Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2005, 07:29 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is going on!!!

I am confused! This use to be a fun - loving stamp related website and it is turning sour! I love this site still the talent in here is amazing but the politics and gossip, and religion is out of control!!! can't we have our sweet SCS back!!! remember everyone what use to be! It all started with the love of stamping! I am not trying to stir the pot just afaid of what is going on out here! I know this will get me no where- and the right to speak and the need to be heard outweighs compassion and courtesy! I am just concerned and I miss what use to be!

schrades
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:35 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

My solution is to not even look at posts not related to stamping. Works with me with TV and radio, too. Don't take the bait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:37 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Beate! I love this site and have made so many amazing Friends I would hate to see anything truly aweful happen here! You are all so amazing! Lets rise above it all and stamp and share that joy!

schrades
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:37 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Funny you should post this...I have been thinking the same thing! :shock:

Everyone has the right to voice their opinion on whatever topic is out there, but what happened to the good ol' days when it was just stampin and fun light conversation!

I stay out of the "hot" topics and just come here for the awesome talent in the gallery, the stampin info and the "fun" topics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:38 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Maybe we should all be rereading our posts before we click "submit". I do think that by in large this is a great, friendly place to be.

I know I appreciate very much the patience that I have seen with newbie questions. I keep seeing the same questions over and over about this or that cardstock, aquapainters, blender pens, what are H2O's and so on. I LOVE the patience of those who answer these things over and over for newbie stampers. It shows a real love of stamping and wanting to share that love.

Kudos to the generosity of the members here!

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #6  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

I agree with schrades, I think it is gripe seesion all too often. I do appreciate all the great art though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Maybe we need a HOT Topics section. Some people love to debate... and when that happens it can get heated....

If it was in a section FOR that... we would all know to avoid it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:52 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I thought it was just me! Thought maybe I was just picking up a wrong vibe. I love the gallery, and the forums that information is shared on, but have decided not to get pulled in to bad vibes. When it gets too much I just switch to another topic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:53 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the support ladies!!

schrades
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:57 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree. I come here to escape. I'll stick to the stampin stuff. Take it easy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:59 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

This is one of the nicer places I've been! I haven't seen flaming here like I have other sites on the web. Of course maybe I'm too absorbed in the gallery to notice! LOL

Yup, switch the channel if you don't like what's on!

***Remember, professionals built the Titanic, but amateurs built the ark.***
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:00 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebDeb
My solution is to not even look at posts not related to stamping. Works with me with TV and radio, too. Don't take the bait!
Easier said than done when most of this site has turned into totally NON-stamp related issues.
I use to come here multiple times a day and now I am lucky if I visit 2-3 times a week. :shock:
I wish SCS was like it use to be when I first found it.
People are always asking "where is so-n-so" well the truth is, we are stampers . Not psychiatrists, politians, and what have you. Our time is precious to us and we would rather use it towards Stamping than getting involved in all the contriversy over topics that a better suited elswhere.
Please, please, pretty please bring back the site that was once fun, light humored, and stamp educational!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom71
Maybe we need a HOT Topics section. Some people love to debate... and when that happens it can get heated....

Why is it up to a STAMPING site to create a HOT TOPICS section....
If you like to debate over issues not related, find a site where you can do that. If you can't find one, create your own site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:06 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Default What is going on......

I now avoid all of the posts that I think will be offensive. I was offended by the religious posts.
Don't know what else to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

okay now lets close this topic because its going no where see ya ladies!
tis a shame!

schrades
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:11 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

The posts you are referring to are in the Everyday Chit Chat. If you want to avoid them, don't go to that section. Some people love gossipping about shows and talking about religion, the ECC area gives them a chance. Others don't have people at work they can "complain" to, so they vent here, in the ECC section. The General Stamping Discussion is still here in the General Section. Just avoid those controversial posts and you'll still see a happy fun loving place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Default AMEN SCHRADES

Funny how when you think something, someone else types it, I just love when that happens. I to used to come here all the time, and than it started getting clicky, and seemed to be alot of heated issues. I don't agree about the hot topics idea at all, (IMO) I think we should get back to what SCS was created for (although I have been known to ask for re caps of my fave shows) and lets get back to the basics of stamping. It has been great meeting and talking with new people and learning new ideas from Beate and the gang, but all the sourness just makes it all less desireable. Not wanting to stir the pot either, but just wanted to add my thoughts as well. We are all not going to agree all the itme on everything, so lets just make the best of having a FREE place to come and learn and share!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I love this place! Thanks again for this wonderful site! From my perspective it is a great, nice, stampin place (I never go to everyday chit chat, I stick with stampin stuff!) I love the way everyone is so positive. I noticed it from the beginning! Keep it up! We make it what we want to!
Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:40 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I partially agree with you Schrades...and nope, I'm not trying to debate what you said! I know you said you wanted to close this topic, but I think it's good for others to see. Half the people that are members on this site don't know how it was last summer...a fun place to be! Remember all of the excitement of the new catty and getting updates from all of the SU convention goers?! Staying up late to get the latest updates on the BIG SECRET....It was pure stamping and innocent fun .

I haven't been coming here nearly as much as I used to because I'm afraid that whatever I say will be taken wrong by someone (and I'm talking stamping topics!). I could start a thread called "have a nice day" and there would be someone offended because they had a bad day, or would think I'm being sarcastic and trying to cause trouble!

We can't win. :(

I don't mind general discussion and I believe that ECC is a good place for it...don't go there if you only want to talk about stamping. The problem I have is when people cannot respect other's opinions (especially when that's what they are asking for!). For the most part I try and stay out of the religious and political threads. I do have opinions on those topics, but don't like controversy! I've been known to comment in them occasionally, but back off when it gets heated.

It's a shame that this site has come to the point where people don't feel comfortable here. It used to be lighthearted conversation and excitement over new techniques and stamp sets.

I guess that's what happens when you have thousands of people playing in the same sandbox.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 09:17 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Been there, done that in the weeks leading up to last November's election. It was suggested, but never happened. Eventually things died down again. It's a cyclical thing. Me, I love a good debate -- bring it on!

About the repetitive newbie questions. I SOOO wish people wouldn't be so lazy about posting new threads when scrolling through two or three pages of topics or running a basic search would get an answer in five minutes or less. I realize some are new to computers and the internet, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority know the difference between a search engine and a car engine. Need ideas for stamping tumbled tiles? There are dozens of samples in the gallery under the title "Anything BUT a Card". Wondering what Gamsol is? Go to the main forum page (or better yet, Google!) and type it into the search bar. Instructions on a particular technique you saw on a card in the gallery? Beate has done a wonderful series of tutorials and there's a whole list of them on the Resources page, complete with step-by-step pictures. Wondering where to get a particular tool or accessory you saw in someone's card recipe? Click their name to get to their profile, click the "PM" or "e-mail" (if available) button and ask them personally! Want the newest Viking codes, or have no clue what people mean because for you a viking is a blond guy with horns on his helmet? Again, the search function is your friend. I could go on and on...

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Default Y'know.....

Quote:

That is really a good idea. It was mentioned before....but aaah to say the least..

Maybe we need to use more self control, or should I say "I" and not get led into a topic that I think could actually be a "non-hot topic one".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Quote:

Been there, done that in the weeks leading up to last November's election. It was suggested, but never happened. Eventually things died down again. It's a cyclical thing. Me, I love a good debate -- bring it on!

About the repetitive newbie questions. I SOOO wish people wouldn't be so lazy about posting new threads when scrolling through two or three pages of topics or running a basic search would get an answer in five minutes or less. I realize some are new to computers and the internet, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority know the difference between a search engine and a car engine. Need ideas for stamping tumbled tiles? There are dozens of samples in the gallery under the title "Anything BUT a Card". Wondering what Gamsol is? Go to the main forum page (or better yet, Google!) and type it into the search bar. Instructions on a particular technique you saw on a card in the gallery? Beate has done a wonderful series of tutorials and there's a whole list of them on the Resources page, complete with step-by-step pictures. Wondering where to get a particular tool or accessory you saw in someone's card recipe? Click their name to get to their profile, click the "PM" or "e-mail" (if available) button and ask them personally! Want the newest Viking codes, or have no clue what people mean because for you a viking is a blond guy with horns on his helmet? Again, the search function is your friend. I could go on and on...
Hi there.....please don't take this as an arguement because I'm not trying to make one. I understand that the search engine is great and easy and sometimes I have been guilty of posting a question without searching it first. Like yesterday, I posted a ? about the Roses in Winter set and after getting a response I felt silly because I could have searched it. However, on the flip side, perhaps someone reading through the posts, not wondering about how to stamp a perfect rose would read it and learn something they didn't even think of asking???? This happens to me all of the time! I read a post about something I didn't even think about before. Sorry if this seems like I'm arguing with you, I'm not. Just trying to point out something good about the repetitive questions. BTW, I practiced my roses last night and they turned out awesome!!!! Thanks to all the awesome information here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
About the repetitive newbie questions. I SOOO wish people wouldn't be so lazy about posting new threads when scrolling through two or three pages of topics or running a basic search would get an answer in five minutes or less.
I think this is exactly what the OP was talking about. I was one of those guilty of asking a stupid question. Mine was "What is the dirty dozen?". I have never been on any type of forum before and had no idea how they work. I wasn't that familiar with internet acronyms, nor a lot of the stamping techniques and supplies. It probably took me a bit to realize that I could search prior posts. I didn't know what Joseph's coat was, I think I asked about that as well. Now, a couple of months later I know a lot more thanks to the wonderful women here.

I reiterate that I LOVE the patience most of us here have for newbies. I for one will always answer questions with kindness and respect. This stamping sisterhood rocks!

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:11 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Hey schrades!!!! I just want to say it was lovely this morning to see you posting. I've always enjoyed your lighthearted banter. Hope all is well in you stamp life and that other dangerous life you lead in the medical field.
Happy Day!!!!
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Yup! I agree..

I never really venture into "the other side" of the forums, and I did this time and got sucked into it. SO sorry I did. When I came back here to the stamping related posts I felt much better. This is supposed to be a place where we are all just who we are without judgment. It really stinks when we get compelled to "join in" sometimes!

Have a great day all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

If you can't say something nice, "log off!"

I totlally LUV this site and ignore the minor ripples of the less than positive! Just my way!

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

If you can't say something nice, "log off!"

I totally LUV this site and ignore the minor ripples of the less than positive! Just my way!

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I love this site, and the people on who post. They are funny, interesting, and informative.

I was offended by the recent posts, regarding religion. I never expect anyone else to think the way I think. It would be nice if we did respect each other's religions, or any other choices people make.

I heard an interview last night with people of non-catholic religions regarding the Pope. They said he was trying to bring better understanding among the religions. I don't see any need to insult anyone.

Let's get back to friendly stamping. I've learned so much here, and spent many hours enjoying both stamping and other topics.
Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

About the search thing ~ I've been having TERRIBLE problems with the search engine on this site. I am bugging Britta constantly. I try not to, but when I can't find her I post a question. I don't see anything wrong with multiples. Sometimes it's how it has to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

I, for one, am glad for the everyday chit chat section. It lets me know where the non-stamping topics may be found if I so choose, and I don't go there if I want to stick to stamping.

There is a wealth of information here both stamping and non-stamping related (e.g., threads regarding pregnancy, medical conditions, television shows, etc.), as well as a network of people willing to lend support to those in need who may have no one nearby to talk to. Sometimes, people just like to connect with others, and SCS has allowed many to do that. I like to think of myself as a human being who likes to stamp, not just a stamper who happens to be human, and I appreciate the diversity I find on this site. I also know that I have the power to choose to stick to the gallery and stamp forums or find an interesting thread to join on some other topic. There are other websites out there that are all stamping, all the time. What makes this one unique is that we have forums to discuss other things as well.

Have a happy stamping day,

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the name of this forum (General Discussion) should be changed so that people know it is to be used for discussions about stamping only. :? Often I'll click on an unusual subject, wondering, "What does that have to do with stamping?" only to find out it has nothing to do with stamping! I think people often don't read the subtitle, so post here instead of to Everyday Chit Chat. I know that I've stumbled on some topics this way that I would have avoided otherwise.
I have no problem with people getting into lively debates, but I'd like to be able to avoid them when I want to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

holy cat and pajamas kids look where this has gone!!! this too has gone wild!!

schrades
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I think a lot of the newer people don't realize what this site was.
They come in to what it is now and see it as a place to get stamp ideas but also see it as a place to debate contriversial topics. Everyone else is doing it so it must be ok and so they participate. They don't know any better.
Sadly there are people that LOVE to debate issues, and because it is allowed here, they come more for the debating rather than the stamping portion.
I for one don't remember such HOT topics being posted in the good old days. Ya, we had our share of NON-stamp related topics but they were always kept clean and no one got offended or started threads just to get a rise out of the other members.
I believe it can be stopped if the creators/owners of SCS wanted it to. For now, people like me have to just accept the site for what it is and decide if it is something you want to be a part of or not.
I do love SCS. It is just sad to see that it is headed in a different direction from when I first found it.
I have met some truely wonderful and talented people from here that I would not have otherwise met. So for that, I thank SCS!
K~ no more friction from me. I am going back into hiding

I truely try my best to avoid
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #34  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kookie
I think a lot of the newer people don't realize what this site was.
They come in to what it is now and see it as a place to get stamp ideas but also see it as a place to debate contriversial topics. Everyone else is doing it so it must be ok and so they participate. They don't know any better.
Sadly there are people that LOVE to debate issues, and because it is allowed here, they come more for the debating rather than the stamping portion.
I for one don't remember such HOT topics being posted in the good old days. Ya, we had our share of NON-stamp related topics but they were always kept clean and no one got offended or started threads just to get a rise out of the other members.
I believe it can be stopped if the creators/owners of SCS wanted it to. For now, people like me have to just accept the site for what it is and decide if it is something you want to be a part of or not.
I do love SCS. It is just sad to see that it is headed in a different direction from when I first found it.
I have met some truely wonderful and talented people from here that I would not have otherwise met. So for that, I thank SCS!
K~ no more friction from me. I am going back into hiding

I truely try my best to avoid
I do recall a debate about chai tea and that was all in fun as well

I can see where you are coming from. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:25 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Sippin' a cup a chai tea right now!
O, to the good Ol' days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wonderful site!

To start off with, I have agree with some of things schrads and the others have said, about this being a place for stamping........BUT!
I also feel like it's a place to come and chit chat with others about other issuse's.

Some of Us may not have the adult company during the day..and comes here to talk. Share ideas, Ask for prayer, get in a laugh or too,

I for one "Love" this site. It's a great place to meet new friends and learn new tech's

Pretty much most of us...Have something in common, And that is either Stamping or Scrapping..Right?

Also Our Gallery is "Full" of talented People...

"Thanks" for Sharing your creative art work us!

I'm not here to offen anyone...But I am here to share and learn. Give idea's.

As for the forum, I really enjoy reading most of them...And I know that I have started some forums message that may have upset some of you all.

Thank for listening to me.....

Inky Hugs"

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Afraid, very afraid

Okay...here is my first post! I have been lurking here since I signed up. I've been too afraid to post, I don't want people to turn on me the way I have seen some people get nasty I do agree, I try to stay in the postive areas and read the positive posts, get out of areas that raise my blood pressure! There is enough negativity in the world, I don't need it in my relaxing stamping hobby

I did it, my first post...now I need to get the courage to actually put up a card!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been comming to SCS for about 7 mos. I don't know if I am lucky in what I choose to read or what but every so often I will see topics like this being concerned about other topics but I manage to miss those topics themselves! I love SCS and spen way too much time on here every week! I know some subjects are touchy but is it was all stamping all the time, we wouldn't get to post prayer requests or ask our friends on here for help when we need advice about our children. I have also seen topics where peopl post funny stories and sometimes they are just what I need. If we get rid of the bad, then we have to get rid of the good to and I would hat to see that happen. I know once or twice I have stumbled on a topic I did not want to read or participate in. The great thing about this site is you can leave a topic and ALWAYS find something great to read elsewhere on here. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!!!!

Happiness-what an unhappy person wants by changing all but themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanya
I don't know if I am lucky in what I choose to read or what but every so often I will see topics like this being concerned about other topics but I manage to miss those topics themselves!
oh good, it wasn't just me! I've seen several "where'd the positive spirit go?" posts recently and thought that maybe I was just getting so used to the negative that I wasn't even noticing it anymore. :shock: maybe I have just been more discerning (or lucky!) in which posts I bother opening in the first place. considering the alternative option, I think I'll choose this one. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Shelly, nice first post and will be watching for your cards now too, tee hee. oops sorry this really wasn't related to the subject but just wanted to say welcome to posting. And I just love the back button when topics aren't to my liking and I can back out of them and move on...
Reply With Quote Likes