Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2005, 05:42 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mailing dimensional cards - Postal employee told me...

I know she was doing me a favor, so I'll pass on the information.

A few months ago, I was mailing a card with raised items (polyshrink) and the postal worker told me that unless I use an oversized envelope and request hand cancelling, that the postal equipment can become jammed trying to send it through the conventional way. She was looking out for both her equipment, and my card.

So a couple of weeks ago, I added some bubblewrap to the "bump" in the envelope. Was told my card arrived damaged and the polyshrink dragonfly's tail did not survive the trip.

What's the best way (including cost considerations) of sending cards, particularly those with shakers, layers, fluff and plastic that can get squished in the mail?

I know I am addressing the experts.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 05:57 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I use oversized bubble envelopes. They cost more to send but I know they will arrive safely. Once I've worked hard on my card, especially one with handmade embellishments, I don't want to see them ruined.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 05:59 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I send mine in one of those bubble wrap envelopes. It costs a little bit more but they've never been damaged.

Anyone else have tips?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Or take it into the post office and ask for it to be hand cancelled. I think they can do it at the desk, but am not sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:17 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I use an oversize card envelope, cut a piece of cardboard, (like the back of a notepad) to fit in the envelope. slide my card in- in it's own envelope, bump area facing toward cardboard. I get them hand cancelled at the window. Costs a bit more, size wise, but I've never had a problem. I only send cards like this to very good friends and family. Not to anyone that I know throws away cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:30 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks! I'll pick up bubblewrap envelopes at the office supply store today.

You have been a big help.

Nina T.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:38 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

At Christmas time, I had grief with eyelets. I had to pay double the postage! I was shocked!
They seem fine with them all year long until Christmas. Crazy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:50 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

This is what I found out and what I have done and it seems to work. The Post Office had me put a piece of packing tape( the wide clear kind) over the area on the envelope where the embellishment was on my Christmas cards. They told me that it needs to be really smooth and slick for it to go through the machine so nothing will get caught. I also try to put the card in so that the embellishment isnt where the stamp will be cancelled. I do use a small piece of bubble wrap over the embellishment to protect it or keep in place in the envelope and this also seems to work well and doesnt add weight. This seems to work fine with small or flat embellishments but with larger ones, I have sent them in a special envelope or had them checked at the post office for needing more postage. I always put a peice of packing tape along the flap rather than just glue because i make my envelopes. Another thing I learned from a friend is that if it is more than three sheets of paper, it will need to be checked for extra postage. Hope this helps someone also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:57 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I use SU's clear envelopes to mail cards with embellishments - ribbon, eyelets, buttons, etc. This seems to work really well and I've only received one back ever for additional postage. I only mail very flat cards (ie: only cards with a couple layers and no ribbon, eyelets, etc) in the regular paper envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:21 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default mailing bumpy cards

Here's what I've learned about mailing "bumpy" cards (I'm the queen of embellishments, so nearly every card I send out has something that sticks up!)

Anything that is "fatter" than 1/4" will require additional postage, even if it's under the weight limit for a normal letter (I believe it is 12 or 14 cents, but since I can never remember I usually use a 22 cent stamp because I have them on hand). I would recommend that you go to the Post Office and request a Letter-Size Mail Dimentional Standards Template...it won't cost you anything, but they will probably have to order special to get one in for you so allow 2 weeks. This Template is a big piece of really heavy weight plastic that has all of the important size info printed on it and sketched in. It also has a 1/4 wide slot to test your fat cards - the card needs to slip through easily on it's own (no nudging allowed). If it doesn't fit, you need more postage!

The other thing I've learned is that hand cancelling is only possible for local mail. If the card is going somewhere out of your local postal area it will automatically get tossed in with all the other mail and go through the
"grinders" ...ouch! That being the case, you need to allow for the fact that your card is going to get smooshed somewhere along the way.

Which leads to the next thing I've learned. You need to protect the card face in some way so that the stuff (brads, charms, whatever) don't get pushed through the envelope when it gets handled. My former fool-proof way was to put the card in regualr envy and then put it in a manila type envy that had been cut & folded to fit the card (a regular 6"X9" manila end-close envy is perfect for this - SU envys slip in and fit perfectly and you cut off the excess at the end and fold over.) In addition to the manila envy, I would sometimes put include a thin sheet of card board, placed on the side of the card that had the bumpy stuff. I never had one of these cards arrive damaged, so it worked, even if it was a extra work to do.

My new way of mailing bumpy cards is this: Place your card in envy with fold to the bottom, bumpy stuff to the back of the envy. Take another piece of CS, cut to size (1/4 sheet of CS for the cards I make), and run it through your crimper. Place this crimped panel between the card front (the Pretty Side!) and the back of the envy....seal, and send. It does require extra postage because it won't fit through the 1/4" slot on the postal template, but so far everything I've sent has arrived safely.
Another sign that this is working is that my friends have started to send me cards this way, reusing the crimped paper I sent in their card! The cards I've received are in good condition, even though the crimped paper will show bumps where the embellishments have pushed against it in transit. This method of mailing probably wouldn't work for really delicate embellishements, but so far it has worked great for what I've done (lots of brads, shrink art tags, tied ribbons, eyelets, pop-dotted panels, etc.)

I'll keep watching for more ideas - I'm always open to new ways to send stuff that gets it there safe and easy!
Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:36 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Mailing Cards

Susy, thank you for all your great information on mailing cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:55 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I read somewhere here that if you crimp a piece of cs and put that in the envelope it will protect the embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:57 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for all of the tips.
Member #2888
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 08:07 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Love the crimped cs idea - thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use the bubble oversized envelopes. They work great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 08:20 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the great mailing tips!!
Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 08:28 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Wow,,, lots of great information, thanks for the info on the Letter size template, next time I go to the PO, I will ask about getting one... that will be a great thing to have, Boy are they gonna dislike us now... LOL,,,,
Reply With Quote Likes