Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2004, 03:43 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts
Default What do you SU fans buy at Michael's or Joann's w/ coupon?

PLEASE LEAVE IN GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA - THANKS!

I'm a new SU demo and I'm careful about what I buy that I can't use while demo'ing my SU products.

So what do YOU (demos or non-demos) buy at Michael's or Joann's with your coupon? I bought an Ott light (small desk size) recently and I love that.

Ideas??

Susan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 03:47 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couluzzle templates or fleece because I love to make No-sew- blankets!

SCS member #7026
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 03:53 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Xyron refills
Member #1237
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 03:54 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi! Even though SU has affordable tags, I bought a Sizzix machine and tag dies. Now I can make lots of tags with SU paper.

At AC Moore, whenever they have a 40% sale on their dies, you can special order as many dies as you want and get the 40% off!

I also buy heat transfer paper. You can stamp on it with classic ink, then iron it on to shirts and fabric and the colors are vibrant!

Finally, I do buy fibers in the knitting section. I love fancy fibers!

Since I became a demo, my spending really has ben cut down (outside of SU orders)!

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 04:03 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,037 Likes on 477 Posts

I got my paper cutter there for 50% off, but the new one I ordered through Stampin Up because I wasn't sure which model it was. I buy fibers, have gotten a couple of Versamark pads and pens there, as well. Oh, and when Stampin Up was selling mostly the Marvy punches, I would get them there with a coupon, too. Now there are only two punches that aren't Stampin Up, I think. But after becoming a demo, I stopped spending too much money there, I save it for stuff I can demo. I never spent too much on stamps, because I didn't think the quality of theirs was as good, and I tried some other inks and liked the SU ones better. But I still go in there and look around for an hour, even if I don't get anything! lol :lol:
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 04:12 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

And on a side note, I'm not sure if they do this all over the country but, here you can use Michael's coupons at Jo-Ann's and vice versa. I tend to use my coupons on Making Memories accessories that I love, love, love -- buckles, ribbon, charms, staples, etc.

"Love is never wasted. It may not be reciprocated,
it may not be fully appreciated,
but it is never wasted."
Neal A. Maxwell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 04:16 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

My craft store spending has been cut WAY down since becoming a demo.

I'm still an idea book junkie so I use my coupons for stamping and scraping magazines that I don't have a subscription for.

Sizzix dies, generations paper keeper products, pearl-ex and other non-SU stuff that I want to try out.

HTH

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 04:32 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have decided to only buy things at outside sources that we don't sell. Everyone needs to make decisions for their own business, of course. This is my reasoning: last year I missed the $20K sales award by not that much money. If I had bought my brayers, foam inserts, cello bags, gable boxes, cutter, cutter blades, punches, Hermafix transfer refills, and most importantly my mono adhesive refills through SU! it's very possible I would have hit that $20K. Why should the credit for my sales go to Michael's or Joanne's? I'd far rather that I get credit for them! I don't consider this to be stupid at all. Sure, buying with that coupon saved me money in the short term, but in the long run it hurt my business. So this year, I will be spending my money with SU!

What I do buy at Michael's or Joanne's are Sissix dies and Xyron refills for the most part. The water brushes that are sold at other sources are not the same make as the ones we sell and they are not as good. I know this because I have been using these brushes in my workshops for some time and I have tried them all.

What I have found also is that if you want your customers to buy SU! products, you have to use them yourself. Unless your customers see, touch, and use the products you sell, they will very rarely buy them. ANd yes, I think my customers are aware of Michael's and their 40% coupons. I don't bring it up and I don't tell them where they can get things cheaper. I figure they are big girls and can take care of themselves. If they bring it up, I say, "Sure you can get that cheaper at that other place, but they won't show you how to use it. If you still want to buy that item from them, go ahead, but be sure to buy these stamps that are only available through SU! from me with the money you save!"

This is my opinion and what I have found to be true for me after being in this business for over a year now. You, of course, may choose to do what you find good for your business.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 04:33 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

What a fun topic!

I used to spend fortune when I first started being a demonstrator at Michaels/JoAnns/Hobby Lobby. I admit I even used their cheap paper (not to demo with but to make my own cards to send to friends and customers).

Now I hardly ever go because I realized that I was not saving much money, especially if I go with my 7 year old who wants to buy a thing or two for herself!

I think as a demo, I am saving just as much money buying from SU and getting the sales (to get Great Rewards, free Minis, etc)! For example, this month if you order $350, you get $60 worth of free stuff - that is 17% of $350. You then get your 20% instant income and volume rebate, so we are talking over 40% here. Yes, we have to pay 10% shipping but then the hostess stamp sets for Level 2 is worth at least $20 and if you make it $400, you get the mini catalog hostess set...... Okay, am I hooked or what?

So what do I use my coupons for? I buy magazines.

Happy Stampin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 04:39 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Danielle- I LOVE making memories products too. They have become my new favorites.

I don't buy stamp related items at Michaels or JoAnns.

I do however buy books, and ribbon at these places. I am a sucker for ribbon. I love every kind. I really like the gingham checks and patterned stuff. Yesterday I bought lady bug patterned ribbon to use on card front for one of the swaps I'm in this month.

I do however love to look around in both stores but rarely buy anything craft related with their coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 04:47 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I just went to Michael's yesterday and bought the new Fiskars paper trimmer that SU just starting carrying. My old one wasn't cutting straight any more. Of course I used my 40% off so it only cost $14.95, a whopping savings of 10 dollars. A deal I just couldn't pass up. So you would think that I would take my 10 bucks and leave the store but NOOOOOOOOOO I had to but some eyelash yarn so I can knit a scarf for a Christmas gift, which by way was also on sale. So now my net savings is down to $2, you know how Michael's has the candy at the registers, well DD & DS helped me spend the rest of my "savings".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 04:51 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I buy pricier items like the Xyron. Just picked the new one up for 1/2 off at Joanns.com. Today is the last day to use the 50% off coupon. The code is AUGFSE450
Member #7840!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 05:02 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Default thinking about sizzixx...(sp?)

I'm thinking about getting that machine..do you use it a lot?? i just realized what it was...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 05:02 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Since I'm a long ways from one, I have only used a 40% off coupon at Michael's twice......once I got a Heat gun, the other a Paintbox pad.

I've found that most times they don't have the items I want in stock anyhow. And.....I will buy whatever we carry to give myself the sales, whenever possible.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 05:09 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well - I do not have a craft store within an hour drive of here SO that being said I do not buy much at all at those stores.
ALTHO in the past I have purchased the fiskars crimper (? is that what it is called??) on a weekend retreat in March this year. (last time I was actually there when there was a coupon).
I do buy things at Walmart tho - Mainly ribbon, fibers (yarn) and things for my daughter to use when she is "crafting with Mom" as she says it! I also get the rims of white paper at walmart for little of nothing and I dont mind if she uses it too! My SU paper is all for me!! Office Depot also has some paper but it seems to be a bit more costy and I would rather use SU for the quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 05:14 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Default Re: thinking about sizzixx...(sp?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by janicemarz
I'm thinking about getting that machine..do you use it a lot?? i just realized what it was...
Haven't used it yet b/c this will be my first machine. I imagine making laminated book marks and laminating my idea sheets so that they can be passed around without getting them messed up. I did see a post on this board of someone else who used a Xyron. It would be a good topic to start "What do you use your Xyron For?"
Member #7840!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

[quote="theksmom"]I just went to Michael's yesterday and bought the new Fiskars paper trimmer that SU just starting carrying. My old one wasn't cutting straight any more. Of course I used my 40% off...quote]

Is this the exact same trimmer or does the SU one have some identifying or extra features? I need to get a new one but don't want to "Micheal it" if the difference is obvious.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 05:38 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I think the SU cutter is exactly the same but the color is black, while the one you get at Michaels or JoAnn's is blue. The color is the only difference. HTM

Stampin' Hugs
Charlee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 05:54 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

I try to stick with what I can't buy through SU or things that are just "need now" items.

I bought my paper cutter because I wanted a full table top model. When you have CT, that little one really hurts. I buy my cutter blades from them. I now have to buy Raffia from them. I buy brads that we don't sell ~ square ones and stars. I buy magazines. Mentally looking back, I really don't buy a lot of stuff from them anymore. I did buy my PE there, but that was because I could get 12 colors for the price of 2 from our catalog. Now that we have the stacks, it's much better and unnecessary. I guess you could say I buy urgent or uncarried SU items. I have all the big stuff except a Xyron. So that will probably be something I'll look into in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 05:58 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I buy Scapbooking Magaizines with the coupon... they provide great inspiration and have taken my Scrapbooking with SU supplies to a new level!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 06:08 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Default i have the xyron machine.. (sp?)

I haven't used it yet..i know i can laminate with it...but i don't know what else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 06:14 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

[quote="stardust"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by theksmom
I just went to Michael's yesterday and bought the new Fiskars paper trimmer that SU just starting carrying. My old one wasn't cutting straight any more. Of course I used my 40% off...quote]

Is this the exact same trimmer or does the SU one have some identifying or extra features? I need to get a new one but don't want to "Micheal it" if the difference is obvious.

Thanks!
Buyer beware!

I did just what Stardust did and bought the trimmer at Micheal's thinking I'd save a few dollars using the coupon. I ended up taking it back because it cuts/scores 1/8" off. Not worth the savings, if you ask me. I don't know why that's different, but I do know that the trimmer that I bought from SU, while looking just the same as the blue one except for the color, definately trims right on the measure. And that's worth the cost in my book!

I've heard the same thing about the Micheal's version from various other people as well, so I'm sure it's not just an isolated case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 06:19 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree wit ChiChi, my money is going SU! I benefit from it in the long and short run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 06:22 AM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't buy much from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I never buy any stamps there. They cost WAY too much. I only buy fun fur, gel, mini Christmas ornament balls and wood pieces for making jewelry.

Those items are not available from SU. I purchase all my paper,adhesives,rubber stamps, ribbons, beads from SU. If SU sells it, I buy it from SU.

Actually, would you believe it!!! There is a stamp store here in town called "Dragonflies & Dreams" or something like that... I'VE NEVER BEEN IN IT!!!!!! Don't need to go there. I buy from SU.

Michelle
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 06:47 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I buy refills for my monoadhesive and the Hermafix transfer with the coupon.

Like others, I also use it for Scrapbooking magazines for the ideas.

I was going to go to Michaels today to see if they carry the aquapainter (after trying it at a meeting last weekend, I would love to demo at a workshop on Friday!) - does anyone know if they carry it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 06:51 AM   #27  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,037 Likes on 477 Posts

Steph - they carry **some,** but not the same ones. Everyone I've seen post that have used both like ours better! I don't have the Michaels brand, but I confess I've been VERY tempted to just buy them to play with because mine is still on backorder from July 19th!! I really want them, so I can play.
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 06:57 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Michael's carries a type of aqua painter. I bought the one there to try it out with the floor wax. Two reasons ~ I could take it back and it was $3 with coupon. I like it so I'll order ours for full price.

As for the cutter. Our cutter is made by Fiskars. We've always sold it as a convenience for customers who don't have a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby close. In the town I work in, the nearest either is 30 miles away so we are more convenient. But like I said, I wanted a rotary cutter, so I went through Tall Mouse to get mine, Staples also sells the same cutter I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 07:00 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

I use my coupons mainly for getting a new magazine or one of the idea books related to stamping or scrapping. Sometimes for a cool skein of fiber/yarn. I did buy the Crop N Style Stamp Store awhile back and absolutely love it. My kids and hubby gave me a Michaels gift card for mother's day and I combines it with a coupon so got it for just a few dollars from my own pocket! I love it.

Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 07:12 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Goodness, this thread has been interesting to read.
In the past I purchased much more at Joann's and Michaels than I do now. I do use their coupons for ribbon, embossing powder, and replacement blades for my cutter. I did purchase a aquapainter from Michaels a few weeks ago, but haven't used it yet. I also purchase white pens...I love them to write on my dark colored cardstock. I wish I could purchase more sizzix dies there, but they usually don't have the dies I want and need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 07:26 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

I just went to Michaels this last Saturday and bought the 11 piece crafters tool kit. I used my 40% off coupon and got this set for $19.95. It did not come with the paper-piercing pad, paper-piercing template and setting mat. I already have a setting mat, and I am sure that I will be able to find the other two items and use future 40% off coupons. So far I am very happy with this item. I have also in the past bought my Fiskars paper cutter using my coupon and my heat tool. I am not a demo, so at the present time don't feel like I have to have all SU products. I won't deviate away from SU stamps though. I do have a few that I have gotten here and there, but SU stamp sets are my favorites and main ones that I use.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 07:43 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a non-demo, so shopping at Michael's with a 40% (or a rare 50%) coupon is a real savings for me over SU's price + s&h. I'm a faithful buyer of SU stamps, dazzling diamonds glitter, and CS!

My stamp camp friends and I all updated our paper cutters by buying them at Michaels 50% off (they are actually Fiskars brand...not Michaels) and we've been totally satisfied with them. They cut very accurately and the new measurements are GREAT! It is the same cutter SU carries now.

I also buy refills (Xyron & Mono Adhesive), versamark, embossing powders, and embellishments when I need them and have a coupon. Wish they carried Quickutz dies!!

I love my SU demo and am a faithful customer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 08:21 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Ooooh I have just started with Quickutz and am thrilled that my local store has them for 30% off all the time. Have you seen the zoo set?

I use my coupons on.....well nothing much lately. I have to save my money for new stamps. It seems that I dont find anything I want when I go to Michaels. But, I meet some nice stampers when I give my coupons away as I am leaving the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 08:23 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Default Coupons

I used to work at the local Michaels, in B.C. and I bought tonnes of crappy cardmaking stuff. Cheap cardstock, ink pads, stamps, stamp cleaner, you name it I probably bought it. Now that scrapyak has got me hooked on SU stuff, I hardly ever go in that evil store. Having worked there, I really don't want to help the psycho manager meet her sales quotas. Out of 75 people that started working there last Oct. less than 6 of them are left.
I am sending in my Demo papers on the 15th of this month and then I will be going in Michaels even less.
I did buy the fiskers papercutter and mine is also off buy less than an 1/8 of an inch. I should have taken it back because now Michaels has a time limit on returns. I found some 6x6 K&Co. page protectors that were marked down and bought my daughter stickers with the coupon. I really needed a new blade for my paper cutter but of course, they were sold out.
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 09:10 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually use my coupons for magazines. As a Demonstrator I am committed to using only SU products that I can sell to my customers. When I read the post about the 50% off at Joann's online I bought an Ott lite. Been wanting one for a long time. Half price was too good to pass up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 11:44 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

I try to buy as much stuff as I can from SU! I do get my mono refills from Viking tho. I will be ordering a Carl Rotary Cutter so that I can use the deco blades, still havent figured out how to use the deco scissors correctly. lol I buy some embellishments from online as I hate to pay the prices here and even with shipping it is still cheaper. I just bought some MM embellishments for some scrapbook pages I have in mind and I paid about 2-3 bucks each and here I would have paid 7-8 bucks each. No thanks! I do buy what I can from myself as I am the only one really making my minimums right now. I love our products and feel that most of our stuff is above average.

I did take advantage of the 50% coupon with Joanns tho to get a xyron. It was one of those things that I wanted but it was low on my want list but with 50% it was only about $30 with shipping. I could not pass that up.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

I bought three Niji Aquabrushes at Michaels, and I love them. They look exactly like the ones SU! sells except for the color of the cap. For goodness sakes, SU!'s are probably made by Niji! And the Fiskar's cutters are Fiskar's cutters no matter where you buy them. SU! certainly doesn't have their own manufacturing plant for things like that.
There are certain things like stamps, embossing powder, and cardstock that I won't buy at Michaels because the quality isn't as good. I'm all for brand loyalty, especially for those of you who are demonstrators, but I'm for saving money wherever I can. The less I pay for any one item, the more items I can buy! Stamps, that is! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I am not a demo, but I use the coupon for a Xyron machine as well. I use them all the time for like decorative scissors and supplies like that. Its a great offer I could not turn down!

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 12:06 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my Xyron machine, you can't take it from me! I love the sticker sheets! I used them to make the backs of my cardstock sticky for collage art cards, and also to make my composition books. The adhesive can't be beat!

Milette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2004, 02:04 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

I just bought at JoAnns the WHALE OF A PUNCH - tag punch. much faster and less expensive than the SU! tag sheets. I will still use the tag sheets in my workshops...but at home the tag punch is much more accessable and I can make a tag with any color!!!!

I love it!!!

FYI - the Whale Of a Punch punches are made by EK Success. EK Success also makes the SU! punches.
Reply With Quote Likes