Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-25-2004, 06:35 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to start up a stampin kit but inexpensive?

Hello stampers,
Will im just new to this and have only been to a couple camp class and loved it! Now I really want to become a addicted stamper.lol Anyway right now my husband just started a new job and the pay is really low and im just a SAHM. Anyway can anyone please give me adivce on a set that I can start off with and should invest in? And also the cheapest way possible I can go for now. I have nothing at all but maybe a couple of stamp sets and that is it. Thank you and hope some one can give me advice on what and were to start.=)
Janice
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I feel your pain! It is really hard to be a stamping addict on a small budget--but it is possible!!! I have been doing it for a year and a half.

Have you seen the new catalogs? They have some GREAT start-up kits already created that include, papper, ink and stamps and are around $50. They are incredibly versatile. That would be a great way to go because you really will have everything you need.

If none of those suit your needs (or likes) there are lots of great sets that are very very versatile and include stamps for almost every occasion. A couple of my favorites are mini mates (my first), a greeting for all reasons, and sketch it. They all can cover lots and lots of occasions.

Good luck and happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I would get a nice flexible set like Little Hellos. Mount the sayings on each stamp separately on the ends of the blocks so you can interchange them with each other.

Get some good quality cardstock in one or two of the SU families and the watercolor pencils and you should be good to go.

I'd pick up some eyelets and goodies at Michael's with a coupon until you can afford the SU ones.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

A Greeting for all Reasons was my first set. I'd recommend it because of its versatility.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 07:30 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Default Must have stamp set

My personal favorite is Mini Mates. I do not have this set yet in my hands, (waiting on my order from my mom) but it is one I have been wanting since I started stamping. The set is so versitile, that I had to get it. It was hard finding the money for it, with all the other things you need when stamping, but it will be worth it. I do ADORE the new sets that are put together with the paper and the ink, what a GREAT idea! I can't wait to get my new catalog so I can study it in depth (only got to look at it while my mom was here in Orlando for convention). I think mini mates will be great to use with the faux postage technique. Also, two of my other favorites for thier versitility are "The Fine Print" and "Figures of Speech". Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 07:36 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

I would also suggest a set of the stampin' spots- that way you would have lots of SU colors right off the bat. The spots are cheaper than getting all the large ink pads and you can see which ones you use the most. When you combine the spots with a pkg. of assorted cardstock and a package of clear envelopes you would have a great start!

Good luck!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

I would also suggest a set of the stampin' spots- that way you would have lots of SU colors right off the bat. The spots are cheaper than getting all the large ink pads and you can see which ones you use the most. When you combine the spots with a pkg. of assorted cardstock and a package of clear envelopes you would have a great start!

Good luck!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 07:49 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Default Find friends to play with

The best way to increase the amount of toys that you have to play with is to find others to play and share.

Do you have any friends that stamp or might be interested? Start up a little get together. Not neccessarily a stamp club with a demo where you have to buy something every month, just someone to get together with and share sets, pads, extras.

I had a neighbor who I used to do this with and it worked great. We always made sure to buy different stamp sets and colors of ink pads. Then we could just share and borrow from each other. (The only problem was when she had to move I wanted to buy everything that she had had.)

If you do have a certain amount to spend every month talk to your demo and see if she hosts stamp clubs. They are where you agree to spend a certain amount of money each month ($15 for 10 monthes or $25 for 6 monthes are the most common) and in return one of the monthes you get hostess benefits (a free hostess stamp set plus $15 to spend on whatever you want).

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 08:04 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

To me, it's so hard recommending a set because we all have such different tastes...

Versatility is all about being able to do many different things - with limited supply... So looking through the catalog and finding those sets that have both words and designs would be a great start - OR if you can afford it - a set with a ton of images and an alphabet set might serve you best - especially if you are a scrapbooker... Someone mentioned Greeting for All Reasons... great set. Or maybe you might prefer Sketch an Event. Or maybe Mini Mates or maybe one of the Little Layers sets... lots of options...

And is your interest in cards or scrapbooks or both? When you narrow your search a little - try to think about the different things you could possibly make with each set. Be sure to check out the gallery for ideas you may have missed with a set you really have a fancy for...

And by all means - I say find your Friendly Neighborhood Demo and host a show! There's free stuff to be had - and even MORE free stuff if you can get it in and closed before the end of August... especially if you are looking to place an order anyway...

Good Luck!!
:-D
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 08:08 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

And by the way dear...

we are not "just SAHM"s... we are women who chose to be at home...

no shame in that - just requires us to be a little more creative sometimes...

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Default New stamper

I've only been stamping for a couple of months and I got two sets to start with then- Watercolor Garden and Little Shapes. Little Shapes is retired now, but still so versatile and fun. But... I have to say that I am SO glad I got Watercolor Garden! I think it's around $26 or so, but I have used that SO many times. Just check out the great ideas on the gallery for that set on this site. It's a pretty set and you can use it for anything. Really. Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2004, 06:52 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I would suggest a shape set. I just got Great Shapes and was playing with it earlier tonight. I used the polka dot stamp and made a really neat background with it....I'm going to use it instead of designer paper...lots cheaper!

But to start I would suggest what others are suggesting...a set with images and phrases. I bought the bold brights spots and the versamark pad right away (I had nothing when I went to my first SU workshop).

Being a SU demo, I shouldn't suggest this, but do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? Their ink pads and stamps go 1/2 off every few weeks. They have Versamark and Stazon pads...plus they have the chalk ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

when i started stamping hmm four catologs ago..lol...i got nice and easy notes and some assorted cardstock, and some chalks...then i got more great greetings (which is now retired, but there are MANY wonderful replacements for it!!!) and like someone said about little hellos, if you mount the words on the side, then you have MORE stamps cuz you can use those words or images for anything... so i would say something with words like Little Hellos, or Nice and Easy Notes, that way you have words and images, OR a set like someone mentioned the sketch an event with a set like all year cheer!

Christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

Mini Mates, a set of spots and a pkg of asst. paper! I always suggest bold brights first. It seems to be the most versatile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2004, 09:17 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My recommendation echos others here...

- A Greeting For All Reasons, Bold Bright Spots, Bold Bright Cardstock and White Cardstock

- Nice and Easy Notes or Little Hellos with a black ink pad, a versmark pad and the chalks/pastels, Bold Bright or Soft Subtles cardstock and spots

-with either of the above I would also suggest a Spectrum pad - love those for lots of color!

You'll accumulate plenty over time...getting started is the hardest part. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2004, 09:58 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I would go with the stampin Spots for sure. Lots of color little money. Dont buy a set unless you can imagine at least 5 different projects. Most of the stamps named before are perfect as they cover you all around. Stampers 5 or Stampers 10 clubs are a great way to keep control on your addiction...I mean hobby and still get what ya want.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2004, 11:29 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Hi Janice...........maybe no one thought of this, but you might consider becoming a demonstrator. I know the kit is $199.............but when you hold a few workshops it'll be paid for and the company does offer some EXCELLENT ways to get lots of free stamp sets and accessories. I started two years ago, my husband bought the kit and I had $5, yes five big ones lol! My very first workshop was $0, but the next one was $879 so my kit was paid for and I had extra. Now I have two strong clubs and LOTS of fun customers and over 130 stamp sets (over half were free from the company!) And I make some money, too.
You can work it so you don't have to pay a sitter. I have grandkids now but YEARS AGO lol I worked with another direct sales company and supported the family with it! Also, you can probably borrow stamp sets from other demos in your area.........and it's a blast! Talk to your demo, she might even have a special going on for new demos...never hurts to ask!
Good luck and have fun!
Leanne in WA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 12:49 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Kit ideas

My starter kit ideas:

Stamps: Any versatile stamp set that the others have mentioned, or maybe with what you already have you don't need more yet?

Ink, choose one idea: 1) Full size black pad and watercolor pencils (or just buy some Crayola ones!) 2) Full size black pad and Stampin Pastels (chalk) or a craft store version, but if you're going to stick with SU products (recommend because you know things will match!), get their pastels. 3) Full size black pad and markers...again would recommend a SU set for color coordination, but any markers would do! 4) Set of spots in preferred color family.

Paper: White or vanilla card stock AND multi-pack of card stock in preferred color, or same color family as ink.

Other necessities!: Adhesive of choice...double-sided tape (I get it at the dollar store!), glue stick, or liquid glue. Paper trimmer.

These are the choices for kits that I made up before SU came up with their starter kits and, much as I like the ones they made, I still like my ideas better because I think they're more versatile and can be tailored better to each individual.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 01:20 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Patriot
And by the way dear...

we are not "just SAHM"s... we are women who chose to be at home...

no shame in that - just requires us to be a little more creative sometimes...

Michelle
My Mother who NEVER worked outside the home, when asked what she did always said she was a "DOMESTIC ENGINEER" LOL
I too have given that answer many times!!! LOL
Janice, you have so much advice that I will just say, but a set you love, it is the one you will find the most uses for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 06:20 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I actually wrote "Domestic Goddess" on my kid's emergency cards last year.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 07:05 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to second Keri's suggestion - choose a set you love; you'll use it. And all the suggestions for spots are - haha, spot on! The spots are a great way to get a whole color family reasonably.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 04:26 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Default more suggestions

I know I posted earlier, but had another suggestion. Even if you go with the spots, I would get a full size black ink pad in the classic, or the new basic brown ink pad in classic. These are great, as you can water color with them and they won't bleed. This is a must, as you can use crayons, colored pencils, or markers to color in pictures, but need something that won't bleed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 02:11 AM   #23  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I just counted I started 6 CATALOG's ago!! Oh well.. I think my first few sets were Birthday ones. I figured since I was going to be making mostly Birthday cards for a while I was going to just do Birthday ones. I think I got Confetti Cupcake (retired now) and Bold Brights cardstock, and the black ink pad and a few markers. After that the other parties I went to things just got "ugly" as my DH likes to say.. spending waaaaaaaaay to much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:35 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default Up date on my kit

Hi gals,
Ok I went to a workshop this weeking just had a great time! Anyway this is so far what I got ok, Had to get some stamp mist, cleaning stamp pas as well for I did not have this. And since Christiams is around the corning I order Red paper and Gloris Green paper. Ok this was just my order this weeking. Ok I also got not yet but paid for it and watiing for it to arrive at my house but I order 12 brnad new Bolod and Bright stamp pads, and I got some stamp sets that I thought looked cute about 18 stamps sets I have now. Anyway that is my list of what I got for now. I will be going to anthor work shop next Friday and when I do of course I will have to get more things.lol The demstroer over hear told me the way to get started is to host a work shop and I will recive alot of discounts. And also she suggested that I just get the set for $119 dollers the kit and it will have really everything I need. She said going the way I am may put some money problems between me and DH because they make you pay shiping and handleing to. Anyway I don't know I would love just the whole kit but right now I don't have $119 to put down on one. So anyway hopefully im headed the right dircation im going to try to have host a workshop maybe next month its just hard for me down hear to find ladys that like this kind of stuff.lol
Anyway I will stop going on and on just wanted to give you all a up date and see what you thought.=)
Janice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 09:06 AM   #25  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Yes hosting your own workshop is MUCH better. The free stuff they have is a good incentive to do so. To bad you didn't host one this month yet because then you would have had a chance to receive extra hostess $$$ for free merchandise I need to get Petal Prints ordered yet, time is running out!! :shock: Where did all that time go?? lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 08:50 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default sounds good so far!

Here are the things I always try to suggest to newbies...

Cutting tool (mostly I encourage they get w/ 50% coupon from craft store)
Stampin' Scrub and Mist
Neutral paper
Asst. paper and matching spots
Basic Black (or now Basic Brown) pad
stamp set (one w/ words is best!!)
monoadhesive

All this adds up to about $60 and is a great start. Then you can get more like glitter and 2-way glue pen, crystal effects, aquapainter, VersaMark, embossing supplies, etc. Once you find your favorite style of stamping, filling in is wonderful. And getting started now is great because you can get a Christmas list out to your loved ones to fill in your collection. Then you will be a well rounded stamper who hasn't spent alot of money.

I too am a stay at home mom and I have my 3rd babe on the way. My kids are 3 and 19 mths. My husband is just switching jobs now and we live paycheck to paycheck. So I understand your need to budget. Finding friends you can stamp with or asking your demo about a club is a great way to see the new supplies and give everything a shot before you buy it! I have one day a month where ladies are welcome to come and stamp 5 projects I've planned and look at all of my things. If they have questions about something, that is the easiest time to answer them. Talk with your demo and see what she would be willing to do with you, minus the recruiting schpeal. While joining is the best thing, it can be a bit daunting to come up with that initial cost. Maybe that could be your Christmas wish!!
Reply With Quote Likes