Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customers: A question for you ~

If you are on the fence about signing up to be an SU demo, what is it that makes you want to be a demo? What brochures, info or ??? would want to see? Do you know what would make you say, I AM going to sign up! (Besides a great upline!) ;-)

Would you want all the details on "demo discounts"? Knowing that your upline would be there to support you? Looking forward to convention? Getting an early peek at new sets & promos? I'd love to know what customers feel. I personally NEVER thought I would sign up...and then I ran into a high school acquaintance, and went to her stamping event and signed up w/o even attending a workshop! It was a lot of fun...and that's what did it for me...guess I had been staying at home too long with the kids!! LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 10:41 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I have been sitting on the fence for a while now. To be perfectly honest, the $30 savings is not that big of a deal to me - but that is just me, I am sure there will be lots of people sign up in April because of that. To me, what would make me jump off the fence and sign, is if I had a stampers club together. My fear is not having enough orders to stay active and then spending all the money out of my pocket to STAY active. I did that with Pampered Chef for a while and also Creative Memories. So maybe information and ideas on how to get a club going?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I can tell you why I haven't signed up yet. And the reasons I will end up becoming a demo.
First, We are military, due to be reassigned to Europe (if we get our way). I have no idea whom I would sell to "over there".
Second, I am afraid that any money I did make, would be spent immediately back on myself, never having the chance to see my checking account.
Third, It's my understanding that I live in a super saturated area. With all the rain in the Pacific NW, it stands to reason people chose indoor craft activities.
Fourth, There is the obvious concern that I won't make quota, or I have to spend my own money to make up the difference.
Lastly, I can tend to be a perfectionist, the few times I have hosted, I get overwhelmed with things being "just right". Even when I have friends over to stamp, a novice will "mes up". I currently have a huge blue flower impression in my Yo Yo yellow.

If per chance, our orders are not to Europe, and we get reassigned state side, I will, upon our next base, sign up right away. What better oppurtunity to meet new people?
My upline would be from MD (my best friend) so there really isn't a lot of incentive there. She's a great gal, but in terms of showing me the ropes, 9 times out of 10, I am e-mail her some neat thing I discovered on here. (Perfect example: MommaK's paper test.)
I will sign up for the discount.
I will sign up for the pleasure I get from stamping, it truly is it's own reward.
I will sign up, because it's one of the few crafts that I receive instant gratification. Unlike quilting, cross stitch ,etc. that seem to take me forever.
I guess my best advice is that: SU! will sell itself. I, too, am one of the fools thinking I could beat the system and buy Michael's wanna be products. (Boy I am paying the price now, kicking myself for spending all that money on those dumb marjers that don't match any paper I own!) It probably goes back to your upline and how much you love the hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:11 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been a consultant (for another company) in the past and the things I would look for would be:

1) Encouragement and support from my upline
2) A good, steady customer base so that I would be able to make my minimums without having to pay the difference to meet them
3) Workshops with my upline and sidelines to learn and share new techniques

The discount in the starter kit is great, but if I can't make a go of it after that initial investment, or feel that I will have trouble establishing a customer base or not know my products or techniques then I would be more hesitant to sign up. So reassuing me that I would have follow-up support and customers would encourage me to sign up. I highly recommend that uplines have monthly meetings with their downline to share ideas and techniques. My upline was 300 miles away and I never met her in person, the training video was limited in scope and I didn't consider a customer base so my business didn't do well. I did, however, meet another consultant who lives in the same town and we shared ideas and supplies. We became very close friends and that friendship continues although neither of us are consultants now. We still love stamping together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:20 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDSDinks1993
I have been sitting on the fence for a while now. To be perfectly honest, the $30 savings is not that big of a deal to me - but that is just me, I am sure there will be lots of people sign up in April because of that. To me, what would make me jump off the fence and sign, is if I had a stampers club together. My fear is not having enough orders to stay active and then spending all the money out of my pocket to STAY active. I did that with Pampered Chef for a while and also Creative Memories. So maybe information and ideas on how to get a club going?
See this is me exactly. I'm more afraid that most of my orders would end up coming out of my pocket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:30 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I am afraid of all the paperwork associated with it...and filling out tax forms! Plus I am afraid of being able to demo to people I know (even having stamp camps...I don't think I would be able to demo in front of my friends!). And...would I have enough ideas to keep people interested!

I am SO on the fence. I go to a once-a-month club and have gotten 3-4 of my friends involved with the club but just don't know if I could be a demo!

Great question...Thanks for posting it to the discussion board. I look forward to reading everyone's responses!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:47 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

GOOD QUESTION!!! First of all, I have a very big suspicion that the area I live in is very saturated with SU! Demos so I'm not confident in building a customer base. Second, to sign up as a hobby demo, and with the saturation I'm assuming, I'd have a hard time spending $300 every quarter, its just not possible on my household income. I LOVE the demo I have right now and am pretty happy where I am with her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:56 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

For me, the main reason is probably that I already have everything that comes in the kit, with the exception of being able to switch out stamp sets. Secondly, I too would spend too much money trying to keep up my sales...I believe I would only do it to support my own habit...I don't really want to go out and look for people to sell too. Along that same line, at the stamp club I attend, we are having trouble coming up with ten people to belong and attend every month. The six of us who do come are VERY faithful in coming and we are all addicted to SU!.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

gwtwdebbi wrote
Quote:

....I am afraid of being able to demo to people I know (even having stamp camps...I don't think I would be able to demo in front of my friends!). And...would I have enough ideas to keep people interested!

This was one of my biggest fears. I started being a demo in front of a group I had stamped with for 3 years. And most of them had stamped far longer than me. Yes, it was scary! They were so great and encouraging and poked fun continually. They knew that humor was my biggest ally. SU gives you so many ideas through the magazine and website, that you actually have to pick and choose from so many.

Sassy Cassie wrote
Quote:

I can tend to be a perfectionist, the few times I have hosted, I get overwhelmed with things being "just right". Even when I have friends over to stamp, a novice will "mes up". I currently have a huge blue flower impression in my Yo Yo yellow.

This was a big issue for me, too. I had to tell myself - it's just paper or anything can be fixed. My husband had given me the whole marker set just before I signed up. Boy! was it hard to let others touch them. At the same time - sharing my "stuff" really was a freeing experience. I've had to work at not being such a fussy-budget about my things. And you know what? It really sets forth a more direct path to creativity. The tools are just tools - the result is the art that is so satisfiying.
I do have a versamark pad that is not shared with anyone....lol.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:09 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

That's my problem too--the business, tax end! I don't know how many of my friends say I should be a demonstrator! Parties would be no problem, cuz I love SU and doin' presentations would be a snap (I have a theatre background, so I'm kind of a nut), it's just numbers freak me out. Now, if I could just find a partner in crime to do it with...ha :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:12 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What has held me up most is the tax issue. To pay taxes on my 20% discount, as is required will really take a bite. Additionally, the state I will be selling from requires all sellers of in home products to file Business and Occupation tax with the state quarterly. The paper work for that can take hours and requires extra bookkeeping all along. Some companies cover the B & O for you but I have asked here several times and no one has said that SU will do that so I am assuming they are not answering because SU leaves it to the demo to do it. So, at this point I am still waiting on the fence too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:15 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Sassy Cassie

Sassy Cassie - you said you have a huge turquiose blob on your yoyo yellow - take a paper towel (or several) and just press into the ink pad until the blue comes off. The ink will absorb into the paper towel. You might need to reink your yellow, but at least it will be usable again! HTH!

Thanks for all the tips as to why people don't sign up. I'm an SU demo and I almost never ask people to sign up (obviously I have a lot of recruits - NOT!) In one instance, someone approached me and I have approached two other people ONLY because their personal sales were at or more than $300 each quarter.

As for me, I'm mostly hobby, so any money I make usually goes right back into SU. But I look at it like this - at least I don't spend any of my regular paycheck on it, so my hobby pays for itself. Otherwise, I'd be broke and have a rich demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

If someone has high personal sales and you recruit them, how much do you make? Do you make enough to make up for the loss of what you made off them to begin with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:19 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

DOT2DOT

If you will tell me what state you are in I will check with Stampin Up for you. Or you can get the TN from their website and check yourself if you have other questions that need to be answered before you make your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:21 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Could you just get the list of B & O states for which SU requires the demo to file on their own? I work out of a couple of states and also my sis might be interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:25 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I'm not thinking at all of becoming a demo (I'm a super new stamper and other reasons) but I had questions.

Some people mention being a SU! demo and it's business, and some as a Hobby Demo. On other threads it was said that SU! doesn't note the difference. So what *is* the difference? Do you still have to sell the same amount per quarter? Just wondered how it's different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:28 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, the quota is the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:52 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

This explains the differences between the types of demonstrators. The quotas and discounts are the same.

Stampin’ Up! Needs All Kinds

Of Demonstrators

Which demonstrator would you be?

Discount Demonstrator: Likes the idea of buying stamps for personal use at a 20% discount and occasionally sells to neighbors, relatives, friends, etc.

Short-Term Demonstrator: Sells for a short period of time to earn a specified amount of money and stops when the goal is reached.

Seasonal Demonstrator: Works hard at the business during September, October, and November for seasonal money and maintains minimum orders and sales during the balance of the year.

Hobby Demonstrator: Loves doing workshops and earning extra money when it’s convenient; works a lot some months and very little other months; likes to do workshops that are easy to book; doesn’t like to work too hard to book workshops.

Career Demonstrator: Views a Stampin’ Up! demonstratorship as a viable business with long-term career potential; pursues management and wants to move up the career ladder; loves attending Stampin’ Up! Events and has developed close social relationships with other demonstrators; works at her business in a consistent and outgoing manner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I'm considering taking the plunge, and here's what's holding me back:
1) I already have a lot of what's in the starter kit
2) Not super-confident of being able to meet the quota without my own $$
3) Not sure how far the 20% goes when you consider taxes (which I hadn't thought about until reading this), materials/supplies for workshops/parties/etc., and replacing used up/damaged supplies.

So...nothing that hasn't already been mentioned, but that's it for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

First of all, I was once a Mary Kay demo and that whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Secondly, I don't think I could make the $300/qtr quota w/o out some major work. If I were to become a demo, it would only be to support my hobby - not to work. Also, I really, really like my current demo (we were friends first) and she makes it worth my while to purchase from her and support her business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ditto to what LDSDinks and Sara Henton said exactly!! I am afraid of not having enough customers, I also am not too keen on public speaking but that is another issue...the tax situation, filing the schedule C, etc is what makes my dh nervous, especially since he is the one that does the taxes. If I knew I had a solid client base, people willing to actually attend stamp camps (not just say they will there and then flake out on me like they do when I host workshops) then I would sign up in a second...
to be honest, I haven't read all the other posts to this thread yet, but as soon as I put dinner in, I'm back to read what everyone else has to say...I'm glad I'm not the only one on the fence...as of this A.M. I was officially on the customer side and staying there...with the hopes that maybe next year I will feel more comfortable with it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would become a demo if I weren't already a CM consultant. I am just as passionate about Stampin Up as I am about CM. I love Stampin Up products and the quality of the products. I also love the fact that everything color coordinates!!

I think that the SU demo kit is an awesome value for the price. Also, the $30 off this month definitely makes it worthwhile for anyone considering becoming a demo. Do it!! I'm sure you won't regret it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

tinadoran - Wow thank you for the explanation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 02:28 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I am on my way to Germany and I have a friend who wants me to become a demo. I am waiting to see who or what is there first, I thought about doing it around here in Az, but I am afraid that I won't reach the quota. I have so many supplies from all different companies that it would be hard to only use one company. Having so many Michael's, Jo-Anns, and CraftsMart in this area, it's hard buying things without a coupon. I love SU stamps and all it's coordinating accessories, I'm glad that it sells itself. All in all the quota is what stops me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Default to be a demo for SU!

I just became a demonstrator at the end of January. I have only held 3 parties, but I have sold almost $1400 worth of stuff. It is really easy to sell such a quality product ladies! My most recent party was with my son's 1st grade teacher. So easy to set up because she has received many of my cards and gifts this year already, she just had to find out how to do these things. Also, I make my demo simple and fun. I give them a tour of the catalog, and then we do 2 projects. That is enough for people. They don't need to be overwhelmed.
I do buy things for my own sick obsession, but I have so much fun doing it. It is such a great outlet for a mother of 3 wild boys.
Don't worry about the taxes, just keep track of all you spend, and all you make. Turbo tax will do the rest. Trust me, it is very simple to do.
And my parting words...
You will never know until you try it. The worst that will happen, you will get a bunch more stuff to use if it doesn't work out.
Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I'm giving myself until next January during sell-a-bration to sign up. The deal is, if I'm still as excited about it as I am now I will sign up. Of course, I could have already saved a ton of money if I had signed up to begin with but I'm not interested in it being a short-term thing. I have tended to jump from one hobby to another over the years, so I just want to make sure it is what I really want to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:38 PM   #27  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Coolio list of all the kinds of demonstrators!!

Yes, I'm sorry to say that I probably have confused people by calling myself a hobby demo as though there's any difference.

I will never earn the cruise and I don't feel any inclination to attend convention, I just love to stamp and was spending over $50 a month. I have one other friend that was doing the same, we tossed a coin, I'm the demo. We have NO trouble meeting the minimum and even get hostess rewards almost every month.

I really admire the career demos that are gung ho about it. They are enthusiastic and love to stamp and share that.

And don't worry about the taxes. SU! makes up monthly activity statements that you can print yourself, toss in your file cabinet, and figure out what goes into the computer when you do your taxes for your state.

Oh yeah - someone already mentioned this but SU! is FULL of ideas, their monthly book always has great ideas for demonstrations, from easy to advanced. They really take care of us. They HAVE to, where would they be without their sellers??????

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I'm sitting on the fence because I see other demo's selling off their non su stamps and supplies. I can't imagine just having to stick with one line when there are millions of other stamps out there begging for me to buy them. I also seems like a headache only using SU products for everything I do. i love stamping with all my stamps, and feel that being loyal by biting off your nose to spite your face is just foolish. It should not be like getting married.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, this subject is a great one for me. I'm on the fence big time! The sole reason I want to become a demo is for the monthly magazines and extra ideas. I LOVE stuff like that.
The only thing that keeps me from doing it is my demo. I really like her and even though she is encouraging me to become a demo, I know she's better off with me staying a customer. What to do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwtwdebbi
I am afraid of all the paperwork associated with it...and filling out tax forms! Plus I am afraid of being able to demo to people I know (even having stamp camps...I don't think I would be able to demo in front of my friends!). And...would I have enough ideas to keep people interested!

I am SO on the fence. I go to a once-a-month club and have gotten 3-4 of my friends involved with the club but just don't know if I could be a demo!

Great question...Thanks for posting it to the discussion board. I look forward to reading everyone's responses!

Afraid of being able to demo to people you know (and even more so to people you don't know) is a very understandable concern--especially if you're a shy person like me. I have NEVER been one who wants to be in front of people, and I still don't really like "all eyes on me." However, you have plenty of resources available to you and as long as you enjoy what you do, you will have NO problem talking about it! Trust me on this one!!!!! As for resources, my upline was NOTHING to me--had no contact, no get-togethers, NOTHING--and she's not even a demo anymore. But . . . I was fortunate to join a group of Demonstrators, and they were my resource. Besides, the SU web site is helpful and so is SCS. You may not always demo projects that all the attendees/customers will be interested in, but they'll get something out of each demonstration. They may not even tell you how helpful you've been, but they'll know it. If these are your only issues, give it a whirl. You'll have until the end of September to get established and meet your first quota and even if you decide it's just not for you, what have you lost? You get to keep the products that were in your starter kit, many of which you get to choose. I have NEVER just started a conversation with a stranger about what I do, nor have I given much effort toward boosting my business (I'm a hobby demo). I would love to be able to do that, but it's just not me. In the year that I've been a demo, I've never even tried to recruit any of my customers! As far as that goes, I'm not really much of a salesperson either--my philosophy is that even though being a demonstrator is somewhat of a "job" for me, the products I demo are for a hobby and they (the products) basically sell themselves. You show someone what they can do with the products, and they decide if that fits their style, interest, etc. It just never occurred to me, but I do plan to encourage them to consider it--especially during this month.

SU really is a GREAT company to work with, and they really listen to their demonstrators. Just when you think such a successful company could treat their demonstrators however they want, SU will surprise you. One small example of what I mean has to do with the Stampin' Around Wheels Index. The current catalog didn't have that index showing all the available wheels because the scrapbooking products took its place in the catalog. Right after I got my catalog last July, I was so disappointed that there was no index. Apparently, other demos were upset about that, too, and SU produced and made available to demos an index. This happened, I believe, before last year's convention even ended, and it happened before I even had a chance to beg SU for this index.

HTH.

Regina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #31  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Aww, hookedonstampin, you don't HAVE to sell your old non-SU! stuff, and you can use it, you just can't demo it. I have seen some wonderful cards on other sites by demos using non SU! sets.

That said, I think what happens a lot of the time is, once you start using SU! and realize how the sets coordinate, you use many of your other stamps less and less. I have a drawerful I rarely use and I'm only a "hobby" demo!

You also find that a lot of the supplies can be had cheaper with your discount, or you'll get more free stuff, and why pay for it when you can get it free, right??

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

I just signed up today, :lol: and the final push for me was borrowing my demos "demo manual" and reading through that. I have sold other home based businesses and it seems like once you get your hand book, there are a lot of rules and regulations that really bind you and keep you from making your business truly your own, but you're stuck...
I do wish there was a different "catagory" for us who just really want to be hobby demos. Has there ever been talk of that? Maybe a smaller kit and maybe a little less discount but no quota?
I stayed on the fence for the last two or three years, but I just decided to go for it. If it doesn't work out, I'll still end up with some pretty cool stuff. We just moved and I do not know ANYONE to speak of (I am pretty shy too) and to find out that I have untill Sept. to meet my first quota was a big boost in my decision. By then no doubt I'll know people! I say just go for it. With the value of the kit, you really can't loose!

If you've just signed on too and want to bounce ideas, etc off eachother, e-mail me! [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoberKitty
First of all, I was once a Mary Kay demo and that whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Secondly, I don't think I could make the $300/qtr quota w/o out some major work. If I were to become a demo, it would only be to support my hobby - not to work. Also, I really, really like my current demo (we were friends first) and she makes it worth my while to purchase from her and support her business.
Hey! I used to be a MK consultant, too! SU is so totally different! Most importantly, there is no inventory! When I left MK, I still had $1500 in product to get rid of!!

Talk with your demo. It really is a great company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Now that I've asked the question, Is it out of place to....

...offer some suggestions?? Customers, I am thinking of you, and not trying to recruit you, but offer helpful advice....I don't want to post anything if it might be taken wrong or seems like I am looking to sign you up - that's not my intent.

I think the concerns mentioned here are very valid and hopefully are useful to both demos and customers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 05:58 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Thanks to a_place_for_ink for starting this thread! It's great to hear the concerns of future demos and others sharing how they dealt with those same concerns. SHARING is what it is all about!
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPLN4
tinadoran - Wow thank you for the explanation.
You are welcome
But I can't take credit for it - I am pretty sure I came across it on SCS awhile ago.
Reply With Quote Likes