Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Signing up for the discount?

Has anyone signed up with Stampin Up just for the discount to support their own "habit" ?
I have been thinking about it now with the kit on sale. But the $300.00 a quarter quota scares me a bit. I am sure that I could find that much stuff that I would want to buy....but. you know what I mean!
So I was just wondering if anyone out there did this and how it worked out or if it was worth it?
thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Thats how I got started. I was new to stampin and needed everything. That was november 04. Here it is april. I have enough costomers to meet my mins, and have been doing pretty well. The starter kit is definately worth the money, mins or not. You never know till you try.

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 12:56 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I did

I did it for that reason. I don't regret any of it. I love SU. I've sold Avon, Tupperware and never had people come to me for parties. I had no plans at all to have parties, maybe a workshop at my house once in awhile if needed. But friends have asked if i would do a party for them & then some one will book off of that. I try not to do but one party a month. I have my fingers in way to many pots. It doesn't hurt to try. I wish I could get someone in my down line. I have someone who wants to but is planning a wedding. We'll see.
Good Luck

Can I help you take control of your families healthy care?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I signed up with SU with the intention of only supporting my habit and being a hobby demo. I went back and forth because I already had most of the accessories and didn't relish having a second set of pastels or a third wheel handle. A lot of other issues kept me from signing up from taxes (I HATE doing taxes and I fill out the EZ form, but I hate the idea of having to pay someone to do my taxes more) to meeting the quota, to the fact that a lot of SU resources and demos are more geared towards the business aspect which is not a negative thing, but I don't care about maximizing sales or maintaining good customer relationships because I am strictly a hobby demo. I have no desire to do a workshop or take orders from customers or friends.

I eventually decided to heck with it and bought the kit because I looked over my spending habits with SU for a year and realized I could have easily made the minimums. I don't have problems meeting the quota now that I'm a demo, but I have to be really organized about what I buy and when I buy to 1) make sure I meet the minimums and 2) maximize the benefits.

Ultimately, it depends on your budget and spending habits. If your budget allows you to spend roughly $100 a month (technically $80 after the instant earnings/discount), then it's not a problem, especially if you're starting out with SU and don't have a lot of the accessories. The kit is FULL of them. If you think this might be an issue, then you might want to be a really great customer of a demo you like. I did the math and figured that if I stick with SU for about a year and just meet the minimum, I will have saved in instant earnings/discount what I paid for the kit; i.e., if the 20% instant earnings/discount = $200 (price of kit) then gross sales = $1000. At $100 a month in gross sales * 10 months = $1000. That doesn't even take into account that you get a 30% discount on your first workshop because I wanted the math to be easy.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks so much for the help!
Myzuk....
Thanks for breaking down the math end of it like that. Makes sense. Doesn't seem so bad when you figure what you save pays for the kit! And for the tip about the 30% off, I didn't know that.

What about taxes?
What do you do if you are only in it for the discount? Is there a certain amount that you can sell before you have to worry about any taxes? Or do you turn anything that you sell? What about what you buy yourself? Is that considered bus. supplies? I think I am confusing myself?
I am sure that I would buy more myself than i would sell to anyone else?
Help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Also if you think that you can sell the 8 catalogs out to friends that are even remotely interested or other demo's in your area, you can earn back some of the money that you spent for the kit. If you already have the basic black (or any of the other supplies in the kit) you can sell them too and make back "some" of the money..

Just a thought cause that is what I am planning on doing. I am going to let that help me to pay off some of the debt from getting started.

As far as taxes it is a direct selling company and as far as any of the others that I have dealt with, you do not have to claim unless you have made over $600 with the company..

Buying stuff for you, it is a tax write off because you are using to enhance your business.

There are benefits to being a demo and the easiest way to keep from confusion is just keep a good record of your earnings and spendings..

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorrry, I cannot get the delete to work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Also remember that you only pay income tax on the 20%, if you itemize and show a profit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I did it and have no regrets. It was a great way to get stocked up on paper and accessories. Now that I'm fully stocked, I belong to a Stamper's Ten club and spend $25 a month. Just enough to buy a few of the new things and keep my stocks filled.

I was able to sell almost all of the business supplies to the demonstrators that I knew from my upline's group. And the Stampin' Up! monthly publication is a nice bonus -- even if a lot of it is business info that you won't use, there are still lots of great card samples and also stamping and product info.

If you can afford it, go for it. What do you have to lose?

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks again for the help.
I suppose it would be a good idea to just give my tax man a jingle and see what he has to say about all of it too. It might help ease my mind a bit on this. But by the way it sounds, I wouldn't have to worry to much about it.
Does anyone share their discount with their friends to help them make the minium each quarter? Or is there another way to get a few extra orders? Could you offer something free if they spend a certain amount?
Any ideas on this one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I signed up purely for the discount in Aug 2004. I have no intention of ever making a business out of this (no time or interest for that part of stamping and SU, really). I've never run a workshop or class. I share my discount with 4 people, who I could never see myself ever wanting to make a profit no matter how much/little they bought- my SIL and cousin and 2 very close friends. We all get to share in the discount and I haven't yet had to buy more than I would have anyway if I were just a customer. I know that some people would be shocked to hear that I give the discount out to so many people, but totally works for me. They know the whole deal and its a win-win for everyone as far as I'm concerned. I guess, like other people have said, it really is a personal choice as to what you want out of your demonstatorship. I am definitely an example of pure discount demo. ~Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 07:39 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Can someone explain what a downline, upline and hobby demo are???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REMEMBER....what ever you buy to use for your business you can write off!!

Last year I bought a laptop and was able to write if off. I use it for work (emailing customers, printing off flyers, going on internet to place SU! orders) but I also use it for regular home stuff too. It was nice to write it off!

I'm a hobby demo...I didn't want to deal with all the tax paper work either. But trust me...if you're only a hobby demo...it's not much paperwork...if any at all!!! It's totaly worth it.

Just a quick reminder....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #14  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

redsabby:

The upline is the person a demonstrator signed up under.

The downline is the person who signs up under a demo.

A hobby demo is simply a demonstrator that doesn't actively sell to anyone but herself.

There's no difference to Stampin' Up! We just use that designation to separate ourselves from those who are making a business out of it.

Hope this helps!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 02:16 AM   #15  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I signed up in January with intentions of only being a hobby demo!! I did have 1 Open House and ! book party though now. I do have 2 workshops booked for this year yet but not planning on doing anymore than 4 a year right now. I didn't sign up to make money I signed up just for the discount and maybe make some back to buy more stamps!! DH knows that I have spent more than I made but hasn't said anything yet ;)
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I just signed up and am going to be strictly a hobby demo.

At the first party I attended I spent $175. I figure I will spend at least $100 a month (which will be $80 with discount) for a while. If I end up going inactive eventually, oh, well, at least I got a great deal in the starter kit anyway! And I like getting all the insider info and stuff.

One reason I signed up is because I'm impatient and don't want to wait to place orders! :-)

I actually will make sure I place two $150 orders a quarter instead of $100 per month because the $150 order means I qualify for hostess benefits.

My only issue so far (not that I've been doing this so long) is that I'm not sure my upline really gets the idea that I really, truly am only going to be a hobby demo. I had booked a party with her before signing up and as we were going over the stuff she was talking about how she was going to give me any bookings that she got at my party. And she keeps wanting me to come to unit meetings, etc. I have reminded her that I'm just a hobby and I'm of course going to do only that which I am comfortable doing.

I say go for it if you can afford the kit!

--Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 07:56 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks everybody for being honest. I just needed a little reassurance that it can be done this way (signing on for the discount) and it will work. Thanks for the ideas.
And I agree with you Maria, everyone has to do what works best for them. I think I am going to give it a shot! Woo hoo more goodies!
Thanks
Laurie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 09:23 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I started as a hobby demo and now I am trying to have at least a workshop a month...most of my workshops are at least $300. This weekend I am demoing to a group that I might even get 1 or 2 recruits from!!!

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I signed up almost six years ago, and I'm still a hobby demo. I've had a few workshops and stamp camps over those years, but in the past two years have only had one workshop (and she all but begged before I would agree ). The only time I have had a problem with making my minimum was when I was off work four months (I work part time to support my habit) recuperating from knee replacement.

I've been to four conventions and one regional and absolutely love getting together with all the other demos. I don't think you'll be sorry if you join us. What do you really have to lose?

So very blessed and so very thankful.
God is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 10:05 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I am also a hobby demo and I love it. I do have stamp camps every so often that my upline and I "share" so we invite both of our customers. My customers are mainly co-workers and friends.

I still make the majority of my own minimums, but I love being able to order stuff when I want. Convention is also wonderful if you are able to go! I say go for it
James 1:17
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 10:08 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I am signing up this month for the discount. I am going to be a hobbie demo, but I have several friends that will buy from me since my demo is moving to Colorado. I don't think I will have any problem meeting the minimums. And if you sign up in April you have till Sept. I think to make your $300. ( I think that is what my demo said??)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

do you hear the chant.....do it, do it.........haha

mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Hey all, I am wondering... what is the sale price of the kit? I have been on the fence about SU for almost a year. Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!!!! Thanks.

Jana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

$169+shipping and handeling and tax.

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Question??

As SU demo, Do you earn money from your discount sales?

I know that TAC is alittle different than SU. TAC 25% earning vs. SU 20% earnings

I know that you take your earning right away....Where as TAC you have send in the full amount and then wait for your commission check. Twice a month....
Which I like...Kinda.

Now if I buy with 30 or 40% discount I do not earn any Commission on this.

TY

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

We take the 20% right away...but then we get a rebate check on how much total sold for the month. When you sign up the upline does not recieve any profit off your initial kit investment. Your first order within 45 days you get a 30% profit straight off the top.

Does this answer your question??

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I am so glad to read this thread; I have been thinking about signing up too! Thanks for all the great advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

When exactly does the beginning of the 45 days start? Is it the date SU gets your application, or the date you get your kit, or some other date? Also on the first party order within 45 days, can you include a bunch of stuff for yourself as demo? Do you take the free stuff for what you order, or give the free stuff to the hostess of the party?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2005, 07:58 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REMEMBER....the STarter Kit form and Demonstrator AGreement form have to be in the hands of Stampin' Up! by April 30th to get the $169 price.

That means you should have it in the mail no later than April 25th to assure you meat the deadline!! Just thought you all should know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Good question...

I just started stamping for REAL (meaning I was ready to start using my stamp collection that sat untouched for 2 yrs from parties I didn't attend but ordered from) when I hosted a demo one year ago. I fell in LOVE and decided on the spot that I was going to sign up for my own discount as I only had stamps and nothing to go with them except one color family of ink pads.

I do about one demo a month and between that and my own purchases, I've been just fine. I don't think I'd have enough money in my budget to make the $300 per quarter purchases right now, but I haven't had to worry about it yet and I've made it every quarter between my purchases and my friend's purchses.

My friends and I get together once a month at my house to learn something new that I've learned here or at a local gathering. I'm still learning though and don't know a lot about technique. I do MUCH better seeing how to do something in person, but at times can muddle my way through a tutorial.

Have fun! The $30 off is nice, but they might offer some extra stamp sets next month like they did last year when I signed up after May 1st. I don't know if anyone has heard how they're going to work that or not yet. When I signed up last May, I got 2 free stamp sets. The down side was I had cattys in my kit that were about to expire. I didn't even know the SU catty came out each month, I was simply TOTALLY sold on the price and quality of SU products and didn't care. The 2 new stamp sets were ones that would be in the new catty, so that was nice.

Have fun making your decision.
Crazed Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2005, 08:23 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I too signed up for the discount. Then a friend asked if I'd do a workshop for her. Got a booking from there and, of course, couldn't say no. Things just escalated from there. Now, almost a year later, I'm loving it. I have a hostess club that covers my quarterly minimum plus. I love getting my discount and networking with the wonderful group of demonstrators in my area.

SU definitely helped with our taxes this year - giving us extra $$$$ back. Hurray!

Regarding sharing the discount, I do give my SIL my discount simply because she sells me my BeautiControl stuff at her discount and has done so for years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2005, 08:28 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

I would say GO FOR IT!!! The minimums are low and very easy to meet... If you have a stampin friend or 2 they can help you meet the minimums too and you get so much in the kit!! I do workshops and stuff and love it but I think it would be easy to stay active just for the hobbiest as well... you have nothing to lose!! The kit is significant savings on the products and then you get a discount on everything you order, if it doesn't work out, you aren't under any obligations but I think you will see it is easier to do than you think

Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAGMOP
When exactly does the beginning of the 45 days start? Is it the date SU gets your application, or the date you get your kit, or some other date? Also on the first party order within 45 days, can you include a bunch of stuff for yourself as demo? Do you take the free stuff for what you order, or give the free stuff to the hostess of the party?

It's 45 days from the day SU processes your application. It then took about a week and a half for my starter kit to be received. Your upline can call a week or so after the paperwork has been sent off to check to see if 1) SU received it yet and 2) if you've been assigned a demo number. Once you have the number, you can call SU to get access to the demo portion of the SU web site (and sign up for the demo portion of SCS!).

From there, you're on your way. I think SU recommends (and almost everyone I know who signed up did this) that you be the hostess of your first workshop. You get the free hostess benefits (along with 30% instant income as a demonstrator!) and it's a great way to let people know that you've become a demo.

I didn't have a traditional party with guests and and whatnot, since I'm strictly a hobby demo, but I did place a workshop-sized order to take advantage of the discount.
Reply With Quote Likes