Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2005, 04:29 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tag Punch Anyone?

Last year while on vacation, I was in a stamping store that sold a really neat tag punch. I think it had 2 or 3 different sizes of tags on the same punch (ideal for layering). I remember it was quite a large punch also. I could kick myself for not buying it now because I can't find it where I live. I remember it costing in the $20.00 range. Does anyone know of any punches like this? Or is there a company that sells 2 different sizes so that you can layer the tags? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

-Faith
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:34 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

I would love to have such a punch too, but haven't seen one. Coluzzle makes a template for them though. It has three sizes in three different shapes. I found one at Michael's. If you can't find one locally I might be able to get you one and send it.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:37 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Karen-
I have seen the Coluzzle template. Actually I just saw it last weekend. I recall that the three different sizes of each of the tags seemed to be too big to layer. Is that the one you're referring to? Thanks for your reply!

-Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:39 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Tag punches

Paper Wishes carries that same punch in several styles for under $20. I think if you go to www.paperwishes.com you will find it. Good luck. Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:40 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

This is so funny! Yesterday I went running around to both Michael's & Joann's looking for exactly what you are decribing. Found it at neither.

I have one sitting here right now that I borrowed from my upline and absolutely love it! So last night I did a search on line and this is what I came up with.

http://www.alpineimport.com

Hope this is wht you're looking for.

*edited with corrected link* I hope! For some reason link still didn't go to correct page. I guess just go to home page link above and type in tag punch and several styles come up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:41 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Several of us have bought our big tag punches from Scrappers-paradise.com. Right now they are on sale - clearance is my guess but do check them out. The link below should take you right to the sale page:

http://scrappers-paradise.com/empu.html

If this link doesn't work, just try www.scrappers-paradise.com then go to sale page and click on the punches.

You'll find various sizes of domed tags and pentagon style. I have a very small "Whale of a Punch" pentagon shaped tag punch and to get the layered look I mono it to a 2nd color and cut around it. It's easy because the cuts are straight - domed would be very hard to do (for me!).

Scrapper's Paradise has really good prices if you compare them with the stores - and they are are hard to find in the stores. Plus with their sales prices I think you'll REALLY like the prices!

Good-luck!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:55 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I was just looking into this subject as well!! I went to the local scrap store yesterday to use their die cut of tags, but they didn't have what I wanted, so I ended up buying the coluzzle. NOT impressed!! I want the whole layering look, and they don't do that very well. Maybe I am being to anal, but I am going for a certain look and unfortunately, the coluzzle wasn't it! Do you know if the punches from Scrappers Paradise layer well? Do you have an example of how you guys used it???

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:03 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Thanks ladies for all of your help!

The punch I saw on vacation was the 3-in-1 punch made by McGill. Alpineimport.com has them for $15.95. Great price I think. I'm going to have to get out my ruler and make sure it's the sizes I need. They also sell the punch in scalloped, diagonal or rounded shapes. I like the scalloped one and was thinking about purchasing the 3-in-1 and also the tall scalloped punch they sell by itself.

If you are a huge tag fan or user you will love what paperwishes.com has to offer. They sell all three of McGills 3-in-1 punches as a pack for $41.99.

Just thought I'd let you know what I've checked on so far. If anyone else has purchased these McGill punches what do you think of them? Are they of quality and are the sizes what you prefer?

Keep the suggestions/comments/questions coming! Thanks again for your help!

-Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:08 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

We didn't buy the different sizes to layer - just the different styles.

DOMED TAG PUNCH: For gift tags, one thing that I've done with them is punch out a cardstock domed tag (usually US White), and also a piece from the wrapping paper that I've wrapped the gift with. I mono it to one side of the tag and it makes a QUICK beautifully coordinated gift tag!

PENTAGON TAG PUNCH: Because of the straight edges, I find this the easiest to mono to cardstock and then cut 1/4" border around for a layered tag without needing a second punch. Of course I bought the very biggest one they had at the time (3" long!), so there wasn't a bigger one to layer with.

If you use and like layer ease, that would work for making layers too!

OR - you could find a rectangle punch that fits into the center of the tag - I've actually done that too.

When you check out the punches from Scrapper's Paradise, click on each item and it will show you the dimensions of the punched tag. What I did when I was trying to decide what size to get is I used a 3"x3" post it note as a guide (since I was working with 2-3" punches), to determine what size I wanted.

The only layered tags I have on hand are the little tiny ones - about 1-1/4" long!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:08 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I have gotten a tag punch at Micheals - my michaels had the same style (straight sides scalloped type top) in 3 different sizes - I want to say it is made by Marvy??? I bought the medium sized tag and I want to get the larger one but they keep putting the punches on 25% off so I can't use my 40% coupon - one week I will get it....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I've seen them in the Paper Wishes catalog. I think they have three varieties...scallop, diagonal and rounded. You can buy them separately for under $20 each, or you can buy all three for something like $42. I was just looking at them myself. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:09 AM   #12  
Montague Mingler

If you have a little craft/scrapbook/stamping shop nearby (like Country Needleworks in Jenison, MI) I've found they carry the things I most want that I cannot find in the chain stores!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:10 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Faith - if you do find the 3 in 1 tag punch you were looking for, could you post the link to it please? I'd love to check it out.

Thanks!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:11 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

OK, Addicted to Rubber stamps is having a great big sale and I was just looking at their new line McGill and they have that punch & it's on sale for 15.19. Go to their sale page, click on McGill & go to the tag punches. You will see it.

http://www.addictedtorubberstamps.co...0Tag%20Punches
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:15 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2stmp4evr
Thanks ladies for all of your help!

The punch I saw on vacation was the 3-in-1 punch made by McGill. Alpineimport.com has them for $15.95. Great price I think. I'm going to have to get out my ruler and make sure it's the sizes I need. They also sell the punch in scalloped, diagonal or rounded shapes. I like the scalloped one and was thinking about purchasing the 3-in-1 and also the tall scalloped punch they sell by itself.

If you are a huge tag fan or user you will love what paperwishes.com has to offer. They sell all three of McGills 3-in-1 punches as a pack for $41.99.

Just thought I'd let you know what I've checked on so far. If anyone else has purchased these McGill punches what do you think of them? Are they of quality and are the sizes what you prefer?

Keep the suggestions/comments/questions coming! Thanks again for your help!

-Faith
I'm glad I was able to help and finally got that link to work right. The McGill scalloped 3 in 1 is the exact one I borrowed. I love it! It works great, and you are able to line up paper to cut out only one size if you wish. They are good for layering, but there is extra at the bottom of tag, so that your don't get an exact border all the way around, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:20 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I think EK Success Paper Shaper punches are the best - they're the company that makes our SU punches - with the thumb lever thingie. I have a "Whale of a Punch" tag punch and it works great - I wish it was a little bigger... They do have a couple other styles:

http://www.eksuccess.com/products_de...ad2721cb64b820

Hope this helps someone! I've seen these punches at Mike's.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:50 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought mine from Paperwishes it has 3 sizes on one punch

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

http://www.scrapbook-creations.com/whofpunewput.html

I agree with Soozie4him, the paper shaper punches are the best and the big Whale of a punch are great. They do have a few tag styles at the above link. I don't like the Marvy because that small circle you have to push is hard to push for CS. The thumb style are much easier.

That is my 2 cents. I wish SU would put them in their new catty, they would sell like hotcakes!

Furkids; Matilda Louise, Zoe, Boy, Queso, and Spooky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:54 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I bought both the scalloped and the straight punches with three sizes in each punch. I can't make them work. They are too hard. I finally had my son get it to punch and the all but one of the tags are too small for me. If anyone wants them, you can have them for shipping. They are heavy. Just send me a PM.

They are gone now.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:09 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

katiestamper what brand are they paper shaper or Marvy?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:21 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

They are Marvy. I have to say the SU punches are the best and I won't make that mistake again. It makes a huge difference having the thumb holder. I have some smaller Marvy punches that I bought years ago and they are just too hard.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:21 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I've got 2 different sizes of of the Marvy Merchandise Tag punches. They are really hard to use. I don't know that I'd recommend them.

Will work for stamps! My Gallery!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:28 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmouer
I have gotten a tag punch at Micheals - my michaels had the same style (straight sides scalloped type top) in 3 different sizes - I want to say it is made by Marvy??? I bought the medium sized tag and I want to get the larger one but they keep putting the punches on 25% off so I can't use my 40% coupon - one week I will get it....
The Micheals by me lets us use our Joannes coupons there. Then you can buy when the punches are regular price.
Joannes has 2 coupons 50% off April 7-9 Grand Opening week end here by us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:37 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I have the mcgill three in one punch and I am not very happy with it. The sizes are not right to layer and you practically have to sit on it to get it to punch. I have a single "whale" tag punch and it works much better. I would love to find one that is just right for layering!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4Him
I think EK Success Paper Shaper punches are the best - they're the company that makes our SU punches - with the thumb lever thingie. I have a "Whale of a Punch" tag punch and it works great - I wish it was a little bigger... They do have a couple other styles:

Susan
I looked at this and I'm a little confused. Why does it say "up to 2 inches"? Doesn't it just punch out that one size, or do they have slightly smaller sizes for layering? I too can't stand the circle punches. I LOVE that SU now has all of their punches with the thumb handle.

I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:46 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

McGill makes them. I have all 3 which means I can make 9 kinds of tags. They also layer really well. Love 'em! Bought mine in Portland.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Is this what you are looking for? I did a google search and finally got to the one I was looking for.

http://scrapbookit.com/catalog/image...lldiagonal.jpg

Since this is just a picture, I think it you'll just take off most of url back to the ".com" you should be able to see how to order it. HTH.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

This is the site where I got all my tag punches. They have many different styles, sizes and shapes. HTH.

http://www.uchida.com/eUchida/so/so_....asp?Cat0id=PC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #30  
Babe-Alicious!!

I bought the large scalloped one at Michaels and HATE it! It is way too hard to punch thru. I am actually thinking about taking it back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I have both the giga clever lever Marvy Uchida and the mega tag punches to layer. Even with arthritic hands they are easy to punch with. Lucky me got them on clearance when the LSS went out of business.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Thanks everyone for all of your input on the punches. I agree with a previous post that SU should come out with some tag punches in the new catty. I wonder if they wouldn't though because they sell the sheets of tags?

-Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

good point, I bet that is why they have not done it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:29 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

If your punches stick or are hard, they probably need lubrication. Punch a few times on aluminum foil followed by 1/2 dozen punches through waxed paper and they will be fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #35  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4Him

Susan
My Mike's doesn;t have any whale punches, and I cannot stand using the old style push til your wrist is going to pop.

I ahve been spoiled by the lever ones SU carries and NEED tag ones-keeping my fingers crossed for next catty

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you have painful or weak hands or arms simply lay a large background stamp rubber up on your punch. Punch down with both hands and it will ease the situation greatly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I couldn't agree more that the non-thumb punches are hard to push all the way through. For my largest ones (up to 4"x4"), I turn them upside down. This way I can put the pressure on the metal base that cuts the outer edge instead of trying to push down the middle with the button (does that make sense?). I just make sure it's on a very sturdy surface that won't dent or wobble from too much pressure. If it's a nice surface - put something underneath to protect it.

When I was into punches (before I found stamps!), I invested in a lever that was/is made by Marvy Uchida. It looks like one of those giant staplers, but is designed to put the pressure on the punch for you. It works very well and even has guidelines for lining up the different size punches.

I hope to see more great punches in the next SU full & mini catalogs!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #38  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueyes63
I couldn't agree more that the non-thumb punches are hard to push all the way through. For my largest ones (up to 4"x4"), I turn them upside down. This way I can put the pressure on the metal base that cuts the outer edge instead of trying to push down the middle with the button (does that make sense?). I just make sure it's on a very sturdy surface that won't dent or wobble from too much pressure. If it's a nice surface - put something underneath to protect it.

When I was into punches (before I found stamps!), I invested in a lever that was/is made by Marvy Uchida. It looks like one of those giant staplers, but is designed to put the pressure on the punch for you. It works very well and even has guidelines for lining up the different size punches.

I hope to see more great punches in the next SU full & mini catalogs!!
I have seen those lever thingies, but I think it would be overkill for me to buy some big honking punch and then have to buy a lever for it just for my tag punch-I can be patient and wait for the new catty It sounds like you had a ton and it was probably a good investment for you

Plus I had to return defectove punches of this style at Mike's and got a whole load of poo from the sales clerk. So I will hold out till I can get the good SU stuff.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:56 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

You can also go to this site and download the tag thingie, it is great, you can change the sizes to whatever you want and whatever color you want.
http://www.red-castle.com/software/fw/printtags.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Britta - believe it or not, I needed the big lever thingy more for the smaller punches than the big ones - ha! The border punches were why I got it in the first place - they're almost impossible to use.

Some people sell the "punchies" that the punches produce and then I think it is a necessity!

:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes