Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about becoming a demonstrator...

I just got done reading the thread about what people like about being a demo- It's ironic because I've been going between SU and CTMH sites all evening trying to read up on what it takes to be a demonstrator. Sorry, I'll get to my main question - I think I read that with SU you have to sell at least $300 per quarter, but is that manditory or is it just to make sure you get your discount? I'm afraid to jump into this and then find out it's hard to sell $300...I just need some more info.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, you need to sell $300.00 a quarter to remain active. Believe me its not hard to do at all. You usually can do 300.00 in one workshop.
If that's all your worried about don't be. Go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I sent you a PM.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

you must sell at least $300 every quarter to remain in active statis, if you don't make it one quarter you must sell the difference plus your $300 next quarter.

i've been a demo for almost a year and i've done a grand total of six, yea only six demonstrations, and i've made my quota every quarter.

remember that if you spend alot your self you only have to pay 80% of the retail price!!

i'm a crazy red-head
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=6272
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:09 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I joined I joined to be a hobbiest just me. I have friends asking for me to do party. I have had at least 1 party a month. they have averaged about 300.00 & up.
good luck its worth a try. I'm so glad I did

Can I help you take control of your families healthy care?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I am a Stampin'Up! demonstrator. The minimum sales requirement is $300 a quarter. You have to do this to stay active. I was VERY concerned about this number too. However, I went ahead and joined and also started a monthly class. For this class people come to my house one Saturday a month. The schedule is fairly open. They can come anytime between 11am and 4pm. They are committed for a full year. The cost is $20 per month. Each month they get to make either 4 greeting cards (or something similar) or a two page scrapbook spread. They get to take home their projects to use as they wish and they also receive the stamp set that all of the projects are made with. I use a $14.95 or higher stamp set each month to make all of the projects.

For example, in March my girls came on the 3rd Saturday and made projects using the Build a Blossom stamp set. They took their finished projects and their stamp set home with them and paid their $20 for next month at that time. They get to use my tools, Snail, paper, etc (usually purchased with the hostess dollars earned with the order for the sets), and when they complete 12 months of these classes (mine are called Stampin'Day and they don't have to be 12 consecutive months) they receive a free $24.95 stamp set. You could make it a lower priced set if you want. They don't really care as long as there's an incentive at the end of the year.

I've found, that just by doing this I have well over $300 a quarter in sales and it's SO simple! Just don't get discouraged. When I first started I only had one person who joined. By the time I was 4 months into it I had 5. The numbers increase because the first one tells a friend and then she tells a friend and pretty soon you could have 40+ people involved. (I know someone who does).

The great thing about SU is you can be your own hostess. You don't have to jump through any hoops in order to place an order for yourself. I researched both companies before I joined and that was a major selling point for me.

Well, I hope this helps! Good luck making your decision.

Smile! It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Go see my gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am too in the process of becoming a hobby demo. I was told by my upline to be, to just let everyone know that they can have 20% off and I will easily make my $300. I know that several here who have e-mailed me to offer me that 20% off do that because they are not out to make a profit but so they can have the discount for themselves and access to all the goodies and the kit. I don't plan to do any workshops but I bet friends will be happy for the discount. I think lots of hobby demos do this. I know several advertise this on other stamp sites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 05:03 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I see some problems with offering everyone your discount. First of all, you will NEVER make any money. Any option to use your commission to buy more stamps or to pay a montly household bill or save for a vacation is LOST. If you decide at a later time that you would like to operate more as a business, you have shot yourself in the foot and will have a hard time switching. SU really discourages us from offering regular discounts like that, because it devalues the product. Not to mention that it makes it hard for other demonstrators that are trying to operate as a business. Just some examples - I started out as a hobby demonstrator and I didn't give anyone a discount - even my family did not ask for one. I started a monthly stamping/scrapbooking group of my friends and their purchases plus mine met my quota with NO problem. Now that I like to go to the SU convention/regionals and Leadership meetings (fun, fun fun!), it is nice to have my commission to pay for those events (did I mention fun!). I had a downline that started out offering her commission as a discount. SHe had a great first order - over $1000, but that was it. She had to drop because noone wanted anything else. Because I offer a monthly class and a chance to try out different techniques and products, I can meet my quota with no problem. If you keep people informed of the specials and they know you have a monthly order going in and a fun time to get together - that is the key to being a successful hobby demonstrator.

By the way, offering a discount on websites/mailing lists other than your official demonstrator website is a good way to lose your demonstratorship. You (and SU) can see these type of posts by doing a google search, so it is not worth the risk.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 05:39 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Since you are already looking at two different companies, let me suggest a third....the angel company

Not everyone can make the $300 in sales per quarter...especially if you are like me and couldn't even get more than one person interested in stamping! and you don't want to commit to $100 a month for yourself (okay, so that would actually be $80 plus shipping and tax)

Anyway, since you are looking at CTMH, I know you are not against unmounted stamps, which is what you get in your kit from TAC (although the DO sell both mounted and unmounted) AND with TAC (pronounced "t" "a" "c"), your minimum is only $100 per quarter and you get to purchase your products at 30% off which means $70 per quarter - plus tax on wholesale (not retail) and shipping (which is 10% like SU).

Having been in direct sales, I can tell you, it is best to sell at retail costs instead of discounted, for various reasons. Also...if you plan to work your business - making contacts, getting referrals, booking parties and workshops, building a team...you CAN and WILL make money!

Many demos/reps/consultants for direct sales companies get started merely to get their product at cost, but once they start getting a few friends involved and start reaching out and doing 'parties' they realize what a 'real' business they can have!

BUT...if you are currently only looking for a discount and have NO ONE in your circle of friends, family or acquaintances stamping, set a limit for yourself. For some that means never putting personal funds into their business, for others that means putting a set amount ONLY into their business. If you get to a quarter where you have to break that committment, you have to quit...you don't want to go into debt because you were trying to save money...you see?

All of these companies offer wonderful opportunities. Each has a great kit to get you started and would be a good deal even if the business doesn't work out for you. If you don't try, you may always wonder 'what if?' If you try and it doesn't work (and you DO NOT go into debt!), you won't have lost anything.

But do make an informed decision. Know your options and go from there.
Ann

btw, obviously you will find many demos here and you know you can find others through the various company web sites....Shawna and Nicole (inspiredbycreativity) are posters here and TAC demos. Pat is a CTMH rep. Just do a search for the posts about who here is a TAC or CTMH demo and you'll find others to ask questions of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I should have clarified that I would not be joining SU for any income at all because I already have a full income. The reason I would give the 20% discount would be simply to insure making the quota and to be nice to family and friends! We would all benefit. My upline suggested that many people do this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 07:19 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Wilson
I see some problems with offering everyone your discount. First of all, you will NEVER make any money. Any option to use your commission to buy more stamps or to pay a montly household bill or save for a vacation is LOST. If you decide at a later time that you would like to operate more as a business, you have shot yourself in the foot and will have a hard time switching. SU really discourages us from offering regular discounts like that, because it devalues the product. Not to mention that it makes it hard for other demonstrators that are trying to operate as a business. Just some examples - I started out as a hobby demonstrator and I didn't give anyone a discount - even my family did not ask for one. I started a monthly stamping/scrapbooking group of my friends and their purchases plus mine met my quota with NO problem. Now that I like to go to the SU convention/regionals and Leadership meetings (fun, fun fun!), it is nice to have my commission to pay for those events (did I mention fun!). I had a downline that started out offering her commission as a discount. SHe had a great first order - over $1000, but that was it. She had to drop because noone wanted anything else. Because I offer a monthly class and a chance to try out different techniques and products, I can meet my quota with no problem. If you keep people informed of the specials and they know you have a monthly order going in and a fun time to get together - that is the key to being a successful hobby demonstrator.

By the way, offering a discount on websites/mailing lists other than your official demonstrator website is a good way to lose your demonstratorship. You (and SU) can see these type of posts by doing a google search, so it is not worth the risk.
I must concur with Kim Wilson on this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 09:06 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I concur with Kim and Julie as well. Plus, also realize that you may give 20% off their order, but you will still have to pay tax and shipping on the full amount.

Just my 2 cents...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

What I did for awhile and have loyal customers because of it, was insentives like; If you spend $50. I iwll give you 10% in free product (a stamp pad what ever) never a discount. That way I had more in my order and they felt they got a goodie for free. I'm not doing that right now instead I'm runnung a 50/50 chart they spend $50 and can put their name on it. I will then draw a number when the chart is full and the winner gets $50.00 in free product. I don't think you should give a flat discount give insentives instead but nothing over 10% You need to have some profit for you and it is easier to change things later.

Can I help you take control of your families healthy care?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewscrappy
Not everyone can make the $300 in sales per quarter...especially if you are like me and couldn't even get more than one person interested in stamping!
I think I would really question being a demo for ANY company, if I didn't know other people I'd be able to sell to right off the bat.

Have you had successful SU! workshops with your friends through another demo? Then you have a client base. But if not, I would continue being a great SU! customer until I had some idea of people I could sell to.

$300 is NOT hard to get to. I've been a demo since July and have had 4 workshops in that time. Each quarter has been at least a $1000 quarter for me, and this past was $2000. My workshop totals haven't made up the bulk of that -- it's been repeat individual orders that have boosted me. Sell-a-Bration was a good time for me, as was the free shipping in December.

Last-- and this is MY OPINION here... I think with SU! you get great name recognition. I had never even heard of the other stamping companies before I came here, just Stampin' Up! That name alone sells the product. Again, just my opinion. Not saying the others are bad, just saying there is more name recognition. At least where I live.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

The $300 a quarter won't be difficult - good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I also concur with Kim & Julie. They are wise women!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 10:20 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
I am too in the process of becoming a hobby demo.
:shock: Wow, I must say I was surprised at reading this. From some of your other informative posts, I took it that you were less than pleased with SU! on more than one occasion, and considering not ever buying from them again. What happened to bring this about? (If you don't mind sharing.) Your SU! demo must be one awesome chick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #18  
SCS Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too was concerned about the $300 per quarter sales requirement when I signed up. I too have a full time job and wanted to just be a hobby demo to support my stamping habbit. I too came to SCS for advice.

I must be post and be the one who isnt going to tell you how easy the sales goals are. I find location, location, location means a lot. I have found it really hard to get people to commit to a workshop, show interest in stamping, and squeak by on my sales goals.

Everyone is different. All you need is one party every 3 months and you will make your numbers. ITS JUST FINDING SOMEONE TO HAVE THAT PARTY FOR YOU! It is a lot of work and time to put into being a demo even if it is a hobby demo. SO really think about it.

You have nothing to lose but to just give it a try! There is no better time than now to become a demp with teh $30 off starter kits and it certainly is worth the price. SO giev it awhirl and decide for yourself.

I still scratch my head in awe at these SU demos (my upline for one) that have so many workshops she has to turn people away. She makes so much in sales- she is on her free cruise right now!

I love the company, products, and wish I could get more people inetrested. It just is not an easy thing to do especially when I have a busy schedule with my real job. I wish you luck either way! Keep us posted and let us know what you decide
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 11:39 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think the above poster gives excellent advice. You might look at some of the companies that require only $300-$400 per year if you are anxious about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I really appreciate all the advice that has been given. You've brought up some things that I hadn't thought about, it's helping me to weigh my options. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

(I feel silly because as you can see, I've been a member since Nov. '04 and this is only my 5th or 6th post. I'm just now getting into this posting stuff and I'm excited to get to know you all better.)

A big thanks to all of you!!

-Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I became a demo in July, right after the Convention and I'm really enjoying it. I would encourage you NOT to give out your discount. You really never know what's going to happen.

I did *not* plan on doing much selling, but I had an Open House and everyone there had never stamped before. A few of the gals LOVED it, and they've become great customers! I haven't done a workshop at someone else's house yet. I've had 5 Stamp Camps and some very eager, happy customers! I had *NO* idea that they'd enjoy stamping, and they would tell you they had no idea either! :lol: But it's become a way to make new friends, get closer to old ones, and help finance my stamp habit! I've had absolutely no problem meeting my minimums.

Another reason why I'd encourage you NOT to give away your discount is for the good of the other demos around you. If their customers find out that others get a discount, that could be bad for the business of the other demos, who work hard and DO need the income. Like others suggested, I'd offer different incentives instead.

Anyway, these are just some things to think about! Don't decide now how your demo'ship will be - you just never know!

Good luck!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyGil
(I feel silly because as you can see, I've been a member since Nov. '04 and this is only my 5th or 6th post. I'm just now getting into this posting stuff and I'm excited to get to know you all better.)-Sarah
Oh Sarah, you shouldn't feel silly at all! Look at me--I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I've only been a member since March and look how many posts I've already racked up--and I'm really the quiet type! :oops: Once you get started, it's really addictive! Not to mention fun!

By the way, whatever decision you make about becoming a demo will surely be the best decision for you, but don't sell yourself short (LOL), it's not as hard as it looks when you apply yourself, and sometimes you don't even have to do that!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I really appreciate this thread. I've recently made the decision to sign up to be an SU demonstrator. I'd been wavering a bit, thinking about it a lot, wondering if I would be able to make a success out of it because all the people I know also know the woman who will be my upline OR another SU demonstrator.

But then I found out about the discount for the month of April and decided to take the plunge. I'm a little nervous, but also hopeful. I'm learning that the prospect of "failing" need not be terrifying. If I try this, don't like this, or "fail" at it, that just means it isn't for me, but I will have learned THAT and can move forward.

Also, I like the incentive idea vs. the 20% discount. People do so love to get free stuff. I used to joke, "If you give away free stuff, they will come." : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2005, 01:08 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too must cuncur with Kim Wilson and Her Royal Rubberness they 'KNOW' what they are talkin' 'bout!!

Reply With Quote Likes