things that happen in a group!

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 08:36 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Find someone ...

Find a demo whose approach and style meshes with your own. Ask yourself: Is she the kind of demo *I* want to be?

I got really lucky because I met someone on another board who was just then getting heavily into SU. She lives 10 minutes from me! At first I was afraid to order from her -- I hate to be hounded by sellers, etc., and I was really afraid she'd never let me alone! It turns out, she's a hobby demo who is in it basically for the discount. She's very casual about the business side of it, gives me her discount (YEAH!) and is becoming a good friend. If she had been ALL-BUSINESS, or had tried to recruit me or something, I would have freaked out. At the same time, she's REALLY good, and I'm learning a lot. She has a stamp camp a few times a year and it's FUUUUUN!

At the same time, though, both of us are really busy (I work part-time, and we both have a child at home). If I have a question, I email or call her, and I hear back within a few hours. Surely a long-distance upline could provide those services as well. I've not needed to borrow stuff from her, but I'm sure I could if I needed to.

The bottom line is, it all comes down to what YOU need from an upline. If you need someone to physically hold your hand, or help you set up the chairs for your first workshop, then by all means, look for a local person. But if you want emotional support and information and tips, a long-distance upline could be great, too. I know that works for a lot of people.

Go with your gut! Pick the upline who "feels right."

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 09:28 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I , too, feel that the best choice is probably a local person. But, also consider the group above that person. I belong to a very active and supportive group and can rely on help from people 3 up from me. They host group meetings and opportunity nights that I can take advantage of to showcase SU to my potential recruits as well as learn from myself.
On the other hand, a local demonstrator doesn't necessarily have those resources in which case a long distance one could do as well.
I do think it is very important to have someone who understands your goals and that you can relate to.
Either way, becoming a demonstrator is a true adventure.
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 09:50 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with everything the ladies have said. My upline is in Florence Oregon and she is the greatest. I would have dropped long ago if it had not been for her calling or emailing to check on me since moving up here. She always offers advice and tips and she is constantly sending me stuff. I was her first recruit and when I made senior associate, she sent me 1/2 of the cost of my kit to me. I was shocked! I could not remember her saying that...I just wanted to sign up as a hobby demo. So, of course I spent that by ordering some paper and inks I needed.

One thing I would like to say is...no matter who you start up with, try to have as many workshops booked as possible by the time your kit arrives. This way you get off to a great start and that can keep you motivated to continue. I learned this while as a Pampered Chef demo. They have you set up 6 shows before you get your kit and then all your intial work is done. The hard part anyway. Good way to go. Wish I had done that when I started up with SU but at the time, I was signing up basically for the discount and I could most definitely meet my minimums every quarter. lol Now, I am trying to build up a customer base and go business and having a tough time.

No matter what ya decide to do, you know we will be here to offer support and advice whenever ya need it.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 10:03 AM   #16  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

readsomething/Laura-I just pm'd you off topic.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Default WOW Ladies!!! You are all the best!!

I cannot thank you all enough for taking the time to answer my post. I am so nervous about beginning this adventure.
I looked at the demo locater on the SU! site and I have 3 demos locally. The gal that called and e-mailed me is one of those demos. I will give her a call. She is doing a demo on August 27th, and I will go and pay a visit. (and check things out....

One thing though....I only have 1 girl interested in stamps...so, I do not have enough people to do a workshop. There is just not much going on here when it comes to stamping. (sad, but true....I know that in other parts of NY it's popular, but not here :(
So, I am going to try my best anyway!!!

Thanks SO MUCH for all of your responses, and advice. I will definitely need a shoulder or two over the coming weeks.

Have a wonderful weekend.....
Reply With Quote Likes