Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges

Welcome to our Winter Olympics ~ Let�s Go for the Gold!

"Let the Games Begin"

JANVSBNA
Coach: Buckeye Stamper
Challenge Name: Opening ceremonies
1:00 PM

Welcome to the opening ceremonies for the January 2007 Virtual Scrapbooking Night. We hope that you join us in the celebration of scrapbooking and enjoy the "friendly" competition of these games. The pageantry of the Olympic opening ceremonies is one of the most exciting and memorable moments in the Olympics. It truly displays the spirit of the Olympic Games with all the teams and competitors marching into the Olympic stadium as one. It is truly a great celebration. So put on your team colors and join all of the participants in VSBN as we march together into the stadium and officially begin the "games" with challenge number one!

Your challenge, create a layout that focuses on the pageantry and ceremony of a celebration in your life. 2 page layouts are preferred on this one. I would also like to see journaling about the "spirit" of the celebration.

Be sure to use lots of glitz and glam just like you see in the Olympic opening ceremonies. Glitter and heat embossing are a must on this page.

Use the colors Red, Yellow and Orange somewhere on your page to represent the Olympic flame - which is such a big part in the opening ceremonies.

Please remember that you have 2 hours for this challenge! I�ll be in the challenge chat thread for the next two hours if you have any questions! Remember to upload your page with JANVSBNA in the keywords.
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-buckeye_stamper_janvsbn-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-272-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-273-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNB
Coach: BetsyJo
Challenge Name: Olympic Rings
3:00 PM

Welcome to the next challenge! I�ll be your coach for the next two hours. Get ready to see some playing time during this challenge! Let�s get started!

The Olympic rings were created in 1913 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympic Movement. The five rings represent the five major regions of the world: Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Oceania. To many people, the rings represent eternal unity among all nations. People also believe that the rings symbolize universality, because the whole world is involved in the Olympics and everyone recognizes the symbol of the Olympic rings.

Your challenge is to create a one-page layout based on this sketch. This sketch is from Becky Fleck�s website and it includes many circles, or rings.

For this challenge, I really want you to focus on the circles on the layout. How do the circles relate to each other? How do the circles relate to your title? How do the circles relate to your photo? These are all questions you can ask yourself as you are designing your page. You don�t need a lot of journaling if you don�t want to, because this page is focusing on uniting the circles with your title and photo.

I�ll be in the chat thread for the next two hours if you have any questions!

Don�t forget to finish your page in under two hours and put JANVSBNB in the keywords. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-celebrate_the_everyday_12_x_12.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-pencilines_sk6.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-268-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNC
Coach: stamphappy6805
Challenge Name: Faster, Higher, Stronger Scrapbook Challenge
5:00 PM

The Olympic motto is Citius�Altius�Fortius, which is Latin for "faster, higher, stronger." The intended meaning is that one's focus should be on bettering one's achievements, rather than on coming in first.

Using the Olympic motto, my challenge is for you to scrap something that shows one�s achievements. It could be participating in a sports tournament, a celebration of one�s success in any aspect of life, like receiving an award or bettering yourself or showing someone else bettering them self in some way.

As an added twist I would also like you to incorporate the five colors of the Olympic rings into your challenge, (red, blue, green, black, and yellow) in any way that you choose.

Journaling is a must, I want to know about the important achievements or striving to achieve on your pages.

I will be in my chat thread for the next two hours should you have any questions and don�t forget to put JANVSBNC in the keywords!
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-vsbn_feb_left-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-vsbn_jan_r-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-271-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBND
Coach: sapphire1968
Challenge Name: Stats
7:00 PM

Hello ladies, hope everyone is enjoying the winter games, I know I am!

It's now time to pay tribute to the incredible athletes that participate and entertain us with their skills during the Winter Olympics.

During the televised events, you always hear them talking about where the athletes are from and what they have accomplished during their careers. With this in mind, your challenge is to use a stat sheet on your page. It should contain basic info, like name, place of birth, little facts about the people or places in the photos.

You also need to do some doodling on your page.

You'll get BONUS points if you use a file folder.

File Folder pattern

I�ll be hanging out in the chat thread for the next two hours if you have any questions. Just remember to put JANVSBND in your keywords and have fun, that's what it's all about.
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-dsc04680-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-256-t.jpg  

Last edited by Favorite Grandma; 01-14-2007 at 03:59 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stazon Splitcoast

That is the last of our challenges for today. I hope you had fun and got some pages scrapped.

Just remember you have until midnight EST, Monday, January 15th to get your pages uploaded to your gallery.

Don’t forget to return to this thread for the continuation of VSBN on the 20th and 21st at 11:00 a.m. EST for an exciting fast-paced two days of challenges.

Last edited by Favorite Grandma; 01-19-2007 at 07:09 AM..
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNE
Coach: Charmed
Challenge Name: Curling
11:00 AM

Our next sport is Curling.

First added as a demonstrations Olympic sport in 1924. Curling is a game based on skill and strategy. The goal is to have as many of your colored rocks as close to the button (center dot of the rings) and to keep your opponent from having any.

Your challenge is to do a page (or pages) using circles, and follow the sketch included.

BONUS points if you use buttons and EXTRA BONUS POINTS if you make your own buttons with paper!!

Have fun, and we will see you at the other end of the sheet (that�s what they call the ice ;) )

I�ll be hangin� out in the challenge chat thread if you have any questions. Don�t forget to finish your page in under two hours and upload you page with the keyword JANVSBNE.
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-charmed_sample.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-janvsbn_sketch-t.jpg  

Last edited by Favorite Grandma; 01-20-2007 at 07:07 AM..
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNE
Coach: Charmed
Challenge Name: Curling

my samples for this challenge
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-281-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-282-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNF
Coach: trkoala
Challenge Name: Biathlon

Biathlon: The strength and stamina of cross-country skiers combined with the lucidity and concentration of a marksman.

The symbolic re-enactment of a primordial activity: hunting in the snow, the long treks on skis, glimpsing the prey, the coolness of a marksman.

Power and precision, the ability to slide on the snow and aim looking the target in the eye: the sum of all this constitutes the very soul of the biathlon event.

Today we are all going to be competitors in the Biathlon. This event combines skills that many of us have but may not realize. In this challenge you are to come up with a layout that demonstrates your / or someone else�s strength and stamina, and / or lucidity and concentration. This challenge will lend itself to some up close pictures of friends or loved ones engaged in activities that personify these characteristics.

Your layout must begin with a white background. You may change it however you would like but it must start off white.

In addition you must also show your level of power and precision by using brads or other types of fasteners within the layout.

Have fun and remember to finish your page in under two hours! Upload your page with JANVSBNF in the keyword. I will be in the chat thread for the next two hours if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-taras_sample_page_1.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-taras_sample_page_2.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-253-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNG
Coach: stampin-sunnychick
Challenge Name: Symbols of YOU!

Symbols of YOU!

The symbol is in the form of a dancing figure which depicts a Chinese seal inscribed with the character �Jing� (derived from the host city for the Olympic Games in 2008; Beijing).

YOUR CHALLENGE: is to create a symbol that depicts your character�It can be serious, fun, silly, super creative. Whatever you choose, the character should come from your personality�I would love for the page to SCREAM ALL ABOUT YOU to me. You may draw, computer create, use a sticker created gal, a stamp, or simply draw a stick chick that is fully embellished. The key is to have fun�bring out your creative side and show us who you are when you scrap, work, or play. This is ALL ABOUT U GIRLS!

YOUR CHALLENGE PART 2: YOU MUST INCLUDE 3 interesting facts about yourself on this page. It can be hidden, bright and bold, tagged, whatever you choose but journal or share some fun-filled facts about yourself.

FACT STARTER IDEAS: your passion(s), details about your favorite hobbies, weird food(s) you like to make or eat, your favorite holiday, share your faith, funky habits that you may have, shows that are a must for you to see every week, volunteer work that you do, your goals: something out of the ordinary, share anything that is fun or near and dear to your heart.

If you need any help with ideas or just getting started don�t hesitate to ask questions.

COLOR SCHEME: NONE, I think I have challenged you enough already�SO the color is yours for the choosing

I will be in the chat thread for the next two hours if you need some help or have any questions. Remember to use JANVSBNG in your keywords when you upload.
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-december_pix._holidays_049-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-symbolizing_me_1-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-logo_beijing-1-crop-1.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNG
Coach: stampin-sunnychick
Challenge Name: Symbols of YOU!

my sample
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-276-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNH
Coach: slprunning
Challenge Name: Pairs Figure Skating

For this challenge, if you choose to participate, you need to create a scrapbook page/s about your partner. A partner can be a parent, best friend, spouse, significant other, or a precious pet. This is a person (or pet) that you really have to trust because in pair�s figure skating your partner is performing overhead lifts and throw jumps and you are the one being lifted and thrown! Express to us all of the wonderful attributes of your partner.

In pairs figure skating there is a term they use called �mirror skating� where you mirror your partner�s moves. I want you to use the reflective technique, also known as mirror image or reverse image technique somewhere on your page/s. This technique is really very easy and has stunning results�Here�s how to do it:
1. Stamp the image on cardstock
2. Re-ink the same stamp and stamp it on a piece of acetate (or wax paper� terrore3/ Terry�s tip).
3. Now place it where you want it to be and then use your finger to rub over the acetate or wax paper and the image will transfer.

You can also use vellum by stamping on the vellum and then once it is dry just flip it over and stamp again.

Finish your page in less than two hours and upload your page with JANVSBNH in the keyword. I�ll be hanging out in the challenge chat thread if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-vsbn_winter_olympics_sample.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-267-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNI
Coach: arhawg
Challenge Name: Figure Skating � Sit Spin

One of my absolute favorite sports to watch during the winter Olympics is the Ladies Figure Skating. In this competition there is only one requirement that MUST be met to get FULL scores!

First Requirement � Sit Spin (AKA View-master technique)
Here is the link to the tutorial here on SCS:
Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

On the view master technique if you do not want to punch into your 12x12, or other size scrapbook page; you can make one that would fit on a card and add it to the page like an embellishment.

If you are going to make a BIG view master some suggestions on what to use to get the big circle to put your pictures on are:
Creative Memories cutting system
Coluzzle
Lunch plate
Bowl
Basket protector (that is what I actually used! hehe)
Anything that is round and that you can trace!

I also used the Creative Memories cutting system to make the actual viewing part on my page.

How to earn a higher score:
Adding flowers, ribbons, stuffed animal or some other element to represent gifts thrown on the ice after the skaters are finished will earn you higher scores in the judging process.

If you have ANY questions please join me in my Judges Chat Room here. I will be there for at least the next 2 hours to answer any requirement questions you may have!
This is also where you need to put a link to your entry as well!

MAKE SURE TO USE THE KEYWORD: JANVSBNI

Thanks for participating in this competition! Now get SPINNING!!! hehehe
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-janvsbn_sample3_edited-1r-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-janvsbn_sample4_edited-1r-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-janvsbn_sample2_edited-1r-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNI

Coach: arhawg
Challenge Name: Figure Skating � Sit Spin

another sample from Darcy

and two from me.
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-janvsbn_sample2_edited-1r-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-252a-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-252b-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNJ
Coach: speale
Challenge Name: Time�s Up!
9:00 PM

Time's Up!

So many events in the Olympics can be won or lost in a fraction of a second or a tenth of a point. The numbers can be your best friend or your worst enemy! Victory or the agony of defeat is yours if you beat the stopwatch!

Make a page using numbers in/on your layout (journaling does not count).

Bonus points will be given if you use one or more of the metal colors on your page. Let's see the creative ways you can add this element to your pages.

Remember, the stopwatch is running during VSBN, too! Be sure to complete your page in the allotted time! You will need to put JANVSBNJ in the keywords.

chat thread
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-sample.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-265-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-266-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

that is the last challenge of the evening.

We'll be back here tomorrow (Sunday) same time, same place. Hope to see you then and bring a friend or two!
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNK
Coach: Salster
Challenge Name: Cross Country Skiing

We are skiing cross country for this one, and you'll need some pictures you can cut apart and use with the sketch below. Those are the only requirements of this challenge! Feel free to substitute journaling, pretty paper or other embellishments in the layout, but you MUST use at least 1 photo that has been cut and pieced, I did several in my sample page.

You have 2 hours to finish your page, and please don't forget to use JANVSBNK in your keywords!

I'll see you in the chat thread here. Happy scrappin' y'all!!!
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-cancunvsbn4.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-sketchvsbn4.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-274-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNL
Coach: basement stamper
Challenge Name: Brisk Bobsledding

Get yourself prepared for this very fast-paced race through the ice with your very own bobsled run! You�ll need to get your ideas off & running for THIS competition!

The MOST important thing in this Winter Olympic sport is the bobsled itself. It is made of fiberglass so that it�s light weight and will go fast on the run. It also has steel runners on the bottom to help build up speed so that it glides smoothly & easily on the ice & snow!

So�for THIS challenge, you will need to hurry up & push your ideas to make up a layout using metal and/or faux metal accents, paper, embellishments, etc. AND also the cracked glass technique somewhere on your layout!!

*Please note*: If you do NOT have any metal embellishments, you can try your hand at any faux metal ideas. Here a link to one you can use:

And here is the link that shows you how to do the cracked glass technique:

And remember that I am in the chat thread in case you have any questions!!

Good luck!! In this competition, the bobsled can make you or �break� you�so get your bobsleds off & running!! GO!!!!!!!! You need to upload your page with JANVSBNL in the keywords.

Here�s a sample layout that I�ve completed to give you some inspiration:
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-100_1981-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-264-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-263-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNM
Coach: scrapdillyicious
Challenge Name: You go girl

I would like to recognize the very first women in the winter Olympics. Her name is Sonja Henie she competed in 1924 which was the very first Winter Olympics. She was 11 years old.

My challenge to you is to create a vintage page using photos in Sepia or Black and white. Use only blacks, grays, creams for your papers. If you distress your paper using inks or distressing tools that will be a bonus. I want you to celebrate the women in your life. Women you look up to. If you don�t have anyone then celebrate yourself. Do something for you. To show us your achievements.

My page is for my mother. My father was the love of her life and what better gift to give her is to give her a memory of their beginning together.

I hope you enjoy my challenge. I enjoyed creating this gift for my mother.

Don�t forget to finish your page in less than two hours and upload your page with JANVSBNM in the keyword. I�ll be in the challenge chat thread for the next two hours if you have any questions!
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-img_0046.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-259-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-260-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNN
Coach: kimreid_stamper
Challenge Name: �She Scraps, She SCORES!!!�

I think some of the most amazing winter sports played in the Olympics are the ones done on ICE!! Speed skating, figure skating and of course, a Canadian favorite, HOCKEY!! This challenge will have you thinking about the surface those awesome sports are played on...........the ICE RINK!! It starts out as a beautifully smooth and shiny piece of ice, but AFTER the competitors have performed or played their games, the rink is all scored and 'groovy'!! And what technique makes our glossy paper look scored and 'groovy'??? Faux Linen, of course!!!

Your challenge is to include the Faux Linen technique somewhere on your layout!! If you've never done this technique, go here to get a tutorial: Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers Keep in mind that darker colours show up better.

Please also use knotted ribbon on your pages and as a bonus, use some metal embellishments!! Now go to it!! She Scraps, She SCORES!!!!!!!!!!

I will be in the chat thread for the next two hours if you have any questions. Don�t forget to use the keyword JANVSBNN when you upload you page!
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-vsbn2-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-vsbn3-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-vsbn4-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNN
Coach: kimreid_stamper
Challenge Name: �She Scraps, She SCORES!!!�

additional samples
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-vsbn1-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-261-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-262-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNO

Coach: Scrown8301
Challenge Name: Try To Resist My Olympic Experience!

I had the coolest Olympic experience back in 2002! I got to be in Salt Lake during the Winter Games! At the time I worked in downtown Salt Lake in one of those tall office buildings. I worked on the 12th floor. I remember one day walking over to the window and looking down (wasn�t easy since I�m afraid of heights) and seeing a sea of colors. You see, each country had their own colored coat that signified whose country/team they were apart of. It was awesome to see. I remember standing there thinking that those coats of many colors signified how the whole world had come together in one place, united, to show team spirit. It truly was peaceful (especially since it was right after 9/11) and it was a sight to see. Imagine my excitement as I got to go down after work each day and walk around and meet new people from all over the world and just take in the whole experience. So why am I telling you all this? Well here is my challenge to you ** please make note, this is two part challenge**:

Part 1. You need to make a page (can be a single page layout or double page layout) using the colors of a different country's flag (that�s how the whole colored coats thing comes in). (Do NOT do a page using colors from the country you live in now) For instance, my sample pages are using the colors from the Greek flag, Blue and white and the colors of the German Flag, Black, Yellow, and Red. To help you out, here is a website I found with the different countries flags: http://www.flags.net/ *******Make sure to tell me when you upload what countries flag you used as your color scheme.

Now for Part 2. What would the winter games be without powdery snow! So break out that Embossing Powder! We are doing Emboss Resist on our pages! Click here for Beate�s awesome tutorial on how to do this fun technique! Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

I can�t wait to see all your fun creations! I will be hanging out in the challenge chat thread if you have questions. Don�t forget to finish your page in under two hours and upload your page with the keyword JANVSBNO
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-resist_the_colors_scrown8301_kira_and_tammy.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-resist_the_colors_scrown8301_mommy_and_me.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-270-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNP
Coach: thuskins
Challenge Name: National Anthem

In honor of the playing the national anthem during the award ceremonies, I challenge you to make a layout using the colors of your country's flag and include the use of the kissing technique.

Extra points for including your country in the page. For example Independence Day, Canada Day etc.

If your country (state or province if in US or Canada) is not in the location field under your avatar, please include it in the additional comments when you upload your pic.

The kissing technique is done buy "kissing" two stamps together before stamping on paper. First ink up a finely patterned stamp onto a bold image stamp and then use the bold image to stamp on the paper.

For this challenge you can also do the reverse kiss. First ink up the bold stamp image (I used the flower from Best Blossoms) and stamp off on a finely patterned stamp (I used Linen BG) before stamping on the page.

Good luck, have fun, and let's see some kissing. I will be in the chat thread for the next two hours if you have any questions. Remember to use the keyword JANVSBNP when uploading your page
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-audrey_harris.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-annie_carol_lavinia_dickieson.jpg  

Last edited by Favorite Grandma; 01-21-2007 at 05:03 PM..
Stazon Splitcoast

JANVSBNP
Coach: thuskins
Challenge Name: National Anthem

my samples I used Antique Cracking in the Print Pattern on the second page.
Attached Thumbnails
January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-255-t.jpg   January VSBN Winter Olympics Challenges-page-254-t.jpg  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is the last challenge that will be posted for the January VSBN. I had so much fun being your Chief Information Officer during the Winter Olympics!

I hope you had fun and learned a new technique or two.

Everyone is doing such wonderful work, and I applaud you all for working so hard to scrapbook your memories!

Don't forget, you have till Monday night, 1/22, at midnight EST to have all your pages uploaded in order to be considered for judging.

The judges will have till Wednesday night, 1/24, at 5:00 EST to contact me with the Gold, Silver and Bronze medalists from their challenge.

I will announce the medalists from each challenge on Wednesday evening in the VSBN forum.

A special gallery "January VSBN Winter Olympics Medalists" will be formed for the winnering layouts.

Good luck! I hope you enjoyed your time at the Winter Olympics!