Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2005, 02:58 AM   #1  
Abbe-licious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know this should be in the demos only forum......

but I am not a member YET. I was wondering how all of you do your shows. I have seen shows where the demo charges $10 and you make some cards, or $5 for the same thing, and then I have heard some do one make and take for no charge, and then I know some just demo their stuff. What do you find is the most profitable way to run things? I am talking about for shows in other people's homes, not stamp camps. TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 03:08 AM   #2  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,071 Likes on 853 Posts
Smile

I'm not a demo, but I do belong to a monthly Stamp Camp. I just had a separate party this past Saturday. My demo came to my house and showcased some techniques, but most of the people were stampers already, not newbies. I've never been charged when I go to a party like this, only at a Make N Take. We made 3 different cards. Of course, people that come to a party are expected to purchase so that the demo gets her perks too. I had a great party and we all came out winners. The people who came had a great time and took home some really neat cards. One technique she used was one of the new ones in the new TJN which turned out fabulous.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 03:13 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

When I started demoing way back, at my workshops I demoed a few cards & then everyone made one. Then I started the THO (Totally Hands On) workshop, which meant that everyone made everything I did, which usually was 3 projects. I've found my customers love this much more, because frankly who wouldn't rather stamp themselves than watch someone else stamp!

Now I also hold stamp clubs in my home. These are where I charge $ to do the projects. I have a stamp club & a scrapbook club going on now. I also have a hostess club, where the ladies come & do a few projects and then are required to place a set amount order. They then take turns reaping the hostess benefits. Since they are required to place orders, I don't charge for this club. However, my other clubs where they aren't required to place orders, but pay a fee - many still place orders anyway.

The difference for me between charging for a club & holding a workshop, is that if someone wants to have a workshop & get the hostess bennies, whether she has it at her home or mine, I do not charge for the projects. The point of the workshop is to get orders for your sales & the hostess's benefits.

However, the clubs are for my advanced customers. They sign up at the beginning of the catalog year & know they're 'required' to make it to each club nights

I hope this helped a little. Reading back over this - it seemed a little rambly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 03:19 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I think it depends on the demo and the customer both.

If I am doing a demo workshop in someone's home, I don't charge anything....I demo 2-3 projects and then do one make & take with the attendees.

If I am doing an event like a Stamp Camp that the attendees are going to make multiple projects, I could charge for that. Usually when I do that - it is my best customers and I think of it more like a bonus fro them for being such good customers. If I am inviting people to attend that aren't from that group of customers, I could charge $5-10 per person to attend. I also would consider refunding their fee if they purchased a certain amount of product.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 03:19 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I never charge for workshops. I usually have the guests do a M&T upon arrival (keeps them busy while waiting for everyone), then demo 2-3 things (I suggest 2, but can't seem to break away from 3), then have everyone do one more M&T.

I've heard nothing but complaints from people who attend a WS where they aren't allowed to touch. It's important that they get to see that they can do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 03:22 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by witty5
The difference for me between charging for a club & holding a workshop, is that if someone wants to have a workshop & get the hostess bennies, whether she has it at her home or mine, I do not charge for the projects. The point of the workshop is to get orders for your sales & the hostess's benefits.
Perfect way to differentiate between a workshop and another type of event! I keep the free stuff when I do a stamp camp or something like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 03:45 AM   #7  
Abbe-licious

Thanks, I hate the thought of going to a party and having to pay, and then also feel like I should order something on top of that. I know that everything won't be perfect as I start out, but I figure if I can get the best ideas from the best out there (that's you guys) then I have made a good start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 04:59 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

The only time I would ever think of charging is at a stamp camp (people come to make several projects-at least 5- and walk away with them). I usually charge $10 for that and if they place a say $50 order they get that fee back...it increases my sales for the month and I put it in as a hostess order under my name and reap the benefits.

My stamp clubs each person places a $15 order each month. Each month a different person hostesses so we rotate through each person and everyone gets a chance to reap hostess rewards.

I would never think to charge for a stamp club. The girls are placing orders and for my clubs I have at least 10 if not more in a club, that is 10 months of orders and I value these customers the most.

I just did a demo last night and there was a lady there who just got out of a stamp club and was expected to pay $5 each time she went as well as place her $25 order. She did not renew with that stamp club because she just wasn't happy with the level of projects shown. she had been in this club for a year and had never seen heat embossing, candles, Crystal Effects. What on earth was she paying for?

Anyway, I really value my stamp club girls!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 05:24 AM   #9  
Abbe-licious

I like the idea of refunding the $10 Stamp Camp fee if they place and order of $50 or more, I may do that. Do any of you waive the shipping on stamp camp night or offer any other specials?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 05:28 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

CrabbyAbbe....just a customer viewpoint...I have no problem paying $10 to come and make cards. I love any opportunity to work with the product and see what new techniques, etc are shared. I love coming away with 5 or 6 cards completed! I never feel any pressure to buy....(maybe I should....my demo's out there somewhere!! )

Good luck on your ventures!
Old 04-13-2005, 05:31 AM   #11  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,071 Likes on 853 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrabbyAbbe
I like the idea of refunding the $10 Stamp Camp fee if they place and order of $50 or more, I may do that. Do any of you waive the shipping on stamp camp night or offer any other specials?
There are some demo incentives through May and my demo for April and May is giving a 10% discount (which amounts to free shipping) off any hostess party order, so the one I just had on Saturday I got 10% off my personal order that I placed. Also, we are starting a marker club and will get 10% off of our order for that also. Sometimes it's just up to the demo what she wants to do for her customers. It helps her get orders which helps her get freebies also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 05:45 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I feel that charging at a workshop is not my style. A camp or something is fine, but I wouldn't expect to pay at a workshop of any other product. LIke Mary Kay, you try their stuff and you don't pay. My format is a makentake, a demo and then another makentake. I feel that the more they see that they can do it, the more they like the product. I like this format and it seems to work for me. My customers that have been to other demos seem to really appreciate the ability to make two things and try different stuff. I always sell some of the stuff I demo too. It's much different to let them try than to show them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #13  
Abbe-licious

Thanks everyone for all your advice, I think I am going to go without charging for shows.

And now my real question ofthe day is why do I have a green galore dot next to my name and all of you have a basic black one
Really, I am serious, I think I might like a pink passion one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks everyone for all your advice, I think I am going to go without charging for shows.

And now my real question ofthe day is why do I have a green galore dot next to my name and all of you have a basic black one
Really, I am serious, I think I might like a pink passion one.
LOL the green galore dot means that person is currently logged in and surfing. The black dot means they are not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Abbe, you have a green dot because you are logged in. It's dark when you are doing something besides SCS--like laundry, dishes, work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Abbe - coming from someone who is not a demo...

If someone asks you to hold a party and come demo the products I would not place a charge on that - I am talking about one where you go to the persons house so they are a hostess and can earn free stuff - I would definately have at least 1 make and take if not 2 - trying out things is what made me buy lots of SU stuff...I know if I didn't know anything about stamping and was asked to come to a party and had to pay chances are I would not go...

HOWEVER - if you are holding something in your own home where you are inviting people (most likely people who have already been stamping for at least a little while) to come and learn about a new technique or product and you will be doing a few projects - then by all means go ahead and charge - My demo does classes where depending on the class she charges $10-15 - so she has people sign up for classes...she does one that is just for "newbies" and she also has technique classes (I helped her with one for stamped candles and shaker cards) and also holds kids classes - she has a kids class coming up soon where the kids are making something for either Mothers Day or for their Teachers for end of the year...

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Wink not for demos only

I love these threads. All of these things interesting topics help us (soon to be) demo's make decisions about how to run our new business. Thanks to all the demo's for responding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

When I go to a demo/party/class I don;t pay (except for what I order...LOL) When I go to Stamp Camp there is usually a sliding pay scale....$10 with no order, $5 with a $25 order, free with a $50 order..... very seldom do I pay for camp :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 04:40 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My standard workshops are free of charge.

I demo 3 projects, provide 4th as complimentary make & take for all attendees.

If I'm doing THO, at hostess's request, I provide maximum of 4, $10 per participant. $5 rebate for $50+ order.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

No, I never offer free S & H at camps. But I do offer certain free items for certain minimum orders; free items are not "cumulative". For example, if someone orders $25, they might receive their choice of a pkg. of hemp or Stampin' Write Marker. The offers are valid only that day and only through me and I use my computer to make up coupon sheets that have ALL the information/details on there.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 05:34 PM   #21  
kvb
Rubber Obsessor

Default From an attendee point of view.

I prefer to attend SU parties given by a hostess where we do make and takes. My demo usually provides two for everyone to make. Before the party she asks the hostess if there is something special she'd like shown. Usually we make two cards, but we have done other projects in which stamping was involved. The hands on approach allows everyone to try various SU products which benefits those new to stamping and those of use who've been at it a while. To someone new to SU just opening the stamp pad can be a challenge. To those of us not so new it allows us hands on to a new product, a chance to learn a new technique or just get a new idea and have fun stamping for an hour or two.

My first demo demonstrated making 3-5 quick cards, which the hostess was able to keep. When you're new to stamping that tends to overwhelm a person. I definitely prefer the hands on make and take approach.

My demo also offers classes from time to time. For a class I don't mind paying $10-20 depending on the topic.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes