Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea for 12x12 paper storage -- what do you think?

I want to start buying the 12 x 12 paper -- I have some, but not much -- but I want a better way to store it that doesn't cost a lot and doesn't take up too much room. So here's my idea.

I was going to buy a post bound 12 x 12 scrapbook and enough page protectors to fit one color in every sleeve (so 48 for all 48 colors, then extras for white, etc.) Then I was going to put the different colors in the sleeves and put them in the book. That way the papers are all in one place and I can either stand the book up or lay it flat. I could have one book for the regular cs colors and one for the designer papers.

My 8.5 x 11 papers are in hanging files, which works great. But 12 x 12 hanging files are expensive and finding the thing to hang them from is hard.

Has anyone done this? If so, how did it work out for you? Any downfalls to doing it this way that anyone can tell?

TIA,

Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

you get more paper than can fit in a page protector in each pack. if you are buying only assortment packs you'll be ok, but if you run out of bliss blue are you going to buy a whole asst. pack? i have those plastic drawer roller/stackable things from walmart, i think sterlite makes them i have two three drawer ones, one drawer for each color fam and two extra for the rest of the special papers.

hope this helps!

i'm a crazy red-head
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=6272
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

At WallyWorld they have file folders back in the craft section that hold paper that is 12 x 14. There are different sections so that you can sort your paper. I just got one of those since I don't have very much 12 x 12 paper. I figure that I have room to store a folder and not a big storage system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

You can use the prority mail boxes that are like 13 x 14...and cut the top away like the magazine holders are cut. This way you can leaf through your papers to see what you have.

Another idea is to get the wire cubes form target and instead of making 6 cubes make 2 and use the extra panels to make shelves. You can hook them in using wire ties...3 to each side so they are sturdy. i'll see if i can find pics of these....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Default HI

I have stored my 12x12 like this for a while and it works well. The pages don't get dirty or wrinkled I was using a non SU album and non SU protectors. It does not hold a lot of paper...........BUT
I am going to go and try SU protectors. HANG ON
I tried the designer papers. I can put 12 in one protector and that is pushing it. It is kinda overstuffed but it would work.
I put 8 pieces of SU card stock in another protector.
So there you have it an experiment gone good. SU wins again!!!!!
I LOVE SU ALBUMS and protectors and stamps and inks and tools and markers and journalers and PUNCHES and everything elsssssssssssse........
But valid points above about having a lot of one colour
GoodLuck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

close up of the shelf

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.a...yout_id=256745

the cubes made into shelves

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.a...yout_id=216944

this one turned paper trays on their sides to hold 12" paper

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.a...yout_id=491048

and last but not least...the mail boxes

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.a...yout_id=482914
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Check out the paper holder made by Cropper Hopper....they sell for around $6/ea and each holds 200 sheets of 12x12!

Here's a link so you have a visual:
https://www.cropperhopper.com/store/...?item_no=CH259

Very Cool! I have a wire holder that I bought at a scrapbook store but would like to sell it and buy these...less space...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

95% of my paper is 12 X 12... I have two of the Heavy Duty Rolling Cart Workstation" from Cropper Hopper. the paper is protected in an enclosed hanging file tote and when not in use able to roll in under may table. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 01:19 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use a Crop in Style PSB. Got it at Michael's with my 40% coupon for only $20. There's a website that has 12x12 refill pages that hold about 50 sheets of cardstock for only $.82 a page! It's the cheapest I've found and great service. HTH!

http://www.createforless.com/product...roductID=69665
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 03:06 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the wire cubes from target. I have a couple sets. It works out well for me - I have one set stacked on the back corner of my worktable.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 03:50 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I've seen the wire cubes -- I don't have the space for that. What I like about my 8.5 x 11 paper storage is that it's compact and it fits on top of my shelf that holds my stamp sets. I'm wanting the same compactness (is that a word?) for my 12 x 12 paper.

The priority box idea may work. And as far as the SU page protectors, I have one and they are so much thicker than the others, so I thought they might work pretty good. And I do purchase the bulk of my paper in the assorted packs, so I usually don't have a ton of one color.

I guess I need to price compare -- thanks for the input!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 04:01 AM   #12  
Mini Quack

Default STORE 12 X 12 PAPER

tHERE ARE MANY 12 Z 12 EXPANDABLES OUT THERE 11.99 UP TO 24.99
ALSO WALMART HAS CUBES THAT 12 X12 HANGING FILE FOLDERS WORK IN...I LOVE MY WORK STATION BY CROPPER HOPPER BUT IF SPACE IS AN ISSUE THEN JUST LOOK INTO THE EXPANDABLES AND USE THE 40 % COUPON AT mICHAELS ... GOOD LUCK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 04:09 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default 12 X 12 Paper Storage

I use a deep wicker basket that is lined. My 12 X 12 paper fits nicely in there and I can leaf through it easily. The basket has handles so it is easy to pick up and move. It also fits on my bookshelf and matches all the other baskets that hold punches, embellishments, etc.

One of these days I'm going to have to upload pics of my room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 04:17 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I store all my 12 x 12 in a Creative Gear (Plaid) tote/storage bag. It's approx 14x16x10 and really holds tons and tons of paper. For my 8 1/2 x 11 paper, I use a CM file mate organizer which also holds a fair amount of paper. Works great because I can see all my paper at a glance. I put both sizes of paper in color order. I've tried many methods and this had worked out great for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 04:38 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would be concerned that the Scrapbook would not hold enough and you would quickly outgrow it....

I like the idea of using the Paper Sticker Binder - gosh I just got rid of one that I was not using shoot!

I just purchased a Paper Taker from Hobby Lobby (is it crop in style or cropper hopper??) ANYWAY I like it so far - there is a lot of paper in there (not sure how much) but I have several of the patterned papers and solids from SU and a ton of the stuff you buy at the craft stores.....

I like the idea of putting them in the priority mail boxes EXCEPT they are probably not acid free (does that really matter???) Then you could put on a shelf and store that way sounds like a good cheap solution.....

I love the Cropper Hopper $6 magazine file thingy - I would go this route if I had bookshelf space to store in!!!

I do not like to keep my paper in the open (without some cover) because of the dust....

Let us know what you decide on!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 04:50 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

I recently converted to priority mailboxes for 12 x 12 and plastic magazine holder for 8.5 x 11 (1.86 ea). The boxes are very sturdy and free! My loving husband spray-painted them white then I wrapped a ribbon around it to add a decorative touch. It freed up a lot of space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 05:16 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

This is the one I have and just LOVE it!

https://www.cropperhopper.com/store/...?item_no=34061
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 05:37 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I just got this with my 50% off coupon at Michaels. I haven't taken it out of the box yet because it only comes with 6 hanging folders. Each set of six on Cropper Hopper's site are 9.99. Does anyone know of a cheaper place to purchase more? I really want to use it because digging through every thing I have to find the right color is a HASSLE!

Just Clay, Dawn

https://www.cropperhopper.com/store/...tem_no=CH3HD-B
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 06:03 AM   #19  
spv
Rubber Obsessor

I have been looking at the scrapbooking storage options at The Container Store. They have plastic containers for 12x12 paper for $5.99...they are stackable (or can be stored vertically) and I like the fact that the paper would be protected from dust/water (our dishwasher just had a huge leak and water went down into my craft area below...we caught it pretty quickly but some of my craft items got wet...I would have been brought to tears if we did not catch it so quick and the water continued to flow). I am not sure how much paper they hold...we have a Container Store 2 1/2 - 3 hours from the house so I may make a day trip to check them out. I saw these containers in one of the magazines (maybe Creating Keeepsakes) and they showed them in one of those cloth shelves you hang in the closet. I love this idea and think the paper would be really protected from dust/water/light etc.

you can check out this link or go to containerstore.com and type is scrapbook under the search...they have quite a few storage options and I think pretty reasonable prices.

(http://www.containerstore.com/browse...71857&CATID=23
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 06:11 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

someone posted a link for pictures of the Cropper Hopper paper storage boxes..... I just got them and LOVE them. I got 6... one for each color family, neutrals, and one for designer/vellum paper. I got mine from Paper Wishes catalog. Sorry I don't know how to post a link. the were the actual Cropper Hopper brand, but they sold them for 4.95 each and if you spend 35.00 you get free shipping. I had them w/in 5 days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 06:14 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I just have to say that I find it dishonest to use the priority boxes for this.
They are provided free for mailing stuff not for your own personal use. And when the prices to mail go up ya'll (and i mean that as a general ya'll) will be the first ones bitching about the price increase.

Just my thought

I use the Target cubes and they work quite well for me. I know that some people are concerned about sunlight constantly hittin the paper. I rigged a piece of fabric on the front sort of like a curtain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

WELL it is not dishonest if you use the used ones right??!! (postal boxes that is)
I used my Creative memories boxes that my products came in (like the short su boxes) and made a magazine holder for my oversized ones like CTMH catty....

SO if you find using the Priority boxes dishonest you could used the box that SU sent the paper in and tape it closed - use a small hand saw (or steak knife like I did!!) and cut out the top or both the top and one end like a magazine holder - paint it wrap it in wrapping paper - do a paper collage with your free wallpaper books! whatever and you hava sturdy paper holder that was also virtually free!!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

As far as using the Priority boxes for holding the paper, I have to say this. My post office refused to give me priority boxes. They said they don't have enough and that I had to order them online from USPS. I did that and the minimum you can order is a full box of 25, I think it is. So here I sit with 25 Priority boxes and I only needed a couple. And while I do plan on taking the remainder of them to my post office so they can be used, I don't think using one or two will kill them, particularly since they are very heavy and had to be delivered to my house for free -- a cost they did not have to incur if I had been allowed to get them from my post office.

Just my opinion.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimsalsbury
Check out the paper holder made by Cropper Hopper....they sell for around $6/ea and each holds 200 sheets of 12x12!

Here's a link so you have a visual:
https://www.cropperhopper.com/store/...?item_no=CH259

Very Cool! I have a wire holder that I bought at a scrapbook store but would like to sell it and buy these...less space...

I recently purchased these and I absolutely love them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I realize that my solution to paper storage is a bit pricey, and takes up more space than a file box, but since we're on the subject I thought I'd share what I'm useing.

they're 12x12 file drawers made by a company called memories. and they're stackable, so when you stack 'em up you have your own 12x12 file cabinet. I LOVE it! it keeps all my paper out of the sunlight, so no more fading to worry about. fading was a big problem for me with the wire cubes because the only place I had to put them was right by the window. and the folders are all acid free and archival safe. I got a good deal on my drawers though. my local craft store carries them, so I got one for 40% off and the other one when they had a 50% off coupon, so I basically got 2 for the price of one. here's a link to the drawers:
http://memories.com/catalog/productd...temNumber=3813

they also have a whole storage system and desk that looks great! not that I have the $$ for all their great stuff, but it sure would be nice if I did. here's their general web address if you wanna just check 'em out.
http://www.memories.com

who knows they just may have something you're looking for.

sheesh! I sound like a comercial for them lol! I swear I don't work for 'em, but I love their products so far. guess I just want to share today. anyway good luck to all in their search for the perfect storage solutions for you!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

:shock: I didn't know Michael's offered this:

https://www.cropperhopper.com/store/...tem_no=CH3HD-B

I was thinking about getting this one too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 07:26 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I like the idea of putting them in the priority mail boxes EXCEPT they are probably not acid free (does that really matter???)
You can spray them with Archival Mist if you are a scrapper and acid is a concern.

Quote:

I just have to say that I find it dishonest to use the priority boxes for this.
They are provided free for mailing stuff not for your own personal use. And when the prices to mail go up ya'll (and i mean that as a general ya'll) will be the first ones bitching about the price increase.

I have to agree, but I get alot of these boxes with my purchases in them...so they are USED, not new.... and I am just recycling mine (and helping keep the landfill situation at bay in the process ;) LOL )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I bought this cart and hanging file folders from here. I thought the prices were pretty good.

[url]http://www.herrschners.com/depts/id-78__tab-__page-5.html[url]

They have all sorts of storage solutions that seem reasonably priced. I also joined the sight, waited a few days and received a coupon for free shipping. That's when I bought what I wanted. HTH

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes