Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2005, 03:52 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any demos give gift with purchase like this?

I would ask this in the demo forum but I don't have my demo number yet! Hopefully by the end of this week.

I was thinking about doing a gift with certain level purchases. For instance:

If you spend 50.00 you can choose one from the following:
Catalog and Idea Book for 5.00
one free marker
free 2 Way Glue Pen
3 free sponge daubers

If you spend 100.00 you can choose one from the following:
Free Catalog and Idea Book
free Classic Ink Pad
free package metal tags
free Double Circle Punch

I was hoping this would inspire people to get their orders to a certain level. Anyone had any success with a program like this?

Marzee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 04:07 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't do anything, with the exception of giving a free catalog to those who purchase $100 or more, but even that is unadvertised.

Whatever you do, just be careful. It's very tempting, especially in the beginning, to offer lots of incentives, but they will eat into the money you make (which can be a big problem, especially when you are just starting out) and it will be hard to take those incentives away if you decide to do away with them later on.

You would probably do better to focus on excellent customer service and great projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 04:12 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I offer an ink pad with a $50 order, add a wheel at $100.

I realize this cuts deeply into my profit, but I'm really just a hobby demo, not trying to make money. I just like to get my volume up so I can earn more free stuff!

I can see how this would be a bad idea for someone trying to make a business out of SU.
And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 04:30 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
There is a forum dedicated to ALL you SU demos. It is designed for us to "talk shop" in. Please post all business related topics there.

click on this link to be brought to the User Groups page.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

One of the options in the drop down list is the Demo's Only forum...it is an amazing resource for us to use and to keep "our little demo secrets" in LOL

We are trying to keep business and customer topics separate and I would really appreciate your help with this! Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 04:37 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I won't be allowed to joing the demo forum until my paperwork goes through. As I said in my original post, if I could I would have posted this question there.

I was just excited about planning my new business. Sorry if I broke any rules by posting this.

Marzee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 04:47 AM   #6  
REDHEADS RULE

Location: In a Palace with MY Prince Charming, and three beautiful servants!!
Default I offer

A free Classic Ink Pad with Every $50 order. So if they spend $100 they get 2 classic ink pads. They love this as it is a great way for them to build their supplies and the ink pad collection all at the same time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 04:47 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Marzee, your question was valid -- it's hard to be in these days before we become official as demos! It seems we have more questions than ever, and no "appropriate" forum to ask them! I'm also just now signing up, and my mind is racing with possibilities! So don't worry about breaking any rules, I'm glad to be joining you as a new demo. Good luck to us all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 04:47 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Marzee
Do not be upset. I know the excitement of getting it all together before you have that number!!! LOL
Your question is one that would be BEST in the Demo Forum, but not having that # yet can really be a hinderance can't it! LOL
My suggestion would be feel free to email me or any other demo that you see on the boards with any and all questions and we can either give you some ideas, advice or such or we can point you in the direction of someone who can help.
Have a TERRIFFIC Tuesday!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:05 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all the tips!

I'll have to think about if this is something I want to do all the time or maybe as a starting out special for my first Open House or something.

See on the demo board soon!

Marzee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:22 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Hey Marzee
Do not be upset. I know the excitement of getting it all together before you have that number!!! LOL
Your question is one that would be BEST in the Demo Forum, but not having that # yet can really be a hinderance can't it! LOL
My suggestion would be feel free to email me or any other demo that you see on the boards with any and all questions and we can either give you some ideas, advice or such or we can point you in the direction of someone who can help.
Have a TERRIFFIC Tuesday!!!
As a Non-Demo person - just a customer - I for one, like to hear what other demos offer.

I love hearing questions like this on this board and the answers.

JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:25 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: Do any demos give gift with purchase like this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzbar71
I would ask this in the demo forum but I don't have my demo number yet! Hopefully by the end of this week.
Marzee
:oops: :oops:
I am just not totally awake yet and did not even see that you said that. I was just trying to post the friendly reminder Keri had given to all us demos. Sorry :oops:
My intent was not to offend anyone - just to remind. I guess I need another cup of coffee
Have a great day
Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:35 AM   #12  
The Digi-Freak

Personally, I would start out offering FEW if ANY other incentives.

If a person wants to stamp, incentives aren't what will keep them stamping.... .STAMPING is!!

I think we should have a bit more faith that the product can sell itself!!

I used to do 10 for $10 classes and give away door prizes AND free cards at the party. I made SO little on them it was unreal.

Now I am doing 6 for $10 classes with NO door prizes and NO free cards. Guess what? NO complaints! It was a year between when I offered the original classes and this series, and no one even NOTICED.

No one felt gypped, because they felt my stuff was WORTH the $. And it is.

Don't sell yourself or your products short! Giving away free stuff devalues your time and your products!

JMHO

Kimberly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:43 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Or you could state the incentive as a one time only special...so that your customers don't expect it every time. You want to get them hooked and everyone likes free stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

If you wanted to offer a special do it as a promo for you becoming a demo and only run it for a certain time. It can be costly to do specials all the time. SU runs great specials throughout the year and if you wanted year round specials create your own for those months that don't have anything.

HTH and Good Luck!
Bridget
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 06:00 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I appreciate non-demos or demo-want-to-be's or demo's waiting for their number to continue posting questions like this for ALL to see. I keep trying to decide whether or not I would like to be a demo and questions like this help me. I know you demo people like to keep some of the "trade secrets" on the demo-only board, but all your wonderful expertise and options here really is beneficial to all SCS! I know this isn't a popular statement, but sharing with everyone on the General Discussion board is very helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 06:26 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Default Do any demos give gift with purchase like this?

I've been a demo for almost 6 years and found that with the many other demos in the area it is almost a must to offer something extra to get and keep customers.
I offer a buy one get one free deal with a certain amount order - it's usually an item that isn't too costly, I try to keep it around $5.95 or less. The designer papers are a big hit with my scrapbook customers. They always place an order over $50 to get the deal.
When one of my family members has a birthday, I offer 10 or 20% off any one item in the catalog for the day or sometimes I run it for a month so my stamp class attendents can get in on the deals too.
My upline told me a couple years ago if you can afford it, do it.
She went through the catalog and found all the items under $3.95, then $5.95 and so on....that way she knew what she could offer for her customers. It has worked out well for me and keeps them coming back again and again.
If you want to ask me anything else......just email me. I'm happy to share with others.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 06:33 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

You know...I have to say that when my demo (love her) does offer an incentive...like any red/white/blue classic stamp pad with a 50 dollar order...I always spend it. But I probably would anyway! I doesn't matter if there is a special or not...I'm always gonna spend the bucks! I LOVE my stampin'.

A.

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 06:43 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My demo rotates what she does but no matter how small the order, we get something in our bag. For smaller orders we usually get a packet of 3 handmade cards from her. At Christmas we got a little bag of a dozen gift tags. After about $40 she starts adding little stamps, daubers, etc. After $100 she has thrown in small sets and other things. Also each time you order $100 worth (she keeps a running total) you get a coupon that says buy one set of stamps and get the second set 1/2 off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 06:46 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

gwtwdebbi, this is just my opinion and i'm sure it differs from the opinion of others but i think it's not so much about keeping "trade secrets" (LOL i can't help but laugh every time i say that!) as it is that every demo runs her (his) business a little differently. what works for one person might not for another. sometimes innocent posts like this can turn into people getting upset (not just demos either, but customers whose demos do or don't do various things) because it can turn into someone feeling they have to defend the decisions they've made on running their business. or a customer feels their demo isn't doing enough for them compared to what someone else offers.

for demos who have customers that visit the site, customers may want to know why they don't do what so-and-so does? some offer a lot of creative ideas, others have clubs and classes, others do a lot of incentives and freebies--many people use a combination while others do something entirely different! everyone wants a great deal but every demo is in a different position on what they can afford to provide. someone who's established is in a better position to offer freebies than someone who's new and struggling to make any kind of profit. someone with small children at home might not have the time to offer a lot of classes and clubs. someone who is new to stamping may not have a lot of super creative ideas and techniques she can whip up for customers at a moments notice. it's just different for everyone.

so i don't believe asking that these sorts of things not be posted in general discussion has anything to do with keeping secrets--more of a preventative measure to keep the peace and respect the right of demos to run their business in whatever way works for them. the point isn't to exclude anyone, just to keep posts where they are most appropriate.

if you have questions about becoming a demo--i'm sure you could pm any number of the demos on this forum and they'd be more than happy to talk with you! a post that says you'd just like a demo to contact you so you can ask a few questions would likely generate several messages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 07:04 AM   #20  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

sent you a pm
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 07:21 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Naryjane, that was very well put!! Everyone is different and runs their business differently. I have some strong opinions on what business (not hobby) demos should do as far as customer service/keeping customers informed, and now as a demo (just signed up) it'll be my turn to step up to the plate. I plan to imitate the best things my previous demos did (and not incidently, avoid doing some of the things the not-so great ones did that ticked me off!).

As far as incentives go, I did love getting small incentives/gifts from some previous demos (not all did this), so I am planning on doing that, but that is just ME---no one else has to !!

I do like to see topics like this though-- it gives me different ideas (such as giving the tags or cards instead of product-- love that one!).

julia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 07:25 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not a demo, "just" a customer, but I appreciate the catalogs mostly. I for one would not expect you to carve into your profits if you are a demo to make money. However, if you wanted, how about little grab bags with just a few tempting samples of some eyelets, a bit of cord or ribbon, and maybe a few pre-cut cardstock samples? Any freebee is a good freebee, and maybe that way wouldn't hurt your wallet too much, and would tempt your customers to order the full size products!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystamps
I'm not a demo, "just" a customer, but I appreciate the catalogs mostly. I for one would not expect you to carve into your profits if you are a demo to make money. However, if you wanted, how about little grab bags with just a few tempting samples of some eyelets, a bit of cord or ribbon, and maybe a few pre-cut cardstock samples? Any freebee is a good freebee, and maybe that way wouldn't hurt your wallet too much, and would tempt your customers to order the full size products!
Hmmmm will have to keep that in mind!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 07:46 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I hold stamp classes and do 3 projects, usually cards, for $5. I don't push sales, if they buy something they have a chance at a door prize. Then I can get my paper replenished that I use with the free merchandise. If they don't get a door prize, they get an incentive stamp or 6 inspiration sheets. I put what they get on the tag that I make to go on the bag. And they save those tags! I'm hoping that SU gets new incentive stamps this year, that is my main expense. I also give free S&H during their birthday month, just an incentive for them to buy or have a party. I also oaffered free S&H on all retired sets, but not doing that this year, I would get a lot ordering at parties, which cut into my income and I couldn't get paper to replace what I used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 07:49 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I believe in little incentive thank you's when someone buys alot from me. For instance is someone spends $54 on a set of ink pads, I will offer them their choice of a journaling pen. Or if someone buys $100 dollars I would offer them a wheel to pick. Things that won't BREAK the bank, but still say thank you for sticking with me as a demo. Just my 2 cents.

Theresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 08:13 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nary jane
gwtwdebbi, this is just my opinion and i'm sure it differs from the opinion of others but i think it's not so much about keeping "trade secrets" (LOL i can't help but laugh every time i say that!) as it is that every demo runs her (his) business a little differently. what works for one person might not for another. sometimes innocent posts like this can turn into people getting upset (not just demos either, but customers whose demos do or don't do various things) because it can turn into someone feeling they have to defend the decisions they've made on running their business. or a customer feels their demo isn't doing enough for them compared to what someone else offers.

for demos who have customers that visit the site, customers may want to know why they don't do what so-and-so does? some offer a lot of creative ideas, others have clubs and classes, others do a lot of incentives and freebies--many people use a combination while others do something entirely different! everyone wants a great deal but every demo is in a different position on what they can afford to provide. someone who's established is in a better position to offer freebies than someone who's new and struggling to make any kind of profit. someone with small children at home might not have the time to offer a lot of classes and clubs. someone who is new to stamping may not have a lot of super creative ideas and techniques she can whip up for customers at a moments notice. it's just different for everyone.

so i don't believe asking that these sorts of things not be posted in general discussion has anything to do with keeping secrets--more of a preventative measure to keep the peace and respect the right of demos to run their business in whatever way works for them. the point isn't to exclude anyone, just to keep posts where they are most appropriate.

if you have questions about becoming a demo--i'm sure you could pm any number of the demos on this forum and they'd be more than happy to talk with you! a post that says you'd just like a demo to contact you so you can ask a few questions would likely generate several messages.
Well said
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 08:19 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Ladies,
I'm a new stamper, but I have been involved in other home party products in the past and was also a demo for a certain container company waaaaaay back in the 80's.

I have to say that I've spent about $250 with a Stampin Up demo in my area over the last couple of months and she doesn't offer any incentives, except for giving me the catalog for free when I spent $120. at the first demo I attended (my friend was the hostess). We did do three small cards at that demo and she didn't charge for it, but there were only 3 customers there. I think she still did over $300 in sales at that show.

So, I've been logging into SCS quiet frequently since that demo and I've found wonderful ideas and interesting topics to follow. I do think though, that I may look for a different demo who offers more incentives. I'm not a cheapskate or anything, but I do think that with the amount of money I spend with a demo, she could offer some sort of incentive. Basically, I'm spending $100 or more each month!

I can see both sides of this issue. As a business demo, you don't want to cut too deeply into your profits, but as a customer, I'm going to look for the best deal I can find for my money. There should be a happy middle in there somewhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses and ideas. I'm really sorry I caused any problems. I really should have waited to post this on the demo board when I have my number or asked a demo to pm me.

I would NEVER want to hurt another demo's business. Hopefully, this thread will just fade into the next pages and I can start fresh.

Marzee - who has learned her lesson LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

But, you see, I appreciate hearing/reading all the comments about the "trade secrets" (and I LOL too at that statement because I know that most demo's love to share!)...and because I have read about free offers, all the pros (and few cons) about becoming a demo, I have been able to form an educated opinion whether I want to be a demo or not. However, that doesn't mean I never will become a demo but reading all the comments on this board helps me out.

I agree that each and every person demo's differently (no different than each of us creating a different card) and I have never compared my demo with anyone on SCS. I wouldn't expect her to come up with the same offers that some of you are able to give your customers. Yes there are people out there that would do that, but I do like knowing about other offers. I appreciate what my demo does (if she didn't, I would find another SU! gal)!

My point, and I always get grief for this opinion, is that even the little guy likes to know about the business side!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

As a Non-Demo person - just a customer - I for one, like to hear what other demos offer.

I love hearing questions like this on this board and the answers.

JMHO.
It is hard in these times for all demos to "compete" with each other...especially if this poster wants a certain freebee that another demo is offering at one time when her personal demo may not be able to afford to offer the same thing...then you run into, among other things, well, I heard that so-in-so offers this, can you match that? If not, I guess I'll call her...where is the loyalty?

Not trying to start a fight, but this happens to all of us, just trying to run a business...welcome to the SU! family Marzee (sp?) don't sell yourself short, and you did nothing wrong in posting here!!!

Quote:

I have to say that I've spent about $250 with a Stampin Up demo in my area over the last couple of months and she doesn't offer any incentives, except for giving me the catalog for free when I spent $120. at the first demo I attended (my friend was the hostess). We did do three small cards at that demo and she didn't charge for it, but there were only 3 customers there. I think she still did over $300 in sales at that show.

So, I've been logging into SCS quiet frequently since that demo and I've found wonderful ideas and interesting topics to follow. I do think though, that I may look for a different demo who offers more incentives. I'm not a cheapskate or anything, but I do think that with the amount of money I spend with a demo, she could offer some sort of incentive. Basically, I'm spending $100 or more each month!
Tami2...two things, if you are spending that much a month on SU! you seriously should consider signing up for the discount...that being said, your demo is not making a boat load of $$$ from that $100...true, she gets $20, but this is a business for her (I would assume) she probably takes time to talk with you about the order, informs you about the current offers from SU!, hopefully gives you project ideas and tips...all for $20. Do you think that her time isn't valuable? So you want what? A free what? every free $5 item costs money...why should she offer you something on top of what she already gives you?

Now...if you are spending $100/month every month personally, plus holding WS for her on a regular basis and getting more people to fil her classes each month...well then, I'd say YOU are earning the extra freebees she may (or may not) decide to toss your way.
Walnut Creek, California
email: [email protected]

Know someone who is buying or selling real estate? Relocating to the Bay Area? Let me know, I LOVE referrals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 11:03 AM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote="Tami2"]
So, I've been logging into SCS quiet frequently since that demo and I've found wonderful ideas and interesting topics to follow. I do think though, that I may look for a different demo who offers more incentives.
quote]

Tami - I hope that you will talk to your demo about this before you look for another one.

nary jane - you said it well!

To all - please understand that demos are not trying to "hide" anything by not discussing these business issues on the general board, however it's quotes like the one above from Tami that really scare us. We do not want to do or say anything that might jeopardize another demo's business. It would hurt me to the quick to know that I had posted something that would make someone think about looking for another demo. And it would bother me tremendously if an otherwise happy customer of mine decided to look for another demo because of something she read here.

I understand that customers want the best deal possible. But this is a happy, supportive community of both demos and customers and many of us demos have agreed not to post such info on the general board in order to avoid hurt feelings and "bad blood" - not in any way to hide stuff or have "trade secrets". I hope customers here can understand and respect that and not be offended by it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 11:15 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

My demo does 150 & 400 clubs. Im in the 150 and I have to spend 15.00 each month for 1 year, and we do 3 card projects each month. Since she has soooooo many stamps that are retired or past year sellabration sets she started a basket with these items in it, and when you start your project, and you find a "its your day" in your envy, you get to pick from the basket. What she doesn't get rid of, she will sell on ebay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for giving me the demo's side of this issue. As I mentioned in my previous post, I was also a demonstrator many moons ago and while it did cut into my profits a bit, I found it really worth it to "reward" my customers with a little freebie if they placed a good order. It was especially helpful to say with a $50 order you get this and move up in increments, because that would often convince someone who had spent $35 or $40 to go ahead and order something else to make that reward point. I'm sure we all love to get some sort of little "present."

The other, and really big, issue with my current demo is that she's a good 40 minutes away from me. So, while she is fine with coming into the city to do a demo in my home, I'm not so thrilled with heading out into the country (very curvy, two-lane country roads at night) on a Friday night to attend her Stamp Get-Together. If it was something where I really felt I'd be learning something or it would be a lot of make-and-takes or something, I might try to find a sitter and find my way out there. But what she offers is basically a bring a beverage and snack to share, bring your own stuff and/or buy some of mine and come and hang out. I think she did offer 1 make-and-take, but honestly, that's really not enough to entice me to drive 40 minutes each way.

I hope you guys don't think I'm being too hard on my demo or SU in general, but maybe if someone spends a few dollars of their profits, they would reap much more in loyalty and bigger orders to reach an incentive. Just my own opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tami, I'm a customer like you, and I really hope that if your demo is creative, fun, excited about stamping, and inspires that enthusiasm in her customers, then you should stick with her rather than being a "fair weather" customer who jumps ship to find more or better discounts and freebies. That's not fair to good demos who just can't afford to offer such incentives.

**NOTE** This posted before I could view the post above mine, but I still stand by what I said. It's not anyone's place to tell someone else how to run her business.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 11:46 AM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Tami - obviously you have multiple issues with your demo. Of course you have a right to your opinion. I (and I think most demos here at SCS) just would never want to do something to contribute to any discontent. Thanks for understanding where we are coming from.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #36  
Forum Fanatic

Ok, so I read all of the posts and I just had to post too! I am a demo and I have been since August of 2003.

To respond to the original post, I do offer discounts once in a while and I do think they are a good idea sometimes. Especially for new demos, I think if you offer a discount you should put a definite time limit on it so that your customers don't think this will be the deal all of the time. And like someone else wrote, SU gives us great specials to work with so we don't need to offer specials all the time. The special I did when I was first starting out was small, I gave the hostess a free Classic pad for hosting one of my first workshops in my first few months of being a demo. I know it wasn't a lot, but since they were all starting out their stamp collections too, it helped. I didn't want to give too much because I didn't want people to expect it and I really needed to make money to make up all of the money I had spent on starting my business. Now that I am more established I do different specials like right now I am hosting a "Retirement Party" where my customers have to email me 50 sets they think are going to retire and whoever has the most on their list that actually retire will win a free set from the new catalog (up to a $19.95 value). It is fun to do plus it gets them looking through the catalog and then when the retiring list comes out, they pay attention! I am also having my 3rd child in June so I am not scheduling any workshops that month but I am planning a "Baby Sale" where I will offer everything at a discount just so I can get some sales that month. I am going to note that the only thing I am delivering in June is my baby so they are going to have to come over and get their order once it comes in! So I think that specials are fun once in a while, but what really endears you to your customers is your committment to helping them and having fun! Marzee- congrats on becoming a demo, I think you will really enjoy it!

And secondly, I wanted to comment on the conversation about demos posting info, etc on the non-demo message boards. I have to say, in the past I was scared to tell my customers about this site because I was scared of exactly what we are talking about, customers reading that others demos give free this and do this extra and what if my customers started thinking I wasn't a good demo? But then I realized that I AM a good demo! I have a great customer base and I do a lot for my customers and I know they appreciate it! And if for some reason one of them strays....I guess I wasn't what they needed anymore. I think this a fantastic website and now I realize it has helped my business more than anything because my customers come and find ideas for the sets they have, plus seeing ideas for sets they didn't neccessarily want...but now they do! It does make me sad to see people post that they are looking for a demo with more incentives, because I don't think that is what it is all about. I think demos should provide a service, sharing awesome ideas and samples, providing support and answering questions and teaching people how to use tools and supplies. I think that is what my customers are paying for. I hope it is anyway.

All righty then! I went on a little longer than I thought I would! Just wanted to give my two cents!

Jennie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 12:53 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nary jane
for demos who have customers that visit the site, customers may want to know why they don't do what so-and-so does?
Very well put. You are right on the money.

I think the other part of this is that there have been some very negative posts here recently -- people complaining that their demo doesn't do enough for them compared to what some demos are doing. It's really quite unfair to compare us. We all run our businesses differently, and THAT is the beauty of being a demo for SU! If you want to offer incentives, that is your right. Go for it! It's just a bummer when other demos' customers read about them here, and feel they are not getting what they deserve.

JMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I am not a Demo, but I am a very addicted customer that spends quite a bit. I understand that everyone has the right to run their business differently, just as we customers have the right to shop with whomever we feel we are getting the best VALUE( not just price, but total value) from. Do you only buy your Tide from Target even though Wal-mart has it on sale? A lot of us would go for the sale price because the shopping experiance of Target vs. Wal Mart has no value to us. However, there are also some of us who prefer the experiance of shopping at Target no matter the price (Target is a better value for us). Just my never to be humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

Marzbar71 - I sent you a PM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyPilot
I am not a Demo, but I am a very addicted customer that spends quite a bit. I understand that everyone has the right to run their business differently, just as we customers have the right to shop with whomever we feel we are getting the best VALUE( not just price, but total value) from. Do you only buy your Tide from Target even though Wal-mart has it on sale? A lot of us would go for the sale price because the shopping experiance of Target vs. Wal Mart has no value to us. However, there are also some of us who prefer the experiance of shopping at Target no matter the price (Target is a better value for us). Just my never to be humble opinion.

I actually 3 demo's:

1st - Friend who I place a 200.00 order with at the beginning of the year, and little ones throughout the year. She doens't really do much with her business. She usually offers free shipping.

2nd - Daughters teacher who does the 150 club that Im a member of. I spend 15-25 each month with her. I like going to her clubs cause I get to make 3 cards each month.

3rd - She holds quartely stamp camps, and I usually spend 20.00 each time.

None of them mind that I have 3 and they all understand.
Reply With Quote Likes