Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-08-2004, 06:08 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sets and inks should I get in my Starter Kit????!!!

Yeeee-haw! My wonderful DH has given me the go-ahead to sign up! I've been trying for a while to figure out what to get in my Starter Kit, and now I want to be DONE with this and mail out my paperwork early next week.

But ... which sets should I get in my Starter Kit? I'm getting the Stampin' Memories Add-On, and I'm getting the Pure N Simple Upper Alpha with it. But I'm stuck on what stamp sets and what ink pads to get in my stampin' kit.

My problem is, I'm not a "cutesy" stamper. I really debated even on getting Fresh Flowers because it has (to me) kinda "cutesy" or "whimsical" bugs -- but after looking at it for a LONG time, I think I like it! (I love daisies!) I really like shape sets, and I like more realistic flowers, too -- one big reason I'm signing up is that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Stipple Hydrangea -- I bought it in my last order from my upline.

I have a lot of stamp sets already (fortunately, I got Smorgasborders and another one in Sellabration last year, as well as others that weren't retired, yay!). As for colors, I'm planning to get Earth Elements cardstock (instead of the Bold Brights). But which ink pads should I get? If you're a demo, which did you get? What would you do differently? I'm thinking: Close to Cocoa, Creamy Caramel ... and then I'm stumped.

This is a geat place, and you all have already given me a really warm welcome! I really appreciate it, and I can't wait to learn more, more and MORE!

-- Heather
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 06:21 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Okay I am not a demo but I am an Earth Elements FREAK!!! Those are AWESOME colors.

Musts include: more mustard, old olive, and ruby red.

Other greats: cameo coral, garden green, creamy caramel, & summer sun.

Good luck & have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 06:23 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thanks!!!

Ooooh, I hadn't thought of More Mustard! DANG, this is a HARD DECISION!

But it's going to be fun!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 06:27 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

It's so overwhelming isn't it? I always go crazy when I'm trying to put together an order--I want it all.

I hope I didn't mess up your order but I tell you: I got more mustard and old olive as complimentary colors but they are two that I pull out first every time. They are SOOOOO useful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 06:47 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Default what to get

Tags and More. I find it so useful. I also have Love Without End, I love it but am getting tired of it. I am in the process of trying to justify signing up also. I am sure I am, it's mostly just when to do it?
I also agree, ruby red, mellow moss, old olive, choc. chip and night of navy are a must.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:02 PM   #6  
SCS Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default starter kit

I just signed up and I am anxiusly awaiting the arrival of my starter kit.. should be here Thursday. I was told there are some shipping delays due to teh influx of SU orders due to teh new catty

I have quite a few stets and couldnt decide what to get either ...

ended up ordering

seaside sketches
in full bloom
perfect party
all wrapped up
all wrapped up accessories
the fishy wheel that matches (fishy friends since i have that set)

changed all the reccommended ink pads ...

CANNOT WAIT FOR TEH ARRIVAL NOW i am just nervous about getting parties!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thank you!!!

I really appreciate the vote for Tags & More. I had it on my wishlist forever, even contemplated buying it on eBay before I found my demo (soon to be my upline!). But then I started wondering ...

I swear, I can make decisions about life-altering things in a heartbeat! But when it comes to WHICH COLORS SHOULD I BUY???? it takes me FOREVER to decide!

I just added More Mustard to my list!

I have a question about the browns: Could I see samples (on cards, in real life!) of Close to Cocoa and Chocolate Chip? I've been leaning toward Close to Cocoa (I love fall leaf stamps!), but would Chocolate Chip be better?

Love all the input -- let's hear more!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

It's me again. . . . .you're going to be sick of me before the night's over.

I would choose close to cocoa--it's gorgeous! a little bit lighter. Chocolate chip is really dark (nice but I adore close to cocoa).

If you want to see samples in the gallery go to the main page of the gallery and type the color names in the search box and all the cards that come up will use that color. It's a great way for you to see samples as you're deciding (it's also a great trick once you get a bunch of stamp pads and you're looking for color combinations--you can see samples and see what combinations catch your eye)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Ginapier ...

Ginapier, which inks did you get? I thought it would be fairly easy to choose my colors -- WRONG!

My next "real" order is going to include Stipple Shells and the matching wheel. I have TONS of pictures from my daughter's first trip to the beach, plus we're planning to go again this year, PLUS my college friends and I just had a reunion Beach Day.

Could someone tell me: Does the Springtime wheel "match" the Fresh Flowers set? I plan to get the Fresh Flowers set, but I don't like the Bugs & Blossom wheel so much. I like the Springtime wheel better.

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Amy, you're being really helpful!!! I definitely WON'T be sick of you!! I could talk about SU (Which should I get?) all day -- or night! -- long!

I'm really leaning toward Close to Cocoa, too -- I just love that color. I feel the same way -- it's a nice lighter brown. That color really just is the kind of thing I like! Subtle fall stuff!

THANKS!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm a new demo too - I've had my Starter Kit for about two weeks. I already had Fresh Flowers, and Itty Bitty Backgrounds, so I didn't need those. I chose these sets:

In Full Bloom (popular new flower set - very versatile - can use new Aquapainter with it.
Birthday Banter (new set with the cow and the frog - humorous and something different than all the other sets I have).
All Year Cheer I (you have to get that one!)
Shape-Ups (like Simple Shapes from old catalog)
Simple Sayings II (I needed more sentiments)

I got the Whirly Twirly wheel with the Ballet Blue cartridge (my first wheel - I'm not really into the wheels, but that could change!)

I chose the Bold Brights cardstock assortment. But I did the Stampin' Memories Add-On and got the 12x12 Earth Elements cardstock that I can always cut down to use for cards. In the Memories Add-On, I substituted the AlphaDots since it's a different style alphabet than the Classic alpha that I already have.

As for the inks, I got ones I didn't have. I already had a LOT of them. I got the rest of my Bold Brights and got the Black (I didn't have the SU black b/c I had other brands of black) and I also got the new Classic Waterproof Basic Brown. The Memories add-on comes with your choice of craft ink, and I got the new Vanilla. I also got the Bold Brights tag sheets. I got the Soft Subtles Tag sheets before and I really like them - fast and easy for cards and SB pages!

If you're an Earth Elements gal, I'd definitely include Really Rust in your ink selection! And what about some Fall stamps to go along with those great colors? I LOVE Fall Whimsy (I'm getting that one in my first Hostess Order, hopefully that will be placed in a week!).

Hope this helps!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:37 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Susan, that's GREAT! Really helpful!!! Now I'm adding Really Rust to my list of inks! Oh, boy ... that's going to be long.

I already have all 48 Stampin' Spots, so that's something to consider. I have all the colors for personal use, but since I'll be using the full-size pads in workshops, I need to consider that. I bought one set of spots each month. It took a while.

I also already have All-Year Cheer I, II and III -- I bought all three during Sellabration this year! I was sort of thinking a bit about becoming a demo back then, and I always try to get versatile stuff.

So far, on the stamps, I'm thinking: Fresh Flowers (that's about as whimsical as I get as far as flowers go!), Shape-Ups (I recently ordered Simple Shapes, I think it is -- the big rectangles, outlines, etc., so I'll have that, too), It's a Party! (for my "invitation" stamps -- I LOVE that monkey stamp!!!). I'm thinkng now about In Full Bloom and Tags & More.

But now I'm wondering if the colors I like (Earth Elements) match the stamps I like. Any thoughts?

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

I just got my new demo kit and like you I got the earth elements instead of bold brights. I think you should get a ballet blue ink pad. I know I know that is not a earh element it is a rich regal but it goes great with all the colors. Just thought you could spice it up a little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:43 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

nipmats,

That is a GREAT idea. I was wondering that, too -- and a blue like that would go well with some browns, some reds, etc. Awesome!

OK, so I wish there was a way to add about ... oh, 43 more ink pads to the 5 we get in our kits!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

If you're going the earth elements route, you might think about getting the stuff for the All Natural kit. That way you can demonstrate around the kit... The kit has More Mustart, Old Olive, and Really Rust. But if you want to do the All Natural inspiration sheet, you might want to also get Summer Sun and Ruby Red (both really nice colors!)

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:53 PM   #16  
SCS Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ink colors

I actually bout all of the ink spots since it was teh affordable way to own all of the SU colors. I think I really am going to push this at workshops because I love them! It is also a great way to determone which colors you love and use most to persuade you into buying a larger pad ion that color...

Here is my choices for teh starter kit:

Ballet Blue
Summer Sun
Old Olive
Positively Pink
More Mustard
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 08:23 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

There's an All Natural inspiration sheet???? See what I miss, not being a demo???!!! The only way I've been able to see the Inspiration Sheets is on eBay, so I'm not really sure of all the ones out there.

But I love that idea -- and I love that set, too. Darn it! ANOTHER ONE I LIKE! (Some of my friends just say that SU is a BAD THING -- we want too much of it, lol!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 08:58 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Just a thought... The new basic brown is really nice and it would compliment those earth elements really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2004, 11:41 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

When I signed up I already had boughten all of the BB ink colors so I switched mine to EE and love EE. I think those colors are my favorites. I also switched out the stamp sets. Some I didn't really care for so I switched one for Love w/o End. I love all flower stamps, etc.
Felicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 02:05 AM   #20  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I only have 4 BB colors to get yet and then will have all 48 ink pads! I am a color freak so to speak, my DH just told me to get them all!! So when it comes time to order my starter kit I have those 4 last ones to get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 04:41 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

As for colors, I'd get old olive, more mustard or summer sun, ruby red.

I may be strange, but I always recommend NOT getting Perfect Party. It's hard to get a perfect stamped image with the wide surfaced stamps and I want my customers to have instant success when they stamp. I'd choose Polka Dot Party instead.

Have you chosen your sets yet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 04:48 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by readsomething
So far, on the stamps, I'm thinking: Fresh Flowers (that's about as whimsical as I get as far as flowers go!), Shape-Ups (I recently ordered Simple Shapes, I think it is -- the big rectangles, outlines, etc., so I'll have that, too), It's a Party! (for my "invitation" stamps -- I LOVE that monkey stamp!!!). I'm thinkng now about In Full Bloom and Tags & More.

But now I'm wondering if the colors I like (Earth Elements) match the stamps I like. Any thoughts?

-- Heather
I think In Full Bloom and Tags & More are great choices!

Given the sets you've chosen, I'd go with Creamy Caramel, Close to Cocoa, Cameo Coral , Ruby Red and Garden Green.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 05:12 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Dee those are great suggestions...I agree...for one thing the ruby red and garden green are great for Christmas too! Something to consider. I do think adding a blue into the mix on next go-round would be good for the snowman in Tags and More.
Don't worry there is always something you'll want, no matter how long you are a demo! Does that take some of the pressure off? or add to it?

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 06:24 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

These are all such great suggestions!!! I'm sure that with my new demo discount (heh heh) I can order a couple more full-size ink pads soon. And I have to remind myself that I do have all the Spots, so ... I have access to all the colors.

You're right -- there IS always something else I'll want, darn it! And I haven't even considered the Holiday Mini Catalog yet!!!

I hadn't even considered Cameo Coral! But I think I do need a pinkish one. Siiiigh! Decisions, decisions!!!

Thanks, everyone! Keep the suggestions coming -- I'll probably be making my list and crossing things out and writing new things in right before I copy it onto the form and seal that envelope!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 06:30 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I already have all 48 Stampin' Spots, so that's something to consider. I have all the colors for personal use, but since I'll be using the full-size pads in workshops, I need to consider that.

Im sending in new demo paper work this morning, so I don't have personal experience yet, maybe some seasoned demos will help us, but I don't think it would be a bad thing to use the spots at work shops along with bigger pads, I think you could really sell those to "new stampers" as an inex. way to get all ink colors quickly.

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 06:35 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

First of all, congratulations on becoming a demonstrator. You'll have a great time. I must put in a plug for Fresh Flowers. I know its cutsie but it has a univeral appeal. It is important to show items that the masses will love. It is a great set to use with poppin pastels. I sell a ton of pastel sets whenever I demo this. A new stamper will have all 48 colors when they get a versamark and the pastels. It such an easy sell.

Just my 2 cents,
Michelle Y
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 06:58 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

You're right! Of course I'll be using those in workshops!! Thanks!!! I love those little spots -- I've already used them so many times, myself.

They are really fun to use, and they're a great bargain!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2004, 07:00 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Michelle Y,

What are Poppin' Pastels? I know there are Pastels, but is the Poppin' Pastels something different? Is it a technique to demo?

Thanks!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2004, 10:43 PM   #29  
Inking Addict

I am all over this thread. Lets see...I already have In full bloom, Lets Party, Holiday Spirit, love notes, little layer II, fishy friends, nice and narrow, all natural, Birthday Greetings,Mini messages, soft swirls, Groovy Lines, a little love, parisian plaza.

Inks, have these already. green galore, tempting turquoise, only orange, positivley pink, basic black, creamy caremal, more mustard, ruby red, choc chip, old olive,night of navy,mellow moss, pale plum, perfect plum. What direction next?

so... thinking of going the EE route, I can demo the all natural stampin kit, just need really rust pad, may get all the best later. I love it, but is similar in style to shapes and shadows.

Ordering:
itty bitty backgrounds...not sure about this. How much does it get used?and what could I sub it for?

fresh flowers...no...already have in full bloom. Not sure what to get. May need to track down the new mini catty!

tags and more..switching for word play

perfect party, already have Lets party..not sure. What about figures of speech? could be good for tags.

all year cheer, tempted to switch for shapes and shadows,

wheel: confetti play...what color ink for the wheel..I have a versamark and black so far, and no other SU wheels

LOL I have changed my list again, just while typing this out. I have not decided if I will wait till september to send in my forms, or if I will start next week.
Philippa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2004, 11:03 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Philippa, not sure if this will help you decide when to send in your forms, but ... when you start during a quarter, you get the rest of that quarter as a "free ride" -- you don't have to make the minimums. So I say, GO AHEAD, start now! :twisted:

Here's what I chose, and my reasoning:

1) Shape-Ups: I'm addicted to shape stamps. Not sure why, but ... I am. I have Simple Shapes, the "big set," on order right now from another demo. Shape-Ups fit the price range for this substitution. :-)
2) Fresh Flowers: This one was tough. I really debated it. I am NOT a whimsy person, and I felt that this set is kind of ... cartoony. BUT ... when I thought about it, I realized I have a "hole" in my stamp sets, and this one fits -- it's kind of light. Most of mine are more botanical, "realistic." This one is ... cute, but not QUITE cutesy. So, we'll see. I also think it will be easy to demo should I ever decide to do workshops, rather than simply begging friends to buy. :-)
3) It's A Party: The "recommended" Party set was too cutesy for me. The It's A Party one is a bit edgier -- I LOVE IT. Love that monkey, love that pig, love it, love it. Now I want the confetti wheel, too, because I think it goes well with this set.
4) Good Times: I've wanted this one for a while. A good mix of little words, little images. I can do a collagey-type thing, or a triptych on one card, etc. This will be good paired with the Shape-Ups, I think. I really like the "nuclear" or "atomic" image with this set -- I think I can do cool things with this and the It's a Party animals.
5) Lovely as a Tree: This set takes my breath away. I'm definitely an Earth Elements fan, and I can't WAIT to get my hands on this set! Lovely Leaves is also on my wish list.

The colors I picked: More debates with myself here. CAN I REALLY ONLY GET ... FIVE COLORS???? Siiiigh.

1) Old Olive
2) More Mustard
3) Ruby Red
4) Close to Cocoa
5) Bordering Blue

Now, keep in mind -- I have all the Stampin' Spots. So I have access to all the colors. But I felt that these full-size pads would be the best use. I like the first four a LOT -- and based on the samples I saw in the gallery here, I wanted Bordering Blue for a little contrast. (And to make blue flowers, darn it!)

My next order will be full-size pads of: Creamy Caramel, Cameo Coral, Really Rust, and of course that Lovely Leaves set.

So. I hope I got the best stuff for me. I think I did.

AND ... IT SHIPPED TODAY!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! IT SHIPPED!! IT SHIPPED!!! MY KIT HAS SHIPPED!!!! WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!

I've spent today making cards with Petal Prints. LOVE THAT SET. (And from the numbers in the gallery, I'm not the only one!) Now I need to challenge myself to use the other three color families, not just Earth Elements.

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 12:13 AM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Heather, You wrote:
"OK, so I wish there was a way to add about ... oh, 43 more ink pads to the 5 we get in our kits!"

I am a new demo. I just hosted my first open house this week and placed my first order this evening. Of course, I receive 30% instant income with that first order, so I used the income and took advantage of the 30% for myself and made a pretty good order. I got entire sets of stamp pads and stocked up on cardstock sets and other supplies to help my business grow. Just an idea.

~LeighShek
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2004, 07:07 AM   #32  
Inking Addict

Thank you. I just added shape ups to my list. Not sure how I missed that one in the price catagory.
Philippa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #33  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I am thinking ahead to when I can order mine. Need to think of a neat set of flowers that won't retire on me next year !! lol... I think I will be getting All Year Cheer 2, Shape Ups, and Birthday Banter but not sure on the other 2 sets yet. Luckily I only need 5 more BB pads to complete all the colors in the new pads.(knew hubby would give in eventually so didn't order those last 5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 09:25 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by readsomething

AND ... IT SHIPPED TODAY!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! IT SHIPPED!! IT SHIPPED!!! MY KIT HAS SHIPPED!!!! WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!

-- Heather
LOL - I see you doin' the happy dance! Got my kit Friday. Didn't even open it until yesterday afternoon!! But...I wasted NO TIME and got all but 2 sets mounted!!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 10:02 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

When I was choosing my kit in March the first thing I did was check out the galleries for great cards to case for my workshops...this way I ordered sets that I could use right away... I have found Perfect Party to be awesome for workshops...I have sold alot of them...and it is so much fun to make the kids cards for all the parties they go to also... Enjoy your kit...you will not get much sleep once it arrives though!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 11:23 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so excited, but my kit isn't supposed to arrive until FRIDAY!!! Five more days!!! How am I going to survive?????? Now I know EXACTLY why you all follow your UPS guys around town!

I have to say, I love love love the SU Web site for demos. I love being able to track the orders online and everything.

Can you tell I'm excited?????

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #37  
Inking Addict

Kar. I havn't yet placed my demo kit order yet either. I think I am going to wait till after September 1st. The gallery here has been a huge source of inspiration for choosing my sets. That is where I found shapes and shadows. I always loved it, but seeing it combined with word play pushed me over the edge. I am also going to get the confetti wheel. But the big problem that this caused was having to remove All Year Cheer from my list (for now), but I think it will be on one of my first orders. ( I will have to check if my girlfriend has it, so I can borrow it)
Another flower set that is awesome is In Full Bloom. I am having so much fun with it, especially with thw aquapainter.

My list so far is shape ups, figures of speech, word play, shapes and shadows, confetti play, and I think the quirky alphas for the scrappin add on. Havn't a clue on pads yet.

Philippa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:10 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Philippa,

I love the All-Year Cheer sets. In fact, that was my first experience with SU -- I bought all three of them during Sellabration last year. (I saved my pennies up till then.) I just love having sentiments for holidays and stuff.

Your list sounds GREAT! Figures of Speech is on my wish list, and I WISH now that I had gotten the Confetti wheel, instead of the Springtime one. (I was looking for a wheel to match Fresh Flowers, which I also got -- I'm planning to demo those two things on one or two different projects.) But Confetti matches It's a Party! So, hmmm, I need to put that one on my wish list!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes