Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2004, 05:23 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite VersaMark techniques

So what are your favorite techniques or projects to do with this ink? I'm teaching a class on the versatility of VersaMark and even though I have some ideas, I'd love to have more!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 05:38 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think Poppin' Pastels is my fave Versamark technique, but you probably already know that one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 05:44 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I like being able to emboss in all 48 ink colors using my VersaMark, dye ink pad and clear embossing powder. Simply tap your stamp in VersaMark, then press stamp once into your dye ink pad, stamp and emboss with clear embossing powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 05:53 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Mine is just basic watermark background stamping. I show how it looks on all the different colors....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 05:59 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I love the watermark stamping. I use that all the time for backgrounds. My favorite new thing is one I learned right here. Stamp in versamark on glossy paper. Brayer over with your choice of water based ink. Looks gorgeous. I did it at a workshop a couple of weeks ago and people were thrilled.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Here's something I keep on file that I got someplace!

Versatile Versamark

Versatile VersaMark . . .
One Pad Many Great Uses

1. A TRULY CLEAR EMBOSSING PAD - Use like you would the Top Boss. Just stamp and emboss with colored powder or clear powder for a see through shine.

2. A WATERMARK - This is great for backgrounds, it will deepen the shade of colored paper wherever you stamp. Just think about this, for every color of paper you own, you now have a complementary color of ink!

3. POPPIN' PASTELS - There are a couple of ways to accomplish this effect on light colored card stocks. 1.) Apply chalks to the area to be stamped, stamp with VersaMark and allow to dry or use heat gun. Then rub gently with a clean cotton ball. You can get a dramatic effect by adding more chalk to a cotton ball or dauber after you stamped with the VersaMark. Or you can emboss while stamped image is still wet with clear embossing powder and the image will jump out at you! 2.) Stamp first then chalk
gently over the stamped area and watch the image "magically" appear. You can follow this same
technique but replace Pearl Ex Pigment Powders in place of chalks.

4. REVERSE PASTELS (AKA PULLIN' PASTELS) - This time you use brightly colored chalk to cover dark colored card stock (Basic Black, Night of Navy, Close to Cocoa, Old Olive, etc.) and then stamp over the chalked area. The ink will pull out the color of the paper from beneath the chalk. Be sure to clean the stamp before re-inking it as the chalk you removed is now on your stamp and you will dirty your VersaMark pad.

5. SHADOWING - This is a technique to use with Spectrum pads and word stamps but you can use it for anything really. Just stamp directly over your first image. Because you will seldom be exact you will make a shadow that gives the initial image a 3-D effect. You can even take it a step further and emboss with a transparent powder like Pearl or Iridescent Ice.

6. BRAYER RESIST - This technique looks great when done with VersaMark. Stamp image(s) onto Glossy White card stock. Gently wipe away the ink using a lotion-free tissue and small circular motion. Ink up your brayer and roll it over the paper. Wherever the VersaMark ink was stamped, the paper will resist the colored ink from your brayer. This works on matte card stock but looks better on glossy.

7. VERSAMARK & 2-STEP STAMPIN - Stamp the same image first w/VersaMark & then with metallic (Encore). Just shift the image a little bit when stamping the metallic ink. It gives it a shadowed look. Looks great on baroque burgundy and forest foliage!

8. EMBOSSING ON GLASS - Using the embossing buddy first, then using the VersaMark to stamp the image on a glass container, then emboss with detail gold or silver. Fill it with candy and tie a ribbon on it.

9. EMBOSSING WITH YOUR 48 STAMPIN! UP PADS - Ink your stamp with VersaMark, then stamp on one of our 48 color pads or you can use a dauber to apply the color ink if you are worried about the color pad. Stamp and use clear embossing powder. Heat. Now you can emboss and be perfectly coordinated with the SU! Markers, cardstock and inkpads. Be certain to clean stamp before re-inking on VersaMark pad or you will leave color on it.

10. DISCREET JOURNALING LINES - Although the VersaMark ink is sticky when applied, it dries like regular ink and loses the stickiness. It is Acid-free and safe for scrapbook pages. It works perfectly on all of our colored cardstock.

11. BATIK TECHNIQUE - Simply stamp your image using VersaMark on ultrasmooth white or confetti or some other light CS and then emboss with clear embossing powder. Let cool. Then gently wad paper into a ball or you could fold it into a small square for a different look. Unfold it and smooth it out. Place it on a towel and wet with water so the paper is very damp. Next ink your brayer with a Spectrum pad and brayer across the paper. The image will stay white while the ink will seep into cracks and the rest of the paper will have a batik look. (Like back in the 70's when you applied wax to a pattern on a shirt and then dipped it in dye, cooled and chipped the wax away. Like far out man!)

12. EMBOSSING BRADS - Another great use for VersaMark... Take a brass fastener, pinch it in a clothes pin, dip the head in VersaMark, then dip in embossing powder, heat with heat gun, while powder is still wet, dip again in embossing powder & heat one last time. After it cools down you will have a nice enamel type colored coating on your fastener.

13. PRESERVING CHILDREN'S HAND PRINTS - VersaMark is a great pigment ink to use on little kids' hands to make embossed hand prints, because it is clear and cleans up easily. Grown-ups should do the embossing of the sweet little handprints since the powder can be messy and the heat gun is hot. But let the little ones watch their handprint turn to gold or silver before their eyes - they LOVE it! And I'm sure you can imagine how the moms, dads, or grandparents will love their precious one's little handprint preserved in gold!

14. HEAT & STICK - Use it with heat and stick powder to add glittery glitz or flocking to any project.

15. A PROTECTIVE COATING FOR SCISSORS - Rub on your Craft & Rubber Scissors and it will keep them from getting all gunky with sticky stuff.

16. CLEAR EMBOSS RESIST - Use it with clear embossing powder on white, vanilla, naturals, confetti, kraft or any soft colored paper. Then sponge over the clear embossed image and watch it pop out.

17. POLY SHRINK - Use it on poly shrink projects. After you shrink your item press it into the VersaMark pad. Add the clear or translucent powder of your choice and heat. Repeat till you get the thickness and look you want.

18. FULL COVERAGE EMBOSSING - Brayer with the VersaMark over a stamped image and use glassy glaze embossing powder. This will give you an all over gloss. Repeat till it is the thickness you want.

19. SOOT STAMPING - Hold glossy card stock over an oil lamp with the flame turned up high to leave deposits of soot on it. Using a clean stamp, ink it with the VersaMark pad and then stamp on the soot. The stamp removes the soot and leaves a bit different effect than if you stamp with just the bare rubber. Be sure to clean stamp in-between EACH time you stamp on your soot project so you won't get any of it on your VM pad. You must then spray with a fixative.

20. VERSAMARK IS FOR KIDS!! VersaMark is a GREAT kid's inkpad. Just let the little ones stamp their little hearts out without ever worrying about an ink mess on those precious little hands or faces or table . . . or anything else for that matter! It doesn't stain the wood on the stamps either. Encourage your young ones to watch for the "magic ink" . . . Just a second of waiting and they will see the image magically appear. This is great for elementary students in a classroom sitting too.

VersaMarker . . . Great Uses

* Use it on dark cardstock to add details - such as stitch marks, dots or other designs.
* Great for embossing personal messages.
* Use it to create subtle lines for journaling in your scrapbook.
* Great for creating shadows for stamped images or stamped greetings.
* Use it to touch up any broken lines or thin spots that were "missed" during the standard heat
embossing process. Just touch it to the thin spots, sprinkle on a little more powder and heat it.
Voila! Now you have a solidly embossed image.

VersaMark Re-Inker In Wheel Cartridges

YES you can ink up an empty Stampin' Around cartridge with the VersaMark ink! As a matter of fact, I now only use VersaMark ink for all my (clear) embossing needs. I have said "so long" to my old clear embossing inks that were never really clear anyway.

Here are some ideas for using the wheel when inked with the VersaMark refill:

* Doing this allows you to make your own designer background paper for scrapbooking. Or roll a whole sheet of card stock at once and cut it into 1/4 sheet size and now you have the first layer for 4 quick cards.

* Ink up your cartridge with VersaMark and roll onto card stock. Then use your chalks and sponge applicator to do the Poppin' Pastels technique. This makes a great background or foreground to attach to any card.

* Create some Pearl Ex "Zing". The VersaMark ink is the best ink to use when doing the dry application method with Pearl Ex. Simply roll your VersaMark inked wheel onto your paper and use a soft bristled paint brush to apply the Pearl Ex powder. You will be amazed with how easy this is and how stunning the results!

* Use it to create Quick Wrappers:
~ Make candy bar wrappers. You can even sprinkle on embossing powder and heat set if you choose. Sprinkle on several different colors of embossing powder for a trendy look.
~ Make a wrap around for a candle. Roll onto card stock and mix several colors of embossing powder to create your own special design. I love the look I achieved when mixing white with red and using that in conjunction with the Candy Cane Christmas Wheel or the Candy Wheel. Then wrap around a matching red candle and tie with Raffia.

* Roll onto Vellum and emboss with gold embossing powder. This technique makes beautiful tea light lampshades or is a great way to add a front layer to that special wedding card.

Tips:
* When inking a dry cartridge for the first time it may take several hours for the VersaMark ink to fully penetrate the cartridge. The VersaMark is a very thick ink and it takes time to sink into the sponge in the cartridge, but with patience it'll be worth the effort!

* Here is a little "trick" you may want to try to ink the cartridge for the first time ONLY. . . before inking with the VersaMark put a little standard clear embossing ink refill onto the dry cartridge but only enough to moisten it. Then slowly add the VM section by section rolling the wheel with your finger until you have completed inking the entire wheel.

* You may need to re-ink before every use. You will get much clearer lines and deeper images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Dee,

Thanks for the tips. I actually have that file, too. I was just curious about folks' personal preferences!

So keep answering, guys! Help me convince my friends this the must-have ink we all know it is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

My personal favorite is stamping an image in Versamark on colored cardstock, then embossing it with clear embossing powder. It's a slightly darker shade of the cardstock. Then I go in and highlight area with bleach. Very simple and beautiful technique.
Gretchen in SC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Default how about.......

dazzling diamonds............. rub your versamark over a piece of glossy that you have stamped on and brayered with a colour. cover with the irridescent ice and emboss. it is gorgeous
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I woudl have to say versamrk resist. With a brayer.

Try it with night of navy and glossy CS witht eh trees in lovely as a tree.

awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I love stamping a line image and them embossing with metallic (gold, silver, copper) EP. Instant elegance.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 06:00 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I like stamping an image with versamark and covering it with Pearl Ex. It's so pretty! You can use a Swiffer cloth to wipe away the extra Pearl Ex after you've covered the entire image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 06:11 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I use Versamark for the background (watermark effect) with stamps and my wheel, and with chalks.

That's all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #14  
hgh
Matboard Maniac

I love the versa mark for embossing & chalks, you can really create a soft & shaded image with the chalks. Q-tips & cotton balls make great applicators.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I use mine mostly for emboss resist.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

All of the above!

...next to black, I use versamark the most

...no matter where you are, there you are! my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

that would be me too, next to black I use versamark more then anything, and even though my pad looks horrible I clean it up and reink it and it is good as new! I love this pad for all the above techniques!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #18  
PAPER SCAPER

Something new I started using VM for is forming light beams with it.
Here's a card example with some directions. Don't brush it on thick or it may take days to dry. It can't be used on high gloss paper either.

I also use a straight pen and the re inker to make stars but that was after I did this card linked. Just touch the pen to the liquid and lightly touch the card. This all needs to dry before it gets brayered or it picks it up and puts it where you don't want it and your left with what my friend did - stars in the grass. I told her they were fallen stars.
Any further question you can PM me.
Reply With Quote Likes