Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2005, 06:37 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Adhesive" Woes!!

Ok, I'm getting frustrated with my cards and projects falling apart the day or so after I make them. I have read posts on here about different adhesives but thought maybe some of you had some other insight on this problem. I usually use the mono-adhesisve and I rub on the front and back of the part that has been adhered. Well that's not working so now I'm going back to the double-stick tape. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I make a lot of cards and projects to sell so this can be very embarrasing. Carol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I agree- How I wish there was a paper adhesive that would actaully stick for a period of time.

I make alot of boxes and bags and it is frustrating to see these pull apart
:( anyone have a sure fire adhesive that wno't "buckle" the paper??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Default RE: "Adhesive" Woes

I have to say that the best (and also most economical) adhesive I have come across for all my projects (cards, baskets, boxes, etc.) is the SU! Anywhere Glue Stick. It really works! I can't stand the mono adhesive or SNAIL adhesive - my projects always fall apart. HTH!

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:13 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The mini glue dots hold anything together! (including fingers ) I use it for bagalopes (adhering the pieces at the bottom) and for scrapbooking - whenever I have something heavy or odd shaped to adhere.

The sticky strip double sided tape has the same effect on fingers and paper!

I haven't had any trouble (yet) with SNAIL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I haven't had much trouble with monoadhesive. Maybe I'm lucky? The other thing I use that holds really well is UHU glue sticks. My technique is to slather on as much glue as possible.

Debra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think the Sticky Strip works great for baskets and boxes.
I have not had alot of luck with glue sticks though.
I also use double stick tape on things like corrugated stuff and thicker things I put on my cards!!

Jenny

My name is Jenny and I'm a STAMPAHOLIC!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

The best for holding projects together like boxes is the Sticky Strip tape sold by SU! It is VERY permanent!

For my cards I used to use the TomBow mono by Viking and would have my projects fall apart days later. I switched to SU SNAIL adhesive and haven't had a problem since! Glue dots work great, too.

Wendi, SCS Member # 799
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/sahm_i_am
www.wendibrant.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Gosh! I almost always use monoadhesive and have never had a problem! Are you sure you are buying the permanent kind? I once got hold of some the temporary kind and it didn't hold at all! For ribbons, I love the glue dots, or Zots.

Hope you find something that works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:37 PM   #9  
GMC
Kookie Creator

Default Adhesive woes

Hi...

The best paper adhesive by far is a bookbinding glue that I was introduced to when I began the flower punch art (Leone Em style). Since I am out of town at my MIL's house and don't have it handy, I cannot tell you the name of it. A little bit goes a long way and it is a quick-drying tack too. It worked great on paper punch flowers and it works on paper, cardstock and embellishments.

I also like Tombow glue sticks, the SU anywhere glue stick and double sided tape. I have had great results with those and virtually no problems with cards falling apart. I even buy the glue sticks from Costco (green sticks, cannot recall the name) and have had no problems.

Where do you live? I am wondering if you have a lot of humidity or really dry conditions that would have a negative effect on the adhesive too.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:38 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Default Adhesive Woes

It's difinetly the permanent that I buy from Viking. I do use the glue dots and sticky strip on 3-d projects or anything where there is stress but I can't afford to use those adhesives on my cards. I used the double-stick tape tonight on some cards so I'm going to see how they do. I have the anywhere glue stick but I never use it because it's awkward for me to use because it's so big and messy. Maybe I'll give them another try. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Default Adhesive Woes

It's funny because I was thinking maybe it does have something to do with where I live. I live in CT and it's really dry upstairs where I do all my stamping. Do you think that could be the problem? I sure hope not. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:57 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi Carol,

I have always had great success with the mono, either the SNAIL version or the Tombow refills that fit it. And, rain, sun, sleet, or snow, okay, no snow here is So Cal, mono has always worked for me. So, I'm not sure weather has a huge impact, although it might. I buy my refills as Michael's, JoAnn's, and Office Depot, same brand each time, just different stores depending if I have a coupon or not. Glue sticks I find give out over time, and you are so right the expense of the sticky strip is too much. Did the card stay together that I sent your way? Just curious, it was mono'd....

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #13  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Here's my 411 on the mono.

Used to stick like crazy for almost anything.

Well, it doesn't anymore. Goes back before it became SNAIL. It just wasn't AS hard holding.

So when I use it, and I use it MOST Of the time, I PRESS down after I put the CS together.

And if you use ANYTHING, even thin ribbon, behind it, the mono will pop up near the ribbon. So for that I use something stronger, I have these sticky tabs that I don't remember the name of (box gone). If it's a thick ribbon, I'll just pop it up with dimensionals.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 08:11 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Finding the "perfect" adhesive is a full-time job for me and has been for 7 years of scrapbooking. (Same thing with finding the perfect wallet and purse, but that's a post for the off-topic forum! :lol

I think I have tried everything on the market at one point or another. I go through jags where I absolutely love something and wouldn't trade it for a hundred bottles of something else. Then I try something else and leave that favorite behind in the dust. Right now I am big on "ease of application." I LOVE the Tombo for that.

If your things are falling apart the next day, I'd have to guess that you've got a faulty batch of whatever you are using. Or, like someone suggested, the humidity (either too low or too high) is affecting your product.

One thing I've learned over the years is there is no one perfect adhesive for everyone. It pays to try different things. I learned early not to skimp on glue or paper cutters ... think about it -- what else do you have that touches every single card or scrapbook page that you make? You can cut corners in other places, but not on the adhesive and not on the paper trimmer, IMO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

I use a commercial double sided tape that is REALLY sticky. Same width as the photo tabs but a lot more sticky. I have used this for four years and absolutely love it. It is in a roll of 72 yards and I pay only $10. You would pay $40 for the same amount in photo tabs. Same holds true for the snail adhesive. The best part about it is that you can make it any length you want. It doesn't come with the easy pull tabs but I've never had any problem peeling. Not acid free so card making is good but scrapbooking isn't. If anyone wants me to get this for them, I can (plus shipping). I get it from a friend who gets it wholesale for his business. I have NEVER had anything come apart after using this stuff!! I can send you a sample if you are interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Gosh, I think someone really said it: There is no perfect adhesive. They are either not strong enough, too strong, brittle, messy, or way to expensive.

Costco sells scott brand glue stick and that is what I am using currently. I live in southern Idaho and we are very dry here as it is a temperatate desert. The old mono was close to perfect, but then they reformulated it so that it was easier to reel out of the cartridge and it is not so good anymore. Ever since Tombow switched to the new mono my sister and I have had a heck of a time with them sticking unless you reel a ton of it onto the back and then we just couldn't afford it!

Glue stick is messy and can somtimes be frustrating, but it is my primary glue now. It works. I also use Tombo's Mono Multi Liquid Glue in a white and green applicator. It is very strong, but a little goes a long way and it remains sticky even when dry, so it is important not to get it anywhere you think might be exposed or use to much. It is extremely strong, however. It has a consistency almost like caulk and sticks to anything and very quickly. I like this one when I am doing book binding stuff as it sticks fast and it doesn't wrinkle the paper as much as other liquid glues can.

I also like the two way glue pen that stampin up sells for fun things like glitter, but as an adhesive for cards, the tip can get dry if you leave it exposed and therefore not practical for most gluing jobs.

I also really LOVE the little stampin dimentionals that stampin up sells. They are really strong and flexible and not wasteful like some dimentionals. They are great if you are trying to adhere something with ribbon behind it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I love, love, LOVE Hermafix.....or as it is now called Dotto. I use the removable mostly and have never had a problem. In fact, sometimes when I change my mind, I have a hard time peeling my layers apart. 2nd favorite, glue dots. I know a lot of people on this site use double stick tape like 3m and are very happy with it. Good luck.

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:39 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I love the scotch doulbe sided tape for most things It's never failed me yet!

some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:17 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Most of the time I use mono, a few months ago I was having problems with my mono. I finally decided there was a bad batch of the adhesive out there. It was more like a cross between the permanent and the tempory adhesive. After that roll was done, my refill was fine. So maybe you have a roll of the bad tape, try another roll.
Good luck, Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes