Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-07-2005, 07:40 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any former demos here?

Hi Ladies! I am a busy, busy homeschooling mom of five kids. The oldest is 16 is the 'baby' is 10 1/2. We are involved in a homeschooling choir that meets on Wednesday afternoons and we are also involved in shooting sports with the 4-H twice a week. I have also been a SU! demo for three years. I joined because I loved the products and everything about Stampin' Up. I also knew this would be a good way for me to build up, uhm, some stampin' stash. Well, I've definitely done that! The only thing is that it's hard for me to just sit down and play with my stuff. I'm always in the 'demo' mode! I'm just really having a hard time enjoying all of the Stampin' Up products I've been able to buy.

Anyway, I've been doing a little soul searching and have decided that everything in this life takes up time and energy. I feel I really need to simplify my life at this point to save my sanity. Stampin' Up is one of those things that, at this point, I feel at peace with giving up. I know I can always be a hostess, and since I have the basics (and more!) I know I can still enjoy stamping.

What I want to know is if there are any former demos here and how you made the final decision to give it up and how you've felt about it since then.

Anybody else out there considering 'retiring'?

Julia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 07:58 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a friend who is on scs here and she recently gave up her demoship.
I think she is happy with herchoice. And has continued to buy what she wants or needs. I hope that both of you really get an chance to enjoy your stuff now. I'm pretty sure there are many others in your shoes.
I am a demo and a homeschool mom of 2 w/ a part time outside job and kids in 4-h. So I know where you are coming from and I understand. :lol:
Have a great day, and happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 08:06 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a formal Creative Memories Consultant ~ I feel good about giving it up as it caused me stress in that I could not find the time to restart my business after my move and was making the $500 order on my own every quarter for a WHILE - I now love to attend workshops and I am good with that! I have so much that I NEED for nothing and all is well -

If you give up the demoship you are not saying goodbye to stamping - you can always gather with friends and stamp (when you have time!) Or attend other demos workshops ~ it may be sad at first but if it helps to reduce your stress you should do it and if you change your mind in time you can always pick it back up (right??!)

Best of luck to you in deciding what to do!
Shelley

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 08:10 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm considering going inactive with Stampin' Up! as well, but for different reasons. I mainly teach classes and maintain my quarterly minimums with my own purchases for self and for my classes. I believe I'm way over-spending and need to take away the pressure of spending so much quarterly on Stamping. I intend to continue teaching classes because I really enjoy it. But don't want the pressure of spending $300 a quarter regularly. At this point I have all 48 stamp pads, craft white, basic brown and craft vanilla and tons of stamp sets. I think that I'm about at the point where I'll just need to replace my papers, ribbons and accesories and don't know that I'll need to spend so much....Anyway, we all do what we do for whatever our reasons are. I hope that you will find your love of stamping again and enjoy being creative with it rather than running a business with it....Best wishes to you....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 09:02 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default former demos

I became inactive recently as a demo because I was getting to stressed and for a couple of other reasons. Another one being that I was pretty much "dropped" like a bomb by the person I signed up under. In addition to that her upline lives an hour and half away from me so there was no way I would be driving that distance in order to get any type of help from them.

I was very fortunate though to have met another SU Demo/Manager during my first month and very lucky that she agreed to help me. Now since the only way that I could sign up/transfer under this new manager was to wait 6 months of being inactive. I chose to go ahead and become inactive so I can receive the support I want and need to be a successful demo in the future. I'm ok with this decision because as some of you have said "stress and overspending" was becoming a habit which I did not anticipate would be part of my stamping business.

I'm enjoying the time off and have started playing with my stamps more. I plan on using my time off for learning, playing and planning for workshops during the fall. I also still get to purchase my goodies from this wonderful demo who will be my future manager and she also allows me to come to her workshops for free. It is wonderful to know that I can sign up again and if I choose to this time around just as a "hobby" demo.

Happy Stamping,

Ana Malick ')
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been on the fence for a little over a year now. There are/were several reasons why the biggest being time and neglecting some important areas in my life such as Bible study and just plain enjoying my kiddos and not managing them.
So I have been keeping myself in business and I do get the occasional order which is nice. I do like the sharing of ideas and stuff, but I really have come to the conclusion that I need to really pray about it and examine my motives as to why I want to continue or why I want to stop. (which I haven't taken the time to do!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default re: former demo

I used to be a SU demo about a year or so ago and I had to let it go because I was stressed out with all of the requirements, and needed to do something that would give me more time to do whatever I needed and more opportunities available to me. It was bittersweet to let it go but such a relief later on. We are always at different points of our lives where things are changing.
The Angel Company Demonstrator #1260
Team Leader of The Elegant Diva Stamp Angels!
Email
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #8  
The Digi-Freak

I'm a former demo! I order from my sis now

I don't know when I will go back But I prolly will sooner rather than later ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I gave up my demoship about one year ago. Yes, there are parts I miss - mostly demo only discussion lists. But now I don't have the stress of meeting a quarterly minimum. I have alot more fun going to my ex-uplines stamp a stacks rather than planning my own. I've already been a hostess and earned some nice free stuff. I enjoy stamping now. I feel free to use non-SU products in my scrapbooks. I still try to share my enthusiasm for stamping with others - I can do that as a demo or not.

The short answer is I miss being a demo, but I don't regret giving it up. Someday I'll join again.

Melanie in NC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 04:24 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Thanks! You've given me lots to think about, especially about less stress in my life and praying before I make a decision. But in my heart, I think I know the right answer already. I really feel like I need to readjust my focus right now.

Julia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 05:58 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I was a demo from 95-2000. I had my first child in 1999. I decided I needed more time with family, and it has been a great decision for me. I enjoy stamping A LOT more - now that I'm not in "DEMO" mode! I still go to other stamp camps, and can always be the "hostess" when I need new product. I miss out on some of the perks, but figure Stampin' Up! will be here when I have the time and inclination to be a DEMO again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Smile Feeling Relieved

Whew, I'm feeling so relieved that I'm not the only one that was getting stressed out about being a demo! I too was spending waaay too much money on keeping up the quota and worrying about where my next workshop was going to come from. I became very depressed about my customer response to stamp camps and my newsletters, and then after praying it hit me, this isn't fun anymore, I need to let go!

I made the decision about a month ago and now I'm having fun stamping again...using whatever stamps I want, from whatever company I want and creating anything I want!! I still have these three months to go inactive as I met last quarter's quota but feel a great sense of happiness at my decision and now I can focus more on improving my candle business. All I can say is pray on it and you'll get that "lightbulb" moment like me where everything becomes so much clearer! Good luck!

"We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another." ~Luciano de Crescenzo~
Click to view my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been a demo for about 9 months now. I did it to buy the product my self as a new hobby. Well, buy I did.... and buy and buy and buy.....LOL I am in the place now where I should let it drop. I got a huge order in yesterday and had to think when I saw it that this should do it. Enough is enough.... I have a great upline unfortunately I never went into it as a business, I work 40-50 hrs a week in my own job. I have to admit that I am going to hang on until the new catty comes out ( can't bear to miss anything you know...LOL) Who knows..... I may just continue. It is a never ending cycle with stamps I have found out. There is always just one mre out there.... I have spent a ton of $$ but I have enjoyed this so much!!!

Bea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Red face

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I have been feeling like a failure because my business has gone no where in the last year (november was my 1 year anniv.) I always feel soooo pressured to make the $300 dollar mark that I end up spending more money than I want to stay active. Well maybe more than I should, not WANT actually! You really have shown me that it should be FUN. That is the reason why I became a demo. To have fun and make money. Now I feel good that if the business does not last, it is not my fault. Plus I'll always the wonderful inspiration and stamping ladies of SCS. Demo or not!!!

Thanks again ladies!

Theresa
Reply With Quote Likes