Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2005, 10:19 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new demo? Can I use my non SU heat tool, cutter, ect?

Does everything I use need to be SU? I understand about the paper, markers,pads etc. But what about the bigger ticket item supplies like these? I'm considering becoming a demo and wondered about this. Thanks In Advance, Nan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:22 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Default non SU items

Before I became a demonstrator (Feb) I attended a few workshops. My demo used a few big items that weren't SU & explained that she had purchased them before becoming a demonstrator, but that SU sells them on page .....

I think you can handle it that way. I am going to - like for my heat gun, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:30 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Default Re: new demo? Can I use my non SU heat tool, cutter, ect?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergstamper
Does everything I use need to be SU?
Well...yes...however, things like the paper trimmer do not have any identifiable SU! markings.

The heat tool does, and I can say from experience that the non-SU! tool doesn't heat up as quickly. I also had one literally burn out during a demo, I laughed it off as well, thank god, now I can replace it! That being said, you can use it, but point out to them that ASAP you are going to get the SU! version because xyz so if you don't have one already...get the SU! one, don't even bother wasting your $ on brand x... and your customers know that you are new and can't afford every little gadget right off the bat.

The biggest thing certainly are the inks, stamps and paper...I focus on these items as exclusive, the quality etc. people know they can get the big ticket items elsewhere (including adhesive) so I don't focus on that...I just get excited about what they can only get though me!

Good luck if you do decide to take the plunge...you'll have a blast!
Walnut Creek, California
email: [email protected]

Know someone who is buying or selling real estate? Relocating to the Bay Area? Let me know, I LOVE referrals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I just sent my paperwork to become a demo in today and was wondering the same thing. I'm planning on starting out as a hobby demo and if it works into more, thats fine. I already have a heat gun (very very old) and was already considering replacing it. Good question and good answers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

As a customer, I didn't care that my demo did not have everything that was emblazoned with the SU! logo. Like the first poster said, she just explained that she owned it before she became a demo. But at the same time, when I saw her use a tool that I wanted, it was nice to hear that it was available in the catalogue. It doesn't discourage me from buying it from SU if hers isn't SU. If I want the convenience of getting a heat gun or a bone folder (or whatever) along with all the other stuff I am buying, I will buy it from SU!

As a new demo, I'll tell my customers the same thing I felt as a customer ... Nope, I didn't buy mine from SU, but you can! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:50 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I agree with posts. You can't afford everything right away. Use what you have and let them know you bought it before. Goodluck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:52 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I became a demo in July, and I wrestled with this also. I have a Fiskars Triple-Track paper cutter from before I became a demo and it's almost exactly what SU sells, so I'm still using that.

As far as the heat tool goes, I had a Darice one (from Joann's) and it worked fine and I used it for a couple of stamp camps. Then I just decided to get the SU one - thinking I might have need for two at one workshop, at some point. So the SU heat tool arrived on Tuesday and I had a Stamp Camp on Wednesday. In one room, we were just setting white craft ink, but in the other room, we were doing real embossing. That's where I put my SU one and my cheapie one was in the other room. Everyone noticed a difference and one gal bought the SU heat tool even though she knows she can get a heat tool elsewhere for cheaper with a coupon!!

I wouldn't worry about not having EVERYTHING from SU, especially when you're starting out. Like the other said, you can explain that you had these things before you became a demo, etc.

I did buy the SU tool kit even though I had a Making Memories one. I really think ours works better with our eyelets. But most of the time, I do the eyelet-setting with the 2 hole punch method instead of using the eyelet setting tools.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 11:02 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default non SU "big" stuff

Actually ladies, we as demos, are NOT allowed to demonstrate with anything non SU. Read it in the demo manual. (Ijust realized that sounds very harsh, not trying to be).

The paper cutter has no distinct SU logos but is a different color. Logo and different color with the SNAIL adhesive. The heat gun does have it's markings.

As a new demo I didn't have all the SU "stuff right away. I bought as I went. If a hostess needed $15 to reach a new level I put in a $15 order, supplied me with SU stuff to demo and gave her what she needed to reach the next level (usually the $400- free mini catty set).

What I've also found out through personal experience is, our (SU) products truly are superior!!

Don't fret though and buy as you can. Also, for my own projects at home, I do not use the SU "mono", too expensive for all my "work" but when I demo, I use a SNAIL.

Blessings,

Annie
"Choose this day whom you will serve. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Well the demo kit is supposed to have what you need to get started as a demo....yet there's no paper cutter in it. Obviously you're not going to do a workshop and not show up with a paper cutter, right?? So I would not replace something that was provided to me in the demo kit with outside brands...like other adhesives or inks etc. But if someone asks me at a workshop "Can't I get a paper cutter at Michaels?", I would show them that SU sells it in the catalog and also that craft stores sell them in the scrapbooking section and some other stores too...but be careful of what you buy because some cut more accurately than others. Honesty is always the best policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 11:22 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I am so not an exclusivist

I am so not an exclusivist! I use all ink, paper, stamps and embellishments from SU. BUT there are things that just don’t matter, like the dry embossing table, I found an awesome one at Wal-mart for $6 on clearance I am not spending $40 for the SU one. A lot of my customers don’t even know the difference. I point out what is in the catalog but am upfront (it doesn’t happen often) if there is something I think is just as good somewhere else for less expensive I’ll tell them! They appreciate my honesty and trust me when I recommend something cause they know I won’t lie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 11:32 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

As far a paper cutter goes...I cut all my paper before the event and have extras. I really don't like ANY of the cutters we have carried and use a rotary cutter at home.(CTS makes it hard with the SU! cutting systems) I don't even mention it, I don't plan on selling any paper cutters since everyone can buy one at Mikes or Wally. JMHO. As far as the snail...it comes with the kit...I also have a mono left that came from SU! and I WILL use that as well since that is a pakaging change....and I feel we can demo it just like the old style markers and pads.

I do have 2 nonSU! heat tools...but like someone else said everyone wants to use the SU! one anyway so having the old heat tools works as an advantage. I use them for camps.

My 2 cents.

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 11:35 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

There's a fine line. YES, you can use MONO and not the SNAIL adhesive. I've personally called DS and been told if I got that with my kit, I can use it. I only have to explain the style has changed.

As for the heat gun.......it just frosts my chaps that people complain about other heat guns when in fact SU's gun is not exclusive to SU. It's just painted for SU distribution. Just like the SNAIL. I've been to multiple demos where they did not use the SU gun. I've had my Marvy FOREVER and it's great and better than the one SU gun I tried. It heats up fast and doesn't warp the paper.

As for the paper cutter. I use a huge one so I cut before hand. I don't ever worry about demoing a cutter since no one actually has to see you use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 12:07 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Actually, I just spoke to DS and they said that it's not against the rules to use the old style mono cartridge or cutters or a heat gun you already owned when you joined SU. They just said it's wise to invest in those items when finances allow to promote your business.

The reason I had to call them to ask is that there are two people in my customer base who are considering becoming demos. If I had to go back and tell them that they couldn't use their Marvy heat gun, blue mono cartridges, and blue Fiskars cutters, that would be a detriment to signing up because then it would cost $199 for the kit PLUS a new cutter, new heat gun, yadda, yadda, yadda....

I want to be ethical in my business and be true to the commitment I made to SU (and as I have learned things along the way I've started and stopped doing certain things as I've learned), but please know that you do not have to purchase all brand new SU accessories to become a demo...

Cheers!
:lol:

"Once the mind has been stretched by a new idea, it will never again return
to its original size."
--Oliver Wendell Holmes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks Staci for making the call. I think it would be a deterant to a lot of people if they felt pressure to buy heat guns, light tables, and cutters from SU or just not demo projects that require those things. SU makes a lot of money off brass templates and embossing powder. Without demos using their existing tools, they might actually be selling less EP and classy brassy templates. I know SU powder rocks and I would never demo anything else, nor do I feel I have to buy the SU gun to demo it. I demo the products, not the tools. And usually when I'm asked to demo EP it's because someone has bought a gun and wants to know how to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Excellent info. Thanks so much for being so helpful. Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 12:23 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosleepmommy
Well the demo kit is supposed to have what you need to get started as a demo....yet there's no paper cutter in it. Obviously you're not going to do a workshop and not show up with a paper cutter, right?? So I would not replace something that was provided to me in the demo kit with outside brands...like other adhesives or inks etc. But if someone asks me at a workshop "Can't I get a paper cutter at Michaels?", I would show them that SU sells it in the catalog and also that craft stores sell them in the scrapbooking section and some other stores too...but be careful of what you buy because some cut more accurately than others. Honesty is always the best policy.
Actually, when I was a demo I didn't bring my paper cutter along. I pre-cut everything. That way I didn't have to have the SU paper cutter...just used the one I had prior to being a demo. That's one way to get away with not having to buy a new paper trimmer until you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 12:26 PM   #17  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have some things that are not SU, and refuse to buy the replacement until my other one dies or breaks. I just explain to everyone that I had this stuff before I was a demo and that I was not going to replace it until the old one died or broke and I could justify the expense of replacing it.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 12:32 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
I've had my Marvy FOREVER and it's great and better than the one SU gun I tried. It heats up fast and doesn't warp the paper.
Amen sista. I had a fabulous Marvy that I "loaned" to my SIL in Minnesota. She replaced it w/the SU one (very nice of her) but I STILL have a hard time figuring out where it's going to heat. I totally miss my Marvy!!

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 12:47 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazygirl
Actually, when I was a demo I didn't bring my paper cutter along. I pre-cut everything. That way I didn't have to have the SU paper cutter...just used the one I had prior to being a demo. That's one way to get away with not having to buy a new paper trimmer until you can afford it.
Ahh...I see!! All the workshops I've gone to are done with the demo doing one or two projects and then the attendees doing 2-3 hands on make-and-take so everyone uses the cutter. I actually do like those hands on workshops especially for people new to stamping because I think it makes them have confidence that they can create things themselves.

stacicannady, thanks for calling and clearing that up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 01:01 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosleepmommy
Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazygirl
Ahh...I see!! All the workshops I've gone to are done with the demo doing one or two projects and then the attendees doing 2-3 hands on make-and-take so everyone uses the cutter. I actually do like those hands on workshops especially for people new to stamping because I think it makes them have confidence that they can create things themselves.

stacicannady, thanks for calling and clearing that up!
All of the workshops I've gone to have done it this way. I didn't realize demos brought their cutters to the workshops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 01:08 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

From a demo point of view...wanting to sell the most product I can at a workshop, I only use SU products period. If we don't carry it then I do not demo it. As for heat tools etc. yes it is a pain and costly to replace the items but it shows customers that I am dedicated to the company and will only use their products because in my opinion they are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 02:29 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I use SU products only - some of them I just happened to purchase before they changedt stuff (a la SNAIL vs Mono)...the only clarification here is that when you're new, it's not necessary to take out a small business loan to get started...you can just get started with what you have and then add your SU stuff as your business can afford it.

I totally agree that I love SU products and want to support my own biz so I don't want to be misleading about my point, just that it's OK to get started...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Once the mind has been stretched by a new idea, it will never again return
to its original size."
--Oliver Wendell Holmes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

As a SU customer - not a demonstrator, I prefer to see the SU 'exclusive' items that are used .... Stamp sets, papers, inks, wheels, etc... that is.... things that I can't get elsewhere. - I don't care what tools my demo uses! I'm not going to pay the $$$ for an item I can get at Michael's or elsewhere for 40% off. Some of the items are identical with just the SU logo on them- does the SU logo make them superior? Are they really worth the higher price when they are identical to what I can buy elsewhere? If you buy all SU brand tools when you already have another tool that works just fine, how can you make a profit?
I love SU products, but I love Stamping more!
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

just a thought- imo as a su customer (and possibly soon to be demo),
I would use the cutter at a workshop, because, i had no idea how much easier it would make my life to use one of those things as a prolific stamper/card maker. I will never use scissors again! i havent for years. but when i first started i did, because no one showed me what it could do. I think a demos job, should be to expand horizons in as many ways as possible.
even if it means using one without the logo. who cares? sell me on how great a tool it is, and if im at a workshop, already making a purchase, ill buy it then, MOST OF THE TIME.
as a demo, i think that i will show products side by side, to demonstrate the OBVIOUS superiority of SU products, then let the customer decide whether quality makes a difference to them or not.
misti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I appreciate that my Demo has told me about things that are the same as products availible elsewhere - and possibly cheaper! I really appreciate her honesty -- and used the $ I saved on those other items to buy the exclusive stamps I can't get anywhere else!

I, too, am considering Demoship, and this would certainly be one of my sales tactics.
Reply With Quote Likes