Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2004, 09:05 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crafters Tool Kit

For those of you that have the Crafters Tool Kit - what's your opinion? I'm completely waffling on this one. I'm a demo and I think it would be good to have but is it worth the $40? Please convince me that I need this. I already have the eyelet setting tools so some of that will be duplicated -although come to think of it...how many times at a workshop could I have used another eyelet setting thing? Anyway...I'd love y'all's thoughts on this one. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 09:20 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Can't wait to get mine in the mail. It was backordered for me and is now on it's way. Like you, I already have many of the things in it, either from SU! or other companies - however having it all together in one kit will be nice.... AND... from the business side of it - customers buy what they see you use. I totally have my customers hooked on eyelets anyway, so now that I am going to start using a $40 took kit, they will most likely want it too.... more hostess benefits for the hostess, and better sales...

Karen

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

We got to play with my directs at our meeting on Tues. It is really cool. I especially like the template that had holes marked to make the stitched look on cards. Also had the hole poker for it. The case has an extra pocket inside that you can hold some of the eyelets or beads and the outside front has a pocket that will also hold extras like that. I am now thinking of getting it my self. It was nice to have it in a nice little organized kit instead of having the different pieces here and there.

Good luck deciding
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I LOVE my kit! I have had all the tools from when I attended CKU, but now, these have the SU! name on them and best of all- they have a case to keep them organized! I plan to use this little baby at every workshop and stamp camp! I'm sure that by the end of the year- most of my customers are going to own one too!

My opinion- MONEY WELL SPENT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 12:47 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have the making memories kit, but the darn thing didn't come with a setting mat or a guide template. Now i want the stampin up kit! Hmmm... maybe we should buy the new kit, and sell the old one on ebay. We caould make some of the money back....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 12:51 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I haven't had much of a chance to play with mine yet, but I love looking at it! LOL! Yes, I alread had the eye setting tools, but you can always use another set at your w/s. I LOVE that it is all together, it is handy, and it has some tools that I have wanted to experiment with but hadn't been able to yet. I think that it helps to have the more expensive items for customers to see and play with so they can know that they HAVE to have it!

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 01:58 AM   #7  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I saw my demos and it was awesome!!. I see our Ben Franklin has one just about like it, didn't quite get to see what kind of setting mats it had but theirs was on sale for $20 and it was in a case too. Will probably look at it a bit closer. That one is more in my price range than the SU one is now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 03:14 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I just ordered the kit too and can't wait, but then again, I never had any of the tools in the first place (I just started stamping in the last few months). It seems like a great all-around tool kit to have - like a 1 stop shop for all of your crafting needs LOL Now I just need to figure out how to use all the tools once I receive my order . From the standpoint of showing beginners at a workshop who are thinking about getting into stamping, it seems like a great thing to demo. I imagine that it would naturally lead into cross-selling all of the embellishments the kit was made for (eyelets, stitching with the thread etc) at a workshop. Just my $0.2 - HTH a little bit. ~Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 03:53 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

It was the first thing I bought when the new catty came out! It really does have some great tools. Many of my customers had bought the Making Memories kit last year and now want this one instead. They really like the zippered case.

And I also got to show them another use for it! One of my SU charms fell off my charm bracelet. I whipped out some silver wire and the wire cutting tool and fashioned a replacement jump ring and put the charm right back on. They were quite impressed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 04:19 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I want the crafter tool kit. I have the Making Memories one but will probably sell that one and use the money towards SU tool kit. It's one of the top things on my wish list to buy.
Felicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 04:29 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

You have GOT to get the tool kit!! It is awesome! Makes me smile just to look at it All my tools are together, in one neat little package - I look professional and organized! Do you realize how much I'd have to pay a organizational consultant-type person to make me look professional and organized? :oops:

I'd've (yes, that's a word - I use it all the time ) paid $40 just for the cool case. I can always find a loving home for my spare anywhere punches - other scrappers like my SIL -, and it will be good to have another hammer for when I'm stampin' with friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 04:40 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

As my upline said, "It's dreamy!" lol. I just got mine as a birthday gift from my children on Sunday! You must have it. All of those tools in one convenient case. It is also a great place to keep all of your SHARP things. Put your paper snips in one of the pockets, and your craft and rubber scissors in another. Easier to keep away from children this way. Here is a good tip - get some erasers (the little ones that go on mechanical pencils) and stick the ends of the paper piercing tool and the needles into them. Otherwise, they could work through the case and injure you. They are way sharp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 05:56 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the MM tool kit first. I will never use it again. It is nutthin' compared to our tool kit. Yes, you could get a few stamps for the price of the kit, but it really is great! I showed it at a workshop, and explained what it had as opposed to the MM one, and two guests (out of 5 buying guests) purchased their own! And besides the tools and functionality (is THAT a word?) of everything neatly packed - who would *not* love logo merchandise that coordinates with your stampin' tote & stampin' carry? It looks good, works like a dream (love that!). . . See if you can do a try before you buy. I bet you'll order one for yourself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:01 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

THanks so much for the info.
My old kit is in a metal box and way too heavy!
Will order the SU one this week!
You gals are the greatest product reviewers!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:04 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Ok, I'm sold. Actually I put it on my order late last night after only getting one response - I figured all I needed was ONE person telling me they liked it to justify the purchase. Actually, as someone pointed out...my customers tend to buy any neat little thing I show them so I'm sure I'll sell quite a few of these. Now I can't wait to get it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:07 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

i have looked and looked at this in the catty...i too have all of mm things. I have not been very happy with the SU! setter. When I have used my uplines it never seems to work properly. Especially with the shaped eyelets like flowers. any one else have that problem? However i really like the conveince of having everything together...and the templates!!! OHHH! i will probably buy at sometime

SCS member #7026
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:07 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

You guys convinced me, I just put it on my order!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:14 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I have to admit, after convention, I really wanted it but all the pretty new stamps sets and copper stuff jumped ahead of it in priority.

Well, that changed! At our Glitter'n Gals StampCamp, my friend Judy Christensen (A member but a lurker), did a 3 minute demo of the Cool Tool Kit! I had to have it. Her demo totally convinced me that customers had to "See it to believe it!" Too easy to turn the page of the catalog.

Go get it girls!

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:18 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Ann -
Can you remember what the demo included? That sounds like a great way to make some sales (obviously - since it worked on you!)

thanks - julia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:25 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

The tool kit was on my first order. Who wouldn't love her own SU wallet? (just need shoes to match :lol: ) I love the wire tool, and can even make the flower accessory just like Brent's. The setting pad and hole templates are great. I am not in love with the eyelet setter, but I am a bit of a klutz and have not met an eyelet setter that I DO love. The pliers are terrific. (see Klutz above) The idea for protecting the sharp ends is great. I'm going to do it as soon as I get off here and go stamp (later, how much?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:35 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Yeah, but I'm a so easy!!! LOL!

Lets see...she basically went thru each tool and breifly descibed it's function. Judy would hold up the tool, then use it on a small scrap. Then, she showed pre-done samples of cards which she created using the tools. She did demo the wire-cutter/plier flower that Brent did at convention. For those who didn't see it: You open the pliers slightly, then do a figure eight around the prongs with wire. After you've made a couple passes, take the wire and circle the center cross and cut. Slide it off the pliers and spread the petals apart! WOW!
She had a card with sewing and the linen thread, a card with paper piercing, a card with lined up eyelets...hmmm...what else am I forgetting? She was really excited about the cross-lock tweezers (they lock so you don't have to keep pinching them..great for our customers who have gripping issues. I think her key is that she is so bubbly and enthusiastic. She's contagious! So cute!

Judy are you lurking today?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:40 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I wasn't able to attend convention this year so I didn't see Brent's flower and I'm having a hard time picturing this. Once I get my tool kit I'll try to figure it out. sounds cute though. I don't work with wire much because I have a hard time shaping it. Maybe these tools with make all the difference!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:42 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Ok, Ok, Ok, I'll take it! I'm convinced. I already have most everything in the kit, but it's not altogehter and I'm always hunting for something. But, since I didn't go to convention how do I find out about the cool little wire flower thingies that Brent showed all the convention goers how to make? Anyone out there that can tell me, I'd love to find out cuz my favorites are the flower sets and that would be a great embellishment to them.
TIA and Stampin'Hugs
Charlee

Thanks NorwayTroll for the explanation. I think I can make those! great!
Charlee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:48 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Ann - here's the part I'm having a hard time understanding: "After you've made a couple passes, take the wire and circle the center cross and cut". Can explain a little more for wire challenged? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:54 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here it is - shared by mdbarton - it makes more sense when you see the finished product!
Attached Thumbnails
Crafters Tool Kit-in_full_bloom_927.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 07:09 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Jenn! Julia...does this help you? After you do the figure-eight thingies, you take the wire and go around the place in the middle where the wires have crossed to tie them together. Then slip the whole thing off the pliers and spread the loops apart. Sorry, I have this in my head and I'm not explaining it very visually.

Let me know how it works for you!
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 07:15 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Ann & Jenn -

Thanks!!! That explains it perfectly. The picture also helped tremendously. Can't wait to get my kit!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 07:17 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Yay!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 07:17 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

I'm glad this thread got started b/c I have a question about the anywhere hole punch. I too bought the kit on my first order. I immediately played around with it but found that the hole punch would not go through c/s. I first thought that the pad was too hard (like with the old kit that they discontinued) but I tried my old hole punch and it worked fine. Has anyone had problems with the hole punch not being sharp enough? It's even dull to the touch. How can I sharpen it??
TIA
BTW, I LOVE my kit and highly recommend it to everyone but especially to demos (it sells itself once customers see it).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 07:20 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Mine comes next week..I'll be trying it right away! I'll let you know. Hopefully there is someone else who can give you some advice. You may want to give DS a call and just ask their opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 07:20 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I, too, had a hard time when I tried using my downline's anywhere hole punch (this was last year) which is why I never bought SU's eyelet tools. I"m hoping this isn't the case with the tools in the new kit. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 07:23 AM   #32  
Glitter Queen

I like the eyelet tools better in the new kit than the ones I bought a couple of months ago. And they are WAY better than the cheapo ones I bought at a craft store before that. As for sharpening, can you try cutting through foil like you are supposed to with scissors?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 07:41 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Thanks Ann for the suggestion to call SU! They will be sending a replacement right away. It is NOT advised to try and sharpen the anywhere hole punch yourself--that's SU!'s stand on the issue.
Besides this small setback I love my kit and show it off every chance I get!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 07:44 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Yay! for DS! That's so great.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 08:20 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I played with my upline's tool kit at a workshop she let me observe her in, and found that if you try to use the hole punch on a soft (or even somewhat soft) surface, it won't go through the cardstock. When I used it on the card table, I had no luck at all, but on the hardwood table, it went through the cardstock just fine. This was with using the mat under the cardstock on both tables. It must need the resistence of the hard surface to make it through the cardstock.

Not sure if this speaks to the weakness of the hole punch, or the strength/quality of the cardstock!!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 08:28 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

I got my crafter's tool kit but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. They really sold me on it at convention . I think once I have a chance to play with it I will be able to present it well to my customers.

Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwaytroll
She was really excited about the cross-lock tweezers (they lock so you don't have to keep pinching them..great for our customers who have gripping issues.
oh no fair... I was reading through the posts telling myself I have a hammer just like the one in the kit... I have the anywhere punches, the eyelet setter and mat... I have pliers (shhh... my DH said I could use them until I get my own)... I have needles... I have a template for lining up eyelets in a few different shapes... I even have something to keep it all in BUT I don't have the tweezers and I am one of those people that has problems gripping things!

I just knew I shouldn't look at this topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I was in two minds as to whether to get this kit, but went ahead and got some wire too. Can't wait for it to come now as I think I with all the help, instructions and pictures I might be able to make a wire flower. But it's on back order!!!

However, I did agonise over the $40 as I already have the original eyelet kit, bought my own hammer, then got the companion kit, so now have 2 hammers. Oh well, time for an eyelet stamp class now!

Cate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 09:40 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Default I'm sold..

I'm going to have to get it now too! GOsh when does the list end! I just put in a 500.00 order just for myself. Now I want more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Totally hear you on your order of $500.00....I am thinking of taking out a small loan.... :lol:

This is on my list! I figure its great to demo....and hey its SU! who could ask for anything more....

Well...off to add to my list....My dh is going to go thru the roof when he see's this one....

"I Stamp, therefore I am!"....

http://www.jenniferuitto.stampinup.net/
Reply With Quote Likes