Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2005, 10:53 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swaps +1

How many of you won't sign up for a swap when the hostess doesn't participate?? I hate that. I feel if you are going to do a swap participate!! I will not sign up for these swaps.

Most of the swapers add in a little ty gifts for the hostess for doing all the work

what do you think???

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 11:04 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Default Swaps + 1 are just fine with me

I don't always send a TY gift with a +1 swap - just depends on how I'm fixed for time. I do always send a "thank you" for a straight swap. The hostess should get something for her trouble. Human nature being what it is, I don't blame anyone for having a +1 swap and I'm not put off by it at all. I think of it as having the price up front instead of counting on a tip.
-Crystal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Swaps

WHat do you mean by a +1 swap? what is that? I am new to this site...
How do you become a hostess of a swap?
thanks, Victoria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

wow..I am so naive...It never even occured to me to send a little "gift" to a participating hostess in a swap. How dense am I? I will definantly make this my new standard though!

Regarding your question, I don't mind doing the plus 1's because that is just something for the hostess for hosting. But again, even though this does not bother me, it never occured to me to send a participating hostess a little something for her time. Can you tell i'm freaking out at my idiocy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kimberly, don't sweat it, lol! A hostess gift is a nice surprise, certainly not a "must." Personlly I don't mind +1 swaps either because, knowing how easily I would become overwhelmed with the details of a swap, it's certainly worth the extra card to have ANYBODY else but me coordinate a swap, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

i always have the +1 in my swaps. there is a lot of work that goes into hosting a swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalkaskamz
wow..I am so naive...It never even occured to me to send a little "gift" to a participating hostess in a swap. How dense am I? I will definantly make this my new standard though!

Regarding your question, I don't mind doing the plus 1's because that is just something for the hostess for hosting. But again, even though this does not bother me, it never occured to me to send a participating hostess a little something for her time. Can you tell i'm freaking out at my idiocy?
Kimberly,

I too am feeling pretty dense right now. The thought of sending the hostess a little gift never crossed my mind. I, too, will make this my new standard as well.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystald
I don't always send a TY gift with a +1 swap - just depends on how I'm fixed for time. I do always send a "thank you" for a straight swap. The hostess should get something for her trouble. Human nature being what it is, I don't blame anyone for having a +1 swap and I'm not put off by it at all. I think of it as having the price up front instead of counting on a tip.
-Crystal
I'm wondering what people might send if they send a TY gift to a hostess?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't mind doing the +1 swaps....it is A LOT of work to hostess a swap.

The last swap I hosted, it took me a good 4+ hours to swap and package everything. Plus I had to go to the PO, wait in line, have her weigh 1/2 of the packages that I know weighed more than 1 pound, and cuz this PO has glass partitions, I had to put the boxes in a window, close the door, then the PO worker had to open up the other door and take them out. There was NO WAY I was going to have her pass boxes back and forth so I could add extra postage if needed, and then seal the box. I ended up eating the extra postage which totaled around $15-20.

I did participate in this swap, and I split up the extra cards between my downline. Many are new, and I've also moved away from most of them, so I send goody packages now and then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I never join +1 swaps. I do include thank yous for the hostess. I've hosted a lot of swaps over the years and I'd estimate that I got thank yous from 1/4 to 1/3 of the participants. Most of the rest didn't even say thank you in an e-mail or on a note. <shrug> I always felt that I made the choice to host a swap and take on the work and that it was wrong to ask swappers to pay me for my time with an extra card. My payment was getting to be in control of the details. I haven't got anything against hosts who run the +1 swaps, they just aren't swap rules that I want to abide by.

Someone asked what kinds of thank yous get sent... stickers, a card or two different from the swap items, a couple extra postage stamps, some stamped images, a few bits of ribbon or fiber, a charm.... any odd little thing that might be of use to the hostess. It's more about the thought than the item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 01:37 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a +1 swap I only send a short note thanking her for hosting the swap. My thinking is that the extra card that she gets for doing all the work is her thank you gift of sorts.

Now, if the hostess is in the swap also and making cards I send something as a thank you gift. Lots of times it's something I've picked up in $ sales, a small stampable item, stickers, fibers, eyelets, charms or something of the like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #12  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,078 Likes on 858 Posts

This is very interesting. I don't mind doing a +1 swap, most of the ones I've been doing are like that. I never knew or thought about sending something to the hostess for her work, but that is a great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I host +1 swaps, but I participate in most also. Some of the time I will have someone want a spot after It's full, so I will give up my spot. And sometimes I have flakers and I will take their place. I have a +1 swap I'm hosting now and I have takin two spots to fill the swap. How ever I don't expect a TY gift at all, It's real nice when I receive one.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 02:12 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hostessing swaps is a lot of work. I think +1 swaps are fair, if that is what the hostess wants to do. Of course you have the right not to participate, but so many of them are +1, I think I'd be missing out on a lot of fun!

BTW -- I did my first swap here and it was a +1. I liked doing it that way. My other swaps on other boards -- let's just say thank yous (gifts or just notes) were very rare, and I had to make up the cost of shipping in several situations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Help! +1 swaps?

Would someone please explain the swaps to me? the difference between a hostess swap and a +1 swap... I asked before but no-one answered.. am I asking in the wrong place? I am fairly new to this site.
Also with the new site format I cant figure out how to send a PM?
can you help me?
thanks, Victoria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Hi Victoria, A + 1 swap is where the Host gets the 1 card to keep for her trouble of hosting. And the ones without the + 1 usally means the host is in the swap too, so she or he will be making cards to swap also. I hope that makes sense, if not let me know and i'll try to explain better.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

HI Jaime
thanks so much for answering! so how do you get to be part of a swap and is there a cost? how much does it ususally cost the hostess to mail out the cards to everyone?
Victoria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Go to forums and then to swaps, and you just read them and pick one you want to do. You send the cards or whatever you make to the hostess with return postage in side so she can mail them back, when she gets them swapped.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:36 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

It cost anywhere from $1 to $4 to mail, depending on the weight of your swap items.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've hosted several swaps and all have been +1. I didn't realize that some people found that unacceptable. That is how I was first introduced to swapping. I love hosting, but it is a lot of work. There's no way I'd have time to make cards and administer the swap - I'm pretty anal about keeping in close contact with my swappers. Haven't had any complaints. I never expect a gift, but have gotten some and they have been wonderfully appreciated surprises! There's plenty of swaps to meet everyone's individual desires.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks Jamie for answering again... so does the hostess ask you to send a certain amount for postage? someone has said that it cost way over the amount and they had to pay the overage? or do you figure that however much it cost you to send to the hostess is what you send her to get them back to you?
Victoria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Generally you send the same amount of postage that it took you to mail to the hostess plus some extra loose postage just in case needed. I'm not sure what happened in the situation above where it cost the hostess postage. I've only had to pay a little postage a couple of times where someone forgot to put in the extra and the package was a little more than sent.

Usually the hostess spells all that out in the swap details posted. I know I always do.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictoriaSecret
Thanks Jamie for answering again... so does the hostess ask you to send a certain amount for postage? someone has said that it cost way over the amount and they had to pay the overage? or do you figure that however much it cost you to send to the hostess is what you send her to get them back to you?
Victoria
Victoria, most ask for a self addressed stamped envelope plus 1-2 extra stamps in case it weighs more on the way back. So I put as much postage on the inside envelope as it took to get there and then usually 2 $0.23 stamps in a baggie in case it weighs more (each extra ounce is $0.23).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only been in a couple of swaps so far. I don't mind either way the + 1, or if the hostess plays along.

I have noticed that some hostesses have a +1, and they also participate. The extra cards go to a charity, retirement home, military, etc. I think that's a great idea that I would follow if I ever was brave enough to host my own swap.

I think I'll just play along in a few more before nominating myself as a hostess! Swapping has been fun. Though lately, I haven't found a swap that appealed to me. I can't wait to find one!

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Most hostess ask for the same amount it takes to send plus one 37 cent stamp incase it is alittle more. If you read the swap threads it will tell you what the hostess wants you to do.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Victoria, most of the time the hostess will ask for a stamped, self addressed return envelope to be included with the swap cards you submit, plus an additional postage stamp included loose to use if necessary. I've never had a hostess keep the extra stamp, it always gets returned with my swap cards.

As for hostess gifts, I have done it sporadically, because I too almost always join +1 swaps. I did participate in a ribbon swap several months ago, though, and totally spaced out and forgot to include return postage. The hostess, EmilyMomto3Boys, was so gracious about it that I did send a thank you gift after the fact, a polymer clay pin I had made. On top of the HUGE headache that the swap must have been to coordinate, I'm sure it didn't make things any easier to have a flaky swapper, lol!

For the most part, I think hostesses are grateful if swappers just READ the instructions and do their best to follow through on time...

Hugs,
Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 06:00 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I host swaps all the time!! I know how much work they are. I usually have more than one going on at a time!! so I know how much work they are.

I usually send a package of embellishments, buttons, brads, maybe some of the same embellishments that I use in my card or what ever I am doing. I usually keep the value around 3-$5.

thanks to all of you who posted as I love the feedback.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 06:27 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I don't see anything wrong with the +1 swaps. I have hosted several. I consider the +1 card my "gift" for posting all the updates, sending out emails daily, standing in line at the P.O., etc. Because I am getting the +1 card, I do not expect an additional gift for hosting the swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 06:58 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Default plus 1

I've hosted a few swaps at SCS now. Until the current one, they've never been a plus one swap. My current swap is for Mother's Day cards and the plus one cards are being dontated with cookies to ladies at a local retirement home on Mother's Day.

As a participant, I tend to kind of avoid plus one swaps when the extra isn't going to charity. I suppose that's just because it's generally my philosophy not to ask someone to do what I'm not willing to do myself. That said, I TOTALLY appreciate and can personally relate to the amount of work that goes into hosting a swap. Because of that, I understand the desire that some people have to get something out of it up front and clearly stated. It's a personal preference I think, and an opinion on what's fair is generally subjective and tends to vary from person to person. I'm just glad that we have the opportunity to swap here! Yea!!!

Renee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

I agree with Brenda...

If you have never hosted a swap - there is a lot of personal time that goes into it...

I always participate in the swaps I hostess and I alwasy do a +1. I have been in swaps on other boards (mainly scrapbooking) and it was always customary to send a little thank you gift with your swap...

I prefer to set my swaps for 8+1 and take on at least 15-20 people so that it leaves room for flakers and people can make an even # of cards - 10 - send 9, keep one for themselves and get back 8 different cards with NONE of them being thier own.

I am hosting a Kid Birthday Card swap right now where I am actually in 2 of the spaces - I have it set for 8+1 - if everyone follows thru I will have about 20+ cards as my hostess "gift/thank you" - since I am participating in the swap I am donating my "hostess cards" to our local Ronald McDonald house.

I would rather send the hostess an extra card as a thank you then coming up with a small thank you gift and as a hostess I would prefer to have an extra card thanking me for hosting than a bunch of little extra stuff...However I do agree with you on the hostessing and not participating - I only sign up for swaps where the hostess herself is participating as well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Oops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #32  
Sassy Shani

Talking

Can anyone host a swap? I just did my first one with Dawn Phelps and she was very gracious and patient with me!!! I didn't even think to send her a ty gift or even a note (I'm kinda dingy sometimes). But I would love to host one. Can someone let me know if anyone can do it. Is it something where I just have to come up with the theme for the swap? Any help would be appreciated. TIA..Shanon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Yes anyone can host a swap. There is a thread at the top of the swap forums,that gives you the steps to post your swap.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Oh, boy, I am LAME!
I didn't know to send a gift and have participated in several swaps lately.
I feel like a heel now!

In my defense on hosting my first ON Going swap. I did a 10 + 1, simply because the sets I asked them to use I wanted ideas from...I was having trouble with one of them, and thinking of buying another of them. So, I didn't participate, not that I was lazy(working on doing others swaps at this time), just trying for some fresh or new ideas.

I had no idea what I did was so OFFENSIVE or WRONG...maybe that should be listed with the how to SWAP!

Last edited by SellsBskts; 04-14-2005 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Crystal,

There's nothing "offensive or wrong" about hosting a +1 swap. I was suprprised to see that some people feel so negatively about them - I've never had trouble filling mine and never had any complaints. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Red face It doesn't bother me...

To me, its all in good fun... they are doing the work etc.

I am really giving, so its not a problem for me either way.

I tried to hostess my first swap, but no one replied, repeat no one, oh well! What can you do?!

I did a plus one, but the plus one was for demos as a nice gesture to send in their plus one to the "WOW" gallery so they themselves could win a prize. I would've taken care of postage. Not for me to keep the extra one.

I thought of that idea because my upline hostessed a swap and she said send an extra one so that she would mail all the extras to the "WOW" file so each of us could be entered in it.

I would never have thought of ever sending in any of my cards to win a prize, so for her to help me do that was really thoughtful and nice. Now I plan to enter all the time.

I also thought that by mentioning that I would help people get their cards entered (that with the thought of it being a wow card), it would be a top quality swap.

I even added (because of the theme) if they wanted to make an extra one that I would send it to the "Card for the Troops" and I would have taken care of postage for it.

Then I thought, since not one demo replied I would open it for everyone, but I just wouldn't be able to send non demos cards into the "WOW" file for them at SU! because well, they weren't demos.

But not one replied.....*SIGH*.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Oh, now I feel bad! I'm new to this whole swapping thing and haven't sent a TY gift to my hostesses. I did send a quick thank you note and email to each of them. I've also signed up to host 2 that filled really quickly. I didn't even think about a +1, but I wouldn't have a problem participating in one. I thought the whole benefit of being host was that you didn't have to pay for postage and you still got to play. Now that I'm hearing that there's so much work involved and you end up paying extra postage, I'm wondering what I've signed myself up for. Hopefully all goes smoothly on my swaps. I will definately be sending TY gifts to all future swap hosts. Now that someone has said something about TY gifts it seems so obvious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

I have participated in swaps for 9 years now. Every one of them has been a +1!

And I hosted a swap ONCE... it was only 20 people, yet it was a huge amount of work. Trying to get updates from everyone-keeping everyone posted-swapping them out-taking them to the post office-etc.! Wow! I'll never do that again! It's much easier to just make samples for someone elses swap!

Well, maybe hosting once every few years is OK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2005, 12:22 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

While fairly new to this swapping thing - I have participated in probably 30 swaps in the last 4 months - and I don't honestly care if there is a +1 or not. The couple of swaps that I have hostessed have not been +1, but I think that is b/c I am addicted to swapping!!

Usually when I make cards, I make 2 extra anyway - one for a friend and one for my demo. Swapping stuff out is hard - especially if you have my cranky postal people - but for me I just love seeing what everyone creates and I hope they feel the same about mine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by SellsBskts
I had no idea what I did was so OFFENSIVE or WRONG...
It isn't! I'm one of the people who really doesn't agree with the +1 style of swapping but I never see them as wrong or offensive. They are just someone else's way of doing something and I choose not to do the same. I also don't use the same laundry detergent as my neighbor but I think she's a nice person and we get along fine.
Reply With Quote Likes